PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Celtic 1985-1986 season

RoxburghHibs
22-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know, if video footage of the two cup ties at Easter Road , against celtic from 1985-86 season exists?

4-4 in the League cup and we won on penalties and 4-3 in the Scottish Cup.

Bishop Hibee
22-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I've never seen any footage of the 4-4 game but I have seen footage of the 4-3. The game was during a BBC strike but there was a camera on the area above the tunnel. No sound if I recall correctly but great footage of Eddie May's diving header for the winner.

Never had a copy myself sadly.

hibbybrian
22-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I've never seen any footage of the 4-4 game but I have seen footage of the 4-3. The game was during a BBC strike but there was a camera on the area above the tunnel. No sound if I recall correctly but great footage of Eddie May's diving header for the winner. Never had a copy myself sadly.

As I remember it the 4-4 game was during the construction of the covering of the East Terrace and there were tapes around the pits where the stanchions had been fixed but not backfilled and so there would be no camera gantry in the East at that time. That would fit in with your reference to the camera above the tunnel for the 4-3 game but not why there would be no coverage of the 4-4 game at all.:Ummm:

BroxburnHibee
22-09-2010, 05:22 PM
As I remember it the 4-4 game was during the construction of the covering of the East Terrace and there were tapes around the pits where the stanchions had been fixed but not backfilled and so there would be no camera gantry in the East at that time. That would fit in with your reference to the camera above the tunnel for the 4-3 game but not why there would be no coverage of the 4-4 game at all.:Ummm:

League cup coverage was pretty poor then.

I used to have a copy of that Scottish cup tape - sadly long gone :boo hoo:

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-09-2010, 05:43 PM
SC game was magic! Sad to say I was at Powderhall for Speedway the night of the LC game! :-(

Tam
22-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I have video of Hibs v Celtic from 8th March 1986

epperstonehibby
22-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I think i have a video of the whole game back home in Scotland,which i am more than happy to lend.Unfortunately i dont think i will be home till xmas.If you can wait, no probs.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I have a video of the 4-3 game on video so I need to get it converted to DVD as I don't have a video player anymore :rolleyes: is there a shop in Edinburgh that transfers to disc?

Great game by the way and even shows the smellies invading the pitch at the end :greengrin

wazoo1875
22-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I have a video of the 4-3 game on video so I need to get it converted to DVD as I don't have a video player anymore :rolleyes: is there a shop in Edinburgh that transfers to disc?

Great game by the way and even shows the smellies invading the pitch at the end :greengrin

I have a mate that does it for nowt !

Both those games were excellent, it's a shame there is nothing on youtube :agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
22-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I have a mate that does it for nowt !

Both those games were excellent, it's a shame there is nothing on youtube :agree:

I'd happily do it for nothing too, would love to see that game again.:thumbsup:

Davy Mac
22-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Was that not the game Benny Brazil socred a hat-trick or was that a different game?

Barney McGrew
22-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Was that not the game Benny Brazil socred a hat-trick or was that a different game?

That was a friendly at ER which we won 6-3, and IIRC one of his goals was a header from about 18 yards that went in on the third or fourth bounce.

I think it was early January time, and arranged at short notice because games were off due to frost and we had undersoil heating :confused:

Davy Mac
22-09-2010, 07:41 PM
That was a friendly at ER which we won 6-3, and IIRC one of his goals was a header from about 18 yards that went in on the third or fourth bounce.

I think it was early January time, and arranged at short notice because games were off due to frost and we had undersoil heating :confused:

I heard something on Talk Sport this morning or yesterday about his laddie apparently scoring for fun these days.......disnae half make you feel old :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
22-09-2010, 09:30 PM

Perfect hat-trick. One with each foot [one a penalty?] and a diving header IIRC.

A definite JFK moment - you defo remember where you were when Benny scored a hat-trick...

grantonhibee
23-09-2010, 07:39 AM
hi there guys new to the forum , was wondering if anyone has any footage of highlights / games from 80's / 90's ?? looking to start a private collection of games , would pay a good price for anything you's have? Or even for a lend to convert to dvd??

ive got games aswell to swap if intrested

cheers

Virginia Hibs
23-09-2010, 09:20 PM

January 26th 1985 IIRC. More or less all games off in Scotland and ER only ground with undersoil heating as BM says. No interweb to spread the news that a friendly was being played and word only started getting out on the Friday. Still a healthy crowd turned out to see Benny's finest moment! :thumbsup:

Bobo
23-09-2010, 10:06 PM
January 26th 1985 IIRC. More or less all games off in Scotland and ER only ground with undersoil heating as BM says. No interweb to spread the news that a friendly was being played and word only started getting out on the Friday. Still a healthy crowd turned out to see Benny's finest moment! :thumbsup:

You're right it was :agree:

sesoim
23-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know, if video footage of the two cup ties at Easter Road , against celtic from 1985-86 season exists?

4-4 in the League cup and we won on penalties and 4-3 in the Scottish Cup.

You aren't my wee brother are you? I was just talking to him about both games yesterday and how typical it was that there is no blooming footage!

tamig
23-09-2010, 10:10 PM
As I remember it the 4-4 game was during the construction of the covering of the East Terrace and there were tapes around the pits where the stanchions had been fixed but not backfilled and so there would be no camera gantry in the East at that time.

Aye, we moved to the old North Stand (a real treat back then) for that great League Cup run. Pish in the league at the time but we could do no wrong in the cup.

LaMotta
23-09-2010, 10:17 PM
You're right it was :agree:

Its widely accepted that Brazil got a hattrick that day, but I notice in the Pink there it says he only netted two.

Is the hattrick a myth??

What was the crowd like for the game?

Joe Baker II
24-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Recall the 4-3 game one being Eddie May's third successive Scottish Cup last minute goal in the cup that season. Was a game we never really looked like winning to be honest (Celtic were ahead for much of the game), which made late winner even better. Sign of the times that semi finalists we could have been drawn against were Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United who were all probably stronger sides then Celtic (even though they won the league that season) and despite knocking out one of the Old Firm I did not really fancy Hibs to get close to winning the Scottish cup - as the semi final proved.

Some Celtic fans attempted to take the Dunbar End goal down afterwards I remember, and recall huge clebrations in Hawkhill Avenue afterwards.

tamig
24-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Its widely accepted that Brazil got a hattrick that day, but I notice in the Pink there it says he only netted two.

Is the hattrick a myth??

Nope. Benny got a hat-trick all right. I saw it with my own eyes. The crowd was probably around the 10000 mark.

1875 NO 1
24-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Nope. Benny got a hat-trick all right. I saw it with my own eyes. The crowd was probably around the 10000 mark.
If I recall less than that, don't think the terracing was open and perhaps the dunbar end to.

RoxburghHibs
24-09-2010, 05:21 PM
You aren't my wee brother are you? I was just talking to him about both games yesterday and how typical it was that there is no blooming footage!

I'd have said possibly - but as I'm 37 and you're 36...... :)

Bobo
24-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Is the hattrick a myth??

Definitely a hat-trick as can be seen from the attached picture.

The Old North, Centre and South stands as well as the standing enclosures were open with both sets of supporters sitting / standing together. The crowd was just under 6000.

Hibernian

Rough, Sneddon, Schaedler, Brazil, G. Rae, McNamara, Kane, Weir, Durie, Rice, Jamieson.

Subs: Harris, Hunter, McKee, Milne, R.Rae.

Scorers: Durie 19, Brazil 31, 51, 87 (pen), Jamieson 36, Rice 45 (pen).

Celtic

Bonnar, McGrain, Reid, McClair, McAdam, MacLeod, Provan, P. McStay, Johnston, Burns, McInally.

Subs: Grant, Colquhoun, W.McStay, O’Leary.

Scorers: P. McStay 10, 48, McClair 49.

Kaiser1962
25-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I recall Eddie and Colin Harris came on as subs and changed the game. Of course Harris had the nickname "Bomber" so no originality shown whatsoever.