PDA

View Full Version : Neil Orr (Where is he now)

Greentinted
16-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Is the eponymous, once moustachioed maestro, the same chap listed HERE? (http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=514)

If so, he looks like he's getting younger.

There is a point to my asking, not just a random nostalgic meander.

IWasThere2016
16-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Is the eponymous, once moustachioed maestro, the same chap listed HERE? (http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=514)

That's him :agree:

Greentinted
16-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Cheers ta.
I'll be having some of what he's drinking then. :greengrin

sambajustice
16-09-2010, 08:31 AM
good coach. when i went to do some coaching courses, he was taking them. quite a decent guy really.

i also wont use any capital letters in this post!

Stevie Reid
16-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Was a great signing for us, did a similar job to McBride - but with more bite in the tackle, and a bit more drive (if I remember correctly).

Hibernia Na Eir
16-09-2010, 08:47 AM
always thought he gave his all for Hibs. Good player in his day.

Remember being glad when we singed him.

ahibby
16-09-2010, 08:54 AM
He was a West Ham player before he came to us, maybe not directly but he was with them for a time. I was surprised he left, I never knew why he did leave and we seemed to replace him with lesser players. I know he was getting on a bit but I was sure he still had a season or two in him. I rated him highly and was disappointed when he left.

Disc O'Dave
16-09-2010, 08:59 AM
He was a West Ham player before he came to us, maybe not directly but he was with them for a time. I was surprised he left, I never knew why he did leave and we seemed to replace him with lesser players. I know he was getting on a bit but I was sure he still had a season or two in him. I rated him highly and was disappointed when he left.

He was one of my favourite players at the time - he was able to drive a wicked low cross into the box at great pace - if a forward didn't get to it, there was always the chance that any defender would end up pinging it into his own net.

I think he scored in the famous "Andy Goram Goal" game too.

From memory though he was wrongly sent off one game for a "hard but fair" challenge, and always seemed to hold off from those crunching challeges after that.

keep the faith
16-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I remember a chant of "neilly orr- bushy mustache" throughout a game at Hamilton. Sadly that was a chant which didn't quite take off after that.

AB Hibby
16-09-2010, 10:06 AM

He lives in the same town as me in East Lothian - seen him around in his SFA tracksuit. Don't know him personally but I've heard he's an agressively competitive golfer.

EskbankHibby
16-09-2010, 10:29 AM
He lives in the same town as me in East Lothian - seen him around in his SFA tracksuit. Don't know him personally but I've heard he's an agressively competitive golfer.

And sometime golf partner of our own Gareth Evans.

Neil has been working a fair bit with the womens and girls (u17 and u19) Scotland teams over the last wee while as well as the regional stuff. Great guy and an extremely enthusiastic football man.

smurf
16-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Incredible that in his early cabbage form a Scotland call up eluded him. Well maybe not that surprising...:grr:

He was great for us in his first couple of years. David Duff/Jim Gray's first signing at 100K.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Was a great signing for us, did a similar job to McBride - but with more bite in the tackle, and a bit more drive (if I remember correctly).

Have to disagree I'm afraid, WAS a decent player before he came to us and did nothing of note I can remember apart from scoring a beauty against the sheep IIRC

HibbyAndy
16-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Thats scary, He looks younger now than when he did with hibs 20 years ago!!!!

****in el :hilarious

ballengeich
16-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Always rated him as a player, going back to his early days with Morton. Unlucky never to play for Scotland imo.

I also remember reading that he was never put up to be interviewed after games because his vocabulary is so extensive that Scottish journalists (and Chick Young) had to consult a dictionary to understand what he was saying.

fat freddy
16-09-2010, 05:22 PM
i remember he scored on his debut against queen of the south in a league cup match...a 12 yard drive that left the keeper helpless...the first hibs player to wear those elastic long shorts under his shorts that became very popular for a brief period at the end of the eighties..

KeithTheHibby
16-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Neil Orr square baw...got a Skol Cup winners medal too.

Springbank
16-09-2010, 08:11 PM
myself and a few others were big fans of N.O., even labelling ourselves the Orr-ites.

We were young, it seemed amusing at the time :bitchy:

He was a pretty effective enforcer and had been in the West Ham team that finished 2nd in the English top flight in 1986, a smart signing at the time.

Davy Mac
17-09-2010, 06:15 AM

Played against Neil quite a few times at Golf.

Incredibly difficult to beat at North Berwick, competitive and a born winner but not agressive.

He used to partner a guy in the East Lothian Winter League and they never got beat for about 5 years, decent guy and very comfortable talking about Hibs.

ano hibby
17-09-2010, 06:52 AM
good coach. when i went to do some coaching courses, he was taking them. quite a decent guy really.

i also wont use any capital letters in this post!

Taught me on a course also, was a sound bloke:agree:

aberhibsfc
17-09-2010, 10:41 AM
:top marks

aka Benjamin Button.

Hal Jordan
17-09-2010, 10:49 AM
My wee sister used to fancy him.

big-mo
17-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Neil works along side Keith, Keith, Keith and can sometimes be seen at Hibs U19 games.

Stevie Reid
17-09-2010, 11:06 AM
i'm pretty sure that his debut goal was actually a sliding tackle-style finish too.

Eaststand
17-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Neil and Keith Keith Keith worked beside me in Dalkeith at Midlothian Council for a few years as football development officers, ( those jobs were SFA sponsored)

Neil was good for our football team playing a steady role keeping posession and playing the simple pass. He's a really sound fella (as is Keith of course) and loads of the lassies in our office fancied Neil big time.

GGTTH

HibbyAndy
17-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Neil and Keith Keith Keith worked beside me in Dalkeith at Midlothian Council for a few years as football development oficers, and the jobs were SFA sponsored.

Neil was good for our team in a steady role keeping posession and playing the simple pass. He's a really sound fella (as is Keith of course) and loads of the lassies in our office fancied Neil big time.

GGTTH

Same jobs now in Penicuik.

Eaststand
17-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I was fairly sure Keith was working for the Cooncil based at the old town hall in Penicuik, but I've not heard anything about Neil for a while so wasn't too sure about him

GGTTH

Same jobs now in Penicuik.

G15 Hibs
17-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Thats scary, He looks younger now than when he did with hibs 20 years ago!!!!

****in el :hilarious

must have a portrait of himself in the attic...

cad
17-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Top bloke played him in the Champ of Champs years ago (sneaked it at the last )
all we talked about was The Glorious and his time at The Hammers .
He was a far better golfer than me ,and I was lucky to beat him, but a nicer guy you couldn't wish to play a round of golf with .

Speedway
13-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I remember when he back heeled a goal bound shot over the bar in the best goal line clearance I've ever seen.

It was against the buddies at ER. Budgie's first game IIRC.

Davie Gay was in charge of Buddies.

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Someone on here said a few months back that he had moved to Australia.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-06-2013, 07:46 PM
That's him :agree:

Am I missing something?

Where aboot? :confused:

Can't see his photo on this..

seanshow
13-06-2013, 09:27 PM
ffs who dug up the old thread from 3 years ago lol

....ooops ive just kept it going :greengrin

Drem
13-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Anybody know what Gareth Evans is doing just now and has he found another club yet.

IWasThere2016
13-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Am I missing something?

Where aboot? :confused:

Can't see his photo on this..

I'm guessing :wink: that in the 3 years between my post and yours that the website may have been updated :wink:

SJNB Hibby
13-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Someone on here said a few months back that he had moved to Australia.

Somebody must have drove him home tonight:confused:

Graham Law
14-06-2013, 05:19 PM
He is living in Canberra - great guy

I coached his boy Kevin last year in Newcastle so had the honour of meeting Neil and he is a lovely gent who speaks very foundly of the hibees and brought his lad Kevin up as a hibee also ....

.Sean.
14-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Though he'd moved to Australia?

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Though he'd moved to Australia?

Do try and keep up!