PDA

View Full Version : Fans

Twa Cairpets
16-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I was at Ipswich v QPR on Tuesday night. There were just under 20,000 there in a stadium not dissimilar to ours.

With QPR dominating from start to finish, I was ready for abuse to be hurled at the team, especially as I was in the "hard-core" support section, standing behind the goal.

When it went to 2-0 before half-time, I feared the worst. But what actually happened was this. They kept behind the team, kept singing, didnt scream when a pass was misplaced as if it was a personal affront to the support. Half time comes around - the team wasn't booed off the park. Went to the loo at half time, and somehow, the supporters were able to exercise enough self restraint without the need for stewards not to light up a fag or be let out into a smoking pen!

After and hour QPR went three up. Looking round expecting the exodus, no-one left. Literally no-one. I think Ipswich had two half chances all game, but even towards the end, when people did start to drift away with 5 mins to go, the fans were still willing them forward every time they got over half way. At the end, there was no booing, and mostly applause.

Cant see this type of thing catching on.

Antifa Hibs
16-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Thats when it comes down to expectations.

Ipswich and QPR are similar sized clubs I guess? Similar quality of players etc?

We kept getting it drummed into us that we have the 3rd best infrastucture, stadium and training acedemy in the country. The 4th turnover hence the 4th biggest wages in the league. We've made profit 6 years on the trot. So when we're getting told this all the time and then getting humped from St Mirren and Hamilton etc, fans are mighty pissed off.

I can't remember the fans being that bad under Williamson when we were riddled with debt, training at Wardie playing fields, playing up or down a slope and generally utter ******. No-one expected much then.

Phil MaGlass
16-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Ipswich and QPR are similar sized clubs I guess? Similar quality of players etc?

We kept getting it drummed into us that we have the 3rd best infrastucture, stadium and training acedemy in the country. The 4th turnover hence the 4th biggest wages in the league. We've made profit 6 years on the trot. So when we're getting told this all the time and then getting humped from St Mirren and Hamilton etc, fans are mighty pissed off.

I can't remember the fans being that bad under Williamson when we were riddled with debt, training at Wardie playing fields, playing up or down a slope and generally utter ******. No-one expected much then.

dont forget the mighty Ross County and hertz.

DC_Hibs
16-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Ipswich fans sense they are moving in the right direction under Roy Keane so are more tolerant.

basehibby
16-09-2010, 09:35 AM

That's not how I remember things - the fans WERE very critical of Williamson and his "style" of play and many voted with their feet so that the average attendance dropped off quite dramatically under him.

A better analogy would be Hibs under McLeish. In 99/00 - the first season back in the SPL after promotion back from the 1st Division - the backing from the stands was excellent.
REASON? - expectations were pretty low with relegation still fairly fresh in the memory and every point was cherished by the fans. Also it's fair to say that the style of football on display was very attractive, but the 6th place finish was actually greeted very favourably by the fans.

Ten years later it feels like many supporters have forgotten just how bad things can get and tend to act like a spoiled child, chucking the toys out the pram the minute they don't get their own way, rather than being grounded in reality and realising that Hibs never have and never will have any god given right to win football matches, and therefore making the effort to get behind the team and drive them on to success when things aint going according to plan.

Twa Cairpets
16-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Arguably both bigger clubs than us (and everyone else in Scotland outside the OF, and arguable that they always have been in modern times if you look on attendances as a barometer).

Yes, theyre probably similar, but my point was we got beat 3-0 by the hun, and it was boo, hurl abuse at certain players and then leave the ground half an hour early. They lose 3-0 to a similar (albeit much better on the night) team, and the fans didn't act like bairns who've had sweeties removed from their gub.

Sprouleflyer
16-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I was at Ipswich v QPR on Tuesday night. There were just under 20,000 there in a stadium not dissimilar to ours.

With QPR dominating from start to finish, I was ready for abuse to be hurled at the team, especially as I was in the "hard-core" support section, standing behind the goal.

When it went to 2-0 before half-time, I feared the worst. But what actually happened was this. They kept behind the team, kept singing, didnt scream when a pass was misplaced as if it was a personal affront to the support. Half time comes around - the team wasn't booed off the park. Went to the loo at half time, and somehow, the supporters were able to exercise enough self restraint without the need for stewards not to light up a fag or be let out into a smoking pen!

After and hour QPR went three up. Looking round expecting the exodus, no-one left. Literally no-one. I think Ipswich had two half chances all game, but even towards the end, when people did start to drift away with 5 mins to go, the fans were still willing them forward every time they got over half way. At the end, there was no booing, and mostly applause.

Hibs fans were like that when Mowbray was in charge.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 11:21 AM
IMO, I think this is more down to the performances since January/Febuary of this year up until now! That is the reason why people boo. You can't honestly kid yourself for so long thinking that what we watch week in week out is acceptable. There's no fight, we're predictable and we have no pace. I just dont think the attitudes right at the club and that stems from Yogi's nicey nicey approach IMO, sometimes you need to kick a***s and I'm not sure he does that enough, if at all.

I for one don't think we have a god given right for 3/4th spot, however, I do feel with our attendances, infrastructure etc that we should be able to build a team that can mount a challenge for these positions and beat the so called lesser teams like your St Mirrens, Kilmarnocks and Inverness's.

Twa Cairpets
16-09-2010, 12:25 PM
IMO, I think this is more down to the performances since January/Febuary of this year up until now! That is the reason why people boo. You can't honestly kid yourself for so long thinking that what we watch week in week out is acceptable. There's no fight, we're predictable and we have no pace. I just dont think the attitudes right at the club and that stems from Yogi's nicey nicey approach IMO, sometimes you need to kick a***s and I'm not sure he does that enough, if at all.

I for one don't think we have a god given right for 3/4th spot, however, I do feel with our attendances, infrastructure etc that we should be able to build a team that can mount a challenge for these positions and beat the so called lesser teams like your St Mirrens, Kilmarnocks and Inverness's.

I dont necessarily agree with your post, but it isnt the point Im trying to make. My point was that the experience of that game on Tuesday (and if to be honest most of the 40 or 50 games ive been to down south over the last 5-6 years from the premiership to the conference), the fans of the home team have almost always got behind their team regardles of how well theyve done in the game.

The only exceptions were Sheff Wed losing 4-1 at home and hearing 20,000 fans singing "you're not fit to wear the shirt" when the 4th went in, and some truly mental Chesterfield fans losing it when they lost a pre-season friendly to, I think, Bradford.

Golden Bear
16-09-2010, 12:30 PM

:agree:

As I see things.

borstalboy
16-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I dont necessarily agree with your post, but it isnt the point Im trying to make. My point was that the experience of that game on Tuesday (and if to be honest most of the 40 or 50 games ive been to down south over the last 5-6 years from the premiership to the conference), the fans of the home team have almost always got behind their team regardles of how well theyve done in the game.

The only exceptions were Sheff Wed losing 4-1 at home and hearing 20,000 fans singing "you're not fit to wear the shirt" when the 4th went in, and some truly mental Chesterfield fans losing it when they lost a pre-season friendly to, I think, Bradford.

I think it is just a way some people choose to vent there frustrations at what we see on the park. You are correct in saying we should get behind the team, but too many times I tried to be like that last year and we were let down badly the next game week with another poor performance. All I ask for is a bit fo fight, a bit of dig and to show some willingness to win a game. I honestly think crowds react to what happens on the park.

For example, Hibs players looses the ball but hunts after it trying to win it back = Hibs fans appreciate this and help support the team

Look at it the opposite way, Hibs players looses the ball, throws his hands in the air or starts complaining that it was someone elses fault = fans get on players backs.

I seriously think it is all down to the attitude shown on the pitch whether or not the crowd gets right behind there team.

In the Ipswich game, did you think Ipswich fought for everything and never gave up? Not having a go, just want to see how there attitude was.

Hibby Bairn
16-09-2010, 01:17 PM
It is simple. We boo cause the team is playing sheeeeite. We don't win games we should and invariably lose goals late in games that either wipe out a lead, result in a defeat or make a loss heavier.

Caversham Green
16-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I've been thinking much the same as TwoCarpets with regard to Reading. Apart from beating Burton Albion in the league cup they didn't win a single home game between January 27 and November 21 last year and they barely scored any goals in that period. They went from being promotion favourites to serious relegation candidates.

Now I've always considered Reading fans to be a bit plastic, but there was very little booing during or after games and the crowds remained at a fairly constant level throughout. When they beat Blackpool to break the run, they were under the cosh for the last five minutes and the atmosphere was stunning with the whole support getting right behind the team.

I hate to say it, but right now I reckon Reading have a far better support than Hibs.

RIP
16-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Got it in one

Great Stadium
Great Training Centre
Great Bank Balance
Crap Support

A vocal negative minority and a silent majority

Is all lost? I don't think so. We need more 12thMan campaigners. We need more singers moving to Sections 43 and 42. More flags. More songs. More bottle.

Hibby Bairn
16-09-2010, 03:16 PM
More flags. More songs. More bottle.

More goals? :agree:

Golden Bear
16-09-2010, 03:21 PM
More goals? :agree:

And more beer if you please.

bighairyfaeleith
16-09-2010, 03:44 PM
What we need is to win some ****ing games, it's no rocket science.

Imagine being happy at being pish, no me!!

JohnScott
16-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Got it in one

Great Stadium
Great Training Centre
Great Bank Balance
Crap Support

A vocal negative minority and a silent majority

Is all lost? I don't think so. We need more 12thMan campaigners. We need more singers moving to Sections 43 and 42. More flags. More songs. More bottle.

I'm sorry but how do you expect to be taken seriously with statements like: "Crap Support" and "Silent Majority".

Can we assume then your in the majority? If so, can we then assume you give no vocal backing to Hibs yourself? If so, why not? Could it be the totally rubbish football on the park? Or are all the fans total idiots because they can't see how great the team is? I'm sorry, it's just the turgid remarks on here are confusing the hell out of me!

As for the comparison with Ipswich? EH!!! First defeat this season and to a team that's flying at the moment. Wait a couple of months with no further home wins and then see how the Tractor Boys react.

Hibs home crowds have always been a bit OTT with their expectations and yes the past few years I've heard a better atmosphere in a public library. However if you really want things to change you need an exciting team on the park. Oh and to stop being a bloody hypocrite and get on your feet and display this vocal support you pontificate that the team deserves. :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
16-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Norwich get 27 thousand :greengrin

blairwallace
16-09-2010, 04:42 PM

something there doesn't make sense!

i agree with this to be honest, we are hibs supporters we follow and SUPPORT our team, support isn't booing players or moaning about it, it's SUPPORTING your team no mattter what, when De Graaf game off the other day i wasn't a "boo boy" but i applauded him dispite his miss, playing for a 'top league' team isn't easy and moral comes into it too, if your booed every time you touch the football by your own teams supporters where do you get good moral, it's the same on football manager if you treat them like crap they begin to play crap, be good to them and support them and they can become the new messi, so get on football manager ffs yogi!! :grr:

RIP
17-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry but how do you expect to be taken seriously with statements like: "Crap Support" and "Silent Majority".

Can we assume then your in the majority? If so, can we then assume you give no vocal backing to Hibs yourself? If so, why not? Could it be the totally rubbish football on the park?

Oh and to stop being a bloody hypocrite and get on your feet and display this vocal support you pontificate that the team deserves. :thumbsup:

John - come over to the top 10 rows of section 43 and say hello. We might be a small singing section atm but we are growing. I don't support my team BECAUSE of the football on the park.

I support my team because because I am a Hibee

NAE NOOKIE
18-09-2010, 09:21 AM
John - come over to the top 10 rows of section 43 and say hello. We might be a small singing section atm but we are growing. I don't support my team BECAUSE of the football on the park.

I support my team because because I am a Hibee

:top marks