PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Collins was right!

Fantic
22-09-2010, 09:03 PM
If only the players and the board could have met his expectations

jacomo
22-09-2010, 09:10 PM
:agree: It all started going downhill when he left.

3pm
22-09-2010, 09:10 PM
John Collins wasn't the solution.

YetholmHibee
22-09-2010, 09:16 PM

:agree::thumbsup:

It's the annual accounts that really matter! :grr:

The_Todd
22-09-2010, 09:18 PM
John Collins was right about a good deal of things, but Scottish Footballers aren't ever going to go for his methods.

In a perfect world, he'd still be at the helm.

Fantic
22-09-2010, 09:23 PM
John Collins wasn't the solution.

No but he could have been part of it

Gerard
22-09-2010, 09:23 PM
:agree::thumbsup:

It's the annual accounts that really matter! :grr:
If Hibc continue to not win games then the annual acounts will be relegated:wink:
and the team:wink:
Gerard

Hibby 2005
22-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Collins won something. Yogi never will.

sam armstrong
22-09-2010, 09:35 PM

short memory mate. his signings were crap, his tactical awareness was close to zero and his team couldn't win matches (cup final excepted)

Littlest Hobo
22-09-2010, 09:44 PM
John Collins was right about a good deal of things, but Scottish Footballers aren't ever going to go for his methods.

Why the **** not though? :bitchy:

We're a****in laughing stock, we need change.

JC was well placed to make that change.

What he needed was backing from a strong board who bottled it.

Do we as fans not want to see our players as fit as they could posibly be?
Do we as fans not want our players to be as good as they can posibly be?

Again I ask, why the **** not?:grr: Players back for extra training? I think I'll have some of that please!:cool2:

pepe
22-09-2010, 09:45 PM
short memory mate. his signings were crap, his tactical awareness was close to zero and his team couldn't win matches (cup final excepted)
Disagree. His tactics were spot on, that win at Ibrox was down to an organised defence. He ALWAYS brought on the right sub at the right time. He had us top of the league at one point, so must have won a couple of games.
As for the signings? His hands were a little bit tied financially don't you think?
Look at how he improved Fletcher, imagine what he could do with the players at the club just now.
J.C was class! what a waste!

Fantic
22-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Aye ok then :taxi

(nothing personal mate but i love this picture)

Littlest Hobo
22-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Disagree. His tactics were spot on, that win at Ibrox was down to an organised defence. He ALWAYS brought on the right sub at the right time. He had us top of the league at one point, so must have won a couple of games.
As for the signings? His hands were a little bit tied financially don't you think?
Look at how he improved Fletcher, imagine what he could do with the players at the club just now.

Some of his signings were really poor but I do believe his hands were really tied compared to what Yogi has been given.

JC was class and will always be a legend in my eyes!

sam armstrong
22-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Some of his signings were really poor but I do believe his hands were really tied compared to what Yogi has been given.

JC was class and will always be a legend in my eyes!

As a player, yes as a manager no.

The_Todd
22-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Why the **** not though? :bitchy:

We're a****in laughing stock, we need change.

JC was well placed to make that change.

What he needed was backing from a strong board who bottled it.

Do we as fans not want to see our players as fit as they could posibly be?
Do we as fans not want our players to be as good as they can posibly be?

Again I ask, why the **** not?:grr: Players back for extra training? I think I'll have some of that please!:cool2:

Oh I agree with you and I wished JC could get it through the players thick skulls the pro athletes should be completely professional.

I'm a fan of Rod but letting JC go too easily was a big mistake.

Jamesie
22-09-2010, 09:54 PM

Really? Seem to recall a good win at Ibrox with JC in charge...

sahib
22-09-2010, 10:11 PM
The slide started with Collins.

Johnny_Leith
22-09-2010, 10:13 PM
I liked Collins, I still do. I thought he came in with the right ideas and principles but he had NO experience and I think it showed. He was good at introducing young players into the team and he would change things if they didn't work on the day, he got the players as fit as they've been and of course won us the CIS cup and had some good results during his time.

HOWEVER....Kevin McCann as a centre half. Signing Alan O'Brien and Yves Makalamby, first choice and expensive signings....signing Brian Kerr:rolleyes: thats just off the top of my head, I can't be bothered to look for more examples of his short comings.

Let's not embellish the past please, things might not be great right now, but coming to the end of JC's time we're no rosy garden either. Right man, wrong time imo.

The_Horde
22-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I liked Collins, I still do. I thought he came in with the right ideas and principles but he had NO experience and I think it showed. He was good at introducing young players into the team and he would change things if they didn't work on the day, he got the players as fit as they've been and of course won us the CIS cup and had some good results during his time.

HOWEVER....Kevin McCann as a centre half. Signing Alan O'Brien and Yves Makalamby, first choice and expensive signings....signing Brian Kerr:rolleyes: thats just off the top of my head, I can't be bothered to look for more examples of his short comings.

Let's not embellish the past please, things might not be great right now, but coming to the end of JC's time we're no rosy garden either. Right man, wrong time imo.

:top marks

There is obviously something going well wrong behind the scenes that needs sorted.

If that means giving Yogi a bit more time then so be it, we won't get relegated.

marinello59
22-09-2010, 10:22 PM
;2585172']:top marks

There is obviously something going well wrong behind the scenes that needs sorted.

If that means giving Yogi a bit more time then so be it, we won't get relegated.

You have more confidence than me.

Saorsa
22-09-2010, 10:24 PM
;2585172']:top marks

If that means giving Yogi a bit more time then so be it, we won't get relegated.You reckon? get him tae **** now :bye:

The_Horde
22-09-2010, 10:25 PM
You have more confidence than me.

It WONT HAPPEN... :worried:

sesoim
22-09-2010, 10:29 PM
The slide started with Collins.

:agree: Some folk have VERY short memories. Anyone who thinks he was a great managers should look at his record from about Feb 2007 onwards. By December we were in freefall. Even though we got off to a good start in 2007/08, we weren't playing well, and the results soon caught up. His signing were in general VERY poor, and some of them weren't cheap. And as for his man management skills:bitchy: .

Funnily enough, in spite of all that, I think he COULD still have been a good manager - if he had done his "apprenticeship" before he came here. Why did Hibs think we should give him his first chance? Collins should have been prepared to drop a few divisions or coach for a while like most good managers do first. Hibs should be big enough to appoint managers who have already proved themselves.

The_Horde
22-09-2010, 10:32 PM
You reckon? get him tae **** now :bye:

Well the way i see it is we are probably at the lowest point we've been at under Yogi.

If he can't get us out of it in the near future THEN he has to go but IMO we're witnessing the same story as our last 2 managers and i just think that we don't really have anything to lose by seeing if he can get a reaction from his players in the next few matches.

Expecting Rain
22-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Makalamby,O`Brien,Donaldson,Kerr,Courier,Joneliet, Morais.
Walked out the day before East Mains was opened.
8 Reasons for being shocked at people thinking he was the answer.

greenlex
22-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Agree with just about everythingbin this post.Apart from the signings.

jdships
23-09-2010, 07:39 AM
There is more to management, be it football or in whatever line of business, than just getting short term results ..
Good man management is very seldom learned - the best managers have an inbred ability to provide the necessaty blend of discipline and awareness of staff frailties/needs .
John Collins unfortunately had the "discipline" part but was not prepared to take on board the fact that most young men ( especially footballers) have different education levels and outlook on life.
There were evidently a number of cases where young players asked for/required help and they were ignored and told to "....get on and do the job you are paid to do " .
It seems the youth /under19 coaches tried to fill the gap and were advised not to "...undermine my authority "

I asmired Collins greatly as a player but feel he just does not have what it takes , overall, to be a top line manager.
This is born out , surely, by his not being "head hunted" for any top management job

See "Sesoim" post 23 for a good take on JC !!!!!
:bye:

brog
23-09-2010, 08:19 AM

O'Brien & Kerr were strong recommendations from Tommy Craig from his time at Newcastle. I think the jury's still out on Maka, if he gets rid of his casual attitude there's a good keeper there with outstanding physical attributes. Other signings such as Courier were born of desperation & no cash which resulted in JC's departure. Like others I think JC's man management skills needed refining but a couple of years on the sidelines & some inward reflection may have done the job. I'd have him back in a second & hopefully he'll do ever so well!!

McKenzie
23-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Collins had a better record than Yogi has, please Petrie :taxi for Yogi

JDanielR1875
23-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Good post John Collins has a fantastic football brain and we wasted a good gaffer there. Imagine the things he could teach Galbraith etc

Albion Hibs
23-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Good post John Collins has a fantastic football brain and we wasted a good gaffer there. Imagine the things he could teach Galbraith etc

Could collins teach Galbraith better/more than Man U?

HFC 0-7
23-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Could collins teach Galbraith better/more than Man U?

Yes

Albion Hibs
23-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes

Yeah thought so.

hibsbollah
23-09-2010, 08:12 PM

:agree:

Makaveli
24-09-2010, 08:14 AM
We would certainly be higher in the league now if Collins was still manager. Saying that we would be higher in the league now if Mixu was still manager :rolleyes:

For me Collins' side was a real Hibs side - set up to attack and excite but prone to disappoint. With Hughes I don't even expect anything.

Bad Martini
24-09-2010, 11:59 AM
What we need is the managerial "dream team"....

JC and big Mixu ... Collins called the yambams a pub team and showed more regard for Kev Thomson who he clearly had a deep rooted respect for than the yams and Mixu scored a hattrick against the cants. What mair could ye want. :cool2: ... actually, we could bring back wee Ivan Sproule to help oot wi the fitness training (his qualifications come from scoring THAT hattrick, from the bench, against THEM).

Sorted. :greengrin

Next :thumbsup: