PDA

View Full Version : Tam McManus Scotsman Interview

hibernator
20-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Pity he didn't grow up while at Hibs, admitting that fitness was a problem is a bit of a shocker, could have been part of the Mowbray thing if he had, good luck on Tuesday Tommy boy !

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/CIS-Cup-Tam-McManus-interview.6539048.jp

rainman
20-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Bags of ability. Got the break in professional football. Chance after chance.

Wasted on an idiot. :bitchy:

RMG_82
20-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Bags of ability. Got the break in professional football. Chance after chance.

Wasted on an idiot. :bitchy:

dont tell me he pumped your burd as well?

sunshine1875
20-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Pity he didn't grow up while at Hibs, admitting that fitness was a problem is a bit of a shocker, could have been part of the Mowbray thing if he had, good luck on Tuesday Tommy boy !

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/CIS-Cup-Tam-McManus-interview.6539048.jp

I remember watching Hibs -v-Aberdeeen a few seasons ago, when our strikeforce was O'Connor (the unfit stage pre-Mowbray) and McManus. They were woeful and lacking any energy. Thankfully, that day, when both had injuries and came off in the first half they were replaced by Riordan and Brown, which was my first look at these players. The difference in workrate, skill and enthusium was poles apart. We eventually won 2-1.

It took O'Connor over a season to learn that he had to work hard to succeed. McManus never did. Wasted talent!

Jonnyboy
20-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Knowing Tam as I do I found that interview refreshing because (albeit several years too late) he admits his decline in the football world was all of his own making. No blaming of managers or coaches, no blaming of unfortunate injury absences etc., which I reckon 9 footballers out of 10 in his position would do.

Am delighted he has his hunger for success back and wish him all the best ........ especially on Tuesday night :greengrin

Peevemor
20-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I remember watching Hibs -v-Aberdeeen a few seasons ago, when our strikeforce was O'Connor (the unfit stage pre-Mowbray) and McManus. They were woeful and lacking any energy. Thankfully, that day, when both had injuries and came off in the first half they were replaced by Riordan and Brown, which was my first look at these players. The difference in workrate, skill and enthusium was poles apart. We eventually won 2-1.

It took O'Connor over a season to learn that he had to work hard to succeed. McManus never did. Wasted talent!

I can't remember Garry O'Connor lacking effort or energy. When he broke into the first team he ran about daft, but with zero savvy. IIRC it was playing alongside/off Brewster and Mixu that eventually brought him onto a game.

basehibby
20-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I can't remember Garry O'Connor lacking effort or energy. When he broke into the first team he ran about daft, but with zero savvy. IIRC it was playing alongside/off Brewster and Mixu that eventually brought him onto a game.

Thought he put on the beef quite a bit the season after he'd established himself in the first team - like many daft youngsters breaking into football (eg Tam McManus) he seemed to think he'd made it and so didn't have to put the effort in anymore - happilly he subsequently learned his lesson.

Pretty Boy
20-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I always thought Tam had decent ability but lacked application and, IMO, was bit of a patter merchant,

If he has realised that he needs effort as well as ability now then good luck to him. Unfortunately it's too late for him to have the career he potentially could have had.

sunshine1875
20-09-2010, 03:38 PM

Like basehibby said, he put on the beef. He did have a very large behind!

.Sean.
20-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Like basehibby said, he put on the beef. He did have a very large behind!
He certainly did put on a bit of wait. Apart from the winner against Hearts, season 03/04 certainly wasn't his best, I think he only scored about 7 times. He was particularly poor in the CIS final if my memory serves me correctly.

O'Connor is an excellent player now though! :agree:

sesoim
20-09-2010, 05:01 PM
McManus seemed to have one good game, then two bad ones, then get dropped, then come back in and go through the same process again and again. At each team he was at after us a similar thing seemed to happen - he'd do well when he was on trial or a short term contract and then once he signed a long term contract he did next to nothing.

He should have learned ages ago that you have to keep on applying yourself. Unfortunately Hibs lost a lot of money through handing him a hefty five year contract then having to pay him off.

sesoim
20-09-2010, 05:11 PM

He looked a great prospect towards the end of 2001/02, but obviously injuries affected him over the next two years. He did a lot better from 2004-06 under Mowbray, but while he became more reliable I felt he lost a bit of the spark he had when he first broke through. He wasn't as fast or unpredictable and scored less spectacular goals.

He should have achieved more but tbh he probably doesn't deserve to.

since90plustwo
20-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Loved the guy to bts when he was here, was a real gem of a talent but sadly wasted, hope he sticks it right up the JT's