PDA

View Full Version : Question "Foul & Abusive Language"

Speedy
21-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Richard Hughes has just been sent off for "Foul & Abusive Language" for Pompey.

What exactly needs to be said to be sent off because players seem to swear all the time and get away with it, sometimes they are swearing directly at the ref.

Is it one of these things that some refs choose to ignore?

Any refs out there able to clear this up?

Woody1985
21-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Before every amateur game they always say they don't mind swearing but don't swear at them. The odd FFS ref gets let go but if you call him a ****ing **** you'll end up sent off, sometimes!

Irish_Steve
21-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Maybe he called the ref a Jambo

easty
21-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Before every amateur game they always say they don't mind swearing but don't swear at them. The odd FFS ref gets let go but if you call him a ****ing **** you'll end up sent off, sometimes!

I got sent off a couple of weeks ago for calling the ref a ****ing ersehole. I didnt have any complaints about the straight red to be honest, I knew when I said it he'd send me off, but I'd been keeping my mouth shut for an hour despite his farce of a refereeing performance.

I've only just started playing again in Edinburgh, played amatuer for the last 3 seasons in Leeds and I only picked up one yellow card in that time...came back and I'd forgot how terrible some (not all though) of the refs are up here.

I've quit playing in the fair play league now, some of the refs in the league ruin it. Too happy to turn up and walk around in the middle of the park for 90 mins, seems they only do it to pick up the cash and get the little sense of authority over people that they probably dont get in any other aspect of thier life.

random sub
21-09-2010, 10:07 PM
On my one and only trip to ER to watch a reserve game I saw wee Jinky get a straight red for foul and abusive language. Hilarious.... and the highlight of the game!

Jim Herriot
22-09-2010, 01:57 PM

What exactly needs to be said to be sent off because players seem to swear all the time and get away with it, sometimes they are swearing directly at the ref.

Depends on the ref. An interesting discussion by refs is at
http://refereeforum.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48002154

A common opinion is that saying "*****" after, say, missing a penalty is OK but saying "***** you" to an opponent is punishable. Calling the ref a cheat is a straight red.

The offence is called OFFINABUS - OFFensive, INsulting or ABUSive language.

StevieT
22-09-2010, 02:06 PM
If players swear excesively during a match I will remind them that they are in a public park. Swear at me and you are OFFINABUS!

I had a match a couple of weeks ago where, after awarding a stonewall penalty, a player ran from half way shouting at me to F Off. When he eventually got close enough I asked him who he was speaking to. He said "You. I'm telling you to F Off".

Needless to say he walked.

Remember it doesn't need to be swearing. It is anything the referee considers to be Offensive, Insulting or Abusive.

Woody1985
22-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I got sent off a couple of weeks ago for calling the ref a ****ing ersehole. I didnt have any complaints about the straight red to be honest, I knew when I said it he'd send me off, but I'd been keeping my mouth shut for an hour despite his farce of a refereeing performance.

I've only just started playing again in Edinburgh, played amatuer for the last 3 seasons in Leeds and I only picked up one yellow card in that time...came back and I'd forgot how terrible some (not all though) of the refs are up here.

I've quit playing in the fair play league now, some of the refs in the league ruin it. Too happy to turn up and walk around in the middle of the park for 90 mins, seems they only do it to pick up the cash and get the little sense of authority over people that they probably dont get in any other aspect of thier life.

Completely agree. If you've ever experience Brian (you'll know who I mean) or the big Italian guy you'll know how bad they can be.

There's only one cracking ref I've come across, can never remember his name but he's a big guy, 40-50, has short hair and a wee goatee. Best ref I've had in all the years playing amateur.

Mark79
22-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Mr Latto?

StevieT
22-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Mr Latto?

The day I stop being able to get myself around a football pitch will be the day I hang up my whistle (and cards).

Players need to keep themselves fit I see no reason why us referees shouldn't do the same.

Woody1985
23-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Mr Latto?

Was that to me? If so, I mentioned 3 refs so I don't know which one you'd be referring to. :greengrin

easty
23-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Mr Latto?

Brian isn't a good referee but I have much less of a problem with Brian than with some of the others, I sort of expect him to do something ridiculous in a game and for that reason don't hold it against him.

My problem is with the referees you can't even talk to, the ones who treat you like you're a problem child in a classroom simply for asking what you've done wrong when a foul is given, and I mean ask, not shout/scream/abuse. You ask them and they tell you to go away. I haven't had him ref any my games for years but Len was the worst for that.

I don't want this to turn into a rant, there are good refs doing Edinburgh amateurs. I can't remember the guys name but we had someone a couple of weeks ago and he was good. i'm sure he said he only does games in the west of the city. We got hammered in the game, ref was really good though.

oregonhibby
23-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I recall playing school football and a grade one referee was taking the match - grey hair with deep set eyes - quite well known at the time.

It was an education seeing how he kept control of the match by talking to players, joking and when he needed to be being very clear about your behaviour. I remember having a foul given against me not knowing why and he ran beside me explaining to me why he had blown. He spoke to me like an adult. I also heard him take on a player who was giving him grief, again like an adult.

The next week we had Adolf Hitler's relative who screamed at you just when he thought you were about to open your mouth. As I recall there were 4 players off and a pitched battle on the park.

I only ever got sent off once for suggesting to a player I was going to burst him for kicking me up and down the park all day. The ref told me that it was for my own good cause the player would have finished me off before it ever got to fisticuffs.

Ah the 70's Ah Harewood Park Ah the tackle from behind!

MSK
23-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I recall playing school football and a grade one referee was taking the match - grey hair with deep set eyes - quite well known at the time.

It was an education seeing how he kept control of the match by talking to players, joking and when he needed to be being very clear about your behaviour. I remember having a foul given against me not knowing why and he ran beside me explaining to me why he had blown. He spoke to me like an adult. I also heard him take on a player who was giving him grief, again like an adult.

The next week we had Adolf Hitler's relative who screamed at you just when he thought you were about to open your mouth. As I recall there were 4 players off and a pitched battle on the park.

I only ever got sent off once for suggesting to a player I was going to burst him for kicking me up and down the park all day. The ref told me that it was for my own good cause the player would have finished me off before it ever got to fisticuffs.

Ah the 70's Ah Harewood Park Ah the tackle from behind!Harewood Park Craigmillar ..did you play for Harewood Thistle..?

oregonhibby
24-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Nope Edinburgh Albion

delbert
24-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Just another example of the sporting media in general showing their complete ignorance of the rules, as 'foul and abusive' language as an offence does'nt exist, and has'nt for years. The offence this guy was sent off for was for using either 'offensive, insulting or abusive' language, might seem pedantic, but the changes were made to more accurately reflect stuff such as racism etc, but the fact that the media roundly criticise referees week in, week out and then can't even accurately report stuff which has been around for years is laughable.

Rossco442
24-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Like has been mentioned, I say to the teams before a game they can speak to me as much as they want throughout a game, ask me questions and I'll try my best to answer them and give reasons for my decisions.

But the moment they start swearing and shouting it's an automatic reaction not to listen, especially when you're in the thick of the action and you've got your "game head" on.

I try to to this because I know how frustrating it is to be spoken to like you're 10 years old when all you're doing is asking a question.

Don't know if it's my handling of it or the level I ref at but I've only sent of 2 guys in 3 years for OFFINABUS.

basehibby
24-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Well, swearfilter permitting, I happen to know that if you call the ref a **** ***** **** or tell him that his wife is a **** ******* **** **** and takes it up the **** then your goose is cooked and an early bath is guaranteed.

Twa Cairpets
24-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Years ago I was on the disciplinary committee of the Maybury League.

You had referees reports read out verbatim - most of the "foul and abusive" stuff (and this was the offence at the time) was the usual turgid "you're an effing w****/c***/useless t***" which generally resulted a 2-4 game ban.

One guy however got away with a severe censure for originality.

The report was read out:

"In the 65th minute, after awarding a free kick to his opponents, Mr Smith ran across to me and said Why don't you just f*** off and w*** slugs you ridiculous wee f@nny?"

How the hell did someone come up with that mental picture for framing his abuse? Genius.

Ritchie
24-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Mr Latto?

BRIAN LATTO IS A SAINT!!!!! :agree:

Ritchie
24-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Brian isn't a good referee but I have much less of a problem with Brian than with some of the others, I sort of expect him to do something ridiculous in a game and for that reason don't hold it against him.

My problem is with the referees you can't even talk to, the ones who treat you like you're a problem child in a classroom simply for asking what you've done wrong when a foul is given, and I mean ask, not shout/scream/abuse. You ask them and they tell you to go away. I haven't had him ref any my games for years but Len was the worst for that.

I don't want this to turn into a rant, there are good refs doing Edinburgh amateurs. I can't remember the guys name but we had someone a couple of weeks ago and he was good. i'm sure he said he only does games in the west of the city. We got hammered in the game, ref was really good though.

who do you play for Easty?

MSK
24-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I was sent off many years back whilst playing in the Maybury league for Kings Park..i tackled an opponent in the box ..perfect ball winning tackle but the ref blew for a penalty ..i shouted a question to the ref "are you ****ing joking ref ?"

To which his reply was "your off for foul & abusive language"....i was sent packing for asking a genuine question..:greengrin

This ref had a reputation for being card happy so it was no real surprise ..he did though come into the changing room after the game & reverse it to a yellow..

A few months later..same ref ...i tackled a guy out side the box...perfect ball winning tackle ....knowing the ref & his reputation i kept my gob shut this time & took my place in the wall ...he then walked up ..pulled out a red & sent me off as i was last man !!! :bitchy:....:greengrin

Again though ..he must have had a soft spot for me ..he again reversed it to a yellow ...

I love ref's ...:greengrin