PDA

View Full Version : The Midfield and What we are missing.

Liams
19-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Right this is just my opinion but...

Our Midfield has been appalling recently, We are missing Strength, Bite and alot of other things. But I think one of the key things is that we don't have a player that can just pick the ball up and drive at defenders and doesn't go missing if we are on the back foot. Obv when Zemmama is fit and back he will be the one doing this but until then, Who could do this. And before you all say Liam Miller, he is just to small to strugg of defenders as he drive past them (could also be the case with zuma). The Only People i can see in our squad atm would be Murry or Bamba that could do this, but they will never get played in midfield.

Thoughts?

Side note, why was spoony taken of on sat? Was he injured or because he was having a bad game?

Jonnyboy
19-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Right this is just my opinion but...

Our Midfield has been appalling recently, We are missing Strength, Bite and alot of other things. But I think one of the key things is that we don't have a player that can just pick the ball up and drive at defenders and doesn't go missing if we are on the back foot. Obv when Zemmama is fit and back he will be the one doing this but until then, Who could do this. And before you all say Liam Miller, he is just to small to strugg of defenders as he drive past them (could also be the case with zuma). The Only People i can see in our squad atm would be Murry or Bamba that could do this, but they will never get played in midfield.

Thoughts?

Side note, why was spoony taken of on sat? Was he injured or because he was having a bad game?

Zemmama would fil that bill IMO

Spoony was injured mate :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
19-09-2010, 09:56 PM
We have two new centre halves and Hanlon who can also play there.

To my mind its a no brainer to shove Bamba into midfield where he has proved he can play before. It would give us strength and a player who aint afraid to bomb forward with the ball.

Also get some width into the team coz at the moment we are as narrow as anything up front.

Liams
19-09-2010, 10:08 PM
We have two new centre halves and Hanlon who can also play there.

To my mind its a no brainer to shove Bamba into midfield where he has proved he can play before. It would give us strength and a player who aint afraid to bomb forward with the ball.

Also get some width into the team coz at the moment we are as narrow as anything up front.

Yeah ive notice the lack of width too, IMO Miller,McBride and de Graff are all center players so our only Width comes from wee Danny (when he gets given the ball) and Grounds

Judas Iscariot
19-09-2010, 10:13 PM
A midfield of..

Zouma Miller Murray Galbraith

Would be decent..

Aye

Jack
19-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Did Miller not fill exactly that role when he was with Celtc?
A tricky wee player that drove at defences?

RIP
19-09-2010, 10:21 PM
**** the midfield - we need wingers

Every other SPL club now has them

hibsway
19-09-2010, 10:28 PM
the problem imo is that miller seems to want to drop into our back four to pick up the ball leaving us short of options in midfield.he then punts the ball forward to the other teams goalkeeper or plays a nothing pass

CraigK
20-09-2010, 11:01 AM
We have very little width and none of the players look like they can beat a man. Just look at the difference between Spooney this year and last year (eg. the Celtic game). We also lack someone to make that 'killer pass' (which should be Miller's job IMO).
Also a lack of bite which might be solved by putting Murray in there, if his legs can last.

Albion Hibs
20-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I think murray would walk that role - if I am right in thinking he did it under bobby and bagged a right few goals in the process.

But for me I would be tempted to have him at LB or LM depending on thoughts re Grounds. My initial impression (and it is harsh judging after two games) is that he has no pace what so ever. He looks like a CH end off - quite why yogi has him taking corners and free kicks at 6 foot whatever, and puts Miller and Deek in the box I will never know.

In the past I have been against Bamba in the midfield as his passing to be fair is woeful, but as the games keep going by I am more and more tempted.

Rankin or Bamba in for De Graff / wotherspoon.

Aldo
20-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I am going to get pelters for this but

Michael Stewart

everytime I saw him play for us and against us he was the best player on the park. I personally think Him and miller in the middle of the park would be excellent.

We missed the boat there IMHO.

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I am going to get pelters for this but

Michael Stewart

everytime I saw him play for us and against us he was the best player on the park. I personally think Him and miller in the middle of the park would be excellent.

We missed the boat there IMHO.

He's injured, saw him on crutches last week.

Perspective
20-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Ian Murray's legs are too far gone to play there. He's not the same player who broke into the first-team as a box-to-box midfielder. On top of that it takes him too long to control the ball, look up and pass so I don't see what he offers other than blunt force aggression. Better to stick with McBride IMHO.

Agree, though, that Bamba's a better short-term shout given his athleticism and our options at centre-back.

Caroline Hibby
20-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Did Miller not fill exactly that role when he was with Celtc?
A tricky wee player that drove at defences?

Maybe he did but he's not interested in driving forward now and has no pace. Yep he can make the odd run but someone like Bamba has the real desire to drive forward and he does it at pace. Said it before, we need Miller or McBride, not both and I'd opt for McBride at the moment.

Hamish
20-09-2010, 06:55 PM
A midfield of..

Zouma Miller Murray Galbraith

Would be decent..

Aye

Whereas a midfield of

Guggi, Wiss, Chisholm, Fellenger

Would not be.