PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Neill

Duffys13
21-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I apologise if this has been discussed, but I have been away for the weekend.

What do you think the chances of the above leaving his current employer for the Hibs Job?

Is this a bad option, going down the ex player route again?

Obviously a lot would have to happen first, but I would like to know your thoughts?

Kaiser_Sauzee
21-09-2010, 06:28 PM
IF we need a new manager any time soon, I want a time served manager at the club.

Ray_
21-09-2010, 06:28 PM

What do you think the chances of the above leaving his current employer for the Hibs Job?

Obviously a lot would have to happen first, but I would like to know your thoughts?

Noooooooooo The last successful exhibs player to be our manager was Eddie Turnbull & he already was rated the second best in the country by the time he came here.

We need to make the right appointment next time, not take a gamble on who might do a job.

bingo70
21-09-2010, 06:33 PM

I think he has all the attributes to be a good manager but i wouldn't want him to get the hibs job.

Used to love that man when he played for us, i'd hate for us to end up giving him the same sort of grief that Mixu and Yogi are getting the now

Duffys13
21-09-2010, 06:37 PM
I think he has all the attributes to be a good manager but i wouldn't want him to get the hibs job.

Used to love that man when he played for us, i'd hate for us to end up giving him the same sort of grief that Mixu and Yogi are getting the now

Yes I admit it rarely works. I also wonder if we will still have the same pulling power, when it comes to other managers. The last few years can't look inviting from the outside

The_Todd
21-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Noooooooooo The last successful exhibs player to be our manager was Eddie Turnbull & he already was rated the second best in the country by the time he came here

John Collins won one-ninth of all Hibs trophies in his short time as manager. I make him a modern successful Hibs manager. :wink:

BEEJ
21-09-2010, 06:45 PM
:no way: Not a former Hibs player next time. It was wrong this time and it would be very, very wrong the next time.

Regardless of recent management track record or experience or how much he was idolised as a player - NO. Absolutely 100%, NO.

Non, nein, het and in any other language that you'd care to mention - NO!

Ray_
21-09-2010, 06:54 PM
John Collins won one-ninth of all Hibs trophies in his short time as manager. I make him a modern successful Hibs manager. :wink:

So were we on an upward spiral when he left?

To be fair, he wasn't there long enough to be judged & he lost some cracking players, however, his replacements were rank, but the money he got to invest would have restricted his options.

SquashedFrogg
21-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Suggested the same thing prior to Mixu (or Hughes - canny remember/be arsed checking).

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted when Yogi got the job and would be more than happy to stick with him for the next couple of years, come what may (managers have to be given at least 3 years minimum IMO, but that's another debate)

But O'Neill strikes me as a very interesting proposition. I know people will say it's going down the old ex-player route but, as a player the guy was class. Single minded, stubborn, demanding - but class. Hibs have to take a bit of a punt with managers, and this wouldn't be a bad one. Again, IMO

Phil D. Rolls
21-09-2010, 08:29 PM
If Yogi got the job because he was an ex Hibs player, more fool those who came out with all the "messiah returns" nonsense. I think the main criteria for appointing a boss should be his ability. I don't think it is wise to appoint a Yam though, as they will always be up against intolerance.

mcaitchi
21-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Think We Need an Experienced Manager !!!!

Well - Hibs Have Invested in the training ground / youth academy / stadium etc !! - There is nothing left to pay for really ???

MAYBE HIBS SHOULD INVEST IN A REAL " Football " MANAGER ?????

burghhibs
21-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Remember meeting him years ago when he played for Hibs and was leaving and did not give a sheet about Hibs. Rather have A N OTHER!

Ernie Cobra
21-09-2010, 08:57 PM
would have him in a flash!!

Ritchie
21-09-2010, 08:58 PM

100% agree

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-09-2010, 09:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! NO NO NO! PLEASE NO MORE EX PLAYERS, CANT ACTUALLY TAKE ANY MORE! LOVED O'NEILL AS A PLAYER! THE RATE WERE GOING ILL HAVE NO PLAYERS TO LOOK BK ON MEMORABLE FROM WHEN I WAS A LAD COZ EVERY SINGLE ONE IS SLOWLY BECOMING HATED DUE TO ***** MANAGERIAL SKILLS! LETS JST GET SOMEONE WITH NO TIES TO HIBS......PLEEEEEASE! :boo hoo:

jdships
21-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Have we not had out fill of ex Hibs players as manager.?
Only one has really done the business - Ned Turnbull :thumbsup:
If/when we change let's hope it is someone with a real pedigree in management
The club, players and supporters surely deserve better than we have had over the last few years :rolleyes:

SaulGoodman
21-09-2010, 09:44 PM
I hear Jarko Weiss is looking for a Manegement Job :greengrin:

ahibby
22-09-2010, 08:54 AM
The problem with ruling managers in or out because they are ex Hibs is you could be ruling a good manager out. It should go by whether he is capable not of who he has played for. Eddie Turnbull didn't do too badly at first.

YehButNoBut
22-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Saw Alan Irvine mentioned as a possible Hibs manager on another forum yesterday, seems a good option.

Anyone know much about him?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/6953781/Alan-Irvine-appointed-Sheffield-Wednesday-manager-10-days-after-Preston-sacking.html

Ultra Hibee
22-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Mowbray for me, played the best football i had seen at easter road for a long time. Players seemed to get on with him very well and most importantly respected him which clearly they don't with yogi.

bighairyfaeleith
22-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Paul Lambert - How is he getting on now?

Ultra Hibee
22-09-2010, 09:59 AM

I would imagine we could not afford him?

Pretty Boy
22-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Too well to think about coming to Hibs unfortunately.

It's sad but true that managing Norwich in the Championship is now a far better job than managing Hibs in the SPL.

Andy74
22-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Bobby williamson is a time served, experienced manager with no previous connection to Hibs. Can't see that one going wrong give the criteria we now seem to have!

Stevie Reid
22-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Bobby williamson is a time served, experienced manager with no previous connection to Hibs. Can't see that one going wrong give the criteria we now seem to have!

Correct - the Hibs support will always find a way to put a negative slant on things.

For example, IF Yogi were to go, out of the SPL at the moment I would take Craig Brown or Derek McInnes - but if things were to go t!ts up, Brown would be an outdated relic and backwards appointment, and McInnes would be a Hun ****.

Broken Gnome
22-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Hughes and Mixu are our only managers over the last six years with previous experience. They are the only managers over the last six years that supporters wanted rid of. Further back, Miller is still despised by some, while Williamson is despised by all. Both were tried and tested.

Tony Mowbray and John Collins had no management experience at all - one is revered by many, the other won our first cup for 19 years. He also happened to be an ex-Hibs player.

No one gets the Hibs job because they used to play for the team y'know..... Likewise, a young and untested manager has the potential to be highly successful as much as it does a disaster.

new malkyhib
22-09-2010, 08:32 PM
What about another O'Neill - MARTIN?

...and i'm being serious. Available. Strict disciplinarian. Tactically aware. Proven Manager. Knows the Scottish game. No Hibs connection.

That would be a real "statement of intent" from our esteemed Board. Not a cat's chance in hell of it happening though:grr:

Hibernia Na Eir
22-09-2010, 08:41 PM
please, no more ex-Hibs men as new boss

we need a change:agree:

blairwallace
22-09-2010, 09:44 PM
this is being posted on brokeback as we want martin o'neil :faf:

sesoim
22-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't see why Michael O'Neill should even be on the radar. We gave him his career back at Hibs (after years as a Dundee Utd squad player), then he tried to walk out on a bosman, and his career quickly went down the craphole after that. Great player for a year or two, but not a Hibs legend.

Lets get in a guy who's proved he can do the job this time.

dunks
22-09-2010, 10:40 PM
this is being posted on brokeback as we want martin o'neil :faf:

new malkyhib (post #28) does :rolleyes:

IberianHibernian
22-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Not got time to read all the comments here but I`ve thought of MO as a good possible successor to Yogi IF he goes (and I`m not convinced that change will improve things except for usual first 3 or 4 weeks ) for ages . Don`t agree with the " no more ex Hibs players as managers " thing - Yogi was at Falkirk for 6 years and Mixu had some managerial experience too so they weren`t picked just for Hibs connection . If there`s a good candidate with a Hibernian connection then of course it`s a good thing . MO was a great player and seems to have done well as a manager so far but wasn`t with us very long so many fans won`t necessarily think of him as a Hibs hero . Also , why all the talk about Turnbull ? - I`ve got fantastic memories of Tornadoes but also suffered the team he " built " which was relegated after some terrible signings and results .

cheltenhamhibee
23-09-2010, 02:11 AM
:no way: Not a former Hibs player next time. It was wrong this time and it would be very, very wrong the next time.

Regardless of recent management track record or experience or how much he was idolised as a player - NO. Absolutely 100%, NO.

Non, nein, het and in any other language that you'd care to mention - NO!

what he said :top marks