PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie O'Sullivan

lyonhibs
20-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, he's a cocky git, and a bit dismissive, but the man is a freakin' magician with a cue in his hand. I like the odd frame of snooker, but the mastery of power, angles and technique required to pot, position and plan like the top players do is beyond my comprehension.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9016499.stm

Houchy
25-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, he's a cocky git, and a bit dismissive, but the man is a freakin' magician with a cue in his hand. I like the odd frame of snooker, but the mastery of power, angles and technique required to pot, position and plan like the top players do is beyond my comprehension.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9016499.stm

I agree that he is absolutely fantastic to watch when in ful flow but for someone like him to be representing the top of his sport, he needs to give himself a shake.:agree:

For him to rack up that 140 break then consider not knocking in the black is ridiculous. It could have been construed by some as some form of match fixing.

I only just saw it today and while I knew that he had to be convinced by the ref to pot the black, I can't believe that he totally blanked the other player, who was waiting to offer the handshake.

He is clearly a genius on the table but too many demons going on inside his head and I, for 1, hope that he gets pumped every time he plays now.

It's a pity because I actually liked his cockyness as I felt that he was one person that could afford to be cocky but as it happens, I now just think he's a cock.

Not that he's bothered of course:greengrin

matty_f
25-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I agree that he is absolutely fantastic to watch when in ful flow but for someone like him to be representing the top of his sport, he needs to give himself a shake.:agree:

For him to rack up that 140 break then consider not knocking in the black is ridiculous. It could have been construed by some as some form of match fixing.

I only just saw it today and while I knew that he had to be convinced by the ref to pot the black, I can't believe that he totally blanked the other player, who was waiting to offer the handshake.

He is clearly a genius on the table but too many demons going on inside his head and I, for 1, hope that he gets pumped every time he plays now.

It's a pity because I actually liked his cockyness as I felt that he was one person that could afford to be cocky but as it happens, I now just think he's a cock.

He did shake the other boy's hand, before he put the black in - the other guy was waiting to shake the ref's hand, which he did.

Houchy
26-09-2010, 03:18 PM
He did shake the other boy's hand, before he put the black in - the other guy was waiting to shake the ref's hand, which he did.

Ah, never seen that. Sorry Ronnie:wink:

I just saw (was it Mark King???) holding his hand out and Ronnie walking away.

Borders Hibby
26-09-2010, 03:38 PM

He did shake his hand. He also suffers with depression so telling him to give himself a shake maybe isnt good advice. He does therefore come across as cockybut what a talent!:agree:

Houchy
26-09-2010, 03:53 PM
He did shake his hand. He also suffers with depression so telling him to give himself a shake maybe isnt good advice. He does therefore come across as cockybut what a talent!:agree:

He comes across as cocky because he has depression???:confused:

I also stated that I missed him shaking the other players hand and apologised for that but I also maintain that for someone at the top of their sport, they should carry themselves a bit better than he has in the past and realise his role as a role model for youngsters.

Tiger Woods has really let himself slip at this in recent months with the spitting, slamming clubs etc and comes under a lot of scrutiny for it (and rightly so) yet Ronnie O' Sullivan doesn't seem to have nearly as much criticism when he goes off on one (smashing up queues etc).

Borders Hibby
26-09-2010, 07:57 PM
He comes across as cocky because he has depression???:confused:

I also stated that I missed him shaking the other players hand and apologised for that but I also maintain that for someone at the top of their sport, they should carry themselves a bit better than he has in the past and realise his role as a role model for youngsters.

Tiger Woods has really let himself slip at this in recent months with the spitting, slamming clubs etc and comes under a lot of scrutiny for it (and rightly so) yet Ronnie O' Sullivan doesn't seem to have nearly as much criticism when he goes off on one (smashing up queues etc).

I dont excuse the behaviour, but sometimes a little understanding of his background and mental state could help understanding where it comes from. Its not as simple as giving himself a shake, but he has stopped drinking, been on medication and been through rehab, so while sometimes he comes across as a cock I think he is worth admiration for facing up to his illness. And he is great to watch.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2010, 10:10 AM

What form of match fixing would it be classed as? Given that he won the frame and the match?!

Houchy
27-09-2010, 11:26 AM
What form of match fixing would it be classed as? Given that he won the frame and the match?!

No 147's in the match, or the tournament???

Highest break of the tournament... 140???

Hibs Class
27-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Betting on the highest break being a 140? May be better calling it a betting scam rather than match fixing.

Houchy
27-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Betting on the highest break being a 140? May be better calling it a betting scam rather than match fixing.

:agree:With the John Higgins scandle bringing Snooker under question recently, I just feel that it could have been brought into question.