PDA

View Full Version : Booing impacting the team...

matty_f
16-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Interesting read from Dickoh from the Scotsman website, talking about how he was disappointed to hear the booing when De Graaf was subbed on Saturday, and backing him to come good :

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Edwin-will-be-a-big.6534704.jp

IMHO, if Dickoh is disappointed by it, you can only imagine how bad De Graaf was feeling walking off, and what it would do to his confidence.

Well done to the booers, great to see some patience being shown to our new players and helping them to settle in nicely.

Westie1875
16-09-2010, 09:38 AM
The booing at easter road is getting out of hand, it should be reserved for opposition players and refs only imo.

matty_f
16-09-2010, 09:38 AM
The booing at easter road is getting out of hand, it should be reserved for opposition players and refs only imo.
:top marks

Said it before, and I'll say it again - we give the opposition a much easier time of it than we give our own players. There's something seriously wrong with that.

Posh Swanny
16-09-2010, 09:44 AM
This is becoming more and more prevalent throughout the UK, not just at Easter Road. And if football clubs continue to eek more and more cash from from their loyal supporters only to see zero or negative returns on the pitch, they'll have to get used to it.

matty_f
16-09-2010, 10:06 AM
This is becoming more and more prevalent throughout the UK, not just at Easter Road. And if football clubs continue to eek more and more cash from from their loyal supporters only to see zero or negative returns on the pitch, they'll have to get used to it.

I never once heard the ICT fans booing their players on Saturday, even when hibs were well on top.

bawheid
16-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I've no doubt we'll have some clown on here soon saying De Graaf deserved to be booed and that he pays his way so he can say and do what he likes, etc, etc...

There are a fair few morons watch Hibs I'm afraid.

pentlando
16-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Bit of a strange post :confused: The more money i have to pay to go watch my team the more i want to go enjoy the game, stay for the whole game and see my team win. At no point do i say, oh god i've paid an extra fiver for this game so i'm going to boo anyone who misses a shot on goal! nBooing your own side helps no-one but the opposition.

Stevie Reid
16-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Said it before, and I'll say it again - we give the opposition a much easier time of it than we give our own players. There's something seriously wrong with that.

Correct Matty. Trouble is, much of our support wants our manager to fail, as they do not like him - in turn, if his new signings turn out to be failures, then they can argue that they were right all along - so therefore new signings get little encouragement, with some even willing them to fail. It's a pretty viscious cycle, and one that does no favours to anyone at ER at all.

Sad, sad times - especially when we have so much that we should be happy about.

matty_f
16-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Correct Matty. Trouble is, much of our support wants our manager to fail, as they do not like him - in turn, if his new signings turn out to be failures, then they can argue that they were right all along - so therefore new signings get little encouragement, with some even willing them to fail. It's a pretty viscious cycle, and one that does no favours to anyone at ER at all.

Sad, sad times - especially when we have so much that we should be happy about.

Nail on the head mate.:agree:

basehibby
16-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Interesting read from Dickoh from the Scotsman website, talking about how he was disappointed to hear the booing when De Graaf was subbed on Saturday, and backing him to come good :

IMHO, if Dickoh is disappointed by it, you can only imagine how bad De Graaf was feeling walking off, and what it would do to his confidence.

Well done to the booers, great to see some patience being shown to our new players and helping them to settle in nicely.

:top marks This is the greatest annoyance I can think of about going to the football - 100 times more annoying than some gadge smelling of smoke or getting up to beat the pie queues that's for sure. I see these people as directly damaging my football team -in fact, if I was in charge of the security I'd make a point of ignoring the folk standing up and singing and just have the boo-ers chucked out instead - such a measure would probably improve the atmosphere at games by 100% at a stroke.

HFC 0-7
16-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Although I never boo a player I have booed the team at half time and full time, however, I would like to think that a player wouldnt let boo's get to him that much. FWIW if I missed the chance De Graff did and got boo'd I wouldnt hold a grudge, I would understand why its happening.

IMO I think that the players need to toughen up a bit if the boo's are effecting them. I would like them to adopt a more Cantona approach, maybe not attack the fans, but show a bit of passion and moan at the fans back, show they care. I seem to remember Hogg went on a run of a few decent games after he had a bit of a moan to the fans for getting on his back.

IMO its a perfect opportunity for the players to stand up and show what they can do.

pentlando
16-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Do Hamilton not have a policy of ejecting and banning supporters who give out ridiculously bad abuse to their own manager, players and any of their staff? Something we should maybe consider. I'm not talking about booing, but some of the things shouted at both de graaf and thicot after their mistakes at the weekend was beyond belief

hibs0666
16-09-2010, 10:59 AM

You'd hope that this would give the brain-dead fannies that boo their own players during games a wee wake up call. Unfortunately, it will zero impact on the behaviour of these clowns.

basehibby
16-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Although I never boo a player I have booed the team at half time and full time, however, I would like to think that a player wouldnt let boo's get to him that much. FWIW if I missed the chance De Graff did and got boo'd I wouldnt hold a grudge, I would understand why its happening.

IMO I think that the players need to toughen up a bit if the boo's are effecting them. I would like them to adopt a more Cantona approach, maybe not attack the fans, but show a bit of passion and moan at the fans back, show they care. I seem to remember Hogg went on a run of a few decent games after he had a bit of a moan to the fans for getting on his back.

IMO its a perfect opportunity for the players to stand up and show what they can do.

Re the bit in bold - this depends on the player's personality. I remember Joe Tortolano (showing my age) used to get targeted by some morons (showing that this is not a new phenomenom - although it HAS got worse IMO) and sometimes you could see the guy visibly crumple inside. The result in his case was generally that he would try TOO hard and give away a foul or overhit a pass as a result. ie it was blatantly obvious that being booed by elements of his own support adversely affected his game and was therefore detrimental to the team's overall performance.

I'm pretty convinced that Colin Nish has had a few games where he's been less effective after being booed by erseholes in the Hibs support - in his case his frustration is obvious which in turn means that his focus has been distracted.

In the case of De Graaf I would concur with his teammate Dickoh in that he'll probably score a bunch of goals this season as he certainly gets himself into goalscoring positions on a regular basis. The last thing I want to see is him snatching at shots because he's been put off by some bunch of fannies who seem to have lost their way en route to the Panto :bitchy:

down-the-slope
16-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I remember DeGraff during pre-season tour saying how he was really pleased that a loyal group of fans who always went to his clubs matches with a really big flag in support of him came to one of Hibs Holland games and presented the flag to him (now he had left their club) and wished him well

Bet he is really pleased to have swapped his country / club / culture and fans who appreciated him over many years to what he has endured so far...it really show us in a bad light.

For what its worth I think he has played much better than he has been credited for (playing the way / system he has been asked) and will if we don't drive him out be a key player for us..

I would rather watch with 4/5000 supporters than the current greater numbers who see abuse as justified and their right :rolleyes:

LancashireHibby
16-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Do Hamilton not have a policy of ejecting and banning supporters who give out ridiculously bad abuse to their own manager, players and any of their staff? Something we should maybe consider. I'm not talking about booing, but some of the things shouted at both de graaf and thicot after their mistakes at the weekend was beyond belief

Then we'd end up with a similar support to Hamilton, ie one man and a very quiet dog!

Antifa Hibs
16-09-2010, 11:12 AM
TBH, how many dafties are we talking here? I was at the top of the East bang in the middle, I gave him an applause (half heartedly I'll admit) along with the vast majority of people around me, I did hear some boo's but they were in the distance, not very loud at all.

Maybe 100 ****wits booing, the rest either clapping or doing nothing (which is fine by me). Case of a few bad apples again methinks...

Hibbyradge
16-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I read someone on here, as a justification for his behaviour at games, saying that a player "must be told" that he was playing badly.

I always knew when I was playing well, badly or just getting by. All players do. In fact, most players are their own worst critics.

So the benefits of booing are...? :dunno:

It's often said, and rightly, that confidence is important to a team's performance and results. A team of highly skilled individuals who lack confidence will rarely succeed. A highly motivated and confident side of lesser talented players will often punch above their weight.

Try to imagine/remember playing football with your mates, either a muck about in the park, a game of fives at the Pitz or 11-a-side for an organised amateur side.

The end of the game comes, or you are subbed, and your team mates/manager/ onlookers start booing and shouting that you're sheite, that you should f off and that you don't deserve to get a game.

What would that do to your confidence? How would it affect your team spirit and feelings of loyalty?

Booing is for the pleasure of the person booing. It's selfish, bullying behaviour and is utterly destructive.

iwasthere1972
16-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Watching the Papal visit on Sky News and the Pope waving to the crowds on his way through Edinburgh. Looks like a Hibs mini bus on it's way to Hampden.

Any chance that Hibs could get a hold of this Popemobile and parade Rankin/Nish/De Graaf (delete whichever applicable) up and down Leith Walk after they've had a bad game. Give all Hibs supporters a chance to boo and not just the ones who have been at the game.

You know you want to.

The Nishmobile. :wink: Mind you Nish and mobile just doesn't sound right.

Gatecrasher
16-09-2010, 11:32 AM
aye, but folk pay their money so they can do what they want :blah:

players should be above this :blah:

it doesnt affect the team :blah:

booing players is not the best way forward IMO,

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2010, 11:38 AM
As much as i think De Graff is a donkey, i'd never contemplate booing him or berating him during a game, or any player we have. As the radge says, Booing is for the pleasure of the person booing. It's selfish, bullying behaviour and is utterly destructive.:bitchy:

Posh Swanny
16-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Bit of a strange post :confused: The more money i have to pay to go watch my team the more i want to go enjoy the game, stay for the whole game and see my team win. At no point do i say, oh god i've paid an extra fiver for this game so i'm going to boo anyone who misses a shot on goal! nBooing your own side helps no-one but the opposition.

I'm the same and I guess that will also be the case for the vast majority. All I'm saying is that for some people, the more money they have to pay to go and watch their team, the more they will expect to be entertained. If the standards on the pitch fall short (way short at Easter Road lately) then there will be a reaction. Some will keep quiet and simply not bother going any more, others will vent their frustrations.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I appreciate what everyone is saying on this subject, however, how else would you vent your anger and/or frustrations when the team clearly is not playing well?...........

....do we just sit quietly in the stands and accept these poor performances week in week out (and im talking about since the start of last season, because if your honest with yourself even when we were winning the football wasn't pretty at times!!) or do we just not go to games, which hits our club even harder and would more than likely make the players/football played at the club worse?

I just want to see what peoples opinions are for other options if we're not happy with the teams performances?!

I'll put my tin hat on!! :tin hat:

And for the record I don't boo the team.

Hibbyradge
16-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I appreciate what everyone is saying on this subject, however, how else would you vent your anger and/or frustrations when the team clearly is not playing well?...........

....do we just sit quietly in the stands and accept these poor performances week in week out (and im talking about since the start of last season, because if your honest with yourself even when we were winning the football wasn't pretty at times!!) or do we just not go to games, which hits our club even harder and would more than likely make the players/football played at the club worse?

I just want to see what peoples opinions are for other options if we're not happy with the teams performances?!

I'll put my tin hat on!! :tin hat:

And for the record I don't boo the team.

What do you do when the weather isn't how you'd like it to be?

Or when anything else outwith your own control doesn't make you happy?

I think it's called self control.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 11:53 AM
What do you do when the weather isn't how you'd like it to be?

Or when anything else outwith your own control doesn't make you happy?

I think it's called self control.

So you're happy with the poor performances that we see week in week out?

All I'm saying is that is not just a reaction to one or two poor results, this is an accumlative thing that has built up since the turn of the year (although the poor performances were before then, we just got away with it).

marinello59
16-09-2010, 11:58 AM

All I'm saying is that is not just a reaction to one or two poor results, this is an accumlative thing that has built up since the turn of the year (although the poor performances were before then, we just got away with it).

If people are that unhappy why even bother going along? As has already been said, booing during a match is a purely selfish act.

Gatecrasher
16-09-2010, 11:59 AM

and how does booing helps the situation exactly?

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I said originally I appreciate what your saying, but my question back was if your not happy with performances what else can you do??

Do we just sit there and watch the attendences dwindle and then we end up with less money to spend on players and improving the team.

What does doing nothing acheive for the overall greatness of the club?

Hibbyradge

What factors helped you come to that conclusion?

I've been watching Hibs fail for nearly 40 years.

Are you suggesting that if I had booed louder in the 70's, our results would have been better?

gramskiwood
Surely if supporters were to show their disaproval of the booers it would die out eventually. We need to demonstrate to the players that we are right behind them and restore a good atmosphere at Easter Road.

Hibbyradge
16-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I said originally I appreciate what your saying, but my question back was if your not happy with performances what else can you do??

Do we just sit there and watch the attendences dwindle and then we end up with less money to spend on players and improving the team.

Are you suggesting that booing players helps attendances?

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 12:07 PM
What factors helped you come to that conclusion?

I've been watching Hibs fail for nearly 40 years.

Are you suggesting that if I had booed louder in the 70's, our results would have been better?

It was a question. I wasn't jumping to a conclusion. And I think your maybe taking it a bit personally (I may be wrong though).

All I'm asking is what else is there to do if your not happy with performances(not you personally but as a supporter who is unhappy)? If we let attendences slip back down to 7/8000 then the team isn't going to improve just because we have reduced the booing.

Danderhall Hibs
16-09-2010, 12:10 PM

There's an argument posted in post 89 of this thread (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?192395-Booing-men-in-green-jerseys&p=2575661&viewfull=1#post2575661).

Rangers/Celtic have a different mentality from everyone else and that's why their players know they can't afford many mistakes. Our's are in a comfort zone where they don't need to win every week and the odd good game is good enough.

I think a problem we have at HIbs is there are a lot of fans who make their mind up on players so early (sometimes even before they've seen them play!) that they boo and that at the wrong times.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Are you trying to twist everything I say?! :confused:

The statment that was made was why bother going if your just going to boo. Well if everyone who boo'd one or twice or all the time never went, we would be left with a poor attendances therefore (more than likely) resulting in a poor team on the park. That is just my opinion though.

I just dont think sitting doing nothing helps the manager, club and players to think that what we see on the pitch is unacceptable.

Hibbyradge
16-09-2010, 12:14 PM
It was a question. I wasn't jumping to a conclusion. And I think your maybe taking it a bit personally (I may be wrong though).

All I'm asking is what else is there to do if your not happy with performances(not you personally but as a supporter who is unhappy)? If we let attendences slip back down to 7/8000 then the team isn't going to improve just because we have reduced the booing.

I suggest we do exactly the same as we do when something else which is outwith our control doesn't go as we would have wished.

Maybe write a letter? Sigh and put it down to experience? Sing a wee song? Go into a quiet corner and curl up in a ball and rock backwards and forwards?

Or should we all be little drama queens who have to publicly demonstrate our disappointment everytime our dreams aren't realised?

Hibbyradge
16-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Are you trying to twist everything I say?! :confused:

No, not at all. I just didn't understand why you brought attendances into the discussion.

The statment that was made was why bother going if your just going to boo. Well if everyone who boo'd one or twice or all the time never went, we would be left with a poor attendances therefore (more than likely) resulting in a poor team on the park. That is just my opinion though.

I think the point was that folk should go to games, but not boo.

I just dont think sitting doing nothing helps the manager, club and players to think that what we see on the pitch is unacceptable.

I don't believe anyone at the club thinks that our recent results and performances are acceptable.

Attendances will rise and fall regardless of whether a few loudmouths vent their frustration by booing.

Indeed, I think booing adversely affects our performances so therefore, booing helps to reduce attendances.

Thecat23
16-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I remember going to ER when big eck was in charge and the team spirit we had was great. I think this came from the fact fans when we went a goal down right away started clapping and cheering for the Hibs and more often than not we came back into the game and won it.

I have booed, i'll not sit and deny it but now i just want to go take in the game and try and enjoy it.. My dad who never went to ER for 15 yrs because of health issues is now a season ticket holder along with myself. To have him there next to me after years of him taking me to games is great. So maybe i'm just more chilled and not so worked up now but i always shout and clap to encourage Hibs now after we lose a goal. I truly think if the fans done this again maybe the players heads wouldn't drop as much and might think wait a min we're not out this, we still have the backing of the Hibs support. Support = confidence so maybe we should give it a go!! Just my opinion of course.

Jack
16-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I think everyone at the club will be only too aware that results and certain individual performances are not as good as they should be – I’m not sure they will need 2 or 300 antisupporters reminding them and depressing the rest of us even further.

silverhibee
16-09-2010, 12:50 PM
If the poor results continue, the booing will only get worse at ER sadly.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Im trying to recall when it started going bad in the second part of last season.....was the booing anywhere near as bad as it was on Saturday?

silverhibee
16-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Im trying to recall when it started going bad in the second part of last season.....was the booing anywhere near as bad as it was on Saturday?

Nothing compared to the booing the team got during and after the game at St. Johnstone.

On a side note, i remember going to Alloa vs Hibs many years ago and the Hibs support booing a young Garry O'Connor for most of the game, so its not something that has just started over night.

If the team can start getting the right results on the park, starting Saturday, then the booing will slowly go away, its down to Yogi and the players to get it right on the pitch, and for the fans to get behind them and give them the support they need. Here is hoping anyway.

C'mon the Hibs.

Wilson
16-09-2010, 01:51 PM
There is a lot of crap being posted on this thread. Booing is not a sign of fans wanting the manager to fail. It is by-product of the manager and team failing.

As for why folk bother going if they are not happy with performances - surely we are all going in the hope and expectation that things will improve??!! Plenty have fallen by the wayside (lowering attendances) but that wont help the club in the long run - we need every paying fan we fan get through the gate in order to realise the club's potential,

As for the general backlash against booing supporters. It is not their fault we are *****. Booing hasn't made us that way. Maybe it doesn't exactly help but if the club wants cheering fans then give them something to cheer about.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Nothing compared to the booing the team got during and after the game at St. Johnstone.

On a side note, i remember going to Alloa vs Hibs many years ago and the Hibs support booing a young Garry O'Connor for most of the game, so its not something that has just started over night.

If the team can start getting the right results on the park, starting Saturday, then the booing will slowly go away, its down to Yogi and the players to get it right on the pitch, and for the fans to get behind them and give them the support they need. Here is hoping anyway.

C'mon the Hibs.

Agreed. I do think we need to give someone a right doing (in footballing terms :wink:) to try and get fans back on side.

I think the booing's got gradually worse and will keep doing so until we start winning or performances improve.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 01:59 PM
There is a lot of crap being posted on this thread. Booing is not a sign of fans wanting the manager to fail. It is by-product of the manager and team failing.

As for why folk bother going if they are not happy with performances - surely we are all going in the hope and expectation that things will improve??!! Plenty have fallen by the wayside (lowering attendances) but that wont help the club in the long run - we need every paying fan we fan get through the gate in order to realise the club's potential,

As for the general backlash against booing supporters. It is not their fault we are *****. Booing hasn't made us that way. Maybe it doesn't exactly help but if the club wants cheering fans then give them something to cheer about.

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Well said:agree:

Barney McGrew
16-09-2010, 02:06 PM
IMO I think that the players need to toughen up a bit if the boo's are effecting them

Or alternatively, how about the fudleys that boo their own players during the game toughen up, realise we're not going to win every game by umpteen goals and keep their gobs shut?

The bit that gets me is that those same fudleys booed De Graaf when we were well on top on Saturday and were winning the game FFS.

Can ANYONE explain why booing your own player when you're winning a game can be anything other than destructive towards that player?

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Or alternatively, how about the fudleys that boo their own players during the game toughen up, realise we're not going to win every game by umpteen goals and keep their gobs shut?

The bit that gets me is that those same fudleys booed De Graaf when we were well on top on Saturday and were winning the game FFS.

Can ANYONE explain why booing your own player when you're winning a game can be anything other than destructive towards that player?

How about just winning a game?

I agree that booing de graaf was wrong, and I wasn't one who did, mainly because I chose to stay in the pub rather than and go along last week.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Was it aimed at de graff or was it because of the substitution?

Barney McGrew
16-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Was it aimed at de graff or was it because of the substitution?

Nope, it was aimed squarely at De Graaf.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Nope, it was aimed squarely at De Graaf.

Thats a poor show then! He certainly wouldn't be the first name on my list if I was to boo any player. :devil:

H18sry
16-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Thats a poor show then! He certainly wouldn't be the first name on my list if I was to boo any player. :devil:

How can you boo players sitting in your living room? :devil:

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 02:38 PM

you use a megaphone:greengrin

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Haha, I knew you'd say something :greengrin ........One day you wont be able to use that............one day :wink:

LeithBoozy
16-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Why don't we use the Hearts method of disaproval and instead of booing our players, we wait until the last game of the season is finished then we all throw our season ticket books on mass onto the pitch. There again maybe not. A wee bit like throwing yer dummy oot the pram. LOL :boo hoo:

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I reckon someone should write an open letter to someone!!

H18sry
16-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Haha, I knew you'd say something :greengrin ........One day you wont be able to use that............one day :wink:

Dinny hold yer breath till that day happens mate :cool2:

MacBean
16-09-2010, 02:56 PM

The day you manage to pick up a freebie again :wink:

H18sry
16-09-2010, 02:59 PM
The day you manage to pick up a freebie again :wink:

:faf::faf::faf:

Jack
16-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I reckon someone should write an open letter to someone!!

Dear bighairyfaeleith

Thank you for your post of today at 03:54 pm, the contents of which are noted.

Yours sincerely

Jack

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 03:08 PM
the day you manage to pick up a freebie again :wink:

thanks pal!

RIP
16-09-2010, 03:13 PM
A lot of noise on here

Not enough at Easter Road

Next time some twat starts booing - start singing

A couple of hundred booing drowned out by our Singing Section - novel idea innit?

We need to make it socially unaacceptable for any Hibs Supporter to book his/her own players

How about a song

"If yer gonnae boo the Hibees **** off home
If yer gonnae boo the Hibees **** off home
If yer gonnae boo the Hibees, gonnae boo the Hibees
Gonnae boo the Hibees **** off home"

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2010, 03:15 PM
A lot of noise on here

A couple of hundred booing drowned out by our Singing Section - novel idea innit?

We need to make it socially unaacceptable for any Hibs Supporter to book his/her own players

How about a song

:top marks :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Dear bighairyfaeleith

Thank you for your post of today at 03:54 pm, the contents of which are noted.

Yours sincerely

Jack

:greengrin

At The Edge
16-09-2010, 03:29 PM
A lot of noise on here

How about a song

i'm up for that :top marks

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 03:29 PM
"If yer gonnae book the Hibees **** off home
If yer gonnae book the Hibees **** off home
If yer gonnae book the Hibees, gonnae book the Hibees
Gonnae book the Hibees **** off home"

Can also be used at the ref and talent scouts :wink:

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 03:43 PM
A lot of noise on here

How about a song

Why wait until someone Boo's?!......

Mikey
16-09-2010, 03:57 PM
We need to make it socially unaacceptable for any Hibs Supporter to boo his/her own players

Spot on.

basehibby
16-09-2010, 05:25 PM

It's possible to express yourself in a positive way even if yer pished off with what yer seeing - eg:

"COME ON - SHOW ME THAT YOUR WORTH THAT JERSEY" is a lot more positive than "YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO THAT JERSEY"
or
"COME ON MAN GET YERSELF INTAE THIS GAME" is a lot more constructive than "YOU'RE F***IN PISH!!!"

BroxburnHibee
16-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I've no doubt we'll have some clown on here soon saying De Graaf deserved to be booed and that he pays his way so he can say and do what he likes, etc, etc...

There are a fair few morons watch Hibs I'm afraid.

If we're going to stop the booing then I don't think calling them that will help.

Re the bit in bold - this depends on the player's personality. I remember Joe Tortolano (showing my age) used to get targeted by some morons (showing that this is not a new phenomenom - although it HAS got worse IMO) and sometimes you could see the guy visibly crumple inside. The result in his case was generally that he would try TOO hard and give away a foul or overhit a pass as a result. ie it was blatantly obvious that being booed by elements of his own support adversely affected his game and was therefore detrimental to the team's overall performance.

I'm pretty convinced that Colin Nish has had a few games where he's been less effective after being booed by erseholes in the Hibs support - in his case his frustration is obvious which in turn means that his focus has been distracted.

In the case of De Graaf I would concur with his teammate Dickoh in that he'll probably score a bunch of goals this season as he certainly gets himself into goalscoring positions on a regular basis. The last thing I want to see is him snatching at shots because he's been put off by some bunch of fannies who seem to have lost their way en route to the Panto :bitchy:

I was at a game at Tannadice when some so called fans were booing him during the warm up whenever his name got called out when the line ups were announced. You could see him shaking his head in disbelief at the treatment he was getting (can't remember if he played well although probably unlikely :tee hee:)

I read someone on here, as a justification for his behaviour at games, saying that a player "must be told" that he was playing badly.

I always knew when I was playing well, badly or just getting by. All players do. In fact, most players are their own worst critics.

So the benefits of booing are...? :dunno:

It's often said, and rightly, that confidence is important to a team's performance and results. A team of highly skilled individuals who lack confidence will rarely succeed. A highly motivated and confident side of lesser talented players will often punch above their weight.

Try to imagine/remember playing football with your mates, either a muck about in the park, a game of fives at the Pitz or 11-a-side for an organised amateur side.

The end of the game comes, or you are subbed, and your team mates/manager/ onlookers start booing and shouting that you're sheite, that you should f off and that you don't deserve to get a game.

What would that do to your confidence? How would it affect your team spirit and feelings of loyalty?

Booing is for the pleasure of the person booing. It's selfish, bullying behaviour and is utterly destructive.

I'm gonna try that next time on the golf course :greengrin

Surely if supporters were to show their disaproval of the booers it would die out eventually. We need to demonstrate to the players that we are right behind them and restore a good atmosphere at Easter Road.

:agree:

A lot of noise on here

How about a song

Hopefully we won't have to hear that on Saturday but its a good one. :aok:

Albion Hibs
16-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Cant speak on what happens at other grounds around the country, however, easter road has gone from bad to worse - it is actually a farce. Not only must it effect the players but it generally creates a p%sh supporter environment.

I think we must be one of the worst teams out there for sitting quietly during a good spell and then booing at a misplaced pass.

The_Todd
16-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Absolutely. They need to get their emotion chips removed by the club doctor. All footballers should feel nothing.

This chap's emotion chip got him into all sorts of bother. Things got better when it was removed

http://www.digitalfeedback.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/celebrity-pictures-burton-spiner-emotion-chip4.jpg

BEEJ
16-09-2010, 08:05 PM

....do we just sit quietly in the stands and accept these poor performances week in week out

The secret is to have a wall of continual singing and supportive sound when we're playing well. :flag:

That means we as supporters can then greet the occasional episode of dismal failure with ..... SILENCE!!

Believe it or not the players will be able to understand the difference. They will detect our disappointment without so-called fans having to resort to personal abuse.

So the secret is to get Easter Road into the habit of singing again. And for that (apart from an improved sense of hope and expectation) we're going to need some new songs to mix in with the old favourites.

A lot of noise on here

How about a song

hibbiedon
17-09-2010, 06:27 AM
A lot of noise on here

How about a song

:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

AndersonGGTTH
17-09-2010, 06:31 AM

TBH though are they really booeing the players (well yes ia way) or do they just want yogi to make the OBVIOUS! change when things are going against us:wink:

marinello59
17-09-2010, 07:29 AM
A lot of noise on here

How about a song

CmoantheHibs
17-09-2010, 07:38 AM
A lot of noise on here

How about a song

Think your onto a winner with this.Nice one:agree:

Hibbyradge
17-09-2010, 07:54 AM
The secret is to have a wall of continual singing and supportive sound when we're playing well. :flag:

That means we as supporters can then greet the occasional episode of dismal failure with ..... SILENCE!!

Believe it or not the players will be able to understand the difference. They will detect our disappointment without so-called fans having to resort to personal abuse.

So the secret is to get Easter Road into the habit of singing again. And for that (apart from an improved sense of hope and expectation) we're going to need some new songs to mix in with the old favourites.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/sept20_boo_600x432.jpg

basehibby
17-09-2010, 09:44 AM
A lot of noise on here

How about a song

:top marks However - putting my musical head on might I suggest that "Get tae ****" would scan a lot easier than "**** off home" ???

As chief lyricist it's your call :greengrin

BSEJVT
17-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Havent read the whole thread so forgive me for any duplication.

Firstly I didnt think Hibs were that bad on Saturday, I saw more reasons for optimism that I have for some while.

Secondly and totally setting aside the quality of football on the park for the moment, ER is definitely a less enjoyable experience than it was.

There are some absolute numpties who parade their views to all and sundry about the Manager, Team and individual players week upon week in the wholly mistaken belief that anyone wants to hear their opinion.

I go to the game with a bunch of my mates we discuss our opinions within ourselves, before during and after the game.

Sure there's the odd FFS moment but the continual barracking of the team, manager and players is a real turn off.

There is zero atmosphere against anyone other than Hearts and the OF and the majority of noise is negative.

There are people so biased that if the constant object of their wrath scored a cup final hatrick they would complain about the quality of one lay off but would never give these individuals so much as a nod for their hat trick.

Its no surprise to me that there are more and more inter fan arguments as there are some absolute bell ends amongst our support.

I sat in the East Stand for a change on Saturday and had to move at half time (after a half we had played okay) after listening to the twat behind me complain about everything from the stairs to the pie queue to the manager to every Hibs player on the park ( except Bamba).

It did my nut in, I did think about saying something but thought WTF I am only here for a week.

joebakerforever
17-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Try telling that to the pair of wizened old vultures in row L of the West Stand, behind the home bench who week in week out loudly shout abuse at the home players and demand that they're subbed, usually before half time.

Maybe it's their piles that are playing up, but they give every one in their vicinity earache.

If ever there was a case for euthanasia, this curmudgeonly pair would be at the front of the queue :devil: