PDA

View Full Version : Any HR gurus out there - Advice needed

iwasthere1972
23-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I do most of my work through a recruitment agency and am due to take up a new role next week.

I received a call from the recruitment agency yesterday saying that the passport they have on file for me is out of date which I already knew. I haven't got around to renewing it and that would of course take time which I do not have.

Done some research online and it appears that an expired passport may still be valid provided I have supplied my employer (the agency) with a full birth certificate and national insurance number. They also have documentation with my name and national insurance number on it. From what I have read online the law changed a couple of months ago and an expired passport is still acceptable ID.

The agency did suggest that I could take passport sized photos to my doctor or solicitor, get them to sign the back and provide a letter stating that I am who I say I am. Now the problem here is I have seen my doctor once in 10 years and the same goes for my solicitor. They wouldn't know me from Adam so I won't go down that route.

Any help on this would be appreciated. :agree:

It will of course all be irrelevant if I cannot access Hibs.net from my new work. :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
23-09-2010, 02:32 PM
I do most of my work through a recruitment agency and am due to take up a new role next week.

I received a call from the recruitment agency yesterday saying that the passport they have on file for me is out of date which I already knew. I haven't got around to renewing it and that would of course take time which I do not have.

Done some research online and it appears that an expired passport may still be valid provided I have supplied my employer (the agency) with a full birth certificate and national insurance number. They also have documentation with my name and national insurance number on it. From what I have read online the law changed a couple of months ago and an expired passport is still acceptable ID.

The agency did suggest that I could take passport sized photos to my doctor or solicitor, get them to sign the back and provide a letter stating that I am who I say I am. Now the problem here is I have seen my doctor once in 10 years and the same goes for my solicitor. They wouldn't know me from Adam so I won't go down that route.

It will of course all be irrelevant if I cannot access Hibs.net from my new work. :greengrin

If you go to a public notary (usually based at a solicitors), with some ID - utility bills, driving licence etc, they can stamp and sign something to confirm you are who you say you are. I did it recently for ID confirmation for a legal dispute being handled by an English solicitor - cost £10.

iwasthere1972
23-09-2010, 03:33 PM
If you go to a public notary (usually based at a solicitors), with some ID - utility bills, driving licence etc, they can stamp and sign something to confirm you are who you say you are. I did it recently for ID confirmation for a legal dispute being handled by an English solicitor - cost £10.

Cheers - I will look into that.

matty_f
23-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Can photos not be signed by bank staff, if you happen to know anyone who happens to be a banker...

lyonhibs
23-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Can photos not be signed by bank staff, if you happen to know anyone who happens to be a banker...

PEEEEETTTTRIEEEEEEE!!!!

:agree:

greenlex
24-09-2010, 01:24 AM
How do you prove who you are if you don't drive and have never been abroad?

iwasthere1972
24-09-2010, 11:19 AM
How do you prove who you are if you don't drive and have never been abroad?

Both my licences have expired and as I have no intention of driving again (cheaper by bus) and don't intend going abroad in the immediate future I don't have any current licences.

I put this question to the agency "If you've never had either a driving licence or a passport how do you prove who you are"? The answer I got was get someone in the professional trade to vouch for you although they do not neccessarily need to know you personally. All you need to show them is a recent photo of yourself and they say it's you. :confused: Holy sh*t I've been with this agency for 10 years now and if they don't know that I'm not an illegal immigrant then how do they expect someone who has never seen me to confirm that I have a right to work in the UK. I've read online that an expired passport can still be used as ID but they ain't having it.

I'm tempted to just tell them that I am Lithuanian and have recently moved to the Gorgie/Dalry area. :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
24-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Both my licences have expired and as I have no intention of driving again (cheaper by bus) and don't intend going abroad in the immediate future I don't have any current licences.

I put this question to the agency "If you've never had either a driving licence or a passport how do you prove who you are"? The answer I got was get someone in the professional trade to vouch for you although they do not neccessarily need to know you personally. All you need to show them is a recent photo of yourself and they say it's you. :confused: Holy sh*t I've been with this agency for 10 years now and if they don't know that I'm not an illegal immigrant then how do they expect someone who has never seen me to confirm that I have a right to work in the UK. I've read online that an expired passport can still be used as ID but they ain't having it.

I'm tempted to just tell them that I am Lithuanian and have recently moved to the Gorgie/Dalry area. :greengrin

Seems ludicrous, but they are covering their own erse. They can get done for not having all the checks done as per regulations designed to avoid exploitative, illegal and/or fraudulent temps on the staff.

How about a dentist or a doctor?

iwasthere1972
24-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Seems ludicrous, but they are covering their own erse. They can get done for not having all the checks done as per regulations designed to avoid exploitative, illegal and/or fraudulent temps on the staff.

How about a dentist or a doctor?

I understand that the agency have to do everything by the book and as you say covering their own erse. I even went as far as speaking to a solicitors office yesterday and they said they would need a current passport :confused: and would charge my £35 plus to verify who I am. I don't think they could grasp that I wouldn't need them if I had a current passport.

Dentist or doctor? They think it's a cheek wanting an appointment for that purpose. So that avenue is ruled out as well.

I'm not overly concerned now as I understand that an accountant or surveyor can also vouch for me and I know some of them. The price of a pint should suffice. :cool2: