PDA

View Full Version : Hibs reserve team in the SFL?

Ozyhibby
18-09-2010, 07:22 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/17/spl-restructure-old-firm-reserve-teams

Any thoughts?

Barney McGrew
18-09-2010, 07:27 AM
It works very well in Spain already.

It would be a great idea and hopefully bridge the gap between U19s and the full team.

WindyMiller
18-09-2010, 07:59 AM
More here

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/in-spain-and-germany-clubs-second-teams-are-part-of-pyramid-systems-1.1055714

It sounds a very good idea, IMO.

The_Todd
18-09-2010, 08:08 AM
In the absence of a real reserve league, it sounds like a good idea. But what happen if, for example, Hibs Reserves "win" the third division? Who gets promoted?

It kinda takes away from the third division a little.

However, I loved this quote frorm the article:

A newly formed third division would be supplemented by reserve or "B" teams from Scotland's largest clubs, although other teams such as Aberdeen could seek involvement

If I was a sheepie I'd be raging at that!

Franck is God
18-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Something has to be done, I think the lack of a reserve league has had a dreadful affect on us last and this season.

Players need to play games to keep sharp and be ready to step in if they are not first choice, thats what the reserve league was for and to get rid of it was a huge mistake.

I like the idea of our second team playing in a lower division as they do in Spain & Germany, competitive football every week for nearly every squad player can only be a good thing for Hibs IMO.

mim
18-09-2010, 09:44 AM
This is a good idea. The current situation is farcical, with clubs having to arrange bounce games every week to keep the playing staff ticking over.

The 14 team league was my suggestion when we debated change on here. I don't remember many, if any, agreeing with me.

I presume it would work as I suggested at the time, with 26 matches before the split and 12 after the split. 38 games, always 19 at home and always equal home and away games against each opponent, whether playing them twice or four times.

A big improvement on the current shambles.

Edited: to better explain the structure.

CmoantheHibs
18-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Its an interesting idea though it throws up a lot of questions.Not sure it would be a good thing having each OF with 2 teams in the top flight(reckon they would both progress very quickly through our leagues).They already have too much power and surely this would only add to their control and financial dominance.

Diclonius
18-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Reserve teams usually can't get promoted beyond a certain point. If they win a division, then the second placed team goes up instead.

Antifa Hibs
18-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Can only be a good thing IMO.

Would give 3rd division clubs a no bad wee income boost aswell. I'd imagine Stranraer v Rangers 'B' would attract a few punters, same as Queens Park v Celtic 'B' etc etc.

Works well in Spain, Germany.

.Sean.
18-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Why can't the reserve league simply be reserected(sp)?

Weekly bounce games are a total farce.

James.
18-09-2010, 10:39 AM

I think a lot of teams like Kilmarnock, Dundee United can't afford the costs to run additional teams at the moment.

I think B teams would be great, I'd imagine this would result in extra revenue for the club as a fair few fans would surely want to attend the derby and OF matches even if it was just B squads!

MyJo
18-09-2010, 10:39 AM
It would be an excellent idea but just one part of a league restructure that is badly needed in Scotland, If it were up to me i'd have 2 top leagues of 16 teams, the SPL & a Scottish Championship and then regionalised leagues below that with a pyramid system that included juniors & B-teams.

whiskyhibby
18-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Great idea IMHO...............:smokin

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2010, 10:50 AM

That is what I would do. I would make it a stipulation of SPL membership that a reserve team is fielded. Makes more football sense that the stadium criteria that is meant to be met.

jonny
18-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Reserve teams usually can't get promoted beyond a certain point. If they win a division, then the second placed team goes up instead.

:agree::agree:
I'm sure this is how it works in Spain - don't know about any other countries.
IMO Rangers and Celtic reserves would probably be 1st and 2nd nearly every season with Hibs and Hearts not far behind. In effect it might be the teams that finish 5th and 6th that are promoted. Perhaps detracts a bit from being league champions and promoted but I'd be all for this idea.

At the moment there are 42 clubs in the Scottish league. 4 Reserve teams entering would leave 2 Leagues of 14 and a lower division of 18.

It all seems far too sensible to me....

The_Todd
18-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Where do you think home games would be played?
East Mains?

Is East Mains set up to allow spectators? If we were in a competitive league, fans would need to be accomodated.

Meadowbank, perhaps? Share it with Hertz reserves?

Calvin
18-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Great idea, and good to see a governing body being reasonably proactive for once!

bingo70
18-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Great idea, and good to see a governing body being reasonably proactive for once!

As much as i agree with you i'll believe it when i see it.

MSK
18-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Is East Mains set up to allow spectators? If we were in a competitive league, fans would need to be accomodated.

Meadowbank, perhaps? Share it with Hertz reserves?We would have to pay for that ..we have perfect facilities at East Mains and with a bit of outlay im sure we would play games there ...we would also be charging for admission so income would eventually pay for any work that needs done.

The_Todd
18-09-2010, 12:47 PM
We would have to pay for that ..we have perfect facilities at East Mains and with a bit of outlay im sure we would play games there ...we would also be charging for admission so income would eventually pay for any work that needs done.

Fair point. I've never been to East Mains, so I'm not sure what the setup is, or how do-able it would be.

MSK
18-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Fair point. I've never been to East Mains, so I'm not sure what the setup is, or how do-able it would be.If it ever happens then im sure there would be certain criteria to be met..obviously toilet and catering facilities along with stewarding would be issues, im not sure about covered or seating arrangements either and if they were requirements then i would doubt if hibs would go as far as building those....esp with Petrie at the helm...:greengrin

From a personal point i would prefer to play at EM as opposed to junior grounds or that ramshackle Meadowbank...:agree:

ginger_rice
18-09-2010, 01:22 PM
It would be an excellent idea but just one part of a league restructure that is badly needed in Scotland, If it were up to me i'd have 2 top leagues of 16 teams, the SPL & a Scottish Championship and then regionalised leagues below that with a pyramid system that included juniors & B-teams.

But will it be far too sensible for the Blazers to agree to?

ScottB
18-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Would it not make sense for Hibs, the Old Firm and anyone else interested to instead of setting up new B clubs takeover failing clubs in the lower leagues that are already there? We have too many clubs as it is afterall!

MSK
18-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Would it not make sense for Hibs, the Old Firm and anyone else interested to instead of setting up new B clubs takeover failing clubs in the lower leagues that are already there? We have too many clubs as it is afterall!Thats a bit unfair no ..?...those clubs that may be struggling are the heart & sole of communities, ok many of those communities have been swallowed up by the old firm disease but they still have loyal supporters no matter how small a club they are ..they deserve to be in the leagues as much as any other club ..

We all know the feeling when we were almost put out of business ..

Glasgow Hibee
18-09-2010, 01:41 PM
As much as i agree with you i'll believe it when i see it.

Less of the pessimism Bingo. I imagine the SFL and SPL (maybe the SFA) will all sit down and thrash out what seems to be great idea and we'll have it in place for the 2030/31 season no problem.......:wink:

ScottB
18-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Thats a bit unfair no ..?...those clubs that may be struggling are the heart & sole of communities, ok many of those communities have been swallowed up by the old firm disease but they still have loyal supporters no matter how small a club they are ..they deserve to be in the leagues as much as any other club ..

We all know the feeling when we were almost put out of business ..

Not so much taking them over and renaming them, they can keep their own names but sign deals with other clubs, so effectively functioning as Hibs B or whatever. So for example, Rangers buy into Clyde, keeps Clyde going and gives Rangers a B team.

As the articles point out, these clubs don't attract many fans in Germany, but this way you'd have original clubs fans + some supporters of the SPL side rocking up to see their sides young and reserve players.

Seems a more sustainable option for Scottish football as a whole.

MSK
18-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Not so much taking them over and renaming them, they can keep their own names but sign deals with other clubs, so effectively functioning as Hibs B or whatever. So for example, Rangers buy into Clyde, keeps Clyde going and gives Rangers a B team.

As the articles point out, these clubs don't attract many fans in Germany, but this way you'd have original clubs fans + some supporters of the SPL side rocking up to see their sides young and reserve players.

Seems a more sustainable option for Scottish football as a whole.I think the whole problem is that Scottish clubs are skint hence the reason for the dissolving of the reserve leagues.Teams such as the old firm, hibs and hearts can afford to run reserve teams but others cant, to then pump more money into smaller clubs would be a no-no ..

The restructuring will benefit us as it gives us a weekly timetable so we can plan ahead as opposed to travelling the country playing friendlies or bounce games. I would also assume it will be designed to assist the smaller teams in the league and perhaps a regional division to cut out on travelling and travelling costs.

Its all ifs and buts though Scott and the big if will be if it ever gets off the ground...guaranteed there will be a few spanners fired into the works ...:agree:

Houchy
18-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I wouldnae even fancy our 1st teams chances in the SFL!!!

Long suffering
18-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm sure this is how it works in Spain - don't know about any other countries.
IMO Rangers and Celtic reserves would probably be 1st and 2nd nearly every season with Hibs and Hearts not far behind. In effect it might be the teams that finish 5th and 6th that are promoted. Perhaps detracts a bit from being league champions and promoted but I'd be all for this idea.

At the moment there are 42 clubs in the Scottish league. 4 Reserve teams entering would leave 2 Leagues of 14 and a lower division of 18.

It all seems far too sensible to me....
the thing is you would have thought that spain and germany would face similar problems but as far as i kno barca b or real b dont win the 3rd division regularly, i think that perhaps in these countries the 'b' teams are perhaps mainly made up of youngsters in the firt team squads ans u19s

DH1875
18-09-2010, 11:59 PM
**** me, the way things are going the first team isn't even good enough.