PDA

View Full Version : Exiting the East Stand

superfurryhibby
21-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Sorry if there have been any threads on this before.

I cannae believe how long it's taking to exit the east stand. Part of the problem seems inherrent in the single long staircase design (there seems to be around three of these?) and is added too by numpties who get out their seats five minutes from the end and proceed to stand on the stairs. This causes those who wish to remain in their seats views to be blocked.

It makes me wonder how quickly the stand could be emptied in event of some crisis and given the recent performances this could occur sooner rather than later!

big-mo
21-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I could not agree more, having previously been in the upper FF, it was quicker to exit there even though you had to queue to get from your seat to the exit and then queue to get to the stairs before decending the stairs.
The East should have had a lot wider stairs or more of them, but that would mean less seats. As you say, howlong would it take to empty the satnd in an emergency, thankfully fire should never be a problem, (unlike Tynie).

bighairyfaeleith
21-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I have to say that I have had no problems getting out, but then I have been leaving quite early recently:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
21-09-2010, 02:24 PM
TBF in a fire everyone would just pile on to the pitch, so no trying to squeeze through the tunnels.

Ritchie
21-09-2010, 02:32 PM
just leave early. :worms:

Hibernia Na Eir
21-09-2010, 02:36 PM
was in the new ES first time on Saturday and its damn good :agree:

well done Hibs.

Tricla
21-09-2010, 02:45 PM
was in the new ES first time on Saturday and its damn good :agree:

well done Hibs.

Now, now.

Absolutely no positivity allowed on here.

:devil:

Golden Bear
21-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I can't see that there is any major problem either.

A wee bit patience and a maximum of say 10 minutes should see everyone clear.

RIP
21-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I think I can point to the root of the problem

Last season the East had a 3300 capacity and for games like Hamilton and ICT the attendance averaged about 2,400

This season the capacity has shot up to 6,400 and for the last 2 games the attendance has averaged about 4,800

The stand is the same length

So it is taking twice as long to get out

Lofarl
21-09-2010, 03:17 PM
A fire in the East would be a major problem with panic setting in. Yes Concerete does not burn, but Plastic seats do. They give off toxic smoke too, also we are forgetting that the stand would also be full of litter and very combustible material in the from of people.

The stairs in the east are to long and narrow with not enough exits imo.

Golden Bear
21-09-2010, 03:23 PM
A fire in the East would be a major problem with panic setting in. Yes Concerete does not burn, but Plastic seats do. They give off toxic smoke too, also we are forgetting that the stand would also be full of litter and very combustible material in the from of people.

But presumably the the Stand has passed all the necessary criteria for the granting of Fire & Health & Safety certificates.

If the Authorities had any real concerns then I'm sure these would have been highlighted at the design stage.

superfurryhibby
21-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Having just looked at a photo of the East I notice there are eight staircases.

No matter what it shouldn't take me ten minutes to get out of the ground from row V and the standing on the stairs issue needs addressed. It's causing "issues"
That said it's a fantastic edifice, I love the view and it's been good for topping up the tan . In fact they should be issuing sunglasses.

Jack
21-09-2010, 03:46 PM

I cannae believe how long it's taking to exit the east stand. Part of the problem seems inherrent in the single long staircase design (there seems to be around three of these?) and is added too by numpties who get out their seats five minutes from the end and proceed to stand on the stairs. This causes those who wish to remain in their seats views to be blocked.

It makes me wonder how quickly the stand could be emptied in event of some crisis and given the recent performances this could occur sooner rather than later!

I was at the back last week and timed it, under 9 minutes. I didn't think that was too bad. If you compared that to leaving the likes of the Playhouse when its relatively busy its lightening!

As for safety, as has been said before everyone would just pile straight down the stairs and on to the pitch, no wee turns at the bottom holding everyone up.

I think the likelihood of a few seats spontaneously combusting is extremely remote and even at the end of the game there's not enough rubbish to cause a problem, IMO.

For there to be a fire of any consequence, again IMO, it would have to be started deliberately and IF that was to happen I’m sure those around the ‘wilful fire raiser’ wouldn’t just be standing (sorry not allowed to stand) sitting on their backsides asking if the guy wanted a loan of their lighter.

So to sum up; 9 minutes to exit isn’t that bad and in the extremely unlikely event of an emergency it would be a damn site quicker.

... and yeah, there was a thread last week.

Sergio sledge
21-09-2010, 04:00 PM

How would a plastic seat get set on fire?

There is virtually no chance of a fire starting on the seating deck. If there is a fire under the stand the concrete deck will provide, I'd imagine, at least 1 hour fire resistance, which is plenty of time to get everyone out of the stand and onto the pitch.

As someone else has said, there's no way the stand would be open if it didn't have suitable evacuation times or didn't conform to the fire regulations. People just need to chill out and leave the worrying about escape to the experts who design these things and the other experts who gave the stand its safety certificate.

Arch Stanton
21-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I seem to remember from some TV programme or other that crowd crush is regarded as the main risk and they actually aim for a slower controlled exit. It seems counter intuitive but maybe not when you consider the number of crowed crush tragedies (and also the fire tragedies were in the old wooden stands).

That said it is still a pain waiting.

Littlest Hobo
21-09-2010, 05:32 PM

I'll hold my hands up, it was me! Being such a happy clapper at the moment I 'm alway's just sooooo optimistic thinking that our team could actually muster up a gooooooooal in injury time. #

I'm sooo sorry won't happen again anytime soon :wink::greengrin

The_Todd
21-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I suppose those of us used to the original east are just used to the smaller stand which you exited as soon as you reached the top of the stairs with the large open area out back.

sahib
21-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I seem to remember from some TV programme or other that crowd crush is regarded as the main risk and they actually aim for a slower controlled exit. It seems counter intuitive but maybe not when you consider the number of crowed crush tragedies (and also the fire tragedies were in the old wooden stands).

That said it is still a pain waiting.

As a former ST holder in the West upper. I felt the new stand was dead slow to empty by comparison. On reflection, however, from the top of the West you spend a fair bit of time to get inside to the concourse which is then sometimes slow to empty into the stairwell.
So overall it might not be that much slower from seat to street.

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Why not let fans leave trackside and let them out at the corner?

Arch Stanton
21-09-2010, 05:47 PM
As a former ST holder in the West upper. I felt the new stand was dead slow to empty by comparison. On reflection, however, from the top of the West you spend a fair bit of time to get inside to the concourse which is then sometimes slow to empty into the stairwell.
So overall it might not be that much slower from seat to street.

I suppose it could be slow - especially when some little hitler stopped you going down the corporate hospitality stairs.

A neat trick I saw on Sat was someone taking a seat in one of the front rows (quite a few empty seats there) - that way you could still stay to the end but also save yourself a bit of time in getting out.

Hal Jordan
21-09-2010, 06:05 PM
How would a plastic seat get set on fire?

There is virtually no chance of a fire starting on the seating deck.

Brøndby ********s managed it at FC Copenhagen last weekend...they used flares

http://www.bt.dk/krimi/39-anholdte-amok-efter-kamp-i-parken

E.T. is a Hibee
21-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Eh! WTF , there is no pleasing some people. I take it you one of the people who miss the old East Stand!:grr:

blairwallace
21-09-2010, 07:12 PM
my technique is to go down the seat, bloody dangerous but faster! :greengrin

Irish_Steve
21-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Why not let fans leave trackside and let them out at the corner?

Aye, and maybe someone could deliver a decent ball into the box as they leave

Antifa Hibs
21-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Is that all we've got to talk about?

Exiting the East probably takes about 3-4 minutes longer than other stands? WTF is a few minutes considering you'll have been out the hoose for a good few hours? :rolleyes: :confused:

bighairyfaeleith
22-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Is that all we've got to talk about?

Exiting the East probably takes about 3-4 minutes longer than other stands? WTF is a few minutes considering you'll have been out the hoose for a good few hours? :rolleyes: :confused:

When your getting ****ed by St Midden It's quite a lot:greengrin

Brooster
22-09-2010, 07:24 AM
I dont mind queing a bit longer to get out, its just the way it is but what I cannot be bothered are the cranks who feel the need to stand on everyones seat as they try to take a shortcut.

Ginger Gehagan
22-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I suppose it could be slow - especially when some little hitler stopped you going down the corporate hospitality stairs.

A neat trick I saw on Sat was someone taking a seat in one of the front rows (quite a few empty seats there) - that way you could still stay to the end but also save yourself a bit of time in getting out.

Yeah that's waht me and my mate done. We sit in the back row but went and sat in seats just next to the exit with a few minutes left.