PDA

View Full Version : NHC Argentina's strange league

steviecarnie
20-09-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2010/09/why_the_argentine_rollercoaste.html

Having read this, I cant help but think, this could work in Scotland, not the relegated after 3 seasons part, but Argentina stages 2 seperate championships a year, in which the 20 teams play each other once. The shorter the season, the greater the chance of a surprise.

adapted for scotland we could have the standard August - December 19 games then with a winter break/close season in Jan, Start again a fresh in feb and run into first week of june (if needed)

for europe at the end of a season the teams who finished in euro spots in the 2 seasons, could have playoffs (2legs) to determine which one went into the europa.

obviously i know the Bigot brothers would never agree to this, but would be a lot more entertaining for us and the tv companies.

Ozyhibby
21-09-2010, 06:58 AM
A better solution would be to impose a salary cap in the SPL of £5m per squad per season.

(((Fergus)))
21-09-2010, 07:28 AM
A better solution would be to impose a salary cap in the SPL of £5m per squad per season.

What if Hibs were qualifying consistently for the Champions League? We'd never be able to compete

Caversham Green
21-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I think a two season year might be a good idea - how about this:

Part 1: Aug-Nov is the League Cup, run by the SFL/SFA. Four leagues of 10 (or 2x10 & 2x11) with the SPL clubs seeded 1, 2, and 3 depending on last season's league placings and the rest drawn at random (or also seeded). Play each other twice and the League winners go to a semi-final.

Winter break.

Part 2: Feb-May: SPL and leagues as they stand now, playing each other twice.

The winners of part 1 and part 2 (if different) play each other at Hampden (or home and away) to determine the overall champions.

SlickShoes
21-09-2010, 08:13 AM
They won't even simply expand the league to 16 so that we dont play teams 4 times a season, sometimes as many as 6 times a season.

There is NO chance of anything as radical as this, scottish football is doomed and has been for some time.

Steve-O
21-09-2010, 08:36 AM
The way it is, is boring as ****. But, they are too scared to change anything. Although maybe Henry McLeish's big think tank will change EVERYTHING!

Or not. :rolleyes:

Woody1985
21-09-2010, 11:39 AM
They OF won't expand the league to play each other twice because they know there's more chance of other teams getting closer to them. There's no chance of this or anything else detrimental to the OF ever happening and to be honest, the Argentine system is ****.

People moan about the split FFS and that gives meaning to more teams than all/almost any other leagues towards the end of the season, I can't think of any other leagues where there's more to play for than the split.

You would all be greetin like donald duck if we never got home allocatation against any good teams in each part of the season so don't all pretend you'd like this!

As for potentially winning the league and then getting relegated, that's a joke. Even the SFA couldn't think of something so stupid. I know it's unlikely if the win the league (I read it yesterday).

Leith_Hibee
21-09-2010, 12:03 PM
McLeish has only concluded the 1st part of his findings into Grassroots football. Does anyone know the timescales on the other two parts?

I'm sure the 3rd part is going to be on the elite game and structure.