PDA

View Full Version : Who would you take

Brads Laing
18-09-2010, 08:36 PM
If you were chairman, who would you make the next hibs manager

john18722
18-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Craig Brown. Not exciting but would get team organised.

Brads Laing
18-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Could be a decent choice for just now, maybe not long term though

Aldo
18-09-2010, 08:48 PM
McInnes or Coleman would do for me TBH.

No ties to ER.

thebakerboy
18-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Don't really know but not Tony Mowbray or Chris Coleman , we need someone who can instill a real team spirit at ER.:flag:

Jack
18-09-2010, 09:01 PM
None of the above.
John Toshack - available now!

O'Brien[11]
18-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Martin O'Neill:wink:

Alex Trager
18-09-2010, 09:16 PM
;2580459"]Martin O'Neill:wink:
This would be unspeakably sweet

Fat Stu
18-09-2010, 09:18 PM
what about alan curbishly or john mcglynn, would take either of those.

Don't want mogga back, takie off those rose tinted specs people for every sproule there was 4 kontes.

Prawn Sandwich
18-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Michael O'Neil

steakbake
18-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Jesus wept. Tony Mowbray? Seriously people, get a hold of yersels. What has he actually ever achieved as a manager?

Alex Trager
18-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I've always liked from when we beat them at E.R. Last season St Johnstone...McInnes For Me.
Failing that Martin O'Neill

E.T. is a Hibee
18-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Too right, Pa Broon! The guy, I think,is exactly what we need. Think of all his experinance. He may not be the most dynamic out there but he knows how to organise a team!:agree:

At The Edge
18-09-2010, 09:29 PM
who the other is, is the question imo,
Knowing Hibs Gus McPherson would be a the choice as he would be free so to speak.

but someone who defo has no ties to Hibs, can train a team to play and be fit. not a lot to ask......is it?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2010, 09:45 PM

What Brown would do is look at the playing staff available and then get them to play to their strengths, starting with a basic concept of being hard to beat. Not have an idea of how the game should be played and then fake about for players who may or may not be able to do it. Last season when we were on fire we were fantastic, but when the wheels came off and plan a was not working, we then found out that plan b was to plug away with plan a even though it is not working.

Twiglet
18-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Don't know really. Voted other. Brown seems a decent shout. Always respected him as Scotland manager when I was wee. Feel he still has something to offer football. Not liked anhy of the Scotland managers much since (I liked Smith and McLeish, but lost all respect for them when they jumped at the first opportunity to manage a club).

MacBean
18-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Terry Butcher :agree:

lyonhibs
18-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I've always liked from when we beat them at E.R. Last season St Johnstone...McInnes For Me.
Failing that Martin O'Neill

You don't half haver. If we're living in fantasy-ville, I think I'd have O'Neill first then, failing that, McInnes.

For me, on terra firma, Paw Broon would be my choice.

darwenhibby
18-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I think Billy Brown would be worth a punt.

That fat ugly bafoon that grunts cannot be the tactical genius over there.

I remember a Jambo I used to work with when I lived in Edinburgh said Fat Jim was the motivator BB planned the training tactics and organisation.

El Gubbz
18-09-2010, 10:40 PM
This would be unspeakably sweet

How?

Alex Trager
18-09-2010, 10:42 PM
You don't half haver. If we're living in fantasy-ville, I think I'd have O'Neill first then, failing that, McInnes.

For me, on terra firma, Paw Broon would be my choice.
Explain...It was clearly a fantasy the O'Neill comment but i think McInnes would be worth one...For now i'll stand by hughes

delbert
18-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Interesting that so many want Pa Broon, yet so few seem to want Calderwood, because I believe they both would give us the same thing, namely organisation. Apart from one Cup Tie replay at Easter Road, we always seemed to find the way Aberdeen were set up under Calderwood very difficult to beat. I'm not saying he would be my number one choice, but I would certainly take an organiser like Calderwood before a few names mentioned on this thread, Craig Brown has done very well with the squad at his disposal, McInnes looks a prospect but carried a wee bit luck last season, just like our current incumbent, will be intresting to see how he fares after a poor start this time round for St. Johnstone. McPherson, please god no, Coleman your having a laugh. At present we appear to be football equivalent of headless chickens, we have got to get someone in who first and foremost can make us more difficult to score against, the flair stuff can come later, or we are going to in serious doo doo. Hughes time is over, everyone knows it, the wheel is still turning but the hamster died months ago.

Alex Trager
18-09-2010, 10:45 PM
How?
Martin O'Neill...This would be the manager that took cletic to the european cup final and won i dont know how many domestic trophies... had A.V. playing very well and has nout to do with hibs... He it would also get right up celtic...For the first time in our lives we've really-Kind of- stole him from them instead of the other way..

SteveHFC
18-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Derek McInnes or Terry Butcher.

Cropley10
18-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Michael O'Neill at Shamrock Rovers.

stokesmessiah
18-09-2010, 11:04 PM
What Brown would do is look at the playing staff available and then get them to play to their strengths, starting with a basic concept of being hard to beat. Not have an idea of how the game should be played and then fake about for players who may or may not be able to do it. Last season when we were on fire we were fantastic, but when the wheels came off and plan a was not working, we then found out that plan b was to plug away with plan a even though it is not working.

:confused:

Im not sure we were ever on fire mate. We were pretty lucky at the beginning of last season, apart from the game against Motherwell and perhaps a handful of other games did we play anywhere near to our potential imho????

hibee bouncer
19-09-2010, 08:44 AM
As much as his post match interviews sent me to sleep, I'd go for someone who'd steady the ship, use tactics effectively and as a bonus, want to get one over Romanov.......Csaba Laszlo gets my vote! Controversial I know but he done extremely well over the road considering!

Golden Bear
19-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Gordon Strachan will, I'm sure, be universally accepted by all netters.:wink:

He always said he'd like to be Hibs manager one day and the way things are going for him at Boro', he could be available very shortly.

glow1875
19-09-2010, 08:56 AM
The ex-Championship managers being mentioned are unrealistic,
both in terms of what we'll pay and who we can attract.
It's funny that lots of people are raving about Brown,
cos I'd guarantee if we'd appointed him two years ago there
would have been uproar and outrage on here about a lack of ambition.
I merely hope our board show the same balls and vision as Motherwell's to think
outside the box a wee bit.

Beefster
19-09-2010, 08:57 AM
None of the above.

cabbageandribs1875
19-09-2010, 09:01 AM

He always said he'd like to be Hibs manager one day and the way things are going for him at Boro', he could be available very shortly.

i wouldn't mind wee strachan as our manager :agree: or craig brown, or even calderwood

StevieC
19-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Michael O'Neil

Another ex-player .. that should work out well.

:hmmm:

AB Hibby
19-09-2010, 09:15 AM
This may be met with a few ???s but as a realistic ie can afford him and he might come then Gregg Abbott at Carlisle United.

They are my English team.....he's done a good job, had them nearly promoted to championship (missed out in playoffs) in his first season, then steadied the ship after a dip second season and finished mid table and now got them playing good stuff again and in third place this season. All on a fairly limited budget.

He sets his team out with width, likes a passing game but with a steely edge and has rebuilt the team a couple of times after reperatedly having his best players sold. Plus he talks sense in press interviews.

Sounds just like what we need.

slimshady
19-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Michael O'Neil perhaps
or
Bruce Rioch :thumbsup:

slimshady
19-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Another ex-player .. that should work out well.

:hmmm:

Turnbull was an ex player. The board have brought in the wrong men.

bjsc24671
19-09-2010, 09:28 AM
s sent me to sleep, I'd go for someone who'd steady the ship, use tactics effectively and as a bonus, want to get one over Romanov.......Csaba Laszlo gets my vote! Controversial I know but he done extremely well over the road considering![/QUOTE] what about archie knox brown assistant

judas
19-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Agreed.

Septimus
19-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Wonder if A.Watson from Birmingham would be interested ?

hibeedonald
19-09-2010, 10:31 AM
jim mcintrye? doing well just now.:dunno:

Davy Mac
19-09-2010, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=delbert;2580564]Interesting that so many want Pa Broon, yet so few seem to want Calderwood, because I believe they both would give us the same thing, namely organisation. Apart from one Cup Tie replay at Easter Road, we always seemed to find the way Aberdeen were set up under Calderwood very difficult to beat. I'm not saying he would be my number one choice, but I would certainly take an organiser like Calderwood before a few names mentioned on this thread, Craig Brown has done very well with the squad at his disposal, McInnes looks a prospect but carried a wee bit luck last season, just like our current incumbent, will be intresting to see how he fares after a poor start this time round for St. Johnstone. McPherson, please god no, Coleman your having a laugh. At present we appear to be football equivalent of headless chickens, we have got to get someone in who first and foremost can make us more difficult to score against, the flair stuff can come later, or we are going to in serious doo doo. Hughes time is over, everyone knows it, the wheel is still turning but the hamster died months ago.

Agreed :agree:

Hear what you are saying about Calderwood for organisation etc but the Tache will have to go for somebody with more experience, to steady a ship that should be riding the seven seas.

hibiedude
19-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Derek McInnes but to be honest lets forget the ex player route next time

Pretty Boy
19-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Nigel Worthington or Derek McInnes for me.

bingo70
19-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Don't know if it'd be realistic but Gareth Southgate could do a job, know he got Boro relegated but they've not exactly improved since he left so there was possibly other circumstances.

Plenty experience with bringing through young players, will have good contacts down south, normally talks sense on the box and seems like a decent guy and i think at this stage we could do with getting someone in the players both like and respect to try and lift the mood of the place.

I can understand why Mccinnes would be a popular choice but i'd rather we didn't go for someone thats done well at a smaller club but no experience of managing a bigger club (christ, i sound like a jambo there)

Hainan Hibs
19-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Tangoman from that list, wouldn't mind Paw Broon either.

jacomo
19-09-2010, 01:59 PM
How about the last manager to bring a trophy to Easter Road? He's available.

Why isn't John Collins on the list?

IndieHibby
19-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Terry Butcher

Dunbar Hibee
19-09-2010, 02:19 PM
How about the last manager to bring a trophy to Easter Road? He's available.

Why isn't John Collins on the list?

John Collins would never come back to Hibs.

.Sean.
19-09-2010, 02:25 PM

When did he say that?

Betty Boop
19-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Mark Venus ?

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm all for experience, but if they brought in a fusty old dullard like Brown or Calderwood, I really would be thinking about that cinema ticket.

Just because we've had our fingers burnt with some young ex-players, we shouldn't be running into the outstretched arms of any key-chain-slinging, brown-coat-clad janitor of tedium who crosses our path.

I'd take a punt on McInnes and Abbott sounds interesting. If we could get Costello as his assistant, it would still be less of a joke than the current set-up.

AndersonGGTTH
19-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Alan Pardew :)

silverhibee
19-09-2010, 02:47 PM

:greengrin

silverhibee
19-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Graeme Souness.

Or give the job to Ian Murray, Deek could be his No 2. :thumbsup:

sesoim
19-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Jimmy Calderwood would get us 3rd place guaranteed.

There is no other manager in that list I could say that about.

I'd take Mowbray back, but he did himself no favours while at Celtic and might muck us about again. Also, he'd probably want rid of Rioirdan again.

John Collins's overall record was poor (fans who like him should do some research) - he won the Cup because we didn't have to play the big two. His signings were mostly VERY poor, and as for his handling of players.....

McInnes has done ok, and I could see him doing ok in England, but I don;t think he would fit in at Hibs - and he'd walk out first chance he gets.

As for Michael O'Neill - why? He was a great player for 2 years and poor for his last year while he waited for a bosman move. Why would anyone want an Irish League manager at Hibs (unless they are Irish/of Irish descent -am I right?).

steakbake
19-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Duncan Bannatyne or James Caan.

churchie16
19-09-2010, 05:11 PM
phil brown :agree:

SneakersO'Toole
19-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Have to say there certainly aint a wealth of potential candidates.

T.Mowbray - Never works 2nd time round. Plus our defense had more holes under him than currently.

D.McInnes - what actually has he achieved?

T.Butcher - laughable suggestion

C.Brown - don't think he'd leave TBH.

J.Calderwood - maybe do a job. But he's a trumpet

M.O'neill - have we not learned our lesson with former players?

G.Macpherson - c'mon folks!

B.Reid - wouldn't take us forward

Moreover, people like Phil Brown, Gareth Southgate, Gordon Strachan are not going to come to Hibs. No chance.

For me, its got to be someone who is experienced. And by that I mean someone who has been in management longer than a couple years. I would also want someone from outside Scottish football. We need fresh ideas, thinking outside box, hungry for success.

If you ask me to name this person I couldn't. Bruce Rioch could be a shout from an experience point of view but again couldn't see him coming to Scotland.

pentlando
19-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Can't believe no one's said this already, but what a ridiculous thread. Maybe down the line when a vacancy arises this thread should too, but until then i will remain behind the gaffer. Overall big yogi ain't done a bad job. 4th place finish in his first season, and after a 'crisis' start to this we're only bloody 7th. IMO this type of thread sums up some of the horrible support shown to the manager and players so far this season, and the sooner it ******s off the better!

Aldo
19-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Wot about shabby laszlo.....

Hiber-nation
19-09-2010, 06:44 PM
As much as his post match interviews sent me to sleep, I'd go for someone who'd steady the ship, use tactics effectively and as a bonus, want to get one over Romanov.......Csaba Laszlo gets my vote! Controversial I know but he done extremely well over the road considering!

His tactics would ensure that crowds would plummet to under 10k, even if we were winning 1-0.

Russian Hibs Fan
19-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Tony Mowbray without a doubt, but he will never return.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Why no Roy Race in the list?

RickyS
19-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I honestly can't believe i'm saying this but I would go for Paw Broon. i've had my fill off the young up and coming (easy to beat/outwit) guys. No Hibs ties is essential. plenty of out of work managers down south, guys like

Phil Brown
Kevin Blackwell
Allan Curbishley
Sven :greengrin
Ian Dowie
Paul Hart
Paul Ince
Paul Jewell
Kevin Keegan
Joe Kinear
Gary Megson
Stuart McCall
Jim Magilton
Alan Pardew
Lawrie Sanchez
Steve Staunton
Colin Tod

Sumner
19-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Alan Pardew
Lawrie Sanchez
Phil Brown

... any of those guys would do 4 me :agree:

topcat!
19-09-2010, 08:42 PM
with the hibs history we will no doubt go for someone who is up and coming and wont cost as lot of money (salary or compensation) so for me i would have a look at Derek Adams and Craig Brewster as his second! Ok Brewster has history with us but i bet they get the players to toe the line??

ScottB
19-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I think there's been something fundamentally wrong at the club since Collins, JC attempted to change the culture at the club and failed. Since then, under Mixu and now Hughes, most of our squad seems unmotivated and unfit. Is this because of the managers being poor? Or are they being confronted by a group of players stuck in their ways that refuse to change?

We need someone to come in and lay down the law, if players don't like it then they get punted, regardless of who.

NOLA
19-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I voted for Calderwood, but would the fans take to another rangers man at the helm? I would if he got our home form and season back on track.

ekhibee
19-09-2010, 10:07 PM
It's quite difficult to see an English manager coming to Hibs, particularly one that's managed in the Premiership. Craig Brown would steady the boat, but I wouldn't really want him in the long term, he doesn't, and never has, struck me as a particularly ambitious person, but that's just my opinion. Sadly, it is much easier to find people who would not be good managers for Hibs than good ones, to me anyway.

Jack
19-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Hibs have a history of now and again pushing the boat out and doing the spectacular!
Why does no one think we can get John Toshack?
He reinvented Real Madrid in the early 90s; he reinvented Depotivo La Coruna.
He's had teams playing real football.
Like many recent Hibs signings he's currently unemployed, having made his whack. Get him on board!
For anyone who says he has no ties with Scotland, why would he want to come here I give you one of the best set up clubs in the UK and his mother is/wiz Scottish.

ScottB
19-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Hibs have a history of now and again pushing the boat out and doing the spectacular!
Why does no one think we can get John Toshack?
He reinvented Real Madrid in the early 90s; he reinvented Depotivo La Coruna.
He's had teams playing real football.
Like many recent Hibs signings he's currently unemployed, having made his whack. Get him on board!
For anyone who says he has no ties with Scotland, why would he want to come here I give you one of the best set up clubs in the UK and his mother is/wiz Scottish.

It would certainly be an ambitious appointment, as would going for any of the 'out of work big name' type managers.

The issue for that is, why would they come? When it's players they know they can come here and be rewarded with a big money move if they do well. I would imagine a similar motivation would be present for this type of manager, but how likely is it that they could do enough to get serious attention down South in their achievements? Threatening to split or actually splitting the Old Firm is probably what's required from their perspective, so the question is, how likely is the club to provide them with what's necessary to get Hibs winning Cups and running the Old Firm close.

The Board have shown a willingness in recent seasons to push the boat out in terms of player expenditure, hopefully next time we go for a manager that same logic will come into play and we go for the right man, not the cheap man.

Scotthibs1875
20-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I voted for Calderwood, but would the fans take to another rangers man at the helm? I would if he got our home form and season back on track.
Are you being serious? If we had calderwood we would be worse than we are now,and that is saying something. He'd be the last person i would want on that list

LeithBoozy
20-09-2010, 01:06 AM
We should try and get Coco, if we are going to employ a clown lets get a real professional. :greengrin

cad
20-09-2010, 03:15 AM
My choice of manager would be in the JC , Le Guen mould but they don't seem to go down to well with the pie and a pint brigade ,who seem to run our clubs .
Where else but Scottish football could journey men footballers oust real professionals ,maybe the hard work ethic is to much for them
I think we should go further afield don't know who the Moribor guy was but he would do for me , definitely not an ex player or an up and coming manager ,to be realy honest the last person to pick our new manager is Rod but Im afraid it will be his call again so Im not over enthusiastic
We will get who we get,whenever Yogi gets the heave , its pot luck after that ,
he wont cost very much I'm pretty sure of that and eighteen months down the line this thread will be back up again .

Toaods
20-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Posted a while ago that Paul Hart would be a great appointment. Another would be Ricky Sbragia.

Petrie's Tache
20-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Luggy, with John Blackley as his no2.:thumbsup:

Houchy
20-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Can't believe no one's said this already, but what a ridiculous thread. Maybe down the line when a vacancy arises this thread should too, but until then i will remain behind the gaffer. Overall big yogi ain't done a bad job. 4th place finish in his first season, and after a 'crisis' start to this we're only bloody 7th. IMO this type of thread sums up some of the horrible support shown to the manager and players so far this season, and the sooner it ******s off the better!

And ONLY 1 Point off bottom despite having, arguably, THE easiest start to the season out of all the other SPL teams. Yes, we're 3 points off third but really, who have we played apart from Rangers (at home and roundly beaten in the last 30 minutes).

If you're happy with that, you must be Yogi or a Yam.:agree:

allezsauzee
20-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Derek McInnes or Paul Sturrock.

darwenhibby
20-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Stuart Baxter might have a point to prove to Celtic & Neil Lennon.

The_Todd
20-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I know these are dirty words on here, but for me: Jimmy Calderwood.

1 - Experienced SPL manager. As in properly experienced. In fact, our most experienced manager since McLeish, perhaps-if not Lexo, even.

2 - Experience of a similar sized club, which Aberdeen undoubtedly are (unless you're still in the 80s like most Sheep are)

3 - Showed last season he could take a struggling squad and steady the ship.

4 - Despite the Sheepie's complaints, got them consistently high in the league (hounded out after finishing 3rd) and had a European adventure of the type Hibs could never dream of. (Dnipro, anyone? Elfsborg? Maribor?!).

4 - Most importantly he's a Hun (I'm led to believe) so we'd have no problem hating him when it inevitably went wrong :wink:

Hibby 2005
20-09-2010, 08:37 PM
John Collins, this time with the backing of his Chairman.

DH1875
20-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Can someone please explain the whole Derek McInnes thing for me. Wouldn't want him anywhere near Easter Road and just don't get it.
How about Stuart McCall? Anyone else take him if Yogi goes.

rossf18
21-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Someone who hasn't been mentioned is Gareth Evans. He already knows the players and I doubt he gets a say in team selection/tactics at the moment ahead of Rice. Can't be any worse than what we're doing right now!

Wouldn't mind giving him a shot in a temporary slot till someone decent comes available. Cause the name branded about don't exactly excite me.

TrickyNicky
21-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Can someone please explain the whole Derek McInnes thing for me. Wouldn't want him anywhere near Easter Road and just don't get it.
How about Stuart McCall? Anyone else take him if Yogi goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWfp0hIhH_Q

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Golden Bear
21-09-2010, 12:25 PM
If we ever wanted McInnnes then it will now cost us a lot of money to get him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_johnstone/9019148.stm

HibeePaj
21-09-2010, 10:22 PM
TOMMY CRAIG

thought id throw it in the mix

Just Jimmy
22-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Lee Clarke, Huddersfield. Bit of experience, top level playing experience, well presented eleqent young manager. who gives young kids a chance.

that'll do me.

steakbake
22-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Dan Petrescu.

Or, judging from how Everton have started their season, perhaps Davie Moyes will be looking for a job soon.

YehButNoBut
22-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Had put this on another thread saw Alan Irvine, Sheff Wed manager, mentioned as a possible Hibs manager on another forum yesterday, seems a good option.

Anyone know much about him?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/6953781/Alan-Irvine-appointed-Sheffield-Wednesday-manager-10-days-after-Preston-sacking.html