PDA

View Full Version : My Expectations

MB62
20-09-2010, 11:02 AM
The manager has mentioned now a few times that maybe our expectations are too high, which I find an incredible comment to make. So, just in case the manager is unaware of what I expect from Hibernian Football Club, here it is.

At the start of every season, I expect Hibernian to be in the top six teams in the league. I then expect us to be challenging for a European spot and HOPE we can keep in touch with OF to maybe Christmas or beyond, but that is HOPE rather than EXPECTATION.

Given this, I expect to be consistantly beating teams at home like, Inverness, Hamilton, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, possibly Aberdeen and Dundee Utd and winning more games against the Yams than we don't win.
I wouldn't get overly upset if/when we lose the odd one or two if are we winning the vast majority of the others.
Away from home, the first 5 teams mentioned above, I expect to be consistantly taking points off, winning our fair share, the rest mentioned above are a bit more difficult and EXPECT us to be taking points again in a lot of the games whilst understanding these are difficult games and we will not do that all the time.

In the League cup, given the seeding nature of this competition, I expect us to be in the quarter finals every year, with a great chance of making it to a final.

The Scottish Cup is a different ball game, given the nature of the draw every round could bring up anybody, and of course our horrendous record, but I do expect when we are given a decent draw to be getting through and not struggle against part-time non league teams or teams from much lower divisions.

I expect our manager to be able to spot when a player is going through a rough period of form and to drop him, regardless of whether he signed him or not, and to give other members of the squad a chance.

I expect our manager to have the knowledge to be able to change the course of the game by making telling substitutions. To be able to do that though, you have to have relevant subs available, not the THREE CENTRE HALF's We had on the bench on Saturday.

That's my EXPECTATIONS Yogi, what's yours?

Saorsa
20-09-2010, 11:07 AM
The manager has mentioned now a few times that maybe our expectations are too high, which I find an incredible comment to make. So, just in case the manager is unaware of what I expect from Hibernian Football Club, here it is.

At the start of every season, I expect Hibernian to be in the top six teams in the league. I then expect us to be challenging for a European spot and HOPE we can keep in touch with OF to maybe Christmas or beyond, but that is HOPE rather than EXPECTATION.

Given this, I expect to be consistantly beating teams at home like, Inverness, Hamilton, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, possibly Aberdeen and Dundee Utd and winning more games against the Yams than we don't win.
I wouldn't get overly upset if/when we lose the odd one or two if we winning the vast majority of the others.
Away from home, the first 5 teams mentioned above, I expect to be consistantly taking points off, winning our fair share, the rest mentioned above are a bit more difficult and EXPECT us to be taking points again in a lot of the games whilst understanding these are difficult games and we wil not do that all the time.

In the League cup, given the seeding nature of this competition, I expect us to be in the quarter finals every year, with a great chance of making it to a final.

The Scottish Cup is a different ball game, given the nature of the draw every round could bring up anybody, and of course our horrendous record, but I do expect when we are given a decent draw to be getting through and not struggle against part-time non league teams or teams from much lower divisions.

I expect our manager to be be able to spot when a player is going through a rough period of form and to drop him, regardless of whether he signed him or not, and to give other members of the squad a chance.

I expect our manager to have the knowledge to be able to change the course of the game by making telling substitutions. To be able to do that though, you have to have relevant subs available, not the THREE CENTRE HALF's We had on the bench on Saturday.

That's my EXPECTATIONS Yogi, what's yours?Sorry, expectations far too high, please revise.

Sammy7nil
20-09-2010, 11:37 AM
That is all we want.

Not too high taken in the context of our opponents and there severe lack of funds and fan base in comparrison to us.

P.S. £430 for a season ticket what do the pay at Motherwell ?

MB62
20-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry, expectations far too high, please revise.

For the purposes of discussion on the subject, I will assume you were not on the wind up. Therefore, would you care to give us your expectations on what we should be looking to achieve year on year?

allezsauzee
20-09-2010, 12:18 PM
The man is an arse. He thinks we punched above our weight last season? We scraped into 4th with that i would say was the third best squad in the league.

lyonhibs
20-09-2010, 12:22 PM
For the purposes of discussion on the subject, I will assume you were not on the wind up. Therefore, would you care to give us your expectations on what we should be looking to achieve year on year?

I'm pretty sure DD was taking the piss.

Your OP is entirely reasonable, and mirrors the expectations of most Hibs fans with the squad we currently have.

Sadly, the only man who thinks that the expectation of beating Hamilton at home is excessive is also our manager :boo hoo:

bobbyhibs1983
20-09-2010, 12:28 PM
some very good and well thought out points for the O.P.
Though may i say we have NO GIVEN RIGHT to beat the teams you have mentioned.
I do however understand where your coming from.From experince hibs do tend to let you down alot, damn typical huh?

The thing that borthers me and im sure it annoys alot of people is the lack of effort some times from the players.Mostly doing simple things like finding a hibs player from 10feet away,

Another expectation imo is when sometihng is wrong or if something is not working then change it.i feel this has not happened ,esp from the manager.I feel we have a good sqaurd who should be able to challange every team but often fail to do so.

Andy74
20-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Where has Hughes said we shouldn't beat Hamilton at home?

Surely we'd all agree that we aren't at a stage, nor have we ever been, where we can turn up in these games and regardless of how we play or apply ourselves we will win the game.

I think people should not take these things too literally.

There's really only the Old Firm, and even they struggle sometimes, can beat these teams almost every time they are up against them.

In that respect I get what he us saying on a general point, that if we athink we are at the stage where winning all these games is taken for granted then we are expecting too much.

Are peple seriously not able to follow these type of things or are people looking to be offended and outraged by everything said??

MB62
20-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure DD was taking the piss.

Your OP is entirely reasonable, and mirrors the expectations of most Hibs fans with the squad we currently have.

Sadly, the only man who thinks that the expectation of beating Hamilton at home is excessive is also our manager :boo hoo:

I did think that, but the lack of smillies attached, you never know eh!

The last two games, I have looked at the bench and other than Galbraith, i have thought, there is absolutely nobody there that is going to win us this game. I was astonished to see three centre half's sitting on the bench and no Ian Murray. Is the man injured or just completely out of favour?

IMO, the bench plays a vital part of any game and with seven subs allowed to sit there, it should consist of,

Goalkeeper,
2 x strikers/forwards
4 x midfield/utility players

What Chris Hogg was doing on the bench the last two games is beyond me. He can only play one position so why we need him sitting on the bench when we have various other options that can fill that role if required.
Anyway, that's getting away from the original point. Yogi keeps coming up with these comments but I would love for him to tell us exactly what his expectations are and where he is trying to take the club, because I don't see it, it's not obvious to me.

DC_Hibs
20-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I did think that, but the lack of smillies attached, you never know eh!

The last two games, I have looked at the bench and other than Galbraith, i have thought, there is absolutely nobody there that is going to win us this game. I was astonished to see three centre half's sitting on the bench and no Ian Murray. Is the man injured or just completely out of favour?

IMO, the bench plays a vital part of any game and with seven subs allowed to sit there, it should consist of,

Goalkeeper,
2 x strikers/forwards
4 x midfield/utility players

What Chris Hogg was doing on the bench the last two games is beyond me. He can only play one position so why we need him sitting on the bench when we have various other options that can fill that role if required.
Anyway, that's getting away from the original point. Yogi keeps coming up with these comments but I would love for him to tell us exactly what his expectations are and where he is trying to take the club, because I don't see it, it's not obvious to me.

Murray said he was injured when he was co-commentating on HibsTV on Saturday.

We were told there would be U19 forwards given the chance but there was no sign of that. Rather than leave one or more of them out completely he fills the bench with Hogg, Hanlon, Stephens (add in Thicot against ICT).

I honestly think that Duffy would have made a difference in the last two games........thats the only thing I will say in Hughes favour.

BEEJ
20-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Surely we'd all agree that we aren't at a stage, nor have we ever been, where we can turn up in these games and regardless of how we play or apply ourselves we will win the game.

In that respect I get what he us saying on a general point, that if we athink we are at the stage where winning all these games is taken for granted then we are expecting too much.
All?? We're actually at the stage where winning just one of these games would make a nice change. :greengrin

The anger caused by these quotes is not in most cases due to folk deliberately finding fault in everything Yogi says. It's because his comments seem to be completely detached from the reality of our results record since the spring.

Acknowledging that poor record, rather than being in stubborn denial of it, would be a good start.

Hibercelona
20-09-2010, 02:10 PM
To state that our expectations are too high after failing to beat relegation favourites on our own patch and not winning a home game since march is an absolute disgrace.

He's clearly in way over his head.

HibbyAndy
20-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Ma expectations are toap 6 every year and a decent cup run now and again.Also competing for 3rd spot every single season.

brydekirk
20-09-2010, 02:28 PM
maybe were not as good as we thought :grr:
maybe he is finding it harder than he thought :agree:

MB62
20-09-2010, 02:37 PM

His comment after both games against Invernes and Hamilton that our expectations are too high, suggests to me that is exactly what he is saying.

That's not the point though is it? We all accept that teams have off days or other teams raise their game but as supporters of Hibernian, we should be going along to ER and when we play these teams we should be expecting to win.
The norm for 2010 so far has ben exactly the opposite and that's not good enough.
Given the size of our club and our infrastructure, we should be able to attract better players on better wages than the vast majority of teams in the SPL and if we are failing to consistantly beat smaller sized club then I would suggest we have a problem in management.

There's really only the Old Firm, and even they struggle sometimes, can beat these teams almost every time they are up against them.

It's not a case of taking victory for granted against anybody. What we should be doing though is winning a far larger percentage of these games than have done in recent times. Losing or drawing the odd home game would be more acceptable if we were winning games we expect to win on a more regular basis. Football always throws up shock results, it's what keeps fans of all smaller teams (and I include Hibernian in that) hopes alive when playing the BIG boys. We are currently on our worst home run in our history, surely we are entitled to EXPECT better?

Are peple seriously not able to follow these type of things or are people looking to be offended and outraged by everything said??

When your manager comes out and tells us we have to lower our expectations after draw at home to Inverness and Hamilton then Yes, I am outraged at that comment. I personally have more ambition for Hibernian than to accept these results as being ok, which is what I believe our manager is suggesting.

Hainan Hibs
20-09-2010, 03:58 PM
With the facilities Hibs have I would be expecting us to compete for 3rd/4th/5th each season with a good cup run included with some good football to watch.

When you look around at the rest of the SPL it isn't unreasonable.

Saorsa
20-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I did think that, but the lack of smillies attached, you never know eh!Sorry about the lack of smilies, lyonhibs was correct though. I was being facetious. I actually agree with what you said in your OP none of which is unrealistic or should be beyond expectation. I have nae idea what the expectations of the manager are but if they are any less than those in your OP that alone should be enough tae see him out the door because that simply isnae good enough.

Sir David Gray
20-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I think when people hear Hughes at the end of last season going on about the team being "absolutely miles away" from where he wants to take us, despite the fact that we finished 4th and got into Europe and then on Saturday he suggests that the fans' expectations are too high when we've just failed to beat two sides, at home, who are more than likely going to be relegation candidates when we get to the "business end" of the season, we're on our worst home run in our history, have started the season very poorly and have barely won a game for about seven months, they are entitled to question some of the statements that Hughes is coming away with, statements that I would personally describe as baffling, quite frankly.

Hainan Hibs
20-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I think when people hear Hughes at the end of last season going on about the team being "absolutely miles away" from where he wants to take us, despite the fact that we finished 4th and got into Europe and then on Saturday he suggests that the fans' expectations are too high when we've just failed to beat two sides, at home, who are more than likely going to be relegation candidates when we get to the "business end" of the season, we're on our worst home run in our history, have started the season very poorly and have barely won a game for about seven months, they are entitled to question some of the statements that Hughes is coming away with, statements that I would personally describe as baffling, quite frankly.

Possibly one of the longest sentences I've ever read but I completely agree:greengrin

Sir David Gray
20-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Possibly one of the longest sentences I've ever read but I completely agree:greengrin

:greengrin I was thinking that and I was looking for a place to put a full stop in but I couldn't find anywhere appropriate.

Woody1985
20-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I pretty much agree with everything in the OP.

Those are my expectations of Hibs but I know that we're Hibs and we never match them so when we get results like ICT & Hamilton it's sort of the expected (a little contradiction there but you know what I mean!). On a tangent, that's why I rarely put Hibs on my coupon!

However, I do wonder if we're ever likely to achieve our expectations.

This may sound a little daft but maybe the standard of player we can get for our money is perhaps the type that is likely to have reached the peak of their career, both in terms of club size and wage. Some won't have the desire to push on for a bigger club and those that do will leave if they're good enough.

This can leave us with players whom know they're on a cushy little number, they have the prestige (in SPL terms) of playing for a club like Hibs, have great facilities, pampered to an extent and when they come up against the guys who work harder at the smaller clubs (smaller wages) then they find it difficult. The guys at the smaller clubs know that they're having to fight for a bigger wage or keep their existing contracts because they're on the verge of falling down the football tiers (and wages).

I'd speculate that guys at the smaller teams are like those facing redundancy i.e. they will work extra hard to prove their worth to keep their job and their employer going i.e. avoid relegation. That's certainly the atmosphere in my work place (not avoid relagation :greengrin).

Are we in football limbo?

What other clubs are there in football would you say are similar to us in that we're unlikely to ever challenge for the league in the foreseeable future but in terms of club size and facilities don't meet fans expectations?

FWIW, I do think that over the next couple of years we will see improvement but that's out of optimism of having the platform in place to build. Hopefully it's utilised fully and we can start meeting or even exceeding expectation!

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Mine are: at least a point from two home fixtures against Hamilton and ICT.

We got two and went through that series undefeated, so I'm more than happy.

Is this better, Yogi?

Golden Bear
20-09-2010, 04:55 PM
The financial resources made available to Yogi must be the envy of every other Manager in the SPL outwith the gruesome twosome.

One of the many reasons why I expect my team to be challenging for 3rd place in the league and a decent run in both the Cups.

Pardon me Yogi for being so silly.

Alex Trager
20-09-2010, 04:56 PM
That is all we want.

Not too high taken in the context of our opponents and there severe lack of funds and fan base in comparrison to us.

P.S. £430 for a season ticket what do the pay at Motherwell ?
Mines 95

basehibby
20-09-2010, 05:09 PM

I wouldn't get overly upset if/when we lose the odd one or two if are we winning the vast majority of the others.
Away from home, the first 5 teams mentioned above, I expect to be consistantly taking points off, winning our fair share, the rest mentioned above are a bit more difficult and EXPECT us to be taking points again in a lot of the games whilst understanding these are difficult games and we will not do that all the time.

I expect our manager to be able to spot when a player is going through a rough period of form and to drop him, regardless of whether he signed him or not, and to give other members of the squad a chance.

That's my EXPECTATIONS Yogi, what's yours?

Your expectations are fair enough and a good reflection of most Hibs fans.

I think Hughes is at least partly refering to other fans/expectations though - like the sort of expectations that would lead some to boo a new signing off the pitch only 6 games into his Hibs career.

NAE NOOKIE
20-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Hibs underwhelming haul of three league cups in 40 years is something that any owner, manager, player and supporter of the club should look upon as being disappointing to say the least.

For a manager of the club, especially one who is a Hibs supporter, to even hint after all that time that we are expecting too much if we expect the team to beat the likes of ICT and Hamilton at home, then he is not the man to manage this club.

ICT have just been promoted and Hamilton have suffered more than any other SPL team over the last year from loss of players.

I for one can accept home defeats to the OF, Dundee Utd and I suppose even the Yams being put down to team rebuilding, transitional periods etc, but not poor performances and poor results against clubs who should be coming to Hibs hoping to get a draw through grit, fight and dogged defending.

These clubs should not leave ER feeling that they should have won because they outplayed us for at least 50% of the match, which is the situation we are now getting close to.

After his "think we are better than we are" comment I would like Yogi to come out and explain to us just how far he thinks he has taken the club up to now, if his team is not yet at the stage where it would be reasonable to expect it to beat two of the lesser lights of the SPL at Easter Road.

In view of that, and after a full season in charge, just how long is it going take him to get us to the stage where we can take the field at Easter Road with a realistic expectation of having at least a 50 / 50 chance of beating Celtic, Rangers or Hearts?

This to my mind should be the ultimate aim of any Hibs manager. If it isnt and the board are prepared to accept that, then this club going nowhere and never will.

sahib
20-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I think when people hear Hughes at the end of last season going on about the team being "absolutely miles away" from where he wants to take us, despite the fact that we finished 4th and got into Europe and then on Saturday he suggests that the fans' expectations are too high .

Good points.
Every git that goes through the west comes out with the old, "high expectations here ....must win every week ....failure not tolerated etc". Yet if we have the gall to expect a win at home, against teams who are traditionally relegation fodder (over many generations), then we are silly boys and girls. Blaming the customers is never a good tactic.

JimBHibees
20-09-2010, 06:33 PM
While obviously not expecting to be winning every game against teams who are likely to be in the bottom six what I would expect at home is that we are dominating and for the most part controlling these games both in terms of possession and efforts on goal. This palpably isnt the case.

In the games I have seen recently we are such a soft touch at home, we are slow both in terms of when in possession and physically, not aggressive and invariably give any team a chance to score against us. We dont look fit or sharp and have apart from Bamba no pace in the team whatsoever. I appreciate Duffy was brought in as a forward with some pace and his injury is unlucky however we IMO dont have enough genuinely athletic players so any fit and organised teams will cause us problems.

Magnifique
20-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I read with blood boiling todays evening news piece

So he couldnt fault the team for effort and they gave everything what Fu***** game was he at

The article was full of old tired stupid cliches well heres a couple for you yogi

"You get out what you put in" ......We have had nowt out for months it obviously aint going in

"The buck stops with the manager," thats YOU close the door on youre way out

frazeHFC
20-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Yogi says we may be expecting too high, thats why we booed. But i think every Hibee will expect more than 2 points in the 2 home games v ICT and Hamilton. :rolleyes:

MB62
21-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Yogi says we may be expecting too high, thats why we booed. But i think every Hibee will expect more than 2 points in the 2 home games v ICT and Hamilton. :rolleyes:

Was the booing directed at the players for not performing as expected, the manager for extending our worst home run in our history, or at the board for not doing anything about the manager who has achieved this horrendous record?

Personally, whilst I refuse to boo the players as generally the effort was there, my frustration is towards the board for overseeing a manager who must have one of the worst records of any Hibs manager, yet they are seen to be doing nothing to solve the situation.

Scouse Hibee
21-09-2010, 09:33 AM
My expectations are simple, identify faults, problem areas, tactical issues, learn and rectify showing ongoing improvement.