PDA

View Full Version : Steve Archibald

HH81
15-09-2010, 05:27 PM
How good was he for Hibs? I'm not old enough to have seen him play for Hibs so was he a decent player?

Just spent over a week on holiday with his brother who was a first class chap :thumbsup:

Started speaking to him after he saw I had a hibs top on round the pool and from there me and the Mrs had a right laugh with him and his Mrs.

E.T. is a Hibee
15-09-2010, 05:30 PM
How good was he for Hibs? I'm not old enough to have seen him play for Hibs so was he a decent player?

Just spent over a week on holiday with his brother who was a first class chap :thumbsup:

Started speaking to him after he saw I had a hibs top on round the pool and from there me and the Mrs had a right laugh with him and his Mrs.

The guy was "pure" class and IIRC some of the matches he played in you could visably see he was streets ahead of everyone on the park, plus he wanted to play for us!

I'm_cabbaged
15-09-2010, 05:31 PM

A class above was SA, would've been even better for us if we had players that were on the same level as him, a bit like Kenny Dalglish with Scotland. :agree:

Barney McGrew
15-09-2010, 05:32 PM
He scored my favourite ever Hibs goal

The Archiegoal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE)

:not worth:

Bostonhibby
15-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Another one who despite being later in his career when he joined us was just quality on ond of the pitch, class is timeless and he genuinely wanted to do well for us and spoke about us in those terms then and since, great football man and scored a few crackers, I remember one quality strike in a win over Celtc

I'm_cabbaged
15-09-2010, 05:35 PM

2-0 victory with ten men for about 80 minutes. :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
15-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Archibald was class! :agree:

E.T. is a Hibee
15-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Another one who despite being later in his career when he joined us was just quality on ond of the pitch, class is timeless and he genuinely wanted to do well for us and spoke about us in those terms then and since, great football man and scored a few crackers, I remember one quality strike in a win over Celtc

I wonder when we will ever have a player like that in the team again?

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-09-2010, 05:37 PM

A great goal and possibly the last time I ever went to that ****hole of a ground, they scored almost right after that goal IIRC and Crabbe missed a sitter right at the death that would have claimed an unlikely point that night

Barney McGrew
15-09-2010, 05:39 PM
they scored almost right after that goal IIRC and Crabbe missed a sitter right at the death that would have claimed an unlikely point that night

After the ref had added on about fifteen minutes of injury time.

Classic game, Gordon Rae was sent off early doors IIRC and it was pishing down with rain. Archie's shot was right in line with where we were standing, we could see it was in from the minute it left his boot.

I'm_cabbaged
15-09-2010, 05:40 PM
A great goal and possibly the last time I ever went to that ****hole of a ground, they scored almost right after that goal IIRC and Crabbe missed a sitter right at the death that would have claimed an unlikely point that night

Cannae mind of them scoring :greengrin
Was the game that Rae got sent off was it no? Kano scoring the first.

YehButNoBut
15-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Quality player, had the best first touch I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
15-09-2010, 05:50 PM
2-0 victory with ten men for about 80 minutes. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I was there :thumbsup:

fat freddy
15-09-2010, 06:03 PM
although he was deemed to be 'old' when he arrived he was only 32...by todays standards he'd be in his prime...16 goals in his first season got us into europe as well as a semi in the scottish cup were he scored in a 3.1 defeat to celtic the day after the hillsboro disaster...i recall that he played up front beside kano for most of his time and his one blemish might have been a penalty miss against aberdeen in the league cup...he never took a run up,which was unheard of back then,and he casually stroked the ball against the bar...an infuriating miss on a night when hibs really deserved to win.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2010, 06:07 PM
When you think about it what a coup for Miller
Last player that will swap barca for the hibees
Clearly on a different level oozed class
Was there not a bit of a fallout in the end over being on the bench or subbed at love st?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2010, 06:11 PM
although he was deemed to be 'old' when he arrived he was only 32...by todays standards he'd be in his prime...16 goals in his first season got us into europe as well as a semi in the scottish cup were he scored in a 3.1 defeat to celtic the day after the hillsboro disaster...i recall that he played up front beside kano for most of his time and his one blemish might have been a penalty miss against aberdeen in the league cup...he never took a run up,which was unheard of back then,and he casually stroked the ball against the bar...an infuriating miss on a night when hibs really deserved to win.

I remember that semi - my first. Only one word for it shellshocked the goals just seemed lik bang bang bang. Was it not the debut of a certain ugly player for th tic ? Nightmare coming home along the m8 stuck with the weeg in traffic. That goal the only consellation

truehibernian
15-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Very clever footballer and his football brain was always two steps ahead of everyone else in the side. Sometimes looked disinterested for periods of the game but then with the flick of a boot his class just shone through. Spurs got the best out of him and he was the nearest to a Denis Law type Scotland had in the 80's. Good good player for Hibs.

truehibernian
15-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I remember that semi - my first. Only one word for it shellshocked the goals just seemed lik bang bang bang. Was it not the debut of a certain ugly player for th tic ? Nightmare coming home along the m8 stuck with the weeg in traffic. That goal the only consellation

Groan - was at that game and I couldn't believe we went 3-0 down so quick, especially after playing not bad. If memory serves me right even Mick fing McCarthy scored did he not ? Second half was like a training game.....depressing :boo hoo:

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Groan - was at that game and I couldn't believe we went 3-0 down so quick, especially after playing not bad. If memory serves me right even Mick fing McCarthy scored did he not ? Second half was like a training game.....depressing :boo hoo:

depressing indeed I moped around with a black cloud over my head for 2 weeks after that - nightmare sad but true.

Baldy Foghorn
15-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Great memory Barney, I remember being cold and wet, but the away end went bananas when Archie scored..... Remember they nearly equalised, I thought it was Donkey Dave, but someone else quoted Crabbe.... Still a great win.....:greengrin

Spike Mandela
15-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Near the end of his time at Hibs I remember a great headline in the press "Hibs hail heroes, Archie hails taxi..."

If i recall correctly he turned up at a game in Motherwell to be told he wasn't playing and promptly hailed a taxi all the way from Motherwell back to Edinburgh.

Big Frank
15-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Great memory Barney, I remember being cold and wet, but the away end went bananas when Archie scored..... Remember they nearly equalised, I thought it was Donkey Dave, but someone else quoted Crabbe.... Still a great win.....:greengrin

Agree wi Barney. Quality goal. Mind it like it was yesterday:agree: I was right behind the goal half way up the terrace................. tynecastle erupted in green white and gold:greengrin

Matty_Jack04
15-09-2010, 07:12 PM
My old man carried a cut out of a pic off that goal against the hearts in his wallet for years, missed a lads trip away with a burst leg went to the game instead ....never tire of hearing the tales :bitchy:

wish i could mind him playing

heretoday
15-09-2010, 07:14 PM
He scored against Celtic that same season at ER. He did well for Hibs.

DC_Hibs
15-09-2010, 07:27 PM
It was ratboy Allan Moore who missed the chance to equliase in injury time. There were very few Gorgie sl@gs left in the ground to see Donkey Dave making it 1-2 just before that.

Archiegol would be deemed irrelevant if they had equalized - thank **** they never though as its one of my favourite goals as well and probably best celebration!

Fat Stu
15-09-2010, 07:29 PM
:thumbsup: I was there :thumbsup:

so wis I, but i was just a nipper. Get slagged off my mates because this is my earliest hibs memory and I mention it every time I see that goal.

Baldy Foghorn
15-09-2010, 07:30 PM
It was ratboy Allan Moore who missed the chance to equliase in injury time. There were very few Gorgie sl@gs left in the ground to see Donkey Dave making it 1-2 just before that.

Archiegol would be deemed irrelevant if they had equalized - thank **** they never though as its one of my favourite goals as well and probably best celebration!

Ratboy Moore how could I have forgotten that:wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-09-2010, 07:32 PM
As a forward player, his positional sense was exceptional and he was a real bit of quality, both on and off the park. Plenty happy memories re-living that goal. Also remember him being a stand out when we turned Celtic over 3-1 at ER.:thumbsup:

DC_Hibs
15-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Ratboy Moore how could I have forgotten that:wink:

Similarities with the game where Pressley missed a great chance late on after O'Connors 90th minute winner against them at ER when Brebner was ridiculously sent off.

Another classic that might not have been!

tamig
15-09-2010, 09:31 PM
As a forward player, his positional sense was exceptional and he was a real bit of quality, both on and off the park. Plenty happy memories re-living that goal. Also remember him being a stand out when we turned Celtic over 3-1 at ER.:thumbsup:

Think Gareth Evans scored a couple in that Celtic game too. Were we not 2-0 up after about 10 minutes?

sambajustice
16-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Think Gareth Evans scored a couple in that Celtic game too. Were we not 2-0 up after about 10 minutes?

Alan ROugh was in goal for Celtic that day i'm sure...

Was it not Keith Houchen that scored in the 3-1 semi final defeat...???

Viva_Palmeiras
16-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Alan ROugh was in goal for Celtic that day i'm sure...

Was it not Keith Houchen that scored in the 3-1 semi final defeat...???

Versus Celtic ? No def Archie

BT58
16-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I was told a story about SA turning up to
training,, driving a rolls Royce ,,,
I know he was rich, but I never ever found out
wether this story was true
is it true or what????

PaulSmith
16-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Was the ref not Crombie? A well know Heart's fan....

Nope, I dont think he ever ref'd an Edin derby.

thebakerboy
16-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I was told a story about SA turning up to
training,, driving a rolls Royce ,,,
I know he was rich, but I never ever found out
wether this story was true
is it true or what????

It was true he had a gold or bronze roller and lived in a large house opposite the Kings Buildings , remember the Hearts game well he held the ball up and controlled the game after Big Gogs got sent off definately his best game for us.:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Nope, I dont think he ever ref'd an Edin derby.

Yes it was Crombie on the night, a well known yam who was a member of the Centurion pub yam supporters club, you can see him looking over at the linesman in a desperate hope that Archie was offside...nae luck son eh?

allezsauzee
16-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes it was Crombie on the night, a well known yam who was a member of the Centurion pub yam supporters club, you can see him looking over at the linesman in a desperate hope that Archie was offside...nae luck son eh?

to be fair to Bill Crombie, I'm sure it was him that denied Hearts a penalty in Albert Kidd's greatest game ...makes it that much sweeter :wink:

Stevie Reid
16-09-2010, 08:44 AM

Archie scored 2 and Evans scored the 3rd - we were 3-0 at half time. Andy Walker scored in the second half for Celtic.

Pretty sure Psyclops got away with a stonewaller on McAvennie in the early stages too.

Steve-O
16-09-2010, 08:54 AM

Sure about that? I seen him play and I'm younger than you :greengrin

basehibby
16-09-2010, 08:55 AM

You don't recall correctly in this instance - Gareth Evans (our current reserve team coach) partnered Archie-Goals up front, supplying the pace to complement Archie's sublime touch. Kano was the engine room in midfield.

Got to say that Archie stood out head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch in his time at Hibs - the step up in ability was palpable in a similar vein to Franck Sauzee in more recent times - the guy oozed class basically.

Stevie Reid
16-09-2010, 08:57 AM
You don't recall correctly in this instance - Gareth Evans (our current reserve team coach) partnered Archie-Goals up front, supplying the pace to complement Archie's sublime touch. Kano was the engine room in midfield.

Got to say that Archie stood out head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch in his time at Hibs - the step up in ability was palpable in a similar vein to Franck Sauzee in more recent times - the guy oozed class basically.

Kano also made a switch to right back in Archie's 2nd season at ER - and very good he was too.

Phil MaGlass
16-09-2010, 09:16 AM

That was a game to remember.

Weve had Sauzee, Best and Archie, i would even put Jim Leighton and JCollins in there aswell.

1875 NO 1
16-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Top class player.

His goals in his first season got us back in europe. Alex Miller couldn't cope with his status and wouldn't play him. First game back he scored that looping header down the slope against the sucm.

I remember he wanted to use the exec box in the main stand as his parents were coming to watch him. Jim Gray wouldn't let him, even wouldn't let him pay to use them.

As far that goal at the gorgie farm, best bounce ever. After the game the team were in cafe noir and had the pleasure the meet him.

Joe's ice cream
16-09-2010, 11:14 AM
My old man carried a cut out of a pic off that goal against the hearts in his wallet for years, missed a lads trip away with a burst leg went to the game instead ....never tire of hearing the tales :bitchy:

wish i could mind him playing

One of the best football pictures i ever got was taken from behind him as he celbrated the goal infrot of us in the old away end.
As said by otheres one of my all time fav goals and game as a Hibs fan

MrSmith
16-09-2010, 11:19 AM
It was true he had a gold or bronze roller and lived in a large house opposite the Kings Buildings , remember the Hearts game well he held the ball up and controlled the game after Big Gogs got sent off definately his best game for us.:greengrin

Spot on! Cumming Place if I recall correctly. Edit: Actually Esslemont Road.

He used to bring his gold and bronze roller into Causewayside Service Station, where I worked in the 80's, to fill it up. Very nice genuine person who was gutted to be leaving Hibs. It was a definite clash with Miller.

Peevemor
16-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I always fancied him as Hibs manager. He did great things at East Fife, getting them promoted to the 1st division before falling out with the board (who refused to go full time). He also managed to attract quite a few decent foreigners to Scairdrie before his bid to but the club was ultimately refused.

rubber mal
16-09-2010, 12:10 PM

I remember my first semi too. It was great.:greengrin

CalgaryHibs
16-09-2010, 12:43 PM
He also played for FCBarcelona! Steve now lives in Barca and works for BARCATV along side Nic Simmons who does the play bye play.

VAMOS BARCA!!!

MON THE HIBS!!

fat freddy
16-09-2010, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=basehibby;2577770]You don't recall correctly in this instance - Gareth Evans (our current reserve team coach) partnered Archie-Goals up front, supplying the pace to complement Archie's sublime touch. Kano was the engine room in midfield.

the mists of time have obviously impaired my memory,not to mention the half ounce of soapbar per week that i smoked throughout the eighties, nineties and early noughties(happily free now thanks to allan carr...see other thread on smoking)...i seem to remember that kano played three different positions in three consecutive seasons,right back,midfield and centre forward...i thought that his season up front was alongside archie but i bow to your better memory although i always thought of gareth (green knees) evans as more of a squad player and not really a first pick if everyone was fit...

smurf
16-09-2010, 01:53 PM
One of my favourite ever players in a Hibs jersey.

THAT goal at Tynie was the absolute highlight of his too short ER career.

If memory serves me correctly i think Alex Miller had difficulty man managing such an ego.

erin go bragh
16-09-2010, 02:16 PM
pure class he was and he knocked back liverpool to sign for the famous hibernian from barcalona :top marks[after he scored that goal at the pbs ,then just stood there with his arms aloft as us hibbys went mental .:top marksalso when we were humping celtic 3 nil at halftime[and sang happybirthday to you]on thir 100th year .
how good was that[the east was rocking

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Spot on! Cumming Place if I recall correctly. Edit: Actually Esslemont Road.

It was a definite clash with Miller.

Miller was a prick..please don't mention his name again!

:wink:

vantango79
16-09-2010, 04:59 PM
anybody remember his goal v hearts at easter road
when he wasnt lookin and the ball hit of his napper
and over the goalie, i think it finished i each and was when we just opened up the seating for the booker cash and carry bit in the bottom of
the main stand,
i remember the goodie bags they were giving away that day too:agree:

The Silver Fox
16-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I wondered what all the uss was about.....then I went to Tynecastle and he stle the show. He had that something that was different to the rest, he had a top career and was treat to have seen him in a Hibs jersey.

Obviously way short of Best in terms of talent but the difference was Archibald still had it when he was at Hibs.

stanton_4
16-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Archie was simply fantastic at Hibs. I was one of those who questioned having him but he soon won me over. His first touch was sublime and his finishing was wonderful.

tanfield
16-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Donkey Dave got a goal back a few mins later and it was Allan Moore who missed a sitter a minute later!

The biggest Hibs support I have been in at Tynie:thumbsup:

Brilliant sways after Archie's goal

tanfield
16-09-2010, 09:33 PM
and over the goalie, i think it finished i each and was when we just opened up the seating for the booker cash and carry bit in the bottom of
the main stand,

Remember that goal now. Classic:greengrin

tanfield
16-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Pretty sure Psyclops got away with a stonewaller on McAvennie in the early stages too.[/QUOTE]

:agree:

LaMotta
16-09-2010, 10:06 PM
the main stand,

I got the goodie bag too - had a wee mini leather football in it with Booker on the side that was ideal for the playground:thumbsup:

That game was also featured on Blue Peter, covering John Leslie's day at the game.

blueisthecolour
16-09-2010, 10:36 PM

Im glad you started this thread, it has some interesting reading for me as he is a family member of mine.

heretoday
16-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Archibald was a talented player who relied overmuch on the efforts of others!

What a goal at Tynie though. He got a cracker against Celtic at ER as well I recall.

Baader
17-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Fantastic player and a real class act.

Loved that effortless style he had due to being so good, touch and vision.

Would have 4 times the amount of caps he won if Scotland had a player like him now.

Stevie Reid
17-09-2010, 11:01 AM
the main stand,

Was that also the game that he hit the post with a thumping last minute free kick?

HH81
17-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Im glad you started this thread, it has some interesting reading for me as he is a family member of mine.

:hmmm:So you might know this guy that I spoke to on Holiday?

MSK
17-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Archibald was class! :agree::agree:..had everything ..power.. strength ..skill ..finishing ..

blueisthecolour
18-09-2010, 10:57 AM
:hmmm:So you might know this guy that I spoke to on Holiday?

Only see them at funerals now he a good bit older than me, my dad know them alot better, his cousins,