PDA

View Full Version : Bully boy Hughes

H18sry
18-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I get the impression that the players are scared of Hughes, he gives me the impression of an old school play ground bully, who shouts at then you wag's his finger at you and then just verbally abuses you if you don't do as he says, verbal abuse does not work, so does anybody else get the same impression?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Will somebody please shutdown the internet!

Kevvy1875
18-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Couldn't resist....

http://russelldavies.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bullseye.jpg

H18sry
18-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Will somebody please shutdown the internet!

Why:confused:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Why:confused:

Because this is daein ma nut in.

hiblander
18-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I get the impression that the players are scared of Hughes, he gives me the impression of an old school play ground bully, who shouts at then you wag's his finger at you and then just verbally abuses you if you don't do as he says, verbal abuse does not work, so does anybody else get the same impression?

Are you suggesting John Hughes is a sex offender ? Cause **** me mate i wouldnt start a thread on this topic, typical Hibs fan making me feel ashamed to support the team.

Baldy Foghorn
18-09-2010, 07:20 PM

He certainly does not look like he has any respect from players, shouting and screaming at them during matches, whilst play rages on..... Various spats with Riordan, Murray, Hogg, McBride so far this Season, and it is only 5 league games old....

H18sry
18-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Are you suggesting John Hughes is a sex offender ? Cause **** me mate i wouldnt start a thread on this topic, typical Hibs fan making me feel ashamed to support the team.

You have lost me, who mentioned sex offender, what I said was a bully. :confused:

Beefster
18-09-2010, 07:24 PM

I think you've missed the OP's point spectacularly. In fact, more than anyone has ever missed the point in the history of Hibs.net.

Congratulations.

SneakersO'Toole
18-09-2010, 07:26 PM
He certainly does not look like he has any respect from players, shouting and screaming at them during matches, whilst play rages on..... Various spats with Riordan, Murray, Hogg, McBride so far this Season, and it is only 5 league games old....

Its because he demands it as opposed to earning it.

No wonder the players bite back.

Kevvy1875
18-09-2010, 07:36 PM

WTF?:smokin

stantonhibby
18-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I think you've missed the OP's point spectacularly. In fact, more than anyone has ever missed the point in the history of Hibs.net.

Congratulations.

:top marks

The Sundance Kid
18-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Woah mate you are well out of order calling Yogi a racist terrorist. Should be ashamed of yourself :wink:

Twa Cairpets
18-09-2010, 08:15 PM

Perfect example:

Half an hour in, the balls in play by the west stand between the penalty box and touchline. Hughes appears at the edge of the technical area and screams, veins bulging and eyes popping this tactical gem.

"Edwin. Edwin!"

I turn to see what Mr de Graaf is doing, and what he is doing is marking a Hamilton player. So doing the right thing. What did Yogi want to happen? De Graaf to stop, turn to him and get instructions? Run to the touchline and get some guidance?

Like much of yogis "instructions", it was just pointless yelling, and it was the moment that it was time-up for him for me.

Like any workplace, if you know the reaction to you making an error is a to get a vesuvian bollocking by a manager who thinks motivation is screaming abuse, your first goal is to avoid making errors rather than attempting to achieve something good by maybe taking a few risks or being creative. I absolutely believe that that is what is happening with Hibs - players frightened to take a risk in case they get ripped by the manager or booed by the fans.

Hiber-nation
18-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Perfect example:

Half an hour in, the balls in play by the west stand between the penalty box and touchline. Hughes appears at the edge of the technical area and screams, veins bulging and eyes popping this tactical gem.

"Edwin. Edwin!"

I turn to see what Mr de Graaf is doing, and what he is doing is marking a Hamilton player. So doing the right thing. What did Yogi want to happen? De Graaf to stop, turn to him and get instructions? Run to the touchline and get some guidance?

Like much of yogis "instructions", it was just pointless yelling, and it was the moment that it was time-up for him for me.

Like any workplace, if you know the reaction to you making an error is a to get a vesuvian bollocking by a manager who thinks motivation is screaming abuse, your first goal is to avoid making errors rather than attempting to achieve something good by maybe taking a few risks or being creative. I absolutely believe that that is what is happening with Hibs - players frightened to take a risk in case they get ripped by the manager or booed by the fans.

I noticed that one as well - the only effect it could have had was to distract De Graaf from the job in hand. And you really don't want to do that.

Whenever he gives senior players a bollocking they just shout back at him anyway as McBride has done umpteen times.

Anyway I've had enough of him bawling them out on the pitch then saying he couldnae have ask for more from them in the post match interview.

Time's up Yogi.

H18sry
19-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Woah mate you are well out of order calling Yogi a racist terrorist. Should be ashamed of yourself :wink:

:devil:

Last week was a prime example when he lost the head with Scptt Thompsom in the dugout then Scott storms off down the tunnel.

Hughes is a bully. :agree:

johnbc70
19-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Falkirk supporting mate says he was known as a bully there so nothing has changed. So much for a modern football manager, sounds like he is stuck in a byegone era.

sesoim
19-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Falkirk supporting mate says he was known as a bully there so nothing has changed. So much for a modern football manager, sounds like he is stuck in a byegone era.

:agree: The intimidating caveman types used to get jobs in the old days because people stupidly thought being a loud bully made you a good boss. Now that intelligence is more important, you need to be more the Wenger type to do well.

Hughes probably still has a career out there...... as a bouncer.

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2010, 03:32 PM

:agree:

:agree: The intimidating caveman types used to get jobs in the old days because people stupidly thought being a loud bully made you a good boss. Now that intelligence is more important, you need to be more the Wenger type to do well.

:faf:

discman
19-09-2010, 03:44 PM

yeah that alec ferguson geezer known for his gentle half time chats!:faf:

(((Fergus)))
19-09-2010, 03:55 PM

that's not all he's known for though is it?

discman
19-09-2010, 03:58 PM

notice you are always quoting your falkirk mates and how they were glad to see the back of a manager who took them one semi,league cup and a scottish cup final where by,everyone who saw it falkirk played rangers off the park and were beaten by a wonder goal, oh yeah and got them into europe first time in there history!!!

too much excitement for them? :cool2:

silverhibee
19-09-2010, 04:02 PM
:devil:

Last week was a prime example when he lost the head with Scptt Thompsom in the dugout then Scott storms off down the tunnel.

Hughes is a bully. :agree:

He was having a go at Gareth Evans yesterday.

I just hope that RP and SL are seeing this kind of behaviour from there seat that is coming from our manager, it is embarrssing to watch from him.

Ed De Gramo
19-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Couldn't disagree more...

If you read Stacky's interview in The Sun, you'll see that Yogi's more like a mate than a manager...

discman
19-09-2010, 04:13 PM
that's not all he's known for though is it?

correct, but I'm assuming you get my drift, any manager involved at the top level and I include yogi in that,shouts and bawls ,if he didnt, imagine the posts on here? he doesnt care, blah blah, and do you seriously imagine that a appointing new manager,this squad will suddenly start playing the style of football we ALL want to see at ER? :cool2:

sesoim
19-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Tbh I thought of him afterwards - maybe he has the right balance between thug and footballing genius. :wink:

Although Stam, Beckham, Van Nistelroy and so on might have lasted a bit longer at Man U if Fergie could control his temper better!

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2010, 04:23 PM

If you read Stacky's interview in The Sun, you'll see that Yogi's more like a mate than a manager...

Stacky would not stand anyone shouting at him, and would probably knock seven shades out of Yogi:wink:

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2010, 04:27 PM
correct, but I'm assuming you get my drift, any manager involved at the top level and I include yogi in that,shouts and bawls ,if he didnt, imagine the posts on here? he doesnt care, blah blah, and do you seriously imagine that a appointing new manager,this squad will suddenly start playing the style of football we ALL want to see at ER? :cool2:

Utter tripe. If they do its generally at the referee or to react to some perceived injustice. They don't scream, yell and try to micromanage the position and actions of their players at every stage of the game. Its very dangerous to conflate passion with tactical ability. The best managers set out their teams, tell them what they want them to do, and trust that professional footballers will carry out their directions to the best of their ability. Theres a world of difference between tweaking formations to fix what isnt working and bollocking a full back because he had the temerity to be beaten by a pacy winger.

Examples of managers that watch a game then attempt to change it when they can- i.e. half time or during training? Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp, Roy Hodgson - or in other words all the top premiership managers.

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2010, 04:49 PM

One of the things about Ferguson is he knows what works for different players. Sometimes he'll chivvy them along, sometimes it's the hairdryer. Strachan said, he could never tell when Ferguson had genuinely lost it and when he was putting it on.

The classic is the way he handled Cantona, recognising that the guy was a bit special he would play along with him rather than lay into him.

There is no comparison with Yogi "play or I'll stick ma... [you get the rest]", and Ferguson's robustness. A bully tends to be a one trick pony, using phrases like "it's my way or the highway" and "shape up or ship out".

They also get the shock of their life when it doesn't work on people over the age of 20.

Tbh I thought of him afterwards - maybe he has the right balance between thug and footballing genius. :wink:

Although Stam, Beckham, Van Nistelroy and so on might have lasted a bit longer at Man U if Fergie could control his temper better!

I think if he'd wanted to control it he would have. All of their best days were behind them when they left Old Trafford.

discman
19-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Utter tripe. If they do its generally at the referee or to react to some perceived injustice. They don't scream, yell and try to micromanage the position and actions of their players at every stage of the game. Its very dangerous to conflate passion with tactical ability. The best managers set out their teams, tell them what they want them to do, and trust that professional footballers will carry out their directions to the best of their ability. Theres a world of difference between tweaking formations to fix what isnt working and bollocking a full back because he had the temerity to be beaten by a pacy winger.

Examples of managers that watch a game then attempt to change it when they can- i.e. half time or during training? Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp, Roy Hodgson - or in other words all the top premiership managers.

And if they dont you suggest they would do nothing until half time?

yeterday he was shouting at both fullbacks to push up and give our midfield options, and push their wingers back, those were the instructions and they werent, so he hollered

never said that passion and tactical nous were synonymous otherwise we would all be able to manage as opposed to bump our gums on here :cool2:

discman
19-09-2010, 05:04 PM
One of the things about Ferguson is he knows what works for different players. Sometimes he'll chivvy them along, sometimes it's the hairdryer. Strachan said, he could never tell when Ferguson had genuinely lost it and when he was putting it on.

The classic is the way he handled Cantona, recognising that the guy was a bit special he would play along with him rather than lay into him.

There is no comparison with Yogi "play or I'll stick ma... [you get the rest]", and Ferguson's robustness. A bully tends to be a one trick pony, using phrases like "it's my way or the highway" and "shape up or ship out".

They also get the shock of their life when it doesn't work on people over the age of 20.

I think if he'd wanted to control it he would have. All of their best days were behind them when they left Old Trafford.

I see you put in some quotes from yogi or did you just make them up to support

your perceived notion of his management style,strange that stokesy rated him or does that not count now? and is the inference here that as a consequnce of yogi
shouting and bawling at them,thats why there playing so poorly? :cool2:

discman
19-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Stacky would not stand anyone shouting at him, and would probably knock seven shades out of Yogi:wink:

Of course he would mr foghorn,time for your medication and a wee nap.

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2010, 05:24 PM
And if they dont you suggest they would do nothing until half time?

yeterday he was shouting at both fullbacks to push up and give our midfield options, and push their wingers back, those were the instructions and they werent, so he hollered

never said that passion and tactical nous were synonymous otherwise we would all be able to manage as opposed to bump our gums on here :cool2:

He was also bollocking Hart for not being in the correct defensive position to cover one of their strikers in the first half. Hart shouted back it wasn't his man, it was de Graafs, Yogi continues to go ballistic and scream like a demented loon. de Graaf is involved so the manager, a full back and a midfielder are effectively arguing on the pitch while the game is going in. This isnt healthy.

If he was genuinely trying to change the shape then I'd be delighted. (Although one would have to question why in every game, there exists the requirement to reinforce to players what they are meant to be doing 2 minutes after kick off. What the hell do they do during the wek and pre-match?).

...and is the inference here that as a consequnce of yogi
shouting and bawling at them,thats why there playing so poorly?

Yes, without a doubt thats one of the reasons.

oconnors_strip
19-09-2010, 05:29 PM

only to a few certain players gramo! if your face doesnt fit then it can be like a form of bullying:bitchy:

basehibby
19-09-2010, 05:37 PM

I think that's a bit unfair on Hughes - he was an intimidating character on the football pitch and caertainly looks like a hardman, but as I reacll it, most saw that as a positive rather than a negative when he was appointed as Hibs boss - ie he'd take no BS from the players and make sure they tried a leg.
However, from what I hear he takes quite a different approach as manager and tends to try coax them along rather than revert to the hairdryer treatment. I can't say I'm an authority on his management style though - what matters is how it all translates to results on the park and that's not been good for quite a while now - there's still time for him to turn things around but it's running out fast.

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Of course he would mr foghorn,time for your medication and a wee nap.

:yawn::yawn:

Lofarl
19-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I can mind seeing and hearing last year from the east Yogi screaming at Deek, during the Motherwell game. Funnily enough Deek and the whole team played a cracking match. So I thought that maybe this Firebrand approach was doing the business, afterall having Yogi screaming at you at HT would not be a enviable scenario.

But time after time we have seen the same old Yogi screaming god knows what to the players on the pitch with no results. Its clear that this approach is no longer working and I think the Hairdryer method needs changed.

Yogi would be as well as sitting in the East and slavering his instructions out as the players aint listening to him from the touchline. As a matter of a fact John, you would be as well trying to put on a high vis jacket and telling us all to sit down. Im sure we'd ignore you too.

Brizo
19-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Your right that he gives that impression from what we see of him on the touchlines. Most games he reminds me of a Maybury league manager in a good suit.

He may well be a bully but if rumours about players off field habits and his inability to get them to train for more than a couple of hours a day are to be believed hes certainly not a strong manager.

An intelligent manager and an intelligent man manager will know that if hes continually barracking the players it soon loses any impact. I would suggest that Yogis Jack Kane radge act has probably lost any impact it ever had and has lost him a lot of respect with the players. Like so much with him its just all bluster.

Sas_The_Hibby
19-09-2010, 06:20 PM

A "mate" is exactly what he shouldn't be, though. You can't be a mate and then manage the team effectively, particularly when things aren't going well. Like oconnors_strip, I also suspect he's only a mate to the players who join in his 'hilarious' pranks. His attitude to the others is up for debate and his bullying side was very apparent, IMO, in that recent already notorious BBC interview.

discman
19-09-2010, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=TwoCarpets;2581409]He was also bollocking Hart for not being in the correct defensive position to cover one of their strikers in the first half. Hart shouted back it wasn't his man, it was de Graafs, Yogi continues to go ballistic and scream like a demented loon. de Graaf is involved so the manager, a full back and a midfielder are effectively arguing on the pitch while the game is going in. This isnt healthy.

If he was genuinely trying to change the shape then I'd be delighted. (Although one would have to question why in every game, there exists the requirement to reinforce to players what they are meant to be doing 2 minutes after kick off. What the hell do they do during the wek and pre-match?).

Yes, without a doubt thats one of the reasons.[/QUOTE

And what exactly do you base this on? :cool2:

Sas_The_Hibby
19-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Your right that he gives that impression from what we see of him on the touchlines. Most games he reminds me of a Maybury league manager in a good suit.

He may well be a bully but if rumours about players off field habits and his inability to get them to train for more than a couple of hours a day are to be believed hes certainly not a strong manager.

An intelligent manager and an intelligent man manager will know that if hes continually barracking the players it soon loses any impact. I would suggest that Yogis Jack Kane radge act has probably lost any impact it ever had and has lost him a lot of respect with the players. Like so much with him its just all bluster.

Perhaps his next career move could be as a vociferous parent at primary school matches......

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2010, 06:48 PM
And what exactly do you base this on? :cool2:

I base it on the following:
1) Spouting incoherent p!sh seldom has a positive effect on performance, in my experience.
2) Sitting close enough to the dugout in the West, the reaction of the players is very telling. Some shake their head in disbelief or shout back (McBride, Hart, Deeks). Others just kind of let it wash over them (Miller, Hogg, de Graaf). Others still just seem totally confused by the whole guff (Hanlon, Galbraith).
3) Whilst he's micromanaging every kick, he cant see the bigger picture.
4) Head-butting the dugout not only makes him look like an out of control thug, but will lose him the respect or trust of players. If he's punching the wall and shouting "He's f****** p!sh", "useless ****", etc in earshot of the fans, what are the players on the benvh going to think - "is this what he's saying baout mne when im on the pitch?"
5) The performances in 2010. Almost all of them.

That enough for you?

marinello59
19-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Last week was a prime example when he lost the head with Scott Thompsom in the dugout then Scott storms off down the tunnel.

I noticed that last week and was expecting several posts about it on here. I was starting to think I had imagined it. His antics on the touchline are bizarre to say the least. The players do just seem to either ignore him or shout straight back at him. Somebody else has mentioned how he tries to micro manage situations during the game and I would agree. When he starts doing that he not only destroys confidence, he becomes a distraction from the job in hand.

Saorsa
19-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I noticed that last week and was expecting several posts about it on here. I was starting I had imagined it. His antics on the touchline are bizarre to say the least. The players do just seem to either ignore him or shout straight back at him. Somebody else has mentioned how he tries to micro manage situations during the game and I would agree. When he starts doing that he not only destroys confidence, he becomes a distraction from the job in hand.I sat right behind the dugout for the Maribor game and his behaviour was ridiculous, punching and thumping the dugout, he honestly looked like an escapee from the nut house, shouting, bawling and doing his nut at everybody in the dugout, shouting and bawling at players on the park most of who ignored him.

Lost the plot :agree:

discman
19-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I base it on the following:
1) Spouting incoherent p!sh seldom has a positive effect on performance, in my experience.
2) Sitting close enough to the dugout in the West, the reaction of the players is very telling. Some shake their head in disbelief or shout back (McBride, Hart, Deeks). Others just kind of let it wash over them (Miller, Hogg, de Graaf). Others still just seem totally confused by the whole guff (Hanlon, Galbraith).
3) Whilst he's micromanaging every kick, he cant see the bigger picture.
4) Head-butting the dugout not only makes him look like an out of control thug, but will lose him the respect or trust of players. If he's punching the wall and shouting "He's f****** p!sh", "useless ****", etc in earshot of the fans, what are the players on the benvh going to think - "is this what he's saying baout mne when im on the pitch?"
5) The performances in 2010. Almost all of them.

That enough for you?

Given the level of abuse that yourself and other "experts" level at our manager about being ignorant,thick etc can you explain how he managed to obtain all his relevant qualifications for being a manager,pro licence,european licence etc

Has been used the SFA to take coaching sessions of current SPL pros on several occcasions,hes been asked by the Irish fa to do the same on at least 2 occasions

My point is that this doesnt seem to be the same person your refering to in my opinion,players who are being paid up to 2 grand aweek should be technically able
ie passing heading etc and have a modicum of understanding of making angles etc,

And contrary to whats being posted here,thats not a great squad hes got, never mind that it was mixus he inherited,hes trying to build ateam that plays the way he wants,which isnt the "dutch way" its passing, simples, what falkirk did against the hun in the scottish cup,pass them off the park is am guessing how he would like hibs to play.Its how I would like hibs to play, so he can rant on as far am concernd untill he gets it right :cool2:

SRHibs
19-09-2010, 08:08 PM
:jamboclow:jamboclow:jamboclow:jamboclow:jamboclow

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Given the level of abuse that yourself and other "experts" level at our manager about being ignorant,thick etc can you explain how he managed to obtain all his relevant qualifications for being a manager,pro licence,european licence etc

Has been used the SFA to take coaching sessions of current SPL pros on several occcasions,hes been asked by the Irish fa to do the same on at least 2 occasions

Being a good coach does not necessarily make you a good manager. As in any walk of life, being good at certain position or role does not necessarily make you good at managing people in that role. Being a good sales person does not mean that you'll be a good sales manager. Being a good carpenter doesn't mean you could manage a joinery business.

I've no idea if he is a good coach by the way, but the evidence is somewhat against him being a good manager.

My point is that this doesnt seem to be the same person your refering to in my opinion,players who are being paid up to 2 grand aweek should be technically able
ie passing heading etc and have a modicum of understanding of making angles etc,
Yes, yes they should.

So either theyre not very good after all, or they're not being coached properly, or theyre not being allowed to do the job. Which is it, because I dont believe it to be the first of these. Do you?

Given you believe that they're incapable of "making angles, etc", it does tend somewhat to invalidate your claim regarding Yogis coaching qualities.

And contrary to whats being posted here,thats not a great squad hes got, never mind that it was mixus he inherited,hes trying to build ateam that plays the way he wants,which isnt the "dutch way" its passing, simples, what falkirk did against the hun in the scottish cup,pass them off the park is am guessing how he would like hibs to play.Its how I would like hibs to play, so he can rant on as far am concernd untill he gets it right :cool2:

You'll find if you cared to do any research that the Dutch Way is all about touch, about passing, about playing in triangles, about being comfortable on the ball, so I don't know what you are meaning.

And lets look at this team of Mixus, shall we?
Brown, Hart, Dickoh, Grounds, Miller, McBride, de Graaf. Pretty sure they weren't here under Mixu, and all started on Saturday. All decent looking players with a decent pedigree (or at least should be). So how come they now magically seem unable to play as a team?

BEEJ
19-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Only 10 of the current squad of 27 players played under Mixu as well.

Danderhall Hibs
20-09-2010, 08:36 AM

He sounds like a pish bully then! I want my bullies to be feared and that would mean noone shouting back at them.

We need a right good bully to take charge IMO.

Baldy Foghorn
20-09-2010, 08:49 AM
He sounds like a pish bully then! I want my bullies to be feared and that would mean noone shouting back at them.

We need a right good bully to take charge IMO.

:greengrin

Houchy
20-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Are you for real or have I just missed your smillies???

Where the hell did HI8sry allude, at any point to Yogi being a sex offender:confused:

Loon

kennyh
20-09-2010, 12:08 PM
usually sit miles away from the dugouts but at tannadice last season in the last game of the season I was right beside it and spent a fair amount of time looking at Yogi and the reaction of the players to his inane shouts.

Stokes several times simply ignored his plea for him to come over, then Nish decided he better go over even though it was Stokes Yogi wanted. When Stokes told him he was to switch positions there was a look of disgust shown to the dug out.
He also moved a CH to FB (cant remember who) and again that was met with a shrug and disaproving look.
I was surprised at just how often he shouted commands at the players. At a United corner Deek stayed up as the lone striker and was told by Yogi to defend then as he went in to defend was pulled up front again. WTF ?? Clear instruction is fine and warranted but shouting and bawling for the sake of appearing to be passionate is a waste of his and the players energy.

At the time It was obvious the team were obviously lacking confidence as we were in a bad run and it was clear several players simply ignored his shouts. I wouldnt put it down to bullying, it is a total lack of respect.

I also have lost any respect I had for Yogi and wish him well with whoever employs him next.

GGTTH

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I see you put in some quotes from yogi or did you just make them up to support

your perceived notion of his management style,strange that stokesy rated him or does that not count now? and is the inference here that as a consequnce of yogi
shouting and bawling at them,thats why there playing so poorly? :cool2:

I didn't make them up. I think the whole discussion on the thread is that a bully can't succeed.

Stokesy was out on the lash all the time and behaving like a ned. What does that say?

Maybe it says more about how easy coaching badges are easy to get?

I was surprised at just how often he shouted commands at the players. At a United corner Deek stayed up as the lone striker and was told by Yogi to defend then as he went in to defend was pulled up front again. WTF ?? Clear instruction is fine and warranted but shouting and bawling for the sake of appearing to be passionate is a waste of his and the players energy.

Kind of similar to the way he played the game. Ran around like a headless chicken, often trying to play other players balls, only to find himself sucked out of position.

Passion alone is not enough, a bit of thought is sometimes needed.

Andy74
20-09-2010, 03:29 PM
What total pash.

First he was too pally with the players and too soft, now he's a bully.

This from people who have never worked a day for him or with him in their lives.

sambajustice
20-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Just one problem with this... We dont have Russell Latapy!

And I hope no-one says "zemmama could do it" Not only would he not be fit to lace Latapy's boots, he wouldnt even be worthy of going into the shop and buying him the boots!!

Besides, this amazing passing game that Falkirk had got them to a lofty 11th place in the league. Also a great perforamce in the cup final!! Pity they lost it! If Hughes didnt have Latapy at Falkirk then there's no danger they would have stayed up.

Doesnt matter what his management style is, its not working! we're utter pish and i'm seriously worried about a relegation fight this year!

allmodcons
20-09-2010, 04:02 PM
What total pash.

This from people who have never worked a day for him or with him in their lives.

You're wasting your time mate. The people on this board spouting their vitriolic pish at/about Yogi are the very same people who said he was a passionate Hibee just about this time last year.

It's fair enough to criticise the team set up and tactics, but some of the personal abuse being dished out on here to Hughes and Colin Nish in particular is just plain sad. None of them have any answers and IMO are more fickle than old firm fans.

I wonder how many of these 'critics' would tell Yogi what they think of him face to face?

bawheid
20-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Just one problem with this... We dont have Russell Latapy!

And I hope no-one says "zemmama could do it" Not only would he not be fit to lace Latapy's boots, he wouldnt even be worthy of going into the shop and buying him the boots!!

Besides, this amazing passing game that Falkirk had got them to a lofty 11th place in the league. Also a great perforamce in the cup final!! Pity they lost it! If Hughes didnt have Latapy at Falkirk then there's no danger they would have stayed up.

Doesnt matter what his management style is, its not working! we're utter pish and i'm seriously worried about a relegation fight this year!

What are you on about? Latapy had left long before the Cup final.

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2010, 04:24 PM
What total pash.

I don't know, every time I go to ER it feels like going to work. Credit where it is due?

You're wasting your time mate. The people on this board spouting their vitriolic pish at/about Yogi are the very same people who said he was a passionate Hibee just about this time last year.

It's fair enough to criticise the team set up and tactics, but some of the personal abuse being dished out on here to Hughes and Colin Nish in particular is just plain sad. None of them have any answers and IMO are more fickle than old firm fans.

I wonder how many of these 'critics' would tell Yogi what they think of him face to face?

This is getting pathetic. If you had one iota of proof for your attack on people who are only stating an opinion it would be one thing. But to come on and say that people slagging him off are people who backed him a year ago is just mince.

There are plenty of answers being offered, including one that comes up time and time again - sack Yogi. It's easy then he won't have to put up with the personal abuse we are heaping on him, for the abject humiliation he is heaping on us with the performances and results.

Alex Millar, probably our best manager since Turnbull when you consider the climate he was working in took a lot more abuse than this. I don't ever recall him losing his dignity, and I don't remember too many people sticking up for him.

The bottom line is - banter is part and parcel of being a football manager. If Yogi has it, he'll turn this around and he'll have the last laugh.

sambajustice
20-09-2010, 04:26 PM
What are you on about? Latapy had left long before the Cup final.

I was meaning in general. Latapy carried that team!

bawheid
20-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I was meaning in general. Latapy carried that team!

Nah, afraid that's nonsense.

Latterly, Latapy was a bit-part player at Falkirk. He would get ten minutes here and there as a substitute.

He did however help out Hughes with the coaching, and it could be argued that Falkirk's deterioration in the league coincided with him leaving to take up a job with T&T.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2010, 04:39 PM

I don't think this is the case, as he'd have been 'tapped up' by Hearts by now.

bawheid
20-09-2010, 04:42 PM
This is getting pathetic. If you had one iota of proof for your attack on people who are only stating an opinion it would be one thing.

Hang on though. Is there one iota of proof that Hughes is a bully? Or the various other character assassinations that go on here on a daily basis?

There are plenty of answers being offered, including one that comes up time and time again - sack Yogi. It's easy then he won't have to put up with the personal abuse we are heaping on him, for the abject humiliation he is heaping on us with the performances and results.

Yeah, folk used to say this about Mixu. Poor Mixu, if only he would just leave so we didn't have to subject him to such horrendous abuse. I'd like to think our managers are made of sterner stuff. As for "abject humiliation". Do you actually know what that is?

Alex Millar, probably our best manager since Turnbull when you consider the climate he was working in took a lot more abuse than this. I don't ever recall him losing his dignity, and I don't remember too many people sticking up for him.

Alex Miller didn't have to put up with 3,000 faceless wonders analysing his every utterance 24 hours a day, looking for the next angle to beat him with.

Arch Stanton
20-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Alex Miller didn't have to put up with 3,000 faceless wonders analysing his every utterance 24 hours a day, looking for the next angle to beat him with.

Hughes doesn't read the fans forums - he said so.

bawheid
20-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Hughes doesn't read the fans forums - he said so.

The fans forums feed the media, who fire questions at Hughes seven days a week. The over-analysis of everything he says also has a negative effect on the support as a whole IMO, which translates itself to Easter Road on matchday.

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Hang on though. Is there one iota of proof that Hughes is a bully? Or the various other character assassinations that go on here on a daily basis?

Not one iota of proof. It's a fair cop.

Yeah, folk used to say this about Mixu. Poor Mixu, if only he would just leave so we didn't have to subject him to such horrendous abuse. I'd like to think our managers are made of sterner stuff. As for "abject humiliation". Do you actually know what that is?

Only in dreams. :devil:

No in those days you just went to the ground and sang Miller must go for 90 minutes. Besides, neither does Yogi as he doesn't read fans' forums.

Verdict: hoist by my own Picard

http://bullmurph.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/picard.jpg

Arch Stanton
20-09-2010, 05:01 PM
The fans forums feed the media, who fire questions at Hughes seven days a week. The over-analysis of everything he says also has a negative effect on the support as a whole IMO, which translates itself to Easter Road on matchday.

I admire your loyalty but it doesn't really wash - does it?

Hughes has had a very easy ride from the media. He has only been asked one semi-difficult question that I have seen and his reaction to it was aggressive, and yes, bully-like.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2010, 07:33 PM
What total pash.

For what its worth, I hope I'm wrong. Ive never met John Hughes, and there is no doubting his passion.

I'm judging solely on his actions, demeanour and language during the 90 minutes of a match. I dont shout at him during a game, nor do I give Nish or any other player a hard time during a game - I want to support the team on the park.

But from what I witness, my entirely subjective opinion of his management style is that it is counter-productive, outdated and one-dimensional.

As for "telling him face-to-face", whats that got do with anything? If I say no presumably Im a coward and if I say yes than I'm a lying keyboard hardman? This is an internet forum to discuss Hibs, and I think it valid to discuss how things are going, don't you? i agree the personal, stupid abuse is tedious, pointless and dull, but it is entirely fair to criticise the actions of an individual without criticising the individual themselves.

H18sry
23-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Well after Hughes's antics last night has anybody changed there mind now :cool2:

Andy74
23-09-2010, 07:46 AM
What antics?

Golden Bear
23-09-2010, 07:49 AM
What antics?

If you've got a spare two hours to trawl through last night's disillusioned posts then I'm sure you'll find the answer.

:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
23-09-2010, 07:58 AM
If you've got a spare two hours to trawl through last night's disillusioned posts then I'm sure you'll find the answer.

:wink:

"disillusioned posts", are you saying that nothing happened in the dressing room after the game then:confused:

Golden Bear
23-09-2010, 08:08 AM
"disillusioned posts", are you saying that nothing happened in the dressing room after the game then:confused:

Disillusioned - ie disappointed that the great dressing room brawl actually happened.

Andy74
23-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Still waiting to hear what hughes's antics were?

H18sry
23-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Still waiting to hear what hughes's antics were?

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?193248-Punches-thrown-in-Hibs-dressing-room-Yogi-post-match-interview-(merged) take your pick :rolleyes:

tooley
23-09-2010, 09:01 AM

:agree:Have to agree, I think its the other way round Ronnie, John Hughes has NO respect from the players.

H18sry
23-09-2010, 09:07 AM
:agree:Have to agree, I think its the other way round Ronnie, John Hughes has NO respect from the players.

If thats the case why is he still at ER, its like peeing into the wind, if he has no respect from the players he clearly has lost the dressing room.