PDA

View Full Version : Was Petrie in charge when Duffy got sacked

KiddA
23-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Was wondering if Petrie was in charge when Duffy got sacked.

If so he left that one too late when he brought Mcleish in.

I remember us being so bad that season then we brought Mcleish in and had a mini revival but all in all it was to late and we went down.

I hope and pray the board don't make the same mistake with Yogi and drag there heels like they did with Duffy as at the moment realistically we will be in a relegation battle this year on current form.

Thanks in advance fellow Hibby's

KiddA

smurf
23-09-2010, 02:09 AM
On the board.

JE89
23-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Good post and very true. Eck came in and did well but relegation was inevitable. Haven't called for Hughe's head yet but enough is enough. Good guy, good fan but not a good manager of Hibs.

oregonhibby
23-09-2010, 05:45 AM
If I recall a draw at Tynecastle save Duffy for a few weeks.

1two
23-09-2010, 06:10 AM

Did we not win which made it nearly impossible for them to finish second?

That was a horrible season!!

I was only 13-14 at the time and still remember it

Kaiser1962
23-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Dont think Petrie has ever actually "sacked" a manager.

But IF Yogi was involved in that nonsense in the dressing room last night then Rod has a decision to make. IMO.

andudare2
23-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Did we not win which made it nearly impossible for them to finish second?

That was a horrible season!!

I was only 13-14 at the time and still remember it
was a 2 2 draw bud, came from 2 behind. game your thinking of was a 2 1 win over the vermin in the next game at easter road, duff duffy was away by then & mcleish in charge.

marinello59
23-09-2010, 07:48 AM
was a 2 2 draw bud, came from 2 behind. game your thinking of was a 2 1 win over the vermin in the next game at easter road, duff duffy was away by then & mcleish in charge.

That the type of remark we criticise Kickback for. Surely we are better than that.

johnrebus
23-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Lets not get too misty eyed about the Ginger Prick.

He came in the February and had plenty of time to save us from the drop.

:cool2:

Steve-O
23-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Was his first game not in the March?

He almost saved us, but let's face it, the players were total garbage.

andudare2
23-09-2010, 03:02 PM
That the type of remark we criticise Kickback for. Surely we are better than that.
up to you what you want to call them, as for me i will stick to the vermin.

Hainan Hibs
23-09-2010, 03:34 PM
up to you what you want to call them, as for me i will stick to the vermin.

:agree:

KiddA
23-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Was his first game not in the March?

He almost saved us, but let's face it, the players were total garbage.

I remember beating Hearts 2-1 his first derby Lavety and Harper scored im pretty sure.

Jamesie
23-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I remember beating Hearts 2-1 his first derby Lavety and Harper scored im pretty sure.

Yup Harper scored the winner. Sure we were one down at half time in that game as well.

Jamesie
23-09-2010, 05:20 PM

I would have taken a defeat in that Derby if it meant us staying up - which, given Duffy would have inevitably been emptied thereafter, probably would have.

Captain Trips
23-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The players at the club at that time were poor not only were we bad that season but we were terrible the season before maybe somebody can remember but I think we went right through the relegation season without winning away in fact a run that carried on from previous season.

Folk complain about boo boys now, Duffy got away with it way way too long as the fans gave him time, maybe thats why me and others are less likely to allow a bad run of length to go quietly.

JDanielR1875
23-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I think it was Malcolm Macpherson who was in charge back then not really sure though .

Davy Mac
23-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Was wondering if Petrie was in charge when Duffy got sacked.

If so he left that one too late when he brought Mcleish in.

I remember us being so bad that season then we brought Mcleish in and had a mini revival but all in all it was to late and we went down.

I hope and pray the board don't make the same mistake with Yogi and drag there heels like they did with Duffy as at the moment realistically we will be in a relegation battle this year on current form.

Thanks in advance fellow Hibby's

KiddA

Did Duffy not arrive in the Kwik Fit flyer, horrendous when you think about it - Duffy was just horrible.

Hiber-nation
23-09-2010, 06:41 PM
The players at the club at that time were poor not only were we bad that season but we were terrible the season before maybe somebody can remember but I think we went right through the relegation season without winning away in fact a run that carried on from previous season.

Folk complain about boo boys now, Duffy got away with it way way too long as the fans gave him time, maybe thats why me and others are less likely to allow a bad run of length to go quietly.

Correct...we won 3-0 at Starks Park just before Xmas 96 - I remember that day, the yams were getting beat and we thought we had turned the corner again. Then apart from the play-off at Airdire I'm sure we never won away again till Morton in the first game of the 1st Division season - August 98

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Correct...we won 3-0 at Starks Park just before Xmas 96 - I remember that day, the yams were getting beat and we thought we had turned the corner again. Then apart from the play-off at Airdire I'm sure we never won away again till Morton in the first game of the 1st Division season - August 98
Thats the thing with Hibs and turning corners - we keep on turning til we're back at square 1 :wink::greengrin

Joe Baker II
24-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Was hacked off when we left but that was because he was good manager. Think you will find that we were in top half of league if it had been based on games once McLeish took over - and that was with a pretty dreadful team.

Peevemor
24-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Was hacked off when we left but that was because he was good manager. Think you will find that we were in top half of league if it had been based on games once McLeish took over - and that was with a pretty dreadful team.

The AEK tie aside, we were pretty poor during his final 10 months in charge (though not yogi-esque). He had the highest player budget of any Hibs manager and brought in new faces pretty regularly (pre transfer window). When the money was gone and he couldn't freshen up the team every 5 minutes he struggled. I wasn't that bothered to see him go.

Sauzee's run of results as manager was basically a continuation of how we'd been doing under McLeish.

Joe Baker II
29-09-2010, 03:05 PM
The AEK tie aside, we were pretty poor during his final 10 months in charge (though not yogi-esque). He had the highest player budget of any Hibs manager and brought in new faces pretty regularly (pre transfer window). When the money was gone and he couldn't freshen up the team every 5 minutes he struggled. I wasn't that bothered to see him go.

Sauzee's run of results as manager was basically a continuation of how we'd been doing under McLeish.

Would argue it was not his fault he spent money he was given (which came partly as result of players he brought in being sold for profit which successors also benefited from), which generally he did pretty well.

Agree there was decline in last ten months, but still managed to get closest we have done in recent times to winning Scottish Cup and although we were struggling in league a bit in 01-02 recall quality of football being reasonably good. Do not buy AEK game as an exception though, got in to a position where should have won it then bottled it in view of many which did reflect on McLeish and his European reocrd as manager until 2005-06 was generally poor.

Prawn Sandwich
29-09-2010, 05:10 PM

It was Lex Gold who was Chairman before he moved to the SPL Board I think? The equaliser was scored by that wee ex Celtic player who does Football punditry for SKY or ESPN? His name escapes me for now.

Gregor
29-09-2010, 05:50 PM
It was Lex Gold who was Chairman before he moved to the SPL Board I think? The equaliser was scored by that wee ex Celtic player who does Football punditry for SKY or ESPN? His name escapes me for now.

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/game.php?gameid=4444

a 2-2 draw at the city farm. Andy Walker got the equaliser.

Rotten day. I seem to recall I was still on the Caffreys from the night before ; never a good idea.

cockneymike
29-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Lex Gold was chairman, but Petrie could well have been managing director/ CEO at the time. Gold resigned when we got relegated, then Tom O'Malley who had been on the board as a nonexec director, became a nonexec Chairman.

Steve-O
30-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Yup Harper scored the winner. Sure we were one down at half time in that game as well.

No, we went 1 up, then Robertson scored a free kick about 1 minute after coming on, then Harper scored a cracking solo effort. :agree:

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/game.php?gameid=4444

a 2-2 draw at the city farm. Andy Walker got the equaliser.

Rotten day. I seem to recall I was still on the Caffreys from the night before ; never a good idea.

Walker scored first, McGinlay equalised :agree:

I remember these seasons in the 90's better than any of the last decade :greengrin

Gregor
30-09-2010, 10:41 AM
No, we went 1 up, then Robertson scored a free kick about 1 minute after coming on, then Harper scored a cracking solo effort. :agree:

Walker scored first, McGinlay equalised :agree:

I remember these seasons in the 90's better than any of the last decade :greengrin

You're probably right about the 2-2 there. I can't remember much about that week other than a monumental sore head. To gie James his due, I remember both Basher's and Harp's goals were from similar angles. Somebody had the game on yatube but I cannae find the link.

Spot on about the Harper + Basher goals. I distinctly recall dark, dark clouds and hail when the Evil Robertson score his free kick ; all which dispersed with piercing sunshine when Harps got the winner.

cockneymike
30-09-2010, 10:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Petrie

There you go Petrie joined the board in 1996 before Duffy joined, and became MD in 1997 whilst Duffy was manager.

Meaning that he was probably the one (as STF's man on the board) that pulled the trigger on Duff Jimmy, in the February of 1998.

Pretty Boy
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
No..Deffo a draw. I had Cactus Jack's at the time and went into the Rutland No 1 to watch the game. We were 2-0 down going on about 5-0. I was shell shocked,fearing the worst. The draw felt like a win and I've always maintained it cost us relegation.

:agree:

I'm sure we were 2 down really early doors as well and could and should have been more. I also remember Chris Reid playing in goals for us that day, although my memory may be playing tricks:confused:

Although i wasn't complaining on the day in hindsight the fact we didn't get beat was possibly the worst thing that could have happened. It bought Duffy a stay of execution for another few weeks thats prevented McLeih possibly picking up the points that could have saved us.

In saying all that i'm not sure relegation was all that terrible for us. Obviously it seemed bad at the time, especially with Hertz winning the Scottish Cup the same year. But i quite enjoyed going round some of the old school grounds, watching the team absolutely walk the division, after a very dodgy start, and seeing us bring in real quality players; Latapy, Sauzee and Mixu. It also forced a rethink on the direction the club was heading and prompted the beginings of a long term plan for the club, albeit with a much reduced budget no thanks to the Sky deal disappearing.

erin go bragh
01-10-2010, 08:19 PM
nope ,lavety scored the 1st[had a £10 on him ,1st goal 6/1:greengrin]
robertson made it 1/1 then harper hit the winner:greengrin
GGTTH

Steve-O
02-10-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ST08Vb40lk

1:58 on this for the 2-2 draw :agree:

Seems it was Chris Reid in goals too.