PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Scottish Cup Semi-Final

Broken Gnome
16-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Scottish FA Cup Semifinal
Hibernian 2 (2) - 1 (1) Aberdeen

on 11-04-1979

Attendance: 9387

Where was that played? Why only 9000 there?

JimBHibees
16-09-2010, 05:00 PM

on 11-04-1979

It was a midweek game at Hampden pretty sure Gordon Rae scored the winner. Not sure if it was a replay or not, dont think it was. All fans were in the Rangers end from what I remember. Great result bizarre having so few fans in such a massive stadium.

Hiber-nation
16-09-2010, 05:06 PM
It was a midweek game at Hampden pretty sure Gordon Rae scored the winner. Not sure if it was a replay or not, dont think it was. All fans were in the Rangers end from what I remember. Great result bizarre having so few fans in such a massive stadium.

Yep at Hampden, not a replay.

We were expecting to lose, Aberdeen were a better team than us. Crowds at ER were as low as 3,500 that season due to our gradual decline in the 70s. We finished 5th in the league that season but that was seen as a total failure.

And it was pishing rain.

fat freddy
i was at that game...gordon rae scored,cant remember who scored our other goal though....the game was at hampden and they put both sets of fans in the rangers end...the crowd was poor but it might have been because it was a miserable midweek night and it was raining...cant remember to be honest...i thought the crowd was 9000....the final was mental though,well the three finals were...i went to them all and if the violence after the first match was shocking,really the worst i've ever seen...the second match was a nightmare too and by the time the third match came along this 15 year old laddie wasn't too bothered about arthur duncan putting the ball in his own net as it meant we could return to edinburgh with our bus wiondows intact...the following years final showed the huns up for what they were but i dont think the violence on the pitch that day came anywhere close to what we put up with on aitkenhead rd in may 79.

kaimendhibs
I was at the game. Hibs and sheep fans both in the old rangers end, separated by a big fence iirc. There were objects being flung back and forth over it in clashes. Aberdeen went ahead, i THINK colin campbell equalised but cant remember who scored the winner. Remember cacking myself when they brought on Ian Scanlon as a sub, he was running riot but we held on. Was defo midweek.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2010, 05:20 PM

on 11-04-1979

I was there in the old wooden South Stand. Got to the final v Rangers which went to 3 games!!!!

New Corrie
16-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I was one of the 9000 or so that was there, remember the pissing rain and the huge empty stadium, very odd set up with everyone in the Rangers end. Pretty sure we also played Aberdeen in a midweek league cup semi at Dens which we lost in extra time, I remember there being a decent crowd at that one. Was that the same season?:confused:

IWasThere2016
16-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I was one of the 9000 or so that was there, remember the pissing rain and the huge empty stadium, very odd set up with everyone in the Rangers end. Pretty sure we also played Aberdeen in a midweek league cup semi at Dens which we lost in extra time, I remember there being a decent crowd at that one. Was that the same season?:confused:

Same season - 13 Dec 1978 - (http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/lc/1978-79.html) we lost to a sklaffed cross fae Stewart McKimmie which Mike McDonald let slip under the bar!! :grr: Remember it well - ma auld boy took us into the Sheep end!!!

Broken Gnome
16-09-2010, 05:47 PM

Aberdeen 1 (0) - 0 (0)
(AET) Hibernian

on 13-12-1978

Attendance: 21048

IWasThere2016
16-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Aberdeen 1 (0) - 0 (0)
(AET) Hibernian

on 13-12-1978

Attendance: 21048

It was mobbed that night :agree:

Hibby K
16-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Scottish Cup Semi Final scorers were Gordon Rae and Ally McLeod penalty. Aberdeen scored first through Steve Archibald.

Terrible rainy night and lots of trouble between the fans during and after the match, mainly due to all being in the 'Rangers End' together.

New Corrie
16-09-2010, 05:56 PM
It was mobbed that night :agree:

It was a great atmosphere, we were behind the goals, it was jumping. Dens was a good stadium when there was a big crowd.

Iggy Pope
16-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I was at the game. Hibs and sheep fans both in the old rangers end, separated by a big fence iirc. There were objects being flung back and forth over it in clashes. Aberdeen went ahead, i THINK colin campbell equalised but cant remember who scored the winner. Remember cacking myself when they brought on Ian Scanlon as a sub, he was running riot but we held on. Was defo midweek.

Ally McLeod penalty followed by a Gordon Rae winner.
What a night.
You're right about Scanlon - he was a player that could've always caused us damage.

And wee fatty missed a sitter right in front of us from a yard out.
:singing:
Harper's a barrel - Harper's a barrel o' *****!

IWasThere2016
16-09-2010, 06:24 PM
It was Kennedy not McKimmie with the cross at Dens

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2010, 06:28 PM

IIRC the whole ground was open, and some hardy souls were standing in the Celtic end.

It was sweet revenge for the league cup semi at Dens Park when a speculative cross from Stuart Kennedy ended up in our net. That was a pulsating match!

Looking back, 1979 was the end of an era for Hibs as a dominant force in Scottish football. Despite the odd bright spot, we haven't matched the 70s since - not consistently anyway.

Iggy Pope
16-09-2010, 06:34 PM
IIRC the whole ground was open, and some hardy souls were standing in the Celtic end.

It was sweet revenge for the league cup semi at Dens Park when a speculative cross from Stuart Kennedy ended up in our net. That was a pulsating match!

Looking back, 1979 was the end of an era for Hibs as a dominant force in Scottish football. Despite the odd bright spot, we haven't matched the 70s since - not consistently anyway.

Agree to an extent FR but we were largely crap from 76. Think that is where the era ended.

IWasThere2016
16-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Correct - we've sadly never really got near the same standards than 70s.

I would say the same for the game itself also. It was infinitely more entertaining IMHO with the emphasis on skill and technique over physique.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-09-2010, 06:43 PM
i was at that game...gordon rae scored,cant remember who scored our other goal though....the game was at hampden and they put both sets of fans in the rangers end...the crowd was poor but it might have been because it was a miserable midweek night and it was raining...cant remember to be honest...i thought the crowd was 9000....the final was mental though,well the three finals were...i went to them all and if the violence after the first match was shocking,really the worst i've ever seen...the second match was a nightmare too and by the time the third match came along this 15 year old laddie wasn't too bothered about arthur duncan putting the ball in his own net as it meant we could return to edinburgh with our bus wiondows intact...the following years final showed the huns up for what they were but i dont think the violence on the pitch that day came anywhere close to what we put up with on aitkenhead rd in may 79.

Your right there! :bitchy: a **** nightmare after the first game, these ****bag huns tried tp pull our emergency door open and a few of us fell out and have to say these filthy maggots never knew what the St Giles boys could do and a few took a pasting but more them turned up and had to get back on the bus sharpish only for a weegie plod to barge on our bus and try to arrest a few of us, utter mayhem after that and the dirver (bless him) telt the plod to "get the fk oaf ma bus ahm takin these laddies oot o this ****hole" and he did warning us he'd be looking for us at the reply :bitchy: **** of the earth the polis were back then, they are tame now compared to what they used to be :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Agree to an extent FR but we were largely crap from 76. Think that is where the era ended.

If the dream died in 76 (I agree) the funeral was in 79.

New Corrie
16-09-2010, 07:06 PM
If the dream died in 76 (I agree) the funeral was in 79.

Sadly FR, that is pretty much spot on.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Your right there! :bitchy: a **** nightmare after the first game, these ****bag huns tried tp pull our emergency door open and a few of us fell out and have to say these filthy maggots never knew what the St Giles boys could do and a few took a pasting but more them turned up and had to get back on the bus sharpish only for a weegie plod to barge on our bus and try to arrest a few of us, utter mayhem after that and the dirver (bless him) telt the plod to "get the fk oaf ma bus ahm takin these laddies oot o this ****hole" and he did warning us he'd be looking for us at the reply :bitchy: **** of the earth the polis were back then, they are tame now compared to what they used to be :rolleyes:

:agree: the police were just as bad as the animals supporting the filthy huns that day. I was arrested for having the cheek to fight back at some huns who started punching me and a few of my mates.:bitchy:

Went back for the replay and when we got back to the bus after, there was no windows left.

Kicked the sheite out a few of them after the 3rd game where the buses were parked, **** deserved every punch/kick that was delivered.

I hate huns.

delbert
16-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeh was at both those games, Hampden midweek was bizarre, pishin rain, but in the Rangers end under the roof, it was the dirt steps and we were choking with the dust. One of those games which should also have gone to Dens, but the SFA in their wisdom made everyone come through to Hampden on a terrible night, hence the crowd, and I reckon even it it had been blazing sunshine, the crowd would'nt have been much more.

The League Cup semi at Dens was heartbreaking, to be fair we were under the cosh for most of the night, but Mike McDonald played out his skin and kept up in the 90 minutes pretty well single handed, one save from a header when Aberdeen had a 3 on 1 break was utterly unbelievable, right in the postage stamp top corner and when the cross came over he was going the other way, how he saved that one I still don't know to this day, one of many that night. It was ironic then that just before half time in extra time, Stewart Kennedy put over a backpost cross and Mcdonald back peddling collided with the post and the ball dropped in, the keeper did not deserve to be on the losing team that night, he was outstanding. We were a poor team at that time unfortunately, but it was still great, as somehow we kept getting to semi's and also a few finals, if only we could do the same now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-09-2010, 08:20 PM
:agree: the police were just as bad as the animals supporting the filthy huns that day. I was arrested for having the cheek to fight back at some huns who started punching me and a few of my mates.:bitchy:

Went back for the replay and when we got back to the bus after, there was no windows left.

Kicked the sheite out a few of them after the 3rd game where the buses were parked, **** deserved every punch/kick that was delivered.

I hate huns.

Snap!

:agree:

Gala Foxes
16-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I was there on the Edinburgh West bus - Biff Rae scored a superb goal - Happy Days

mcvities
16-09-2010, 09:03 PM
joe harper scored the first goal then ally macleod and gordon rae scored for us. i was 13 at the time and went through in the car. i think there was doubts about the game going ahead cause i remember there was heavy fog going through, at the game and coming home. great night though :greengrin

Davy Mac
16-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Oddly enough I was at the semi but not the final.

Only 10 at the time but I do remember virtually no Aberdeen fans at all, in fact I stood roughly at the same spot some 13 years later..........:greengrin

mcvities
16-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Oddly enough I was at the semi but not the final.

Only 10 at the time but I do remember virtually no Aberdeen fans at all, in fact I stood roughly at the same spot some 13 years later..........:greengrin

don't you mean 12 years later :cool2:. you obviously missed your maths lessons following hibs :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
16-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I was 11 at the time and went to all 3 finals. IIRC the attendance at the last one was just 32k?

For some reason one of the things I remember was the huns singing adjusted words to the Boney M classic Hooray Hooray It's A Happy Holiday. They replaced Holiday with IRA.

A lot of things have changed not least the state of Hampden and peace in NI. But they still sing their daft songs.

Davy Mac
17-09-2010, 06:09 AM
don't you mean 12 years later :cool2:. you obviously missed your maths lessons following hibs :greengrin

I originally put 12 years before I edited to 13.

Ah well, it was a wee bit late when I posted, mind you it was the same date as my niece's christening so I should have remembered.

Sorry Gemma...:thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
17-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Missed the Dens game. Unfortunatey at all the Hampden games. Not an advocate of violence but I also have to say I enjoyed some at these games.

Phil D. Rolls
17-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I was 11 at the time and went to all 3 finals. IIRC the attendance at the last one was just 32k?

For some reason one of the things I remember was the huns singing adjusted words to the Boney M classic Hooray Hooray It's A Happy Holiday. They replaced Holiday with IRA.

A lot of things have changed not least the state of Hampden and peace in NI. But they still sing their daft songs.

They sang that one non - stop for the whole 90 minutes.:brickwall

norhfc
17-09-2010, 10:05 AM
after the first final in 79 the whole Hibs support where either on their busses or trying to get on them when the huns attacked us.Bricks and bottles rained in and the police stood and watched.I was on a Bonnyrigg bus,we had to get out and defend ourselves,it was hand to hand stuff where we gave a good account of ourselves.We where sitting ducks in those busses,no much fun hiding under the seats,thats when the older lads went on a counter attack,really was like a battle.I was only 15 and didnt make the other two finals,was also at the Aberdeen game where we burnt a union jack someone had stolen,memories eh.

gogs_t
17-09-2010, 10:47 AM
after the first final in 79 the whole Hibs support where either on their busses or trying to get on them when the huns attacked us.Bricks and bottles rained in and the police stood and watched.I was on a Bonnyrigg bus,we had to get out and defend ourselves,it was hand to hand stuff where we gave a good account of ourselves.We where sitting ducks in those busses,no much fun hiding under the seats,thats when the older lads went on a counter attack,really was like a battle.I was only 15 and didnt make the other two finals,was also at the Aberdeen game where we burnt a union jack someone had stolen,memories eh.

I remember vividly leaving Hampden after the 1st game and the Rangers "fans!!" lining up with bricks when the buses passed and the police just watching. We only had one window smashed but got back to Corstorphine and watched a load of guys get off a Rangers bus a few cars ahead of us, pile into a garden to get some rocks and then we lost our second window!! At this point, a pile of Hibbies on our bus had had enough - and a lot of these guys were a bit older and would never normally be involved in any trouble - jumped off the bus and chased them up a street, catching one of them. They brought him back down to Corstorphine Road - a bit battered and bruised. At this point, the Edinburgh police turned up and asked what had happened. They were told about the smashed window and that one of the guys had been caught. They then asked what had happened to him as he didn't look too good. "He fell" was the response. No problem to the local polis and they took him away.
I was only 16 at the time and because of the trouble, never got to go to the second game but my dad took me to the 3rd - but by car!

We really should have won it though. :boo hoo:

Joe Baker II
17-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Interesting posts on these games as I was not at either of the semi finals or final replays, only 0-0 draw on the Saturday which seemed to me anyway to be trouble-free.

Think also Turnbull had big fall out with McDonald whom he blamed for Aberdeen winning goal at Dens despite having had a blinder up to then. He and Alex Ferguson never got on anyway but think Ferguson said he was out of order and this made their relationship worse. And Aberdeen's subsequent defeat to Rangers in final really set off the hatred between these two clubs which has never been reduced to this day.

CropleyWasGod
17-09-2010, 10:51 AM
They sang that one non - stop for the whole 90 minutes.:brickwall

Part timer! It was 330 minutes :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
17-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Part timer! It was 330 minutes :grr:

That's my cover blown!

Aldo
17-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I was only 9...my uncle too me to the final (all 3 games) and after the first one I aboot shat ma sell as the Huns went on the rampage.

Still ma first real season as a Hibs fan and loved every minute of it.

Gala Foxes
17-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Missed the Dens game. Unfortunatey at all the Hampden games. Not an advocate of violence but I also have to say I enjoyed some at these games.

you missed the game at Dens & "Supermac" missed the cross

andyhibs
17-09-2010, 06:10 PM
It was Kennedy not McKimmie with the cross at Dens
:agree::agree: , seem to remember super mac kept us in the game with a world class save before that

NAE NOOKIE
17-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Was at the semi and all 3 final games.

Didnt see a single Hibs bus without a broken window after the first game and had to hitch a lift from Edinburgh to Innerleithen at x o'clock at night after the Monday game.

Just to prove the cops aint all bad they gave me a lift from Penicuik to Peebles

Ah ... The old quiz question. Who was the last Hibs player to score the winning goal in a Scottish cup final ?

Stonewall
17-09-2010, 07:33 PM
40 posts on the 1979 cup final and no-one has mentioned the Colin Campbell penalty that never was (given).

Still gets my blood boiling.

Are we losing our abilty to bare a grudge?

Phil D. Rolls
17-09-2010, 07:45 PM
40 posts on the 1979 cup final and no-one has mentioned the Colin Campbell penalty that never was (given).

Every time I see that I get angrier. :agree:

tony higgins
17-04-2011, 12:30 AM

on 11-04-1979

Came across this old thread about the semi final in 1979.

Tom Hart, the then Hibs chairman, asked for the game to be moved to Hampden so that the players had a chance of playing on the Hampden surface.
Common sense would have said, play the game on the East Coast.
But that was our Tom.
He probably guessed correct that Aberdeen wouldn't bring much of a crowd.

sunshine1875
17-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Came across this old thread about the semi final in 1979.

Tom Hart, the then Hibs chairman, asked for the game to be moved to Hampden so that the players had a chance of playing on the Hampden surface.
Common sense would have said, play the game on the East Coast.
But that was our Tom.
He probably guessed correct that Aberdeen wouldn't bring much of a crowd.

Made me think of the 2000 SC semi against the Dons at Hampden - the attendance on a Sunday evening was 22,193 and I don't remember many Dons at the game. One up following a Latapy goal against a poor Dons team, yet we still contrived to lose. IIRC Leighton had a few good saves to keep us from scoring a second.

http://www.fatsandbald.freeuk.com/MatchReports/MRHibsvAberdeen2000.htm

ronaldo7
17-04-2011, 08:24 AM

On seeing the huns coming towards our bus with bricks and bottles, our bus emptied and got in amongst them. One hun who kept coming back for more, finally took one and never got up again. Our bus went back to Auld Reekie with all windows intact.

I hate the huns.

scoopyboy
17-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I was at both Aberdeen semis, despite the poor crowd there was a reasonable atmosphere with the fans being so close to each other.

I was at first two games in the final but didn't go to the third, looking back I find that amazing and unacceptable.

I had just got back from Wembley but to opt not to go to the final was simply beyond belief. Listened to the game on the radio and was going to go up see the cup if we won but still can't believe I wasn't at it.

francobaresi
17-04-2011, 02:42 PM
My old fella took me & both my brothers (one a jambo) to this one. Can't remember much about the crowd, I thought it was bigger than that though! My memory is poor in my dotage:wink:
Excited at the prospect of going to the final but my old man refused to take me to a game involving Rangers. Watched on TV instead:boo hoo:

heretoday
17-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Great thread.

I was at the semi in pouring rain. Luckily we went through on a train which stopped at , I think, King's Park Station. Do they still do that? It saved us getting attacked by the Huns.

The final deserves a book written. I was at all three games. We got constantly threatened by big, fat, tattoed Huns on the old open Hampden terrace.

I think Hibs should have won the cup that year. Anyone remember Bobby Hutchinson?

Hiber-nation
17-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I was at both Aberdeen semis, despite the poor crowd there was a reasonable atmosphere with the fans being so close to each other.

I was at first two games in the final but didn't go to the third, looking back I find that amazing and unacceptable.

I had just got back from Wembley but to opt not to go to the final was simply beyond belief. Listened to the game on the radio and was going to go up see the cup if we won but still can't believe I wasn't at it.

Me too, I was about greeting listening on the radio when big Tony scored ....the thought of missing us winning it was unbearable. Not to be though...
I'd still have preferred the win of course!

Sammy7nil
17-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Yip i was there torrential rain, I was in the old silly stand that was isolated on it's own very very high if I recall correctly ?

Dashing Bob S
17-04-2011, 04:39 PM

I blame the casuals for all the violence, even though they didn't exist at the time.

Vaguely remember being at the game, could barely see anything at one stage when fog came down. But I was just a cub Hibee then and perhaps I'm imagining things.

moredun
18-04-2011, 07:04 PM

No coincidence the 10 team league started then eh.

Am i right in thinking we were second to the mancy celtc in the last old first division season?

It was downhill all the way after that, apart from the Fergie and Mclean years, no-one has ever succeeded in getting close to building a competetive team to consistantly fight them.
The yams have tried and failed and look at the state of their finances:devil:

But all in all, we have got that bad, we are going back to a ten team league:confused:

andyhibs
18-04-2011, 07:39 PM

i think that incident wi the girvin sxxthoose on colin campbell started my dislike for the men in black , and the old firm bias, i was 16 at the time and like you all , our bus windows got tanned at all 3 games, also if i remember , we always got aberdeen in the semis and always played at dens park, still have the scarf i got for the final , with the metal badges you used to buy,and yes supermac kept us in the game with a string of superb saves in the semi, but as is the norm for any keeper its the mistake that everyone remembers.

penihibs
18-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Was at all three games and wembley in between.remember just getting in to the old enclosure and hibs scored, had a can of beer i just opened, up in the air it went,but to no avail yet agan.

The first game was crazy, after the game the huns came over the wastelands like Red indians,we were on a bus from the Southside in Edinburgh, all mates with their Dad's and uncle's can see them all now taking their jackets off and steamin in to them! they never new what hit them. sang all the way home with out any windows on the bus, freezin but proud to be Hibby!!!:agree:

One Day
18-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Was at all three games and wembley in between.remember just getting in to the old enclosure and hibs scored, had a can of beer i just opened, up in the air it went,but to no avail yet agan.

The first game was crazy, after the game the huns came over the wastelands like Red indians,we were on a bus from the Southside in Edinburgh, all mates with their Dad's and uncle's can see them all now taking their jackets off and steamin in to them! they never new what hit them. sang all the way home with out any windows on the bus, freezin but proud to be Hibby!!!:agree:

It was like Custers last stand for a while

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Was at the semi and all 3 final matches. I'm sure I had to hitch a lift home from Edinburgh to Innerleithen after the 2nd replay.

Funnily enough was talking to a Yam workmate about that 2nd replay only yesterday. I remember walking through the turnstyle before the game and there was a 10ish year old Hun sitting at the bottom of the steps with a fag hanging out of his gob who looked at me and said ( and I aint kidding ) "F**ck the Virgin Mary". I was so taken aback I couldnt think of a thing to say.

My other abiding memory was not seeing a single Hibs bus without a broken window on the way home from the first game.

Was at the Aberdeen semi at Dens too. Brilliant atmosphere in the shed behind the goals that night.

Spike Mandela
21-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I went to the Semi in 79 with Callum Milne and his Uncle (yeah I know , namedropper lol).

I also went to the quarter against Hearts at ER with Callum and a few hearts mates. What a hoot that was, Hearts fans fighting amongst themselves and with the police.

My dad (a Jambo, don't ask) had promised me he would take me to the final if we got there probably safe in the knowledge that we wouldn't. After persistant nagging he got us tickets from a boy he knew in the Silver Wing near broomhouse and onto the local supporters bus.

Day started off great with all the singing on the bus and the traffic so slow people could jump off the bus for a pee and then catch it up down the road. Then first signs of trouble at a service station with Hun buses there as well. Day deteriorated when my dad decided to walk us to our seat through the Rangers end( we didn't know Hampden so well!) Some of the looks I got in my Hibs colours with the scarfs on each wrist Bay City Rolleresque.

Like others have said evrey window in our bus got panned in after the game and I had to hide under the seats while my dad stood in the aisle. The boy who got us the tickets got kneed in the face by a big permed hun with high waisters and flares. My dad swore to never take me to the football again, he never, I never looked back!