PDA

View Full Version : Sir Alex saying Hibs have a healthy attitude on bringing through youngsters.

HFC 0-7
13-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Just heard on SSN Alex ferguson talking about the importance of bringing through youth and have a good youth base. He mentioned Hibs in a positive light by bringing through our youngsters over the past few years.

Hibs must be doing something right if Sir Alex knows that we are bringing through good youngsters. Maybe someone should tell Yogi to start playing them!

Spike Mandela
13-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Just heard on SSN Alex ferguson talking about the importance of bringing through youth and have a good youth base. He mentioned Hibs in a positive light by bringing through our youngsters over the past few years.

Hibs must be doing something right if Sir Alex knows that we are bringing through good youngsters. Maybe someone should tell Yogi to start playing them!

High praise indeed:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
13-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Let's hope that the production line continues to produce talented players ------ and they're given their chance!!

ShanksSaidNo
13-09-2010, 01:34 PM

The great big red puss that is Sir Alex mentioned Hibs in an interview... pwoud vewy pwoud indeed!

Phil D. Rolls
13-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Who knows what Fergie is up to? He could be playing mind games with Uncle Walter, reminding him that none of his squad came through the ranks, and that he had to plunder a wee team like Hibs for players.

Pwetty fascinating stuff, pwobably.

houston1875
13-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Who knows what Fergie is up to? He could be playing mind games with Uncle Walter, reminding him that none of his squad came through the ranks, and that he had to plunder a wee team like Hibs for players.

Good point

HFC 0-7
13-09-2010, 01:44 PM

He was actually talking about Man Utd and how they are building for the next 8 seasons by bringing through youth players and talking about how important that is. He then went on to talk about, after being asked, how Rangers and Scottish teams in general would fair going forward because of their coefficient. He never said they would do well or not, just started talking about how rangers have a decent squad of scottish players in their ranks, then went on to talk about hiw hibs are doing the right thing in bringing through players.

the difference between Man Utd and Hibs when it comes to youth (apart from the standard) is that they will keep them if they are good, we wont.

CmoantheHibs
13-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Man Utd have the opportunity to keep th youngsters they bring through as they are one of the richest clubs in the world.Hibs do not but it is still the best way forward for us.We, as supporters may not like it, but it helps us as a club no end and in the long run will see us prosper.

Wotherspiniesta
14-09-2010, 01:08 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-says-Hibs.6529666.jp

Some direct quotes from the man himself:

"I know Hibs work very hard on developing young players."

"Hibs have a very healthy attitude when it comes to young players and have produced a few really good ones in the last five or six years"

:cb

TheUsualSuspect
14-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Maybe he knows Yogi's time is short and doing all the sweet talk to the press so he can land the Hibs job :greengrin:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
14-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Maybe he knows Yogi's time is short and doing all the sweet talk to the press so he can land the Hibs job :greengrin:greengrin

never hibs class!!

Kaiser1962
14-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Think of the abuse he would get. His team cant hold a two goal lead with two minutes to go! Hun bassa GTF.........................:greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
14-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Are they really as good as we're all led to believe???

Green Mikey
14-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Are they really as good as we're all led to believe???

Do you mean Hibs youngsters? There is a long list from recent years...Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Riordan, Whittaker. Recently we have have brought through Wotherspoon and Hanlon who are comfortable in the SPL and both play for Scotland U21s.

I don't think anyone has led me to believe these players are good...I've seen them play myself!

Hibby Bairn
14-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Do you mean Hibs youngsters? There is a long list from recent years...Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Riordan, Whittaker. Recently we have have brought through Wotherspoon and Hanlon who are comfortable in the SPL and both play for Scotland U21s.

I don't think anyone has led me to believe these players are good...I've seen them play myself!

:agree: All 6 listed are full Scotland internationals. Wotherspoon and Hanlon will hopefully go onto that as well.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh dear. Our friends from across the road won't like this. Mind you, they'll console themselves by saying Sir Alex knows nothing about football to justify their delusions of grandeur.

Spike Mandela
14-09-2010, 11:54 AM
:agree: All 6 listed are full Scotland internationals. Wotherspoon and Hanlon will hopefully go onto that as well.

Not very good foresight from Yogi loaning out Kurtis Byrne and having to sign a 31yr old till end of season, or has the young talent dried up?

Twiglet
14-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Aye. Maybe Fergie's after a nice wee quiet job for his retirment. ;-P

patlowe
14-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Without taking anything away from our achievements in recent years in bringing through youngsters, I reckon Sir Alex was just trying to say something positive about the Scottish game. I doubt if he has any real insight into what's happening in Scottish football, he probably doesn't have the time or concern.

silverhibee
14-09-2010, 12:44 PM
His brother was Hibs scout a number of years ago for Hibs.

shamo9
14-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Not very good foresight from Yogi loaning out Kurtis Byrne and having to sign a 31yr old till end of season, or has the young talent dried up?

Or maybe, just maybe, he's one of the few individuals that can actually look at the bigger picture. We can have a ready made experienced striker right here, right now who's old enough to take stick on the chin and plug the weaknesses in our time for a year. While that's happening we've got guys like Booth, Moyes and Bryne playing and thriving at lower league clubs where they can mature both as men and footballers.

Fast forward to January and we'll have a number of hungry young players who now have a bit of confidence and experience of playing first team football. They'll be ready to help our threadbare squad at a time when injuries and suspensions really start to hit. Potentially, this injection of fresh blood could give us all a lift.

Throw kids in the deep end and they'll either sink or swim.
Let the kids practice in the shallows for a little bit and they'll be jumping into the deep end themselves within no time. It's a no risk method.

Oh, and maybe guys like Dickoh and this new striker, rather than hinder, might actually be able to teach the kids a thing or two

1875er
14-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Let the kids practice in the shallows for a little bit and they'll be jumping into the deep end themselves within no time. It's a no risk method.

Great post and analogy Shamo.... couldn't agree more.

one day maybe...
14-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, he's one of the few individuals that can actually look at the bigger picture. We can have a ready made experienced striker right here, right now who's old enough to take stick on the chin and plug the weaknesses in our time for a year. While that's happening we've got guys like Booth, Moyes and Bryne playing and thriving at lower league clubs where they can mature both as men and footballers.

Fast forward to January and we'll have a number of hungry young players who now have a bit of confidence and experience of playing first team football. They'll be ready to help our threadbare squad at a time when injuries and suspensions really start to hit. Potentially, this injection of fresh blood could give us all a lift.

Oh, and maybe guys like Dickoh and this new striker, rather than hinder, might actually be able to teach the kids a thing or two

Well said that man, the young guys don't have what it takes yet. In this cut throat blood thirsty for success stupid 12 team league of ours (should be 16 -18 teams playing each other twice and we may see more young players coming through from all teams IMO), so why bring them in slate them for having bad games, boo them, wreck their self believe when most likely they may not be able to withstand the treatment the Hibs fans dish out to there own.
Let them develop and hopefully Hibs will benefit from them being loaned out and learning their trade at clubs where the fans may actually be glad of their services..

HFC 0-7
14-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Well said that man, the young guys don't have what it takes yet. In this cut throat blood thirsty for success stupid 12 team league of ours (should be 16 -18 teams playing each other twice and we may see more young players coming through from all teams IMO), so why bring them in slate them for having bad games, boo them, wreck their self believe when most likely they may not be able to withstand the treatment the Hibs fans dish out to there own.
Let them develop and hopefully Hibs will benefit from them being loaned out and learning their trade at clubs where the fans may actually be glad of their services..

Have to disagree with some of your points there. Look at wotherspoon, he has had a couple of bad games but he is escaping the wrath of the fans. The young players are about the only players that the fans give a bit of slack when bad games come along. the fans understand that these guys are still learning, its the older guys that the fans wont tolerate bad games from as they should know better.

Hibs throwing youngsters in at the deep end is something we have always done with success.

David Wotherspoon (Never Loaned Out)
Paul Hanlon (Loaned out for 2 games)
Garry O'Connor (Loaned out for 4 games) Sold for 1.6 Million
Derek Riordan (Loaned out for 2 games)
Scott Brown (Never loaned Out) Sold For 4.4 Million
Kevin Thomson (Never Loaned Out) Sold For 2 Million
Steven Fletcher (Never Loaned Out) Sold for 3 Million
Steven Whittaker (never Loaned Out) Sold for 2 Million?

one day maybe...
14-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Have to disagree with some of your points there. Look at wotherspoon, he has had a couple of bad games but he is escaping the wrath of the fans. The young players are about the only players that the fans give a bit of slack when bad games come along. the fans understand that these guys are still learning, its the older guys that the fans wont tolerate bad games from as they should know better.

Hibs throwing youngsters in at the deep end is something we have always done with success.

David Wotherspoon (Never Loaned Out)
Paul Hanlon (Loaned out for 2 games)
Garry O'Connor (Loaned out for 4 games) Sold for 1.6 Million
Derek Riordan (Loaned out for 2 games)
Scott Brown (Never loaned Out) Sold For 4.4 Million
Kevin Thomson (Never Loaned Out) Sold For 2 Million
Steven Fletcher (Never Loaned Out) Sold for 3 Million
Steven Whittaker (never Loaned Out) Sold for 2 Million?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Hibs playing a saeson with just 8 good seasoned professionals on their books and the rest being 23 or under, the ones above you mention from garry down to whittaker were exceptional and if we had had board willing to invest in that team we could have maybe been pushing for the league, but as it stands we will continue to sell players. i hope Byrne, Moyes, Booth all become regulars at ER but at the moment we have a manager who won't play them, so they are better loaned out.

down-the-slope
14-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I hope someone from Hibs is on the blower pronto to Sir Alex to say thank you for his kind words........and let him know we would be more than happy to assist in developing some for Man U.......'yes Mr & Mrs Parent of next great talent...the mighty Man U want your boy.....part of our programme is spending a couple of years at the aclaimed East Mains...we will make the arrangements right away' :greengrin

HFC 0-7
14-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Hibs playing a saeson with just 8 good seasoned professionals on their books and the rest being 23 or under, the ones above you mention from garry down to whittaker were exceptional and if we had had board willing to invest in that team we could have maybe been pushing for the league, but as it stands we will continue to sell players. i hope Byrne, Moyes, Booth all become regulars at ER but at the moment we have a manager who won't play them, so they are better loaned out.

I agree that yogi has something against playing them and in fact i think Wotherspoon was only introduced to the first team last season because of the lack of players for right back. From what I have heard the guys that have been loaned out are pretty good and could do a job for us right now. I do have a fear sometimes that players that get loaned out to lower sides can get a little to comfortable as being the big fish in the small pond and then struggle when they come back if the loan period is long enough. I would have liked Yogi to have given these guys a try and then made a decision if they need more experience elsewhere.

Could it be that wages are a problem for the club and if Yogi wanted to bring players in he had to get players of the books. he let some players go but perhaps he wanted to keep these players therefore got another club to pick up their wages for a season and this is also why we have only offered short term deals for other players?

Wotherspiniesta
14-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I hope someone from Hibs is on the blower pronto to Sir Alex to say thank you for his kind words........and let him know we would be more than happy to assist in developing some for Man U.......'yes Mr & Mrs Parent of next great talent...the mighty Man U want your boy.....part of our programme is spending a couple of years at the aclaimed East Mains...we will make the arrangements right away' :greengrin

:agree:

Starting with Macheda :greengrin

down-the-slope
14-09-2010, 03:32 PM
:agree:

Starting with Macheda :greengrin

Ah....you spot the cunning plan :greengrin

Also that Bebe boy must need a game or two :agree:

matty_f
15-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I agree that yogi has something against playing them and in fact i think Wotherspoon was only introduced to the first team last season because of the lack of players for right back. From what I have heard the guys that have been loaned out are pretty good and could do a job for us right now. I do have a fear sometimes that players that get loaned out to lower sides can get a little to comfortable as being the big fish in the small pond and then struggle when they come back if the loan period is long enough. I would have liked Yogi to have given these guys a try and then made a decision if they need more experience elsewhere.

Could it be that wages are a problem for the club and if Yogi wanted to bring players in he had to get players of the books. he let some players go but perhaps he wanted to keep these players therefore got another club to pick up their wages for a season and this is also why we have only offered short term deals for other players?

Yogi will have watched these players very closely against SPL level players in training every day, I'm sure from that he'll have been able to assess how close they are to first team SPL level football.

HFC 0-7
15-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Yogi will have watched these players very closely against SPL level players in training every day, I'm sure from that he'll have been able to assess how close they are to first team SPL level football.

For a youngster training and games are 2 very different things. The pressure of a match day can tell on a youngster so thats why IMO Yogi should have at least tried them in an SPL match. Yogi sees a few SPL players in training every day and deems that they are good enough to be in the squad week in week out when in reality they are not, IMO, good enough. Nish, Rankin, Stevenson and Thicot all stand out to me as players that are holding the youth back at the moment.

Surely you must agree that an 18 year old playing in training against his team mates must be a lot easier than walking onto a pitch on matchday in front of thousands of fans where the result really matters.

If I am honest Yogi doesnt like playing youth players, his hand was only forced when it came to Hanlon and Wotherspoon. The best policy IMO for Youth is that unless they are going to a decent side on loan, there best place would be on the bench in the full squad getting parts of games building up to longer period of games learning their trade along with their team mates.

Part/Time Supporter
15-09-2010, 09:09 AM
For a youngster training and games are 2 very different things. The pressure of a match day can tell on a youngster so thats why IMO Yogi should have at least tried them in an SPL match. Yogi sees a few SPL players in training every day and deems that they are good enough to be in the squad week in week out when in reality they are not, IMO, good enough. Nish, Rankin, Stevenson and Thicot all stand out to me as players that are holding the youth back at the moment.

Surely you must agree that an 18 year old playing in training against his team mates must be a lot easier than walking onto a pitch on matchday in front of thousands of fans where the result really matters.

If I am honest Yogi doesnt like playing youth players, his hand was only forced when it came to Hanlon and Wotherspoon. The best policy IMO for Youth is that unless they are going to a decent side on loan, there best place would be on the bench in the full squad getting parts of games building up to longer period of games learning their trade along with their team mates.

complete and utter guff

1. what young players are Nish et al holding back?

2. the only serious prospect that is being "held back" at the moment is Hanlon, who plays in the same position as the team's best player (Bamba)

3. Hughes had an excellent track record at Falkirk for bringing through youth (either their own or loaned players from big English clubs). Arfield, Barr, Scobbie, Schmeichel, Stokes, etc.

Hibs90
15-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Well he's hardly given Galbraith his chance has he!

Dashing Bob S
15-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Pity for Sir Alex Man U don't have the same. Their nippers were poor against the Sticky Buns.

hibs0666
15-09-2010, 09:42 AM
If I am honest Yogi doesnt like playing youth players

You might be honest, but it doesn't stop you being wrong.

Spike Mandela
15-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Ahhhh, the Masterplan:wink::greengrin

Hope you're right:agree:

matty_f
15-09-2010, 12:57 PM

That is exactly what I'm saying, and so if Yogi is watching these boys and they're not showing that they're ready for the first team when in the comfortable surroundings of a training environment, then he can justifiably deduce that they'd benefit from getting exposure away from a first team SPL side.

At the moment, neither Hibs nor Yogi can afford to take a chance on a youngster stepping up to the plate when there is a proven (and better) player available in his position.

HFC 0-7
15-09-2010, 01:14 PM
complete and utter guff

1. what young players are Nish et al holding back?

2. the only serious prospect that is being "held back" at the moment is Hanlon, who plays in the same position as the team's best player (Bamba)

3. Hughes had an excellent track record at Falkirk for bringing through youth (either their own or loaned players from big English clubs). Arfield, Barr, Scobbie, Schmeichel, Stokes, etc.

Point 1, Nish IMO is not playing well and him constantly being in the team never mind squad in front of a player who I am told is very good, Kurtis Byrne, is silly.

2. Dont see how Hanlon is being held back, he will be finding his feet quicker in the top league amongst his own team mates rather than player against second rate forwards in a lower division.

3. As to my point with Wotherspoon, IMO, hughes only played him because he needed someone to fill right back and that i why he wasnt loaned out, at Falkirk he had no option but to play youth. I am not saying that he isnt good at bringing through youngsters, I am saying that if he has the option he will try and buy someone for a position rather than using youth.

HFC 0-7
15-09-2010, 01:16 PM
You might be honest, but it doesn't stop you being wrong.

He played Wotherspoon and hanlon because he had to, the rest he shipped out on loan, Galbraith the only other youngster at the club hardly even gets a sniff of game time even although he has shown that he is probably the most dangerous player at the moment, the only one willing to take a player on and has pace! But apart from that yeah, he clearly likes playing youth!

As soon as Stokes was sold Byrne should have been recalled from loan, instead we find ourselves having to look for players that are out of contract.

HFC 0-7
15-09-2010, 01:19 PM
That is exactly what I'm saying, and so if Yogi is watching these boys and they're not showing that they're ready for the first team when in the comfortable surroundings of a training environment, then he can justifiably deduce that they'd benefit from getting exposure away from a first team SPL side.

At the moment, neither Hibs nor Yogi can afford to take a chance on a youngster stepping up to the plate when there is a proven (and better) player available in his position.

Normally I would agree with you, but because the majority of the hibs players are playing badly at the moment and struggling then these youth players should be given their chance. IMO, very few of the hibs first team have proven that they have what it takes given the performances since February.

The Silver Fox
15-09-2010, 01:25 PM
His brother was Hibs scout a number of years ago for Hibs.

You can say that again. :wink:

Broken Gnome
15-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Point 1, Nish IMO is not playing well and him constantly being in the team never mind squad in front of a player who I am told is very good, Kurtis Byrne, is silly.

2. Dont see how Hanlon is being held back, he will be finding his feet quicker in the top league amongst his own team mates rather than player against second rate forwards in a lower division.

3. As to my point with Wotherspoon, IMO, hughes only played him because he needed someone to fill right back and that i why he wasnt loaned out, at Falkirk he had no option but to play youth. I am not saying that he isnt good at bringing through youngsters, I am saying that if he has the option he will try and buy someone for a position rather than using youth.

Wotherspoon went straight from the 19s side into the first team in Yogi's very first game. As a midfielder. The loss of McCann might've left him no alternative to play at right back, but Wotherspoon would easily have figured prominently as a midfield option if not.

You're 'told' Kurtis Byrne is very good, I'd wager he wouldn't score as many SPL goals as Colin Nish does at the current time. Hughes also pitched Byrne in against Celtic when there were more experienced (and better) options on the bench. Byrne hardly got a kick of the ball and looked out of his depth, and now he's far better off on the tried and tested lower league method that Miller, Riordan, Murray etc benefitted from.

As for Galbraith, I don't think anyone could argue he wasn't underused last season, though whether he would have consistently met the expectations of supporters I doubt. We need to remember that he's had very little football over the last few years: we may only have seen fleeting glimpses that have promised much, but when you're dealing with a young players overall fitness and wellbeing the management and physio staff are far better placed to judge.

Hibby Bairn
15-09-2010, 02:12 PM
The hype surrounding Galbraith is nearing mythical proportions. I might even look quick and dangerous coming on fresh after 70 mins against a tiring full back.

Whether he will be quite as dangerous and effective starting a game and continuing that for a full 90 mins remains to be seen.

bighairyfaeleith
15-09-2010, 02:20 PM
The hype surrounding Galbraith is nearing mythical proportions. I might even look quick and dangerous coming on fresh after 70 mins against a tiring full back.

Whether he will be quite as dangerous and effective starting a game and continuing that for a full 90 mins remains to be seen.

surely the easiest way to answer it though would be to give him 90 minutes, or is that just nuts?:confused:

Part/Time Supporter
15-09-2010, 02:32 PM

1. you've "heard" that Byrne is very good

:rolleyes:

2. they're totally different types of players

1. how do you know he wouldn't have played in midfield, particularly when Zemmama was out?

2. he could have signed a bunch of experienced 1st division haddies for Falkirk instead of playing kids.

Part/Time Supporter
15-09-2010, 04:55 PM

You do realise that the laddies who are loaned out to part-time teams (Booth, Moyes, Byrne, etc) are still training with Hibs most of the week? Booth scored Hibs' goal in a midweek bounce match against United a week or two back.

Hibby Bairn
15-09-2010, 07:23 PM
surely the easiest way to answer it though would be to give him 90 minutes, or is that just nuts?:confused:

I agree but Hughes sees him everyday wheras we just see fleeting glimpses in the final quarters of games. And based on impact in final 20 mins with a few crosses and taking tired defenders on and an injury time goal at Parkhead he is suddenly the messiah.

However I do think he deserves a start in a natural position for him and one that allows Riordan to play as striker. Hamilton would seem a good place to start and let's see what he can in a full game.