PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller?

Expecting Rain
19-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Is it just me but i can`t believe the stick that it is aimed at Liam Miller, he`s is one of a few band of players that tries to take responsibility irrespective of the situation, if there is a problem at all it is the lack of balance in the centre of midfield which involves McBride been far too similar and inferior ( another big mistake by Yogi appointing him as captain) bring Bamba in beside Miller and you`ll see a classy player that doesn`t have to go steaming into tackles and one that can concentrate on bringing a bit of imagination and creativity to the team while Sol deals with the defensive side.

Hibs Class
19-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I expect every player to at least try to tackle when the opportunity presents itself, but Miller is one of the biggest bottlers in the tackle at the club right now.

sahib
19-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Is it just me but i can`t believe the stick that it is aimed at Liam Miller, he`s is one of a few band of players that tries to take responsibility irrespective of the situation, if there is a problem at all it is the lack of balance in the centre of midfield which involves McBride been far too similar and inferior ( another big mistake by Yogi appointing him as captain) bring Bamba in beside Miller and you`ll see a classy player that doesn`t have to go steaming into tackles and one that can concentrate on bringing a bit of imagination and creativity to the team while Sol deals with the defensive side.

I thought McBride worked his socks off yesterday. The defense struggled to find the midfield with a pass and Mc and M found it hard to pick out a forward pass. I don't know why that was, really, but it can only be down to a few factors.
I would suggest Hamilton getting their tactics right and keeping their workrate high was important and Hibs having a few players who look slow and unfit may be a couple of other reasons. If I thought Yogi knew what the problem was, I would be less worried.

Expecting Rain
19-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I thought McBride worked his socks off yesterday. The defense struggled to find the midfield with a pass and Mc and M found it hard to pick out a forward pass. I don't know why that was, really, but it can only be down to a few factors.
I would suggest Hamilton getting their tactics right and keeping their workrate high was important and Hibs having a few players who look slow and unfit may be a couple of other reasons. If I thought Yogi knew what the problem was, I would be less worried.

I don`t dislike McBride but he`s far too similar a player to Miller, a big part of the problem for both though is a lack of confidence in taking chances going forward, in my opinion due to the fact that we don`t have a centre-forward that holds things up bringing the midfield into play.

Big_D
19-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I personally can't believe that Liam Miller was once signed by Man Utd

Expecting Rain
19-09-2010, 10:21 AM
I expect every player to at least try to tackle when the opportunity presents itself, but Miller is one of the biggest bottlers in the tackle at the club right now.

Bottle is also putting yourself into positions to recieve the ball when others are hiding and holding onto the ball in order to try and make a positive pass, if the perception of Miller is that of a tackler then there`s no point in arguing about it but for me he is pivotal and vital to the team.
After watching the likes of Keenan,Kerr,Chisholm and occasionally Yantorno i`m more than happy that we have a player of his calibre in the team.

hibee_girl
19-09-2010, 10:56 AM

:agree: That's been obvious since the middle of last season

Golden Bear
19-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Potentially a great football player but he's not nearly consistent enough. By the way, was he playing yesterday?

Iggy Pope
19-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Miller is an extremely talented player and one of the aspects of his game that surprised me was his ability to tackle.He just seems to have fallen apart.Dunno what's happened:confused:

He was very, very disappointing yesterday and on other threads it has been been highlighted that he seems to escape from the stick that others get.
His touch was previously his strength - yesterday every second touch was a tackle and he backed out of most of them.

His performance for me was more of a let down than Nish who gets roundly ridiculed, more of a let down than De Graf (who was poor mind) and miles behind McBide.
We need him to edge up and very quickly.

SloopJB
19-09-2010, 03:31 PM

9,157 registered members on this forum. If only 1% = 91 people don't take to a player they can make a helluva mess on a board like this.
human nature shows that it is easier to complain when things don't go your way than it is to praise when things do.

Hopefully those at ER looking in realise this too.

Albion Hibs
19-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Millers problem are the guys he has to play with in midfield. I would completely agree with you on the McBride shout - the fact he "works his socks off" quite frankly means nothing to me. He seems to have developed a theory that he is a play maker - perhaps if he focused on the defensive/breaking up role the miller would not have to do so much of it and could focus on going forward.

1875 NO 1
19-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Bottle is also putting yourself into positions to recieve the ball when others are hiding and holding onto the ball in order to try and make a positive pass, if the perception of Miller is that of a tackler then there`s no point in arguing about it but for me he is pivotal and vital to the team.
After watching the likes of Keenan,Kerr,Chisholm and occasionally Yantorno i`m more than happy that we have a player of his calibre in the team.

why? taking a fortune in wages and doing nothing in return.

Hes been chased from every club hes been at. He has some ability but his desire, work rate etc aint there. Totally slows the game down, got no positive play about him.

He should be bossing games against ICT, St Mirren and Hamilton.

1875 NO 1
19-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Potentially a great football player but he's not nearly consistent enough. By the way, was he playing yesterday?
thats why hes back playing in the SPL

Albion Hibs
19-09-2010, 06:51 PM
why? taking a fortune in wages and doing nothing in return.

Hes been chased from every club hes been at. He has some ability but his desire, work rate etc aint there. Totally slows the game down, got no positive play about him.

He should be bossing games against ICT, St Mirren and Hamilton.

thats why hes back playing in the SPL

I think you boys are mad, one week he is the greatest next week he has been poor for 6 months. ridiculous.

Like it or not he has a 100 times the ability of anyone we have at the club or have had in recent years. The problem is that his fellow midfielder do nothing for him, run, track back, tackle.

If you are looking to have a go a someone you could start with any other midfielder and forward before you got to him.

patlowe
19-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Was it Miller that played in Riordan in the second half for the volley that was saved? Was one of the only pieces of attacking quality in the entire 90 minutes. He needs to do more though, no doubt.

Albion Hibs
19-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Was it Miller that played in Riordan in the second half for the volley that was saved? Was one of the only pieces of attacking quality in the entire 90 minutes. He needs to do more though, no doubt.

I think those around him need to do more, cant count how many times he is the first midfielder back. Easy thing for other teams to do is simply cover him and out with that who else do we have - i.e. stop him by in large stop us.

Rankin back into the team for me.

silverhibee
19-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I think those around him need to do more, cant count how many times he is the first midfielder back. Easy thing for other teams to do is simply cover him and out with that who else do we have - i.e. stop him by in large stop us.

Rankin back into the team for me.

Sorrry, but Miller was very poor yesterday, and it was nothing to do with the other players around him, he has been poor for a wee while now, he needs to get his finger out and start putting in a shift that is expected from him, imo he slows the play down when he is on the ball and take's age's to pass it, hence he gets the ball stolen from him when in possesion of it.
He gets an easy ride on this board from folk on here.

Albion Hibs
19-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Sorrry, but Miller was very poor yesterday, and it was nothing to do with the other players around him, he has been poor for a wee while now, he needs to get his finger out and start putting in a shift that is expected from him, imo he slows the play down when he is on the ball and take's age's to pass it, hence he gets the ball stolen from him when in possesion of it.

Happy to disagree as I thiink you are reeking! what midfielder/player do you think was anything but poor yesterday?

He works twice as hard as DG DW KM amongst others in the team.

I think if you watch more closely you will see any delay / slowing down of any play is because we have a lot of hiders / people that run nowhere.

patlowe
19-09-2010, 07:28 PM
He seems to have suffered from a chronic lack of confidence since Man Utd that is incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when everyone knows he has so much ability on the ball. He strikes me as someone who needs to be reminded how good he is on a regular basis. In saying that, it's probably the reason why he's ended up at Hibs.

I also think that he needs more freedom on the park somehow, maybe in a more advanced role where he can get the ball in more dangerous positions. This would require a significant reshuffling of the pack but I'm sick of seeing him doing the stuff that should be reduced to grafters like Rankin.

Winston Ingram
19-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Couldn't agree more. I thought he was one of our better players yesterday and I think Bamba and him would be excellent together:agree:

Expecting Rain
20-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Firstly i respect your opinion but Miller is caught in position dwelling on the ball ( not all the time) because there is hee-haw movement from the players around him with the exception of Riordan, the trio of Bamba, Miller and Riordan are having to conjure something out of nothing in order to lift the team at times.
In my opinion our future should be built around players like this, there are some decent other players either in various stages of development or attempting to fit into a style or formation that seems to result in a lot of confusion or a lack of belief, my own view is that the manager can`t utulise the personel he is working with, a decent manager would get the best even out of our worst players, being organised would be a good start.

silverhibee
20-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Firstly i respect your opinion but Miller is caught in position dwelling on the ball ( not all the time) because there is hee-haw movement from the players around him with the exception of Riordan, the trio of Bamba, Miller and Riordan are having to conjure something out of nothing in order to lift the team at times.
In my opinion our future should be built around players like this, there are some decent other players either in various stages of development or attempting to fit into a style or formation that seems to result in a lot of confusion or a lack of belief, my own view is that the manager can`t utulise the personel he is working with, a decent manager would get the best even out of our worst players, being organised would be a good start.

Hope you understand that i am not saying Liam Miller is rubbish far from it, his CV says he has played for some great clubs, and he is a great player on his day, Saturday wasn't one of them and thats what dissapoints me about him, sometimes he just doesn't turn up for games like Saturday, he is the player with the experience and skill who should make things happen for the team when things are not going right, I seen LM play a fair bit at the tale end of his career at Sunderland and it wasn't pretty to watch or listen to the home fans boo him every time he got the ball, yeah i know, a bit like at ER :greengrin, in games like Saturday i expect LM to show by example and drive the team forward and scream at the players to get there act together and start moving for the ball, he is very quiet on the pitch, he needs to start showing us how good a player he is on a more frequent basis.
He may also be suffering from the managers tactics like some of the other players are during the 90mins of play, some of the players out there dont look like they know what they are doing or where there ment to be positional wise, its like the players train all week on something for the next game, but with in 5 mins the manager starts changing things around and it confuses the players on the pitch, hence the arguing between players and manager.
Come Wednesday, and i fear a heavy defeat from Killie, Mixu's plan will be simple, keep tight to Miller and Riordan and stop them from getting on the ball, attack down the left side and get as many balls in to there box, Hibs are not the best at dealing with crosses and set pieces, Mixu knows our strengths and weakness's in the Hibs side, do you think Yogi knows there's.
Hate to say it and i hope i am very wrong and Hibs go through to next round of the cup,and i will be there suporting the Hibs to win, but i predict a heavy defeat. 4-1 Killie.

BEEJ
20-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Hate to say it and i hope i am very wrong and Hibs go through to next round of the cup,and i will be there suporting the Hibs to win, but i predict a heavy defeat. 4-1 Killie.
:no way: Not a chance we'll concede four at Rugby Park, unless we have a player or two sent off early doors.

And I thought I was despondent. :greengrin

Expecting Rain
21-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Hope you understand that i am not saying Liam Miller is rubbish far from it, his CV says he has played for some great clubs, and he is a great player on his day, Saturday wasn't one of them and thats what dissapoints me about him, sometimes he just doesn't turn up for games like Saturday, he is the player with the experience and skill who should make things happen for the team when things are not going right, I seen LM play a fair bit at the tale end of his career at Sunderland and it wasn't pretty to watch or listen to the home fans boo him every time he got the ball, yeah i know, a bit like at ER :greengrin, in games like Saturday i expect LM to show by example and drive the team forward and scream at the players to get there act together and start moving for the ball, he is very quiet on the pitch, he needs to start showing us how good a player he is on a more frequent basis.
He may also be suffering from the managers tactics like some of the other players are during the 90mins of play, some of the players out there dont look like they know what they are doing or where there ment to be positional wise, its like the players train all week on something for the next game, but with in 5 mins the manager starts changing things around and it confuses the players on the pitch, hence the arguing between players and manager.
Come Wednesday, and i fear a heavy defeat from Killie, Mixu's plan will be simple, keep tight to Miller and Riordan and stop them from getting on the ball, attack down the left side and get as many balls in to there box, Hibs are not the best at dealing with crosses and set pieces, Mixu knows our strengths and weakness's in the Hibs side, do you think Yogi knows there's.

No i`m not suggesting that any of Miller`s critics don`t rate him and i also don`t think that he is beyond criticism but i think he`s wasted chasing back whenever we lose posession, we must be better at holding the ball up front and the link play has to be a whole lot better, players shouldn`t be afraid to take responsibility, the whole point of being on the park is to give your all and enjoy your football, enjoy your position,it doesn`t look that way at the moment,Yogi always talks about playing with a smile on your face, i don`t see the evidence.

silverhibee
23-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Liam Miller

Anyone care to try and defend this guy after his performance tonight. If he's know passing it side ways to McBride then he is passing it back to Bamba.:grr:

stokesmessiah
23-09-2010, 06:36 AM
:no way: Not a chance we'll concede four at Rugby Park, unless we have a player or two sent off early doors.

And I thought I was despondent. :greengrin

How wrong you so nearly were !

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I was not there last night, but have seen most of the games this season. Miller is a fine player, he wont go thundering into tackles, but will harry and steal balls from the opposition all day.

Where he struggles imho is when he looks up when he has the ball, there is very rarely an option other than to Nish who will be marked, or Riordan who also will be marked. We don't have any forwards with pace who will run the channels.

So when he does give them the ball 9 times out of 10 its 30 odd yards from goal, and they receive the ball and give it back to miller. He then has no players making runs beyond the forwards, so his options are either go on his own, or play it wide or back.

Miller aint the problem imho.

Hibby Bairn
23-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I was not there last night, but have seen most of the games this season. Miller is a fine player, he wont go thundering into tackles, but will harry and steal balls from the opposition all day.

Where he struggles imho is when he looks up when he has the ball, there is very rarely an option other than to Nish who will be marked, or Riordan who also will be marked. We don't have any forwards with pace who will run the channels.

So when he does give them the ball 9 times out of 10 its 30 odd yards from goal, and they receive the ball and give it back to miller. He then has no players making runs beyond the forwards, so his options are either go on his own, or play it wide or back.

Miller aint the problem imho.

:agree: It is like watching Darren Fletcher for Man Utd and Darren Fletcher for Scotland. His abilities are used more effectively for MU than Scotland for almost exactly the same reasons as above.

BEEJ
23-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Liam Miller

Anyone care to try and defend this guy after his performance tonight. If he's know passing it side ways to McBride then he is passing it back to Bamba.:grr:
Or over-hitting passes that go beyond the player and out of play.

Part of the problem is our set-up and game-plan. The Killie midfield hunted in packs, often leaving Miller isolated and with limited options for a pass. But there were other less pressured times when his final ball was just way short of what he can do.

How wrong you so nearly were !
Always confident we wouldn't concede four. :whistle:

Wish I could say the same for Saturday at Parkhead.