PDA

View Full Version : Lothianburn Golf Cub

H18sry
17-09-2010, 07:48 AM
£19 instead of £48 for a full day golf pass and a light lunch at the historic Lothianburn Golf Course - Save 60% http://www.groupon.co.uk/in/.qrQetP/,83207?nlp get the crampons ready :wink:

Sylar
17-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Not a bad offer at all.

Quite a short course from memory?

7Hero
17-09-2010, 08:05 AM
surprised they can even get money for it its a nightmare of a course to play

Golden Bear
17-09-2010, 08:54 AM
It's not my favourite course but good luck to them as I've heard that they're struggling a wee bit on the financial front.

Godsahibby
17-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Was a member there in the past, really are some shocking holes but some great ones mixed in.

They are struggling big time, with Swanston being revamped they took a lot of the existing members.

Wrong time of year for the offer, maybe over the summer its a good deal when the course is looking its best with views over the city but £19 for a cold wet and windy afternoon on the side of the pentlands isnt the most tempting!

greenlex
17-09-2010, 09:53 PM
American Student played their open and described it as a goat track.
I have not had the pleasure but ti be honest although it ain't on my bucket list I would like to play it one day.

sg7nil
18-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Was a member there for a few years. Condition of the course and the greens in particular is second to none in the lothians. There are a couple of tricky holes where a bit if local knowledge is definitely an advantage.

Houchy
18-09-2010, 10:43 AM
While there are some nice holes, it has to be said that the 18th is definately my favourite.:greengrin

While that is a good deal, it has to be said that I'd rather spend the cash on a few pints in the clubhouse or down the range than play that course again.

Every time i've played it it's been wet and cold.:boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
20-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Was a member there for a few years. Condition of the course and the greens in particular is second to none in the lothians. There are a couple of tricky holes where a bit if local knowledge is definitely an advantage.

Member there at the moment and the course is still in great condition. The greens are, as always, superb.

Anyone who criticises the condition of the course has no idea what they are talking aout IMO.

A short course by todays standards but some great holes thrown in, admittedly there are a couple of dodgy ones. I play of a handicap of 2 and still find it a challenge, especially when the wind gets up. I think a lot of the bad rep it gets comes from the, false, belief that it is exceptionally hilly.

It's certainly better than the revamped Swnaston Course that i played last week for the first time. The greens are good but the fairways haven't bedded in at all and there were a few times i was hitting stones just under the turf with my irons. Very disappointed with it and i believe as a golf course it is losing serious money and is being held up by bar and meal sales at the tarted up clubhouse.

IWasThere2016
29-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Same offer now on at Prestonfield:

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/edinburgh/prestonfield/46384

James Connolly
29-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Member there at the moment and the course is still in great condition. The greens are, as always, superb.

Anyone who criticises the condition of the course has no idea what they are talking aout IMO.

A short course by todays standards but some great holes thrown in, admittedly there are a couple of dodgy ones. I play of a handicap of 2 and still find it a challenge, especially when the wind gets up. I think a lot of the bad rep it gets comes from the, false, belief that it is exceptionally hilly.

It's certainly better than the revamped Swnaston Course that i played last week for the first time. The greens are good but the fairways haven't bedded in at all and there were a few times i was hitting stones just under the turf with my irons. Very disappointed with it and i believe as a golf course it is losing serious money and is being held up by bar and meal sales at the tarted up clubhouse.

Re Swanston; I take it you're talking about the last 6 holes? As they are the only new fairways on the course; they will take a couple more years to bed in admittedly. As far as losing money as a golf course is concerned; Swanston's membership has risen from 250ish to nearly 1000 in the past 3 to 4 years; not bad considering the vast majority of clubs in the area are losing members hand over fist!

Pretty Boy
30-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Re Swanston; I take it you're talking about the last 6 holes? As they are the only new fairways on the course; they will take a couple more years to bed in admittedly. As far as losing money as a golf course is concerned; Swanston's membership has risen from 250ish to nearly 1000 in the past 3 to 4 years; not bad considering the vast majority of clubs in the area are losing members hand over fist!

Yes was meaning the last 6 holes, they will be very good holes when they bed in but for now they are tough to play on, my new irons did not enjoy rattling against stones.

The whole losing money issue was something i heard from a mate whos a member at Swanston, i know the memership increased so he could well be talking nonsense. I was very much in favour of the plan that was put forward 3 or 4 years back to house Lothianburn and Swanston in a single clubhouse and modify the courses accordingly. However there was the inevitable suspiscion from members of both clubs, particularly the seniors, that eventually led to the captain at Lothianburn being ousted. The plan would still have allowed both clubs to maintain an identity, have their own competitions, medals etc etc but cut running costs for each by a decent margin, obviously it wasn't to be.

BroxburnHibee
30-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Swanston got a lot of new members through a cut price membership deal they did when renovating the clubhouse and course.

My brother's a member there and he says the members expect the fees to go up sharply.

They've already closed the gym they had put in as the members were not using it.

Didn't a lot of Lothianburn members move to Turnhouse? Think it happened season before I joined a couple of years ago.

Pretty Boy
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Swanston got a lot of new members through a cut price membership deal they did when renovating the clubhouse and course.

My brother's a member there and he says the members expect the fees to go up sharply.

They've already closed the gym they had put in as the members were not using it.

Didn't a lot of Lothianburn members move to Turnhouse? Think it happened season before I joined a couple of years ago.

Turnhouse, Merchants and Craigmillar Park have all taken a few members from Lothianburn in years gone by. The membership has dropped quite sharply in recent years but seems to have stabilised the last year or so. With the rumours about the financial state of Torphin refusing to go away it could be a case of Lothianburn and Swanston seeing a decent increase in numbers in the not too distant future.

BroxburnHibee
01-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Used to be a member at Torphin many moons ago...........

Be sad to see them go down the swanny.

Removed
01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I was a junior member there and my dad was on the council. What's their problem - not enough members and cash flow?