PDA

View Full Version : The Life and Times of last minute Reilly

sunshine1875
21-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Sorry if posted before, as I could have missed it over the week-end, but what a fantastic read the Lawrie Reilly article in the Scotsman on Saturday was.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Interview-Lawrie-Reilly--39That.6538553.jp?articlepage=1

"I was born in a green jersey. Hibs were the only club I ever wanted to play for. Mind you, I was brought into the world by a doctor called Fraser Lee who later became the Hearts doc. After a win at Tynecastle - I think I got a hat-trick - he told me: 'I threw away the wrong part when you were born!'"

18 hat-tricks were scored in his time with Hibs - his only club!

In England, Manchester United were great admirers of the Famous Five. Maybe after this week Old Trafford won't be in a hurry to see another Scottish team, but Reilly & Co received regular invites for friendly matches, once winning 7-3 in front of 70,000. "Matt Busby - who'd guested with Hibs during the war - used to put an arm round me and say: 'Would you like to play for Man United, son?' I was flattered, and I suppose I could have earned more at a club like that, but I was a Hibs man. Money didn't come into it. You never gave it a thought."

"The Life and Times of Last minute Reilly" is due for release next month. A perfect Christmas present for a Hibs supporter!

What a fantastic man! Anyone else have a Lawrie Reilly story?

Sammy7nil
21-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry if posted before, as I could have missed it over the week-end, but what a fantastic read the Lawrie Reilly article in the Scotsman on Saturday was.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Interview-Lawrie-Reilly--39That.6538553.jp?articlepage=1

"I was born in a green jersey. Hibs were the only club I ever wanted to play for. Mind you, I was brought into the world by a doctor called Fraser Lee who later became the Hearts doc. After a win at Tynecastle - I think I got a hat-trick - he told me: 'I threw away the wrong part when you were born!'"

In England, Manchester United were great admirers of the Famous Five. Maybe after this week Old Trafford won't be in a hurry to see another Scottish team, but Reilly & Co received regular invites for friendly matches, once winning 7-3 in front of 70,000. "Matt Busby - who'd guested with Hibs during the war - used to put an arm round me and say: 'Would you like to play for Man United, son?' I was flattered, and I suppose I could have earned more at a club like that, but I was a Hibs man. Money didn't come into it. You never gave it a thought."

"The Life and Times of Last minute Reilly" is due for release next month. A perfect Christmas present for a Hibs supporter!

A true gent when you meet him.

Dan Sarf
21-09-2010, 12:06 PM

When I was a wee lad, the Weekly News published an article about combining the skills of various players to make the perfect footballer. George Young's tackling, Bobby Collin's passing, etc. (mostly Old Firm players, of course). So I sent them a letter saying the perfect footballer would have Lawrie Reilly's heading, Lawrie Reilly's shooting, Lawrie Reilly's passing, etc. They published it under the headline "Lawrie Lordy!: I kept the cheque I got (10/6p) for ages but finally cashed it in!

KeithTheHibby
21-09-2010, 12:06 PM

There are Hibs legends and then there is Lawrie Reilly.

IWasThere2016
21-09-2010, 12:32 PM

I'll be telling Santa! :thumbsup:

:agree: And a true legend!

Stantons Angel
21-09-2010, 10:11 PM
An honourable true gentleman and i love him to bits. (he would add aye after Pat Stanton!)
Never seen him play but not heard a bad word said against the man from any teams supporters of that generation.
He is always willing to go that extra mile to help put a smile on someone's face.
God bless you Lawrie. (and Pat Stanton) :greengrin
xxx

sunshine1875
22-09-2010, 11:06 AM
As a matter of interest, when did they start using the "Last Minute Reilly" tag.

Dan Sarf
22-09-2010, 03:57 PM
As a matter of interest, when did they start using the "Last Minute Reilly" tag.

I've seen it linked to a last-minute goal he scored for Scotland against England at Wembley (I think it gave us a draw). Not sure if he was called it before then. But the shout was always "Gie The Ba' Tae Reilly!" due to his never-say-die attitude right up to the final whistle.

Wish he was playing tonight.

hibbybrian
22-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I've seen it linked to a last-minute goal he scored for Scotland against England at Wembley (I think it gave us a draw). Not sure if he was called it before then. But the shout was always "Gie The Ba' Tae Reilly!" due to his never-say-die attitude right up to the final whistle. Wish he was playing tonight.

Lawrie scored in the last minute at Wembley in 1953 to give 10 man Scotland a 2-2 draw - in all he scored 5 goals in 5 games against England at Wembley :not worth

30 years ago I used to be served my "lunch" by the great man a few times a week in his pub :greengrin and he was always happy to chat away about his beloved Hibees :thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
22-09-2010, 04:48 PM

My understanding is that Lawrie earned the tag after the 1953 international against England when he equalised for Scotland to make it 2-2 in the dying seconds.

He should have been given a knighthood there and then. :wink:

Edit: The experts got there before me. :wink: