PDA

View Full Version : The new stand - will it .............

Sammy7nil
20-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Prove to be a a MAJOR problem for Hibs?

The team is poorer because we have to pay the bills.
I dont think we will EVER fill it whilst Yogi is there and we are a million miles away from playing entertaining football that may fill it.

Next season fans will think long and hard about a £430 season ticket when you can pick and choose your games and you can walk up on the day and still get a seat beside your mates.

Once you stop getting season ticket your are a baw hair away from stopping going.

The_Todd
20-09-2010, 12:41 PM
The new stand has nothing to do with the reason the players aren't performing.

BSEJVT
20-09-2010, 04:02 PM
The new stand has nothing to do with the reason the players aren't performing.

Sam,

Stop going and join a golf club with the cash.

Get a handicap and enter into opens.

Get to play quality courses for next to nothing

You know it makes sense

Mikey
20-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Why are people so obsessed with "filling" the stand?

It doesn't need to be filled, it just has to provide more seats and a better match day experience. It does both of those things.

The new stand aint the problem!

PaulSmith
20-09-2010, 04:30 PM

It doesn't need to be filled, it just has to provide more seats and a better match day experience. It does both of those things.

Indeed Mikey, it just seems to be the way that when something is improved in Scotland (and especially in Scottish fitba) there are more than often the "Aye but.." brigade to put you down.

It seems like a maroon swayed discussion at the moment, FFS all we've done is increase the capacity by 10% and completed the stadium into the best medium sized one in Scotland by a country mile. It's not freakin Wembley that we've built, for the last 50 years Hibs fans didn't have to buy a season ticket to get into ER but now cause we have a fantastic stadium they won't come back?!!

It's all to do with the product on the park.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I think the 'new stand curse' debates are utterly pointless. We aren't going to tear it soon, and build a terracing with pillars and an ugly roof.

It's here to stay, so lets not blame it for poor performances.

BroxburnHibee
20-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I think the 'new stand curse' debates are utterly pointless. We aren't going to tear it soon, and build a terracing with pillars and an ugly roof.

It's here to stay, so lets not blame it for poor performances.

:top marks

Joe Baker II
20-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Plenty of people do not think new stand has improved "match day experience" regardless of whether full or not - using this corporate-speak phrase itself may in fact be more indicative of the problem.

sahib
20-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Plenty of people do not think new stand has improved "match day experience" regardless of whether full or not - using this corporate-speak phrase itself may in fact be more indicative of the problem.

I sat in the new stand for the first time on Saturday and it reminded me of being high up on the old terrace. It felt a bit removed from the action but the view was perfect. Not much atmosphere, but better leg room than the lower west.
We are stuck with it now and I would ask the people who think it was a bad move if they would apply the same argument to the west or the other two stands.

BSEJVT
20-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I sat in the new stand for the first time on Saturday and it reminded me of being high up on the old terrace. It felt a bit removed from the action but the view was perfect. Not much atmosphere, but better leg room than the lower west.
We are stuck with it now and I would ask the people who think it was a bad move if they would apply the same argument to the west or the other two stands.

You will need to forgive me guys but I dont see the OP questioning the building of the new stand, more its potential effect on season ticket numbers in these troubled times.

I think the question he posed relates to a discussion we and the guys we go to the game with on Saturday had.

It went along the lines of " If you wanted to go to a game and sit with your mates up to now, you almost had to have season tickets. In view of the vast spaces around the stadium and it particular the East Stand, that will no longer be the case. So why would you buy a season ticket when the product on the park is so poor?"

In a straw poll none of the 8 of us were likley to buy one based on the current situation.

By the way the OP has had one for 20 years minimum.

The responses to thread reinforce my view that the support has now gone into siege mentality when you are either in the tent pissing out or out the tent pissing in.

Reasonable debate is fast becoming a thing of the past polarised by whatever camp you are in.

The next thing you know there will be communists under the bed and witches being burnt at stake.

Sad times

HFC 0-7
20-09-2010, 06:51 PM

I think what the OP is referring to is that because of the increased capacity and that fact the team are playing mince there is no real incentive for getting a season ticket for people as they will always be able to get a ticket for games and probably be able to get a ticket next to their mates.

Some people get season tickets to make sure they can always get a seat next to their mates or in a good part of the ground for the big games. Because of the increased capacity people will be able to do this with just paying on a game by game basis which means they probably wont go to see the smaller teams.

I think that is wrong and i would never do it, but there are people out there that will.

IWasThere2016
20-09-2010, 07:00 PM
You will need to forgive me guys but I dont see the OP questioning the building of the new stand, more its potential effect on season ticket numbers in these troubled times.

I think the question he posed relates to a discussion we and the guys we go to the game with on Saturday had.

It went along the lines of " If you wanted to go to a game and sit with your mates up to now, you almost had to have season tickets. In view of the vast spaces around the stadium and it particular the East Stand, that will no longer be the case. So why would you buy a season ticket when the product on the park is so poor?"

In a straw poll none of the 8 of us were likley to buy one based on the current situation.

By the way the OP has had one for 20 years minimum.

The responses to thread reinforce my view that the support has now gone into siege mentality when you are either in the tent pissing out or out the tent pissing in.

Reasonable debate is fast becoming a thing of the past polarised by whatever camp you are in.

The next thing you know there will be communists under the bed and witches being burnt at stake.

Sad times

Spot on.

Sammy7nil
20-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Thorburn 1 is spot on.

I am all for the building of the new stand

BUT

It is a double edged sword, there really is no need for a season ticket.

You will always be able to walk up and buy 5 - 6 seats together in the past few years you could not.

I have had a season ticket for 20 odd years (or when they came out) but I always miss 2 - 3 games a season due to holidays, weddings or family commitments already missed ICT game due to holiday.

So the point is the new stand may significantly reduce income especially that generated by ST's

1875 NO 1
20-09-2010, 07:16 PM

The stand needs to be filled and turnover needs to be increased to stop another £2m operating loss

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Doesntthe payment plan mean you can get the benefits of the st but spread the payments so your monthly outlay is less than if you paidatghegate sorry didn't pay attention in class that day(stupidboy)

HFC 0-7
20-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Doesntthe payment plan mean you can get the benefits of the st but spread the payments so your monthly outlay is less than if you paidatghegate sorry didn't pay attention in class that day(stupidboy)

If you enter into the payment plan you need to pay it in full. the new stand is giving the people the option not to go some weeks or pretty much every week until a big team comes to ER and still get a seat next to their mates. The other thing people will be thinking about going into next season, if the performances havent got better, is do they really want to go and pay lots of money, whether its spread out over a season or not? Next season people could not get a season ticket and easily pick and choose what games they go to.

Although it doesnt concern me, I know that there is a lot of people seriously annoyed with the whole matchday experience, not just because of the performances on the pitch but because they cant stand in the east anymore and no longer allowed to smoke. Football used to be a way of life for people, now people need a good reason for going and it is basically what is happening on the pitch that makes people go now.

The increased capacity will be a big problem should we continue this terrible form, if we turn the performances around it will be a valuable assett but at the moment it looks like we are in big bother.

son of haggart
20-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Thorburn 1 is spot on.

I am all for the building of the new stand

BUT

It is a double edged sword, there really is no need for a season ticket.

You will always be able to walk up and buy 5 - 6 seats together in the past few years you could not.

I have had a season ticket for 20 odd years (or when they came out) but I always miss 2 - 3 games a season due to holidays, weddings or family commitments already missed ICT game due to holiday.

So the point is the new stand may significantly reduce income especially that generated by ST's

I don't think that's quite true. If I remember correctly in the Mowbray good year you had fewer season tickets than before but probably made considerably more money as when the team is playing well there are more walk up fans and they pay more - ie 9,000 season ticket holders plus 4,000 walk up probably pay considerably more than 11,000 and 2,000 walk up.

The problem is if the football's poor then the crowd will be 9,000 and 1 -2,000 walk up then the cash flow isn't there and debt has to be taken on

HFC 0-7
20-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't think that's quite true. If I remember correctly in the Mowbray good year you had fewer season tickets than before but probably made considerably more money as when the team is playing well there are more walk up fans and they pay more - ie 9,000 season ticket holders plus 4,000 walk up probably pay considerably more than 11,000 and 2,000 walk up.

The problem is if the football's poor then the crowd will be 9,000 and 1 -2,000 walk up then the cash flow isn't there and debt has to be taken on

The way in which Hibs operate their, albeit small, budget will be on the back of season ticket sales. If season ticket sales are low then we wont get much in the way of signings which will start the board looking to punt some players.

Sammy7nil
20-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks if I am wrong I stand corrected.

However this is not the Mowbray era this is heading for a par with the worst Blobby era and the walk up fans will be significantly less this season than in the Mowbray era.

If ST sales fall next year and walk ups decline we are gonna be in big stook.

PaulSmith
20-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Unless posters in here are talking about gong in groups of 10 or above then you could easily have got tickets together for games even when we had the old east.
Fans will buy season tickets based on the product on the park and to counter your arguement there are 5 extra season ticket holders this year due to the new east stand and the better facilities.

IWasThere2016
20-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Unless posters in here are talking about gong in groups of 10 or above then you could easily have got tickets together for games even when we had the old east.
Fans will buy season tickets based on the product on the park and to counter your arguement there are 5 extra season ticket holders this year due to the new east stand and the better facilities.

And when the novelty wears off and the football doesn't improve .. will they all renew?

You said it yourself earlier Paul - it MUST get better on the park than it is if the crowds are to improve.

1875 NO 1
20-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Correct.

A high walk up gate brings in more cash than season ticket money.

Capt Mainwaring
20-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I buy a Season ticket because it offers convenience to me and I know that the cash up front is valuable to the Club in the setting the budget for the season, and the playing budget for the manager.

We don't have a Billionaire owner who throws unlimited funds at the club each season, We're all in this together so I' happy to pay up front, and was glad to see the club offer a discounted Payment Scheme to help out fans who struggle to pay up in one go.

A new stand and a rocky patch on the field won't influence my desire to do my bit to help out by buying a Season ticket.

Sammy7nil
20-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Correct.

A high walk up gate brings in more cash than season ticket money.

And sales of ST's help the club plan and control spending, bring in players early and determines the wage budget.

Ask Mr Petrie what he would like 12,000 St holders or 6,000 St holders and possibillity 0f 8,000 walk ups dependant on performance I think I know what he would take.

SloopJB
20-09-2010, 07:58 PM
And sales of ST's help the club plan and control spending, bring in players early and determines the wage budget.

Ask Mr Petrie what he would like 12,000 St holders or 6,000 St holders and possibillity 0f 8,000 walk ups dependant on performance I think I know what he would take.

He would probably take the season ticket sales but would also take an income generated from having a quality, compliant stadium from other sources.

greedy bugger eh?

mcaitchi
20-09-2010, 07:59 PM
If you enter into the payment plan you need to pay it in full. the new stand is giving the people the option not to go some weeks or pretty much every week until a big team comes to ER and still get a seat next to their mates. The other thing people will be thinking about going into next season, if the performances havent got better, is do they really want to go and pay lots of money, whether its spread out over a season or not? Next season people could not get a season ticket and easily pick and choose what games they go to.

Although it doesnt concern me, I know that there is a lot of people seriously annoyed with the whole matchday experience, not just because of the performances on the pitch but because they cant stand in the east anymore and no longer allowed to smoke. Football used to be a way of life for people, now people need a good reason for going and it is basically what is happening on the pitch that makes people go now.

The increased capacity will be a big problem should we continue this terrible form, if we turn the performances around it will be a valuable assett but at the moment it looks like we are in big bother.

The way in which Hibs operate their, albeit small, budget will be on the back of season ticket sales. If season ticket sales are low then we wont get much in the way of signings which will start the board looking to punt some players.

personally - Have been Watching hibs sell the best players for years since mid 80`s !!

kinda got used to that, altho now the big new atmosphere killer has been built, the board can sit and look at it empty any day of the week they require !!!

Because Hibs Wont let me stand and sing or god forbid let us even nip outside for a wee smoke ....

So - now they have Sold Me (4 season tickets) out the door !! - and next year il be buying my tickets for game i might want to go to ~ hibs obviously dont need us smokers or drinkers then they wont want or need my nicotine stained maybe smelling of lager & dancing and singing - cash ??? :grr:

Sammy7nil
20-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I buy a Season ticket because it offers convenience to me and I know that the cash up front is valuable to the Club in the setting the budget for the season, and the playing budget for the manager.

We don't have a Billionaire owner who throws unlimited funds at the club each season, We're all in this together so I' happy to pay up front, and was glad to see the club offer a discounted Payment Scheme to help out fans who struggle to pay up in one go.

A new stand and a rocky patch on the field won't influence my desire to do my bit to help out by buying a Season ticket.

Same reason I buy a season ticket. That and the fact I can sit with my mates.

Now I have a pay freeze for two years and the possibility of redundancy money has never been tighter for so many since the 70's.

Even a payment plan may not be enough for many next year. I doubt many season ticket holders make it to ALL games due to family commitments Holdays etc making the walk up price equally attractive.

son of haggart
20-09-2010, 08:00 PM

STB

I wasn't having a dig at your main point, which is quite correct - clearly having more season ticket holders is best. However in a good year on the playing front having spare capacity is good news. In a poor season ticket year (like this, I believe) then bad performances on the park and a big capacity stadium compound the problem.

lyonhibs
20-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Is this the new angle?? Moan about the new stand??

:confused:

BEEJ
20-09-2010, 08:36 PM
hibs obviously dont need us smokers or drinkers then they wont want or need my nicotine stained maybe smelling of lager & dancing and singing - cash ??? :grr:
For first-class money laundering facilities, please apply to:

Tynecastle Stadium
Gorgie
Edinburgh

:greengrin

mcaitchi
20-09-2010, 08:54 PM
For first-class money laundering facilities, please apply to:

Tynecastle Stadium
Gorgie
Edinburgh

:greengrin

Sorry, but im just No that SILLY !! - I wont even go to gorgie since MERCER !!

i made it a point of mine - never to give hearts another penny of mine !!!!!!!

Altho - Hibs are making it harder for the working class - ticket prices and £2.30 for a burnt pie that would cost about £0.80p Anywhere else ????

Im quite lucky that i can just afford to go to the hibs and have a pint pre and post match - but i get not much change from a £100 with travel etc - for a day out to watch us draw with teams like ict and accies !!! and to stand, whoops sorry sit my erchie down or il fling ye oot - in a soulless stand with nae flunt singing etc ... thats before its half time !!!!

BSEJVT
21-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Is this the new angle?? Moan about the new stand??

:confused:

Only if that's what you think it is:confused:

Both the OP and I have clarified the basis behind the statement.

But as I said earlier in the thread people see what they want to see:bitchy: