PDA

View Full Version : Nish was onside (IMHO)

IWasThere2016
18-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Rather irrelevant but a pause on the SKY+ on the Alba shows him in line at worst - possibly even slightly behing the CH nearest Galbraith.

Westie1875
18-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Rather irrelevant but a pause on the SKY+ on the Alba shows him in line at worst - possibly even slightly behing the CH nearest Galbraith.

No surprise if this is the case, the linesman on that side spent all game squinting into the sun with his hand above his eyes and didn't even have the sense to put a cap on at halftime - there is no way he could have seen half of what was happening on the pitch clearly with the sun glaring into his face.

SneakersO'Toole
18-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Would have been an injustice to Hamilton if we had won that game.

truehibernian
18-09-2010, 05:59 PM
To be honest TQM, as much as I love Hibs winning games, that would have only papered over the widening cracks at Easter Road. In a preverse way I was kinda hoping Hamilton scored. Very very sad I know, but Hughes has to go. Plain and simple. His football (or "brand" of football) is chronic and although I am committed to going back, it will no doubt be to watch defeats and terrible football. Body language of the players was poor from kick off, and they were bullied and harrassed off the ball too easy. Never looked like they wanted the ball back quickly, had their backs to play most of the time, and needed so many touches it's really embarrassing at times to say they are professional. Is Edwin De Graffe actually a footballer, or is he like that impersonator that barges into Man Utd photos ? Is he really a wee roadsweeper from Restalrig who has mastered a Dutch accent and sent in a bogus CV and DVD ? Wotherspoon looks jaded and low, Riordan looked sulky, the new centre forward scared to shoot. Bamba and Dickoh were solid and looked composed. Hart looks unfit - in fact the whole side looked slow and unfit. Not so good being a Hibee at the moment :bitchy::boo hoo:

500miles
18-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Was there any part of him which could play the ball beyond the last defender?

IWasThere2016
18-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree re papering over the cracks etc - and with 80 mins up on Alba, we don't like we'd be worthy winners BUT it looks a poor call

500miles
18-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree re papering over the cracks etc - and with 80 mins up on Alba, we don't like we'd be worthy winners BUT it looks a poor call

People will call it "papering over the cracks" if they want to put a negative spin on it. Others would argue that it would give players, like Nish in this instance, the confidence to kick on. The best thing to motivate teams at times like this is to get that wee bit luck. I mean, you have this weeks chopped goal, Riordan cracking the cross bar as well as a couple of occassions where the ball fell nicely for the Hamilton boys today. Then last week you had a series of oppertunites, a missed penalty, and Wotherspoon who was unfortunate to find himself offside at the end.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Looked onside to me and I was in line with them, more or less, in the east. That call and deeks free kick, probably sums up our luck just now, but that said, we didn't deserve any more than a point.

truehibernian
18-09-2010, 06:45 PM
People will call it "papering over the cracks" if they want to put a negative spin on it. Others would argue that it would give players, like Nish in this instance, the confidence to kick on. The best thing to motivate teams at times like this is to get that wee bit luck. I mean, you have this weeks chopped goal, Riordan cracking the cross bar as well as a couple of occassions where the ball fell nicely for the Hamilton boys today. Then last week you had a series of oppertunites, a missed penalty, and Wotherspoon who was unfortunate to find himself offside at the end.

But 500miles, surely you can see the deficiencies in his management. Yes I 100% agree that a luck changes games and confidence levels. But De Graffe has played poorly for 5 games. DW likewise. Hughes has a stubborness that knows no bounds. He brought in De Graffe so it is as if he has to play him so he can do the old GIRUY if he scores/plays well. But how long will he let the lad go on having howlers and thus affecting the team and crowd. Do the midfielders on the bench not sit and scratch their heads and wonder "why is he still on the pitch". Wotherspoon has been in more positions than an amsterdam working girl this season already. Starting him on the left ???? WTF is that all about. Galbraith - comes on and does really well one week, lifts the crowd. On the bench the next. No wonder there is a reall apathy at East Mains and a lack of respect for him. I watch Currie, Welsh, Horner, Taggart, Handling and co, and they are no worse than what is on offer in that midfield just now. Will they get the chance - will they ****** as like. Hughes can't see past the end of his nose. We have three goalkeepers at our club earning top whack FFS. If we do not remove him now, we will be bottom six or i fear worse. I don't even want to contemplate the worst.

500miles
18-09-2010, 08:03 PM
But 500miles, surely you can see the deficiencies in his management. Yes I 100% agree that a luck changes games and confidence levels. But De Graffe has played poorly for 5 games. DW likewise. Hughes has a stubborness that knows no bounds. He brought in De Graffe so it is as if he has to play him so he can do the old GIRUY if he scores/plays well. But how long will he let the lad go on having howlers and thus affecting the team and crowd. Do the midfielders on the bench not sit and scratch their heads and wonder "why is he still on the pitch". Wotherspoon has been in more positions than an amsterdam working girl this season already. Starting him on the left ???? WTF is that all about. Galbraith - comes on and does really well one week, lifts the crowd. On the bench the next. No wonder there is a reall apathy at East Mains and a lack of respect for him. I watch Currie, Welsh, Horner, Taggart, Handling and co, and they are no worse than what is on offer in that midfield just now. Will they get the chance - will they ****** as like. Hughes can't see past the end of his nose. We have three goalkeepers at our club earning top whack FFS. If we do not remove him now, we will be bottom six or i fear worse. I don't even want to contemplate the worst.

De Graff has played 5 games poorly, but scored twice in Europe, had a good pedigree, and will have come with the understanding if he was to adapt to Scottish Football, it would take time. Therefore, would dropping him too quickly have been good management? Or would we be hearing "Ugh...we've not really given him a chance" from, more than likely, the experts who are currently slagging him off. There's a good player in DeGraff, he's played for too many decent teams for there not to be, and scored too many goals in Europe to be a poor player. There's an element of chance when it comes to how you think will adapt to a new league - that's football.

Galbraith comes in , played for over an hour, and done nothing today. Why? Because he is an impact sub - much like Sproule early on. He will need to be eased in. Before he came to Hibs, he had barely kicked a ball for two years - that's a massive chunk of his developement. Gow, Duffy, Cregg, Stokes, Scobbie, Barr.....all players who tell me Hughes isn't afraid of playing youngsters - but he wants them to be developed in a way that suits them. Let's not kid ourselves on, Hibs fans are terrible, Wotherspoon, a 20 year old laddie, was getting pelters from the fans today, from his first mis-touch, and even when he was getting subbed. The "Golden Generation" were, in a way, fortunate in that they had the criticism magnet that was Williamson, where all the pish and vitirol was attracted to him.

Yogi can shout and scream at the sidelines for the full 90 minutes - but the players know him, and they know that he'll be the first one to take them to the side and help them work on thier game, give them the arm around the shoulder if they need it, or the kick up the arse if they deserve it.

An I also watched a few u19s games when i got the chance. I saw some technically good players, but all when playing at an under 19s pace. Very few proper hatchet men, or intimidating players that young players struggle against. The most promising of those players are going out on loan to get them used to that sort of cynic, ex-SPL hammerthrowers, and old heads, to give them the tools they need to make the step up. Would you throw them to the wolves in front of the ER crowd, without testing them at level as competative as even the reserves? I wouldn't, and to make a habit of doing so would be poor management.

That said, our future is in youth, a few good professionals, and some quality old heads. However, the rewards of a good youth system take years to reap.
Here's some wel remembered fan "wisdom" on youth.....
Jay Shields - should replace Whittaker
Garry O'Connor - lazy, punt him
Lewis Stevenson - better than Thomson (encouraged by the visionary John Collins)
Steven Fletcher - Never a player

The list could go on if i dug it out, but I won't.

As for the goalkeeper situation, well he seems to have found good hands in Brown, and Smith and Stack will either fight it out for second best, or leave as they are out of contract at the end of the season.

We're playing a long term game here.

Hughes is a manger with his faults, of that there is no doubt. He does have a dependancy on certain players, if he would simply set the team up to grind out results, we would win more and i don't agree with McBride as captain for starters - no player who can't control his own temper should be placed in charge. However, I agree that football SHOULD be played in a certain way - and while I would have given in for the time being, and reverted to purposefully dour, difficult tactics, he obviously sees this as the time for experimentation with regards footballing tatics and philosophies. However, when the young players come back from loan, that's when things will need to get real for Hughes, because that's when we will get an idea of how far he can go with those players. Until then, it's all about giving new tactics a chance and different types of players and systems, without falling too far down the league. come Christmas.

Baldy Foghorn
18-09-2010, 08:10 PM
He looked onside to me, however if he had scored, people would be on here complaining that he never did six keepie uppies, before letting ball roll down his back, doing a swivel and back heeling it into the top corner.....:wink:

Big Frank
18-09-2010, 08:17 PM
He looked onside to me, however if he had scored, people would be on here complaining that he never did six keepie uppies, before letting ball roll down his back, doing a swivel and back heeling it into the top corner.....:wink:

joking aside, you fancy nish:agree:

:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
18-09-2010, 08:19 PM
joking aside, you fancy nish:agree:

:wink:

yeah my girlfriend is his doppleganger

Big Frank
18-09-2010, 08:20 PM
yeah my girlfriend is his doppleganger

any pics?

Baldy Foghorn
18-09-2010, 08:26 PM
any pics?

steady ya big perv, they are for my eyes only:wink:

Alex Trager
18-09-2010, 08:27 PM
De Graff has played 5 games poorly, but scored twice in Europe, had a good pedigree, and will have come with the understanding if he was to adapt to Scottish Football, it would take time. Therefore, would dropping him too quickly have been good management? Or would we be hearing "Ugh...we've not really given him a chance" from, more than likely, the experts who are currently slagging him off. There's a good player in DeGraff, he's played for too many decent teams for there not to be, and scored too many goals in Europe to be a poor player. There's an element of chance when it comes to how you think will adapt to a new league - that's football.

Galbraith comes in , played for over an hour, and done nothing today. Why? Because he is an impact sub - much like Sproule early on. He will need to be eased in. Before he came to Hibs, he had barely kicked a ball for two years - that's a massive chunk of his developement. Gow, Duffy, Cregg, Stokes, Scobbie, Barr.....all players who tell me Hughes isn't afraid of playing youngsters - but he wants them to be developed in a way that suits them. Let's not kid ourselves on, Hibs fans are terrible, Wotherspoon, a 20 year old laddie, was getting pelters from the fans today, from his first mis-touch, and even when he was getting subbed. The "Golden Generation" were, in a way, fortunate in that they had the criticism magnet that was Williamson, where all the pish and vitirol was attracted to him.

Yogi can shout and scream at the sidelines for the full 90 minutes - but the players know him, and they know that he'll be the first one to take them to the side and help them work on thier game, give them the arm around the shoulder if they need it, or the kick up the arse if they deserve it.

An I also watched a few u19s games when i got the chance. I saw some technically good players, but all when playing at an under 19s pace. Very few proper hatchet men, or intimidating players that young players struggle against. The most promising of those players are going out on loan to get them used to that sort of cynic, ex-SPL hammerthrowers, and old heads, to give them the tools they need to make the step up. Would you throw them to the wolves in front of the ER crowd, without testing them at level as competative as even the reserves? I wouldn't, and to make a habit of doing so would be poor management.

That said, our future is in youth, a few good professionals, and some quality old heads. However, the rewards of a good youth system take years to reap.
Here's some wel remembered fan "wisdom" on youth.....
Jay Shields - should replace Whittaker
Garry O'Connor - lazy, punt him
Lewis Stevenson - better than Thomson (encouraged by the visionary John Collins)
Steven Fletcher - Never a player

The list could go on if i dug it out, but I won't.

As for the goalkeeper situation, well he seems to have found good hands in Brown, and Smith and Stack will either fight it out for second best, or leave as they are out of contract at the end of the season.

We're playing a long term game here.

Hughes is a manger with his faults, of that there is no doubt. He does have a dependancy on certain players, if he would simply set the team up to grind out results, we would win more and i don't agree with McBride as captain for starters - no player who can't control his own temper should be placed in charge. However, I agree that football SHOULD be played in a certain way - and while I would have given in for the time being, and reverted to purposefully dour, difficult tactics, he obviously sees this as the time for experimentation with regards footballing tatics and philosophies. However, when the young players come back from loan, that's when things will need to get real for Hughes, because that's when we will get an idea of how far he can go with those players. Until then, it's all about giving new tactics a chance and different types of players and systems, without falling too far down the league. come Christmas.
Apart from the McBride comment your a hundred percent spot on,IMO

discman
18-09-2010, 08:30 PM

so you would have been disappointed if we had got 3 points? :confused:

SneakersO'Toole
18-09-2010, 08:36 PM
so you would have been disappointed if we had got 3 points? :confused:

Of course not.

But all this woulda, coulda, shoulda counts for nothing. No one is going to remember a goal that should have stood in 6months time.

Onside or offside, the fact is we didn't win the game.

I'd rather concentrate on finding out why we didn't win the game as opposed to feeling sorry about lady luck not smiling on us.

Like everything in life, you make your own luck. And currently we're not doing anywhere near enough to make that luck.

Hughes needs to start looking at why these things are happening instead of this ignorance to the facts.

carlos70
18-09-2010, 11:28 PM

Haven't seen it again, but it didn't look anything like offside to me. As previously stated, the linesman was shielding his eyes the whole time. As soon as a Hamilton defender appealed, up went the flag. There may have been a totally different reaction to Nish's substitution has it been allowed to stand, you're right though, there ain't no pleasin' some folk.....

Disc O'Dave
19-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Haven't seen it again, but it didn't look anything like offside to me. As previously stated, the linesman was shielding his eyes the whole time. As soon as a Hamilton defender appealed, up went the flag. There may have been a totally different reaction to Nish's substitution has it been allowed to stand, you're right though, there ain't no pleasin' some folk.....

In fact, did the two Hamilton players getting ready to take a kick-off from the centre-circle not have to boot the ball back? Seems like they thought the goal was ok.....

I thought he was in-line at best, and at the time, wasn't even convinced the ball had been played forward. I guess in hindsight it must have been, but I'll be watching the highlights with interest.

The saddest thing for me is that if it had been any other player who put that in, we would be onto page 4 or 5 on this thread, with the majority decrying the poor decision.

I can't help but feel that it suits the current witch-hunt mentaility that the goal was chalked off. We cant have the "worst Hibs player on the park" scoring the winner now can we? :greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
19-09-2010, 04:10 PM
In fact, did the two Hamilton players getting ready to take a kick-off from the centre-circle not have to boot the ball back? Seems like they thought the goal was ok.....

I thought he was in-line at best, and at the time, wasn't even convinced the ball had been played forward. I guess in hindsight it must have been, but I'll be watching the highlights with interest.

The saddest thing for me is that if it had been any other player who put that in, we would be onto page 4 or 5 on this thread, with the majority decrying the poor decision.

I can't help but feel that it suits the current witch-hunt mentaility that the goal was chalked off. We cant have the "worst Hibs player on the park" scoring the winner now can we? :greengrin

Czerny certainly thought the goal was good and kicked the ball up to the centre circle.

discman
19-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Of course not.

But all this woulda, coulda, shoulda counts for nothing. No one is going to remember a goal that should have stood in 6months time.

I'd rather concentrate on finding out why we didn't win the game as opposed to feeling sorry about lady luck not smiling on us.

Like everything in life, you make your own luck. And currently we're not doing anywhere near enough to make that luck.

Hughes needs to start looking at why these things are happening instead of this ignorance to the facts.

OK,firstly are you bev knight?

we didnt win the game cos the linesman made a mistake

we didnt last weeks game cos deeks missed a pen a degraff a sitter

and gary player use to say "the harder I work the luckier I become"

am guessing yogis worked that out,maybe some of the squad havent! :cool2:

discman
19-09-2010, 04:30 PM

and one other thing if we had we'd be on 9pts and 3rd, margins of error and all that

Tricla
19-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Of course not.

I've always thought this is a p*sh poor cliche.

I know some really poxy ********s who do sod all to make their own luck other than sitting waiting on the good luck to come along.

Next you'll be saying that the OF make their own luck and it's not down to dodgy, biased refs and the spineless machine that is the SPL. :confused:

Tricla
19-09-2010, 05:33 PM

:top marks

I hate going to ER just now and I come on here less and less due to having to share an affinity for my team with so many morons.

SneakersO'Toole
19-09-2010, 05:37 PM

We didn't win the game because we didn't deserve to. End of.

Inverness fans could say they didn't win last weeks game because Rooney missed a sitter at the end.

Hamilton fans could say they didn't win yesterdays game because their striker missed a 1-on-1.

SneakersO'Toole
19-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I've always thought this is a p*sh poor cliche.

I know some really poxy ********s who do sod all to make their own luck other than sitting waiting on the good luck to come along.

Next you'll be saying that the OF make their own luck and it's not down to dodgy, biased refs and the spineless machine that is the SPL. :confused:

Depends what you believe in. I believe you get what you put in.

Hibs have put in atrocious performances for months now, hence the atrocious performances.

The reason behind these performances is the manager. No question.

discman
19-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Depends what you believe in. I believe you get what you put in.

Hibs have put in atrocious performances for months now, hence the atrocious performances.

The reason behind these performances is the manager. No question.

so how come we qualified for europe? :cool2:

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2010, 05:48 PM
so how come we qualified for europe? :cool2:

Are you John Hughes?:confused:

Judas Iscariot
19-09-2010, 05:52 PM

Not at all IMO..

Just watched the game back and we had PLENTY chances!

Riordans freekick, Millers absolute sitter header of a open goal, Nish's "goal", Riordan had 2 chances, shot from 18 yards which he'd normally bury and the left footed half volley, which half a yard either side bursts the net!

If Deeks freekick or penalty went in last week and his freekick yesterday would we be 4 points further up the table?!

I think we would be!

That still doesn't get away from the fact that we've been ***** and the last 3 opponents are bottom 6 sides which we SHOULD be beating..

discman
19-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Are you John Hughes?:confused:

eh? no, but as I said before I agree were not playing well,however with a bit of luck we would be 3rd plus duffy breaking his foot we've had no rub of the green,so again I am not JH but do want him to be given more time :cool2:

discman
19-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Not at all IMO..

Riordans freekick, Millers absolute sitter header of a open goal, Nish's "goal", Riordan had 2 chances, shot from 18 yards which he'd normally bury and the left footed half volley, which half a yard either side bursts the net!

If Deeks freekick or penalty went in last week and his freekick yesterday would we be 4 points further up the table?!

I think we would be!

That still doesn't get away from the fact that we've been ***** and the last 3 opponents are bottom 6 sides which we SHOULD be beating..

agree with everything you have said which is why I still want yogi as manager :cool2:

SneakersO'Toole
19-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Not at all IMO..

I think we would be!

If you honestly believe that Hibs deserved to win yesterdays match then you were at a different game from me.

SneakersO'Toole
19-09-2010, 06:40 PM
eh? no, but as I said before I agree were not playing well,however with a bit of luck we would be 3rd plus duffy breaking his foot we've had no rub of the green,so again I am not JH but do want him to be given more time :cool2:

I bet both Inverness and Hamilton are both saying with any luck they could have left ER with maximum points. If Rooney had taken that chance last week and Hamilton's guy had buried that chance yesterday then we could be lying bottom of the league right now.

Tricla
19-09-2010, 07:08 PM
If you honestly believe that Hibs deserved to win yesterdays match then you were at a different game from me.

I wasn't at the match yesterday sadly but just watching the BBC highlights proves that we deserved to win the match more than Accies as we had more chances, hit the woodwork and had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Unless for some reason the BBC have decided to edit out all the Accies chances which I severely doubt. If this were any other team then the general concencus would be that we deserved to shade things on the balance of play but it's not, it's Hibs and we're Hibs fans who for some reason have forgotten how to support our team which IMHO is something they really need right now.

The negativity surrounding ER just now is really bad and this will only change wholly if things improve on the park which I accept, but this will take time.

In the meantime maybe we could be a touch more positive and actually get behind the team which means that it shouldn't take as long as it looks as if it will just now.

Wouldn't hurt or do any harm. :dunno:

I'm still right behind Yogi and the team while the current regime remains and so should of the rest of us be, IMO of course.

Judas Iscariot
19-09-2010, 07:14 PM

I wasn't at the match yesterday sadly but just watching the BBC highlights proves that we deserved to win the match more than Accies as we had more chances, hit the woodwork and had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Unless for some reason the BBC have decided to edit out all the Accies chances which I severely doubt. If this were any other team then the general concencus would be that we deserved to shade things on the balance of play but it's not, it's Hibs and we're Hibs fans who for some reason have forgotten how to support our team which IMHO is something they really need right now.

The negativity surrounding ER just now is really bad and this will only change wholly if things improve on the park which I accept, but this will take time.

In the meantime maybe we could be a touch more positive and actually get behind the team which means that it shouldn't take as long as it looks as if it will just now.

Wouldn't hurt or do any harm. :dunno:

I'm still right behind Yogi and the team while the current regime remains and so should of the rest of us be, IMO of course.

This.

BEEJ
19-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I wasn't at the match yesterday sadly but just watching the BBC highlights proves that we deserved to win the match more than Accies as we had more chances, hit the woodwork and had a perfectly good goal disallowed.
Proves?! :confused: Since when did 5 minutes of edited highlights prove anything?

Maybe you think that the match stats are equally indicative of Hibs dominance? Here they are from the BBC website:

Possession 48% : 52%
Shots on target 3 : 3
Shots off target 5 : 3
Corners 5 : 9

And how much longer are you prepared to risk it? What outcome to this season would you be prepared to tolerate provided it meant that Yogi was still in charge come next June?

Tricla
19-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Proves?! :confused: Since when did 5 minutes of edited highlights prove anything?

Maybe you think that the match stats are equally indicative of Hibs dominance? Here they are from the BBC website:

Possession 48% : 52%
Shots on target 3 : 3
Shots off target 5 : 3
Corners 5 : 9

And how much longer are you prepared to risk it? What outcome to this season would you be prepared to tolerate provided it meant that Yogi was still in charge come next June?

The BBC generally show the bits worth showing unless the OF are playing then it's all them that's shown. If Accies had had more chances worth airing the BBC would have shown them.
We still had the better chances and were more worthy of the win over all even though we didn't play all that well. I have friends that were there who agree.

In terms of time, we need to be realistic and remember that we have a few new players and one significant exit so things will take time to bed in. IMHO, if Yogi hasn't managed to turn things around by the end if this season then he should be emptied. I'm not for emptying him until we see if 'his' team can come good.

All I ask is that we put our dummies back in our gobs and do all we can to help by SUPPORTING the team.

Moulin Yarns
20-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Just watched the BBC highlights online, and if Nish was offside so was Paixio when he scored IMHO

el capitano
20-09-2010, 09:08 AM

hamilton have done well to come away with a point in my opinion, they got a lucky break for there goal and it affected us. how badly we could do with a wee bit good luck just now, the confidence has gone thru the whole team and we the fans are not helping.

we had the better chances, the goal was wrongly flagged offside,which is typical of the way our luck is going just now.