PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame - Why No Canon Hannan?

RickyS
17-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Looking through the nominee's for the Hall of Fame and whilst there are some very worthy names, I could not help but notice our founder is missing. Am I missing something? am I the only one who thinks the man deserves a place?

degenerated
17-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Looking through the nominee's for the Hall of Fame and whilst there are some very worthy names, I could not help but notice our founder is missing. Am I missing something? am I the only one who thinks the man deserves a place?

there's a couple of schools of thought on whether or not he was actually the founder, the church records apparently don't show any mention of Cannon Hannan referencing the club until after it was established and i am also led to believe he is reputed to have asked who these me calling themselves Hibernian were.

Oregonhibby would be the best person to add some clarity to this given the research he has done for the historical trust.

RickyS
17-09-2010, 12:50 PM
there's a couple of schools of thought on whether or not he was actually the founder, the church records apparently don't show any mention of Cannon Hannan referencing the club until after it was established and i am also led to believe he is reputed to have asked who these me calling themselves Hibernian were.

Oregonhibby would be the best person to add some clarity to this given the research he has done for the historical trust.

thanks for that mate, however on the St Patricks Church website they say this:-
St Patrick's - Home of the Hibs
Hibernian football club owes its existence to Canon Edward Hannan, who, in 1869, founded a branch of the Catholic Young Men's Society (CYMS) as a focus for and support for young Irish immigrants.

As a result of the activities of the CYMS, and responding to a request by a young member, Michael Whelahan, Fr Hannon decided to establish a football team. He hoped that this would help to integrate the Catholic community of the South Side into the wider Edinburgh community.

Speedway
17-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Because he's a proddy.

banarc7062
17-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Because he's a proddy.

And what does that have to do with the price of bread ????:grr::confused:

Speedway
17-09-2010, 12:56 PM

It has nothing to do with any form of economics as far as I'm aware.

Vini1875
17-09-2010, 01:50 PM

A proddy priest? The next thing you know we'll find out he was really English.

Back to the point. I haven't looked at the nominees but I kind of thought this sort of thing was for players rather than anyone connected to the club. If it was for anyone then obviously Cannon Hannon and Micheal Whelehan should be the first names on the list.

The_Todd
17-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I heard he got boo'd off the park.

JeMeSouviens
17-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I haven't looked at the nominees but I kind of thought this sort of thing was for players rather than anyone connected to the club.

There's 2 categories, players (including Whelahan) and "services to Hibernian" which is just Harry Swann and Tom Farmer.

(wot no tache? :confused::wink:)

Vini1875
17-09-2010, 04:19 PM
There's 2 categories, players (including Whelahan) and "services to Hibernian" which is just Harry Swann and Tom Farmer.

(wot no tache? :confused::wink:)

In the services to Hibernian I would say Cannon Hannon ought to be there.

On a side note Peter Lawell might get a mention for spending £4.4M on Scott Brown. :wink:

RickyS
17-09-2010, 04:58 PM
In the services to Hibernian I would say Cannon Hannon ought to be there.

On a side note Peter Lawell might get a mention for spending £4.4M on Scott Brown. :wink:

without a doubt mate, a bit of a kick in the teeth for his family.

sahib
18-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Ah, the Cannon. It was his thunderous shots from 25 yards that earned him the soubriquet.