PDA

View Full Version : Evander Sno

Sauzee7062
13-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Suffers heart attack.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/09/13/2116872/breaking-news-ex-celtic-and-bristol-city-midfielder-evander

Wotherspiniesta
13-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Scary stuff. :bitchy:

Wish him a speedy recovery.

bobbyhibs1983
13-09-2010, 08:58 PM
as the poster above has said it is indeed scary.But this isn't a first, haven't there been 4-5 cases in the last few years(in the last 2-3 years) of this sorta thing?i'm, sure there was some guy that died in africa or something from something like a heart atack or something similar.

and that motherwell player(phil o donnel?(sp))

Im sure there was sometihng like getting all players tested forsome like heart/lungs i dunno the word like heart/lunk stuff to see if they could detect anything before it become life threatening

Sylar
13-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Copious examples of players who have suffered heart attacks whilst playing and subsequently died - the most famous examples:

Marc Viven Foe - died on International duty for Cameroon against Colombia.

Miklos Feher - died as a result of cardiac arrest whilst playing for Benfica against Vittoria

Serginho - died whilst playing a league match in Brazil

Matt Gadsby - died of sudden cardiac failure from an undetected heart defect, whilst playing a Conference league game.

Antonio Puerta - died whilst playing for Sevilla vs Getafe from an undetected cardiomyopathy, resulting in SEVERAL cardiac arrests - I remember watching this one live, and it was a truly horrible moment.

Phil O'Donnell - died playing for Motherwell vs Dundee United.

These are just some of the more well known examples:

An entire list of players who have died whilst playing is found below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_who_died_while_playing

If I recall correctly, I'm sure the Italian FA have made cardiac screening a compulsory aspect of any medicals for youth players signing on with senior clubs.

Jamesie
13-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I am not a doctor and know very little about physiology, but it strikes me these kind of cases have become more prevalent in recent years and as the physical demands on players have increased with more and more games.

Could there be a link between the two - would "overdoing" it have much the same effect as "underdoing" it in terms of exercise? :confused:

Mon1875
13-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Dutch friend of mine has said that he's doing well and is out of the coma and breathing on his own. Hope he continues to recover :agree:

Brando7
13-09-2010, 09:43 PM
get well soon

Hibercelona
13-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Just goes to show that pushing yourself too hard can be just as bad for your health as doing nothing at all.

Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery.

ScottB
13-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I am not a doctor and know very little about physiology, but it strikes me these kind of cases have become more prevalent in recent years and as the physical demands on players have increased with more and more games.

Could there be a link between the two - would "overdoing" it have much the same effect as "underdoing" it in terms of exercise? :confused:

Probably more that there is simply many more footballers than ever before. So if it only happens to 0.1% of them, the overall increase in players accounts for the increase in deaths without it becoming proportionately more common.

It's best described as sudden death syndrome isn't it? Undetectable till the sudden moment that the heart just goes.

Very sad and wish Evander a full and speedy recovery!

Twiglet
13-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Probably more that there is simply many more footballers than ever before. So if it only happens to 0.1% of them, the overall increase in players accounts for the increase in deaths without it becoming proportionately more common.

It's best described as sudden death syndrome isn't it? Undetectable till the sudden moment that the heart just goes.

Very sad and wish Evander a full and speedy recovery!

I think you're right.

This is an undetectedx condition that may not have been picked up in medicals. however, it can happen to anyone, not just professional athletes. I know someone who played amateur rugby who suddenly died. he didn't over exercise, it was about moderate for someone who plays for their local sports team.

It can happen to anyone, at any time, completely out of the blue and is so shocking when it does happen.

Sylar
14-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Dutch friend of mine has said that he's doing well and is out of the coma and breathing on his own. Hope he continues to recover :agree:

Good to hear, and I echo your sentiments about recovery, but I'm willing to bet his football career is done.

IWasThere2016
14-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Good luck to him - that must have been a terrifying experience!