PDA

View Full Version : Not as good as we think or not as good as we should be?

Mad Ferret
18-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Not as good as we actually should be?

We have players such as Liam Miller & Derek Riordan who would walk into most other SPL teams.
Kevin McBride is a decent player and worker.
A crop of youngsters such as Hanlon, Galbraith, Wiotherspoon with others in the wings.
Experienced campaigners from abroad such as De Graaf and Dickoh and not forgetting big Sol.
We now have a reasonably reliable looking pair of full backs in Grounds & Hart and a more solid looking keeper than we have had in many years in Mark Brown.

So WHY are we not as good as we think? In my opinion we are not as good as we should be! We should be achieving much more than we are.

The reason in my view is that we have a manager who doesn't actually know what he wants from his players or isn't sure what they are capable of. He stands on the touchline getting apoplectic about nothing half the time instead of offering some encouragement and guidance.

So for me, the issue is that in reality we are performing way below the level we should be with the quality of players we now have. What is missing is someone to bring those qualities together as a team. Someone who inspires, is a leader and has even half a clue about how to get a response out of the players.

Hughes I'm afraid is clearly NOT that man.

Hibby Bairn
18-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Totally agree. I am so pissed off right now. Today was really awful. Like being back in the Blobby days or dare I say it the Duffy days. Really crap.

Phil MaGlass
18-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Couldnt agree more. Instead of smartar5e comments on the radio he should be picking up his P45(thats if you still have that system)

SneakersO'Toole
18-09-2010, 05:24 PM

We have players such as Liam Miller & Derek Riordan who would walk into most other SPL teams.
A crop of youngsters such as Hanlon, Galbraith, Wiotherspoon with others in the wings.
Experienced campaigners from abroad such as De Graaf and Dickoh and not forgetting big Sol.
We now have a reasonably reliable looking pair of full backs in Grounds & Hart and a more solid looking keeper than we have had in many years in Mark Brown.

So WHY are we not as good as we think? In my opinion we are not as good as we should be! We should be achieving much more than we are.

The reason in my view is that we have a manager who doesn't actually know what he wants from his players or isn't sure what they are capable of. He stands on the touchline getting apoplectic about nothing half the time instead of offering some encouragement and guidance.

So for me, the issue is that in reality we are performing way below the level we should be with the quality of players we now have. What is missing is someone to bring those qualities together as a team. Someone who inspires, is a leader and has even half a clue about how to get a response out of the players.

Nail on head.

In a dismal league like the SPL, having a good proven manager is everything.

We don't. Hence why we are in the position we currently are.

We have a decent squad. But a manager that can't get the best out of the players.

Add to that puzzling formations and terrible in-game tactics and its clear as day why we are so poor IMO.

BSEJVT
18-09-2010, 05:26 PM
If we are not as good as we think we are then we are in real trouble as I think we are absolutely terrible.

SneakersO'Toole
18-09-2010, 05:30 PM
If we are not as good as we think we are then we are in real trouble as I think we are absolutely terrible.

Because of the management though as opposed to the quality of the squad.

scotty1875
18-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Because of the management though as opposed to the quality of the squad.

Yep :agree:

The squad is rudderless with Hughes at the helm but I think they have the potential to secure a Uefa place if we had a decent experienced manager.

hiblander
18-09-2010, 05:35 PM

I too think that Hibs are crap but i think it is just a reflection of Scottish football...I think that taking a year out of being a supporter is only a good thing....you can start to see patterns trend...

Hughes will be here till the end of season....too many twat hibs fans still talking **** about where they 'see' the club... those people make me feel ashamed of supporting the club.

GloriousHibs
18-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Players dont look fit, second to every ball, laboured passing, constant interceptions of the easy pass, no invention.

Would take Haisselbaink in a heartbeat, held ball up really well, strong going forward, desperate to take on players.

We need some real dig in midfield, stick Sol in the middle and give Stephens a bash with Dickoh. When Ian Murray's fit get De Graaf on the bench.

TornadoHibby
18-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Nail on head.

In a dismal league like the SPL, having a good proven manager is everything.

We don't. Hence why we are in the position we currently are.

We have a decent squad. But a manager that can't get the best out of the players.

Add to that puzzling formations and terrible in-game tactics and its clear as day why we are so poor IMO.

Wot she said! :top marks

woody47
18-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Heard this on the way back home.
Who the ferk does Yogi think he is tallking about the fans like that.:grr:
He is the one that has been telling us about how good his "boys" are.
Should we not believe, because we actually have a few internationals playing in the side, that we ARE good enough........especially in the SPL.
Sorry but never wanted Yogi as a manager and that hasn't changed.
There is nothing I can see that gives me hope whilst he is at the helm. Absolutely clueless when it comes to tactics and WTF do they actually do on this 'great training ground'. We look so unfit it's unreal. Do they just sit playing XBOX games all day?
The sooner we actually spend a bit of real money on a seasoned manager, and not some cheap alternative, the better.
What is the point of having one of th ebest stadiums in Scotland, one of the best training grounds in UK, some excellent players but to have a clueless manager?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2010, 06:35 PM
That was not the cleverest of things to say TBH and JH maybe reflecting on that just now. To me it was like a flippant throwaway comment that someone that is absolutely sure of his position can afford to say. In terms of finance and budgets etc, I am not sure how it all works, I could well just be spraffing, but I can't join the dots just now. Hughes tells the board that his plans will take time, that we are no better than St Mirren and Hamilton. So, on hearing that and agreeing to it, the board then go and say, we will increase the stadium capacity by 5,000 seats? Makes no sense. Why not close the east, and use the rest of the ground as is. Would have done today and if this form continues it will be more than enough in the future.

banchoryhibs
18-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Yogi said that if the fans know their football the answer is staring them in the face............................. given the obvious talent in the squad the answer is to have a manager that can ensure that everyone plays to their strengths in a formation that works......................... is that you Yogi?

I have my doubts:hmmm:

BEEJ
18-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I am not sure how it all works, I could well just be spraffing, but I can't join the dots just now. Hughes tells the board that his plans will take time, that we are no better than St Mirren and Hamilton.
I'm afraid that's the PR of a man fighting for survival.

You can't keep blaming for ever the quality of the players at your disposal when other teams with budgets a fraction of yours turn up at ER and look much more likely to secure all three points.

But in his own mind, if he keeps talking about 'shuffling the pack' and 'I'm still two years away from where I want to be' then he's trying to delay the inevitable. We're in the land of the never-never here.

He hasn't got it and he has to go.

(((Fergus)))
18-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Yogi said that if the fans know their football the answer is staring them in the face............................. given the obvious talent in the squad the answer is to have a manager that can ensure that everyone plays to their strengths in a formation that works......................... is that you Yogi?

I have my doubts:hmmm:

too bloody right it is

lyonhibs
18-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Because the manager is not as good as he thinks he is, and not nearly as good as the manager of Hibernian Football Club should be.

It's really that simple IMHO.

At The Edge
18-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm afraid that's the PR of a man fighting for survival.

You can't keep blaming for ever the quality of the players at your disposal when other teams with budgets a fraction of yours turn up at ER and look much more likely to secure all three points.

But in his own mind, if he keeps talking about 'shuffling the pack' and 'I'm still two years away from where I want to be' then he's trying to delay the inevitable. We're in the land of the never-never here.

He hasn't got it and he has to go.

Got it sussed, he wants us to be in Div1 and playing in the Alba cup so he can win it, and say to any reporters who question him about winless streaks, 'i'm the first Hibs manager to win this cup' and then tell the fans that we have over achieved by doing this.:faf: