PDA

View Full Version : Why did the last 3 managers leave Hibs?

RIP
23-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Financial side
As our turnover continues to fall, year-on-year and our wages to turnover ratio continues to rise, our financial future continues to look uncertain

On the positive side we have assets in the training centre and a nearly completed stadium. There are more additions planned for the East Stand, the corners and romours of an enlarged pre-match hospitality building for season ticket holders in the North East corner fronting Hawkhill Avenue :cool2:

Football Side
History tells us that the last 3 managers all walked away from the Board earlier than planned. What message that gives job applicants I'm not sure.

Post-exit interviews with Collins and Mixu point to issues over lack of board support.

Recent publicity points to a sizeable section of the home support openly booing their own team and repeatedly calling for the sacking of the new manager before he is half way through his contract.

Would most managers now see the job as a poisoned chalice?

Strength of Squad
There's not much doubt that Mowbray inherited a talented squad to which he added steel in Hogg, Jones and Murphy. However once the sales started financial strategy started to take over. Collins won a cup but as Thomson, Brown, Whittaker, Sproule and John Park began to depart so his job got a lot more difficult. Mixu and Yogi lost Murphy, Jones, Fletcher and struggled to shed the infill recruited by their predecessors. The only highlights were Deeks and Murray back and the half-season we got out of Stokes (once he got fit)

So what were the reasons why our managers keep leaving?

Mikey
23-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Mixu didn't walk out.

Big Frank
23-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Is this the poll:confused:

:taxi for polls

scoopyboy
23-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Mixu didn't walk out.

Agreed, and neither will Yogi regardless of what the announcement says (when it comes).

smurf
23-09-2010, 09:12 AM
He didn't but he's certainly wanting to give an impression with his "I wanted to leave" comment in yesterdays Sun.

Hughes has to go but the board are those with the ultimate responsibility for the club and truth be told we've been a shambles since the board lied to us about Mowbray going to WBA 4 years ago.

RIP
23-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Mixu didn't walk out.

I've corrected the title on the first post but the thread title needs corrected too

Admin?

zlatan
23-09-2010, 09:16 AM
They all got caught making racist jokes.

Wilson
23-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Player unrest did for Collins. I believe his thoughts on the way players should live and train were way above the culture at the club (and Scottish football generally). Inexperience.

I accept Mixu's argument that he had little room to move transfer wise as due to the number of players contracted by other managers. That is where hopefully the board has been clever this time round with all the short deals and loan signings.

RIP
23-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I accept Mixu's argument that he had little room to move transfer wise as due to the number of players contracted by other managers. That is where hopefully the board has been clever this time round with all the short deals and loan signings.

This is what Mixu said on Tuesday
Paatelainen insisted: "It's a club that demands success. Yogi has been quite strong in the media talking about the expectations of the fans. He did fantastically well last season in getting the team into Europe and he really carried on from where we left.

"It's been a sticky start for them but people don't realise in any walk of life there are ups and downs. Yogi is working hard and I think the criticism he's getting from some fans is very unfair. He is a fantastic person, very honest and very hard working. He will be working hard to get things right."

Paatelainen left Hibs after just one full season in charge. He spent a year out of the game before Killie appointed him at Rugby Park in the summer.

The 43-year-old insisted: ""I don't agree what happened at Hibs could have damaged me. It was a very difficult time when I went there what with the rebuilding of the squad."

"We did well, brought in some good players and finished in the top six while rebuilding. I had some fantastic moments at Hibs. The atmosphere in the dressing room was not good when we went there. When we left it was bouncing."

sambajustice
23-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Would most managers now see the job as a poisoned chalice?

?

The Hibs job is one of the top 5 in the country. Poisoned Chalice?? perhaps! It wouldnt stop it being one of the most sought after though.

Probably a bit like the Liverpool job but obviously on a much smaller scale!

SlickShoes
23-09-2010, 09:41 AM
The one thing you can't blame it on is the fans.

Yes a large section of them may boo, they may not give the manager the time he wants but they are there, at the game paying to get in. They are at home buying the latest item from the club shop or in any other way they pump money into the club.

Football fans in general have a very close bond with the club, I have been going to games since i was 3 years old and when i go along to see hibs and they lose it hurts, i know its just football but i hate seeing my team lose. So when the team wins 4 games out of the last 26 it becomes very frustrating for the supporters, we all just want to see hibs do well and winning so little makes it very difficult to be positive.

There is clearly something wrong at the club that we keep going on these massive slides under different managers but a lot of the fans are still there, we get excited when hibs do well and we hate it and become frustrated when they don't we just want things to change and for the most part the fans know they can do very little to change whats going wrong, we have to trust the board and the manager but currently i dont think many of the fans trust either to get hibs back to winning more games than they lose.

RIP
23-09-2010, 03:41 PM
There is clearly something wrong at the club that we keep going on these massive slides under different managers but a lot of the fans are still there.

We get excited when hibs do well and we hate it and become frustrated when they don't we just want things to change and for the most part the fans know they can do very little to change whats going wrong.

We have to trust the board and the manager but currently i dont think many of the fans trust either to get hibs back to winning more games than they lose.

:top marks
Some of us can see it now if we didn't see it before. For the past 3 seasons we have been continually selling players and filling in with transitional replacements. The constant chopping and changing doesn't allow the manager to build the core of a settled squad that every team needs to make a sustained challenge in the SPL.

Every season we have had a great run followed by a slide. This inconsistency will continue until a more permanent change is made at the football club

And I don't mean the latest coach and his assistant

Kato
23-09-2010, 04:02 PM
The last three managers have had their strong points and their weaknesses. Collins was great tactically and a disaster with his man management. Mixu and Hughes have decent man management but are tactically one dimensional.

The next big investment for Hibs, after the training complex and the completion of the ground, has to be an experienced manager who wants to stay long term and build a team.

No more rookies.

No more managers who talk a good game but plainly don't know what they are on about.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2010, 07:33 PM
The last three managers have had their strong points and their weaknesses. Collins was great tactically and a disaster with his man management. Mixu and Hughes have decent man management but are tactically one dimensional.

The next big investment for Hibs, after the training complex and the completion of the ground, has to be an experienced manager who wants to stay long term and build a team.

No more rookies.

No more managers who talk a good game but plainly don't know what they are on about.

When you get a player like Stokes you know the window of opportunity to do something with them is pretty short. If we were every going to come close to doing something in the Scottish cup in recent years it was probably last year given the fire power. But then blink and its gone.
Then theres the aspect of decent players straddling managerial regimes - e.g Murphy being sold under Mixu (albeit Murphy was here for a relatively extended period). So for Hibs to be successful in building a team there's so many moving parts its hard to see how they all can come together in the one instant...

hibsdaft
23-09-2010, 08:15 PM
i think they're all living in the shadow of the mowbray era, under the weight of expectation that period led to.

mowbray was the right man at the right time, and built/ inherited an amazing team that played amazing football. those first two years were sensational.

it would of never happened if we'd not been skint - we'd have brought in tired journeymen and "experienced" dross on big wages. instead we were forcred to gamble on youth and inexperience and it generally worked - with the right manager for that scenario in charge.

i don't know if its possible to recreate that period, but if you don't chance your luck with youth you'll never know - was every player that made it big from that team really destined for bigger things?? i remember times when Brown and O'Connor were hot-headed overweight players with a total lack of direction who looked SFL bound. if you don't inspire young players and allow them to develop by blooding them then you'll never know imo.

i think its time for youth once again.

make murray captain, keep a handful of experienced, genuine pro's and then blood the 19s. give them an inspirational manager and chuck the rest. we'll be all over the place, but we'll do better than now, slash the wage bill and more importantly - it'll be fun.

Row H
23-09-2010, 08:45 PM
i think they're all living in the shadow of the mowbray era, under the weight of expectation that period led to.

mowbray was the right man at the right time, and built/ inherited an amazing team that played amazing football. those first two years were sensational.

it would of never happened if we'd not been skint - we'd have brought in tired journeymen and "experienced" dross on big wages. instead we were forcred to gamble on youth and inexperience and it generally worked - with the right manager for that scenario in charge.

i don't know if its possible to recreate that period, but if you don't chance your luck with youth you'll never know - was every player that made it big from that team really destined for bigger things?? i remember times when Brown and O'Connor were hot-headed overweight players with a total lack of direction who looked SFL bound. if you don't inspire young players and allow them to develop by blooding them then you'll never know imo.

make murray captain, keep a handful of experienced, genuine pro's and then blood the 19s. give them an inspirational manager and chuck the rest. we'll be all over the place, but we'll do better than now, slash the wage bill and more importantly - it'll be fun.

brydekirk
23-09-2010, 08:49 PM

murrays legs have gone. make him manager and lets have fun.:agree:

sesoim
23-09-2010, 09:07 PM
All three managers left for different reasons:

Mowbray was successful and got offered a bigger job. Collins made a bunch of bad signings, the team were slipping down the table and Petrie decided to stop releasing cash and thus force Collins out. The team was going nowhere under Mixu, and the games were awful to watch, so Petrie effectively forced him out as well. Hughes will be sacked because he is too stupid to do the job.

Petrie needs better advice before appointing a new manager as that is three flops in a row. Collins needed some management expereince under his belt before he came here, Mixu tbh I would have expected to do better myself. Hughes didn't deserve the job, and Petrie clearly was too heavily influenced by Hughes' pals. People like Jimmy Calderwood were available, and he might not have been a popular choice, but he would have done a better job, as would a few other current SPL managers.

mcaitchi
23-09-2010, 09:09 PM
murrays legs have gone. make him manager and lets have fun.:agree:

Maybe Not Such A Bad Idea lol !!!!

we appointed ?? , yes the fans appointed - the Kaiser - Suazee !!!

Did Anyone Boo franko ??? - NO !! given the good style of football and the losing poor late goals against us results etc - did The Board Back him or give him a chance = NO !!

We Calling For Yogi - and after the run since last march - i think we have given yogi enough time and poor results ??? :bye:

and i still think the hibs fans should be given a chance to say Goodbye To FRANKO

sesoim
23-09-2010, 09:17 PM

A balance is the main thing. We have about 9 or 10 players at the club that we don't need, so I'd rather see them sold and a couple of better quality players brought in with the wages that are released.

A core of about 16 good experienced players and 20 or so youngsters would be fine. If we could afford two or three Sauzee types to build the team around that would obviously be ideal.

Kevvy1875
23-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Wholeheartedly agree with this. We can NEVER hope to build a squad through the transfer market that will compete for honours. That is a serious fact unfortunately.

Scouting at u19 level and youth have to be the way forward. There are gems to be had in the SFL.

I give you Dorrans, Webster, Thomson(Burnley)...thats a few that have played well against top teams. They got their chance at smaller clubs wheras if they had been at Hibs it might not have happened. We need to take the chance we might take the odd gubbing as right now it feels like death by a 1000 cuts.

I also happen to think that the energy of the younger players backed by the crowd(and they will) will add an extra % that other teams wont be able to cope with at ER as was proved in the Mowbray era.

MoantheCabbage
24-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Some good post on this thread however equally some tunneled vision efforts.

The era under Mowbray was good but was that due to his managerment style or the fact that williamson had laid the core of youth and bled them before being ousted.

Collins forced out due to players revolt due to them not wanting to work hard and be the fittest team in the SPL

Mixu, rumours of players revolt again and walked after pressure from fans and no doubt players alike.

Yogi, seems like the same old ugly head rearing itself again with the players and sections of the fans. I also agree results have not been great of late.

I also know some people behind the scenes who advise that if the manager is not happy with any idividual player and express's his feeling about it the player/players are going to Rod and he is not backing the manager which sounds about right to me and certainly not the way to run any company as eventually the manager has to fall on his sword for it not the player/players.

Under 19 players currently on the fringe have been told they are not fit enough but rather than being in the gym everyday slogging it out they prefer to go shopping, go up town drinking and sitting playing computer games.

The fact is that until Hibs back the manager whoever that may be, to the absolute hilt and let him run the players how he wants them run this same circle will continue and we cant keep changing managers on a yearly basis.

All managers can't be tactically unaware and anyone who believe's that or thinks they are rookies need to take the blinkers off.

Franck is God
24-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Some good post on this thread however equally some tunneled vision efforts.

The era under Mowbray was good but was that due to his managerment style or the fact that williamson had laid the core of youth and bled them before being ousted.

Collins forced out due to players revolt due to them not wanting to work hard and be the fittest team in the SPL

Mixu, rumours of players revolt again and walked after pressure from fans and no doubt players alike.

Yogi, seems like the same old ugly head rearing itself again with the players and sections of the fans. I also agree results have not been great of late.

I also know some people behind the scenes who advise that if the manager is not happy with any idividual player and express's his feeling about it the player/players are going to Rod and he is not backing the manager which sounds about right to me and certainly not the way to run any company as eventually the manager has to fall on his sword for it not the player/players.

Under 19 players currently on the fringe have been told they are not fit enough but rather than being in the gym everyday slogging it out they prefer to go shopping, go up town drinking and sitting playing computer games.

The fact is that until Hibs back the manager whoever that may be, to the absolute hilt and let him run the players how he wants them run this same circle will continue and we cant keep changing managers on a yearly basis.

All managers can't be tactically unaware and anyone who believe's that or thinks they are rookies need to take the blinkers off.

Said something very similar on another thread. The time has come to not sack the manager for a poor run of results but back him 100% and allow him to build the squad/team that he wants with no hinderances from the board or fans.

We are under no threat of relegation after 5 games so I see no reason to change things right now.

Dinkydoo
24-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Collins - player revolt caused by conflicting views on fitness between the current squad and himself which was probably made worse by his apparent lack of man management skills. The boards unwillingness to give him any sort of decent financial backing was the last nail in the coffin IMO.

Mixu - hard task of reuiniting the team after two (i think) revolts under Collins. Made worse by a bad run of results which was mainly (IMO) due to his lack of tactical knowledge. He was very stubborn and refused to change froma failing 433 formation for months - by which point nearly the entire support had turned against him. final "nail" for Mix IMO was many fans threatening to boycott season tickets and not return until he left....etc Which left the board with very little option.......

Hughes - a bit more difficult. lost a lot of players over the past few years so he has the job of building up a team to meet our expectations. There still seems to be a bit of disharmony amonst the team (which has been going on for years now..), he's not the greatest tactically and probably says a bit too much in the media. I'm sure that he cares a great deal about Hibs and works as hard as he can, but unless results drastically improve and we start playing like "holland or spain" the fans will have the final say (like Mixu) on whether he stays or goes.....

Feel free to criticise. :wink:

Keith_M
24-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Surely there were different reasons why different managers are no longer at the club!?!?

I can't see what this has to do with a Poll.

Keith_M
24-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Collins - player revolt caused by conflicting views on fitness between the current squad and himself which was probably made worse by his apparent lack of man management skills. The boards unwillingness to give him any sort of decent financial backing was the last nail in the coffin IMO.

Mixu - hard task of reuiniting the team after two (i think) revolts under Collins. Made worse by a bad run of results which was mainly (IMO) due to his lack of tactical knowledge. He was very stubborn and refused to change froma failing 433 formation for months - by which point nearly the entire support had turned against him. final "nail" for Mix IMO was many fans threatening to boycott season tickets and not return until he left....etc Which left the board with very little option.......

Hughes - a bit more difficult. lost a lot of players over the past few years so he has the job of building up a team to meet our expectations. There still seems to be a bit of disharmony amonst the team (which has been going on for years now..), he's not the greatest tactically and probably says a bit too much in the media. I'm sure that he cares a great deal about Hibs and works as hard as he can, but unless results drastically improve and we start playing like "holland or spain" the fans will have the final say (like Mixu) on whether he stays or goes.....

Feel free to criticise. :wink:

Alright then,

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

:greengrin

HibeeSince85
24-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Colins went because of the revolt, the players at the time have to take most of the blame for this but the clash made it a certainty he had to leave, once the dressing room goes your screwed, also I can't remember who posted it but he wasn't that great tactically, McCann at centre back against Aberdeen put paid to that.

Mixu just didn't deliver, some times these things happen, he might achieve somewhere else but at Hibs he deserved the bullet.

Hughes, he's been in charge over some horrendous football and the form is just well it's somehing you can't tolerate, he HAS the players at the club and as had the cash to mould something here but is failing badly, also coming across worse after every interview.

2 bad appointments in a row now and Petrie now has to start taking some flack for this, I'm fully behind him running the club but could we please possibly bring someone in onto the board who is a football man and can intall some drive into the one area of the "club" that is lacking, if Hibs are this business that is growing in all areas bar it's main objective(winning team, results, entertainment) then surely the man in charge must see this and act.

Get in a Director of Football, charge him with picking the right manager for the team and overseeing the football side of the club and listen to his advice/opinions for improving what we have.

J-C
24-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I think there is a bad drinking culture at ER,( Riordan, McCormack, Stokes etc ). I've noticed on many occasions this past 2-3 seasons players blowing oot their erses due to their conditioning and fitness. Collins tried to sort this out but the players revolted, Mixu and Yogi seem to enjoy a drink themselves and see nothing wrong with having a bevvy as long as it doesn't affect their performance, well it did and that's why Mixu was on a shoogly peg and Yogi's now sitting on top of it.

We aslo seem to bring in players on the cheap and our talent spotting isn't all that good. How on earth can St Johnstone, Hamilton, Kilmarnock and even St Mirren pick up wee gems of players every season, yet we seem to sign so called decent players who after a few weeks at ER are out bevvying with the rest of the lads and are putting in the same lacklustre performance as the rest of them.

Dinkydoo
24-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Alright then,

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

:greengrin

:thumbsup:

I think there is a bad drinking culture at ER,( Riordan, McCormack, Stokes etc ). I've noticed on many occasions this past 2-3 seasons players blowing oot their erses due to their conditioning and fitness. Collins tried to sort this out but the players revolted, Mixu and Yogi seem to enjoy a drink themselves and see nothing wrong with having a bevvy as long as it doesn't affect their performance, well it did and that's why Mixu was on a shoogly peg and Yogi's now sitting on top of it.

We aslo seem to bring in players on the cheap and our talent spotting isn't all that good. How on earth can St Johnstone, Hamilton, Kilmarnock and even St Mirren pick up wee gems of players every season, yet we seem to sign so called decent players who after a few weeks at ER are out bevvying with the rest of the lads and are putting in the same lacklustre performance as the rest of them.

Nothing there that i'd disagree with mate. I can't say that I've really thought about the drinking habits of our players much apart from after watching a game last season - cany mind who it was against (think I've erased it from memory tbh) but it was Stoke's first full game and he (amongst quite a few others) were awful.

Yogi even came out and said the next day that he wouldn't tolerate any binging the night before a game, something about being (supposed) professional athletes at this level - it's certainley worth thinking about IMO.

Completely agree about your talent spotting point, we seem to spend more money than most year on year on signings and still end up with the same old Christian Nade.

Rant over :greengrin