PDA

View Full Version : New Captain?

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Will McBride be made the new team Captain or is it just a one off?

Coincedental that McBride was on cover of matchday programme, and also on Hibs Website modelling the new yellow 3rd kit:hmmm:

Albion Hibs
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Hopefully just one off, never a hibs captain for me.

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Hopefully just one off, never a hibs captain for me.

Well who would you give the armband to?

Albion Hibs
12-09-2010, 11:53 AM

We currently have a captain, IF it is to change then for me it would be Murray. Struggle to see where this McBride chat is coming from, I can remember the majority of game last season he was given pelters, went down to easy, and moans rather than organises.

I am hoping the motion for McBride is not coming because he kicked a ball of lafferty - remember he got sent off for that and we went on the lose the game by 3 goals, he also gave away the ball for yesterdays goal. I also felt he did not do enough to help miller get forward yesterday.

Dont get me wrong, he is now a starting 11 player for me, but not a captain.

H18sry
12-09-2010, 12:18 PM
We currently have a captain, IF it is to change then for me it would be Murray. Struggle to see where this McBride chat is coming from, I can remember the majority of game last season he was given pelters, went down to easy, and moans rather than organises.

I am hoping the motion for McBride is not coming because he kicked a ball of lafferty - remember he got sent off for that and we went on the lose the game by 3 goals, he also gave away the ball for yesterdays goal. I also felt he did not do enough to help miller get forward yesterday.

Murray is not a certain starter anymore I think the team that started at the back yesterday will be Yogi's preferred back 4.

Expecting Rain
12-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately there isn`t alot of candidates for captain, i think Yogi has made a mistake in appointing McBride as the skipper, for me Miller with his experience should be the man to lead Hibs forward and on whom the team should be built around, i think we might have a job on our hands keeping him.

Diclonius
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
McBride will be an excellent captain - he is always available to recieve the ball and play it into a more attacking position which is his job as a holding midfielder. He didn't put a foot wrong yesterday, but I can unfortunately see him becoming the next scapegoat - a real shame.

CallumLaidlaw
12-09-2010, 01:19 PM

You must have been reading a different messageboard and watching a different player last season. It was widely regarded that McBride was an important part of our team, and alows the likes of Miller (and hopefully De Graaf) to get on with the attacking side of the game.
McBride done well in geeing his team mate up yesterday. He never shirks away from anything, and unlike Murray and Hogg, he is likely to start regularly.
If Sol was likely to be staying, he might be my pick, but him aside, I reckon McBride is a good shout.

houston1875
12-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Will McBride be made the new team Captain or is it just a one off?

Coincedental that McBride was on cover of matchday programme, and also on Hibs Website modelling the new yellow 3rd kit:hmmm:

Bald yin you didn't happen to be sitting in the west upper stand yesterday where you lol

Baldy Foghorn
12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Bald yin you didn't happen to be sitting in the west upper stand yesterday where you lol

No Houston, I was in the West Lower

houston1875
12-09-2010, 04:23 PM
No Houston, I was in the West Lower

ok cool bald yin,was a rather quiet dude in west upper,thought it might be you?
:wink:

Judas Iscariot
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't think McBride should be captain as I don't think he's good enough to be starting every week..

I'd rather have Ian Murray in CM than either McBride or Miller, absolutely ZERO tackling goes on from our central midfielders and at least Murray would add a bit steel!

I genuinely would give Riordan the armband but with Yogi in charge that nit gonna happen..

Miller33
12-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I think McBride was absolutely fantastic for us last year, so dont know where the idea of him getting pelters came from?? Definately my choice for captain, great passer of the ball does the ugly side of the game very well and is always available to recieve a pass. He also gives 120% every game he plays, he's a winner and a good organiser and would be a great captain for us.

Alex Trager
12-09-2010, 06:29 PM
McBride when hogg is on the park vocally commands the team more than anyone else, if you watch him he does everything a captain should.... i just hope the same thing that happened to hogg- a good player with jones...got on with his job and did so well- does not happen to McBride

Albion Hibs
12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Murray is not a certain starter anymore I think the team that started at the back yesterday will be Yogi's preferred back 4.

If that is the preferred back 4 then we have a p%sh season ahead of us. If Murray is not one of the first names on the team sheet when fit and available I would be stunned.

You must have been reading a different messageboard and watching a different player last season. It was widely regarded that McBride was an important part of our team, and alows the likes of Miller (and hopefully De Graaf) to get on with the attacking side of the game.
McBride done well in geeing his team mate up yesterday. He never shirks away from anything, and unlike Murray and Hogg, he is likely to start regularly.
If Sol was likely to be staying, he might be my pick, but him aside, I reckon McBride is a good shout.

Maybe I was reading a different message board, however, that is massively irrelevant. I saw every game and that is what I am basing it on. Did you not see him messing about in midfield yesterday and getting mugged, the same mugging which led to the penalty. As for Murray and Hogg shirking away from anything I would question what games if any you watched last season to lead you to that conclusion.

CallumLaidlaw
12-09-2010, 07:51 PM
If that is the preferred back 4 then we have a p%sh season ahead of us. If Murray is not one of the first names on the team sheet when fit and available I would be stunned.

Maybe I was reading a different message board, however, that is massively irrelevant. I saw every game and that is what I am basing it on. Did you not see him messing about in midfield yesterday and getting mugged, the same mugging which led to the penalty. As for Murray and Hogg shirking away from anything I would question what games if any you watched last season to lead you to that conclusion.

If you read my post correctly, I never accused Murray or Hogg of Shirking away of anything :cool2:

H18sry
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Where will Yogi play him?

Albion Hibs
12-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Where will Yogi play him?

Left back, if not centre mid.

Cropley10
13-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Has IM ever played CM under Yogi? When was the last time he even played that position? I can't recall seeing him at CM.

bawheid
13-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Has IM ever played CM under Yogi? When was the last time he even played that position? I can't recall seeing him at CM.

He played it a couple of times under McLeish and then I think again under Williamson. He's not played there for a very long time though.

I think Murray would struggle badly in CM. I'd quite like to see him tried out in the centre of defence though - maybe as part of a 3.

ShanksSaidNo
13-09-2010, 11:40 AM
McBride will be an excellent captain - he is always available to recieve the ball and play it into a more attacking position which is his job as a holding midfielder. He didn't put a foot wrong yesterday, but I can unfortunately see him becoming the next scapegoat - a real shame.
That for me doesnt make him captain material! that makes him a midfielder, doin his job! I would have Big Sol as my captain as his enthusiasm and must win attitude should resonate throughout the team!

H18sry
13-09-2010, 11:49 AM

I cant see WGP letting Grounds come to ER to warm the bench, when he was already doing that at Boro.

Miller33
13-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I would have Big Sol as my captain

I cant say i agree with Sol becoming captain, although being a fantastic whole hearted winner on the park, off the park he has seemed to have been trying to engineer a move away from ER for some time now so i dont think thats a good call for captain.

On another point,I dont think Murray will play many games this season either, Grounds will be first choice at Left Back and cant see Murray being played in the centre of the park, would like to see him tried in beside Sol at centre half though. Its hard to believe Murray isnt one of the first names on the team sheet but i think his versatility has actually gone against him now.

Speedway
13-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't think McBride should be captain as I don't think he's good enough to be starting every week..

I'd rather have Ian Murray in CM than either McBride or Miller, absolutely ZERO tackling goes on from our central midfielders and at least Murray would add a bit steel!
I genuinely would give Riordan the armband but with Yogi in charge that nit gonna happen..

Unfortunately he wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the player to put his 'steel' in after they'd strolled past him at a canter.

Albion Hibs
13-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately he wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the player to put his 'steel' in after they'd strolled past him at a canter.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to your own foot note about fans and players!

The_Todd
13-09-2010, 06:49 PM

I think hitting Kyle Laugh-erty is a prerequisite for any Hibs captain.

Albion Hibs
13-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I think hitting Kyle Laugh-erty is a prerequisite for any Hibs captain.

I would suggest it is a must for anyone, player or member of the public that can get within striking distance! Well done, he did give it a welly, but still not enough for me.

Speedway
13-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Perhaps you should pay more attention to your own foot note about fans and players!

My comment was that Murray is not fast enough to add 'steel' to a Hibs midfield. Is that abuse of a severe variety as my footnote describes?

Albion Hibs
13-09-2010, 09:50 PM
He played it a couple of times under McLeish and then I think again under Williamson. He's not played there for a very long time though.

I think Murray would struggle badly in CM. I'd quite like to see him tried out in the centre of defence though - maybe as part of a 3.

The season he scored circa 12 goals be played in central midfield.

My comment was that Murray is not fast enough to add 'steel' to a Hibs midfield. Is that abuse of a severe variety as my footnote describes?

Regardless it is a critisicm based on....nothing. I am sure you will be part of the possie that believes Grounds is a left back with the pace of Sproule - not the one we saw on Saturday anyway.

My main point is having only been a member of this forum for a short time, we seem to spend a lot of time criticising players that have been with us for years in favour of ones we know nothing off.

PS since when did pace = steel?:confused:

Jonnyboy
13-09-2010, 09:54 PM
The season he scored circa 12 goals be played in central midfield.

Regardless it is a critisicm based on....nothing. I am sure you will be part of the possie that believes Grounds is a left back with the pace of Sproule - not the one we saw on Saturday anyway.

My main point is having only been a member of this forum for a short time, we seem to spend a lot of time criticising players that have been with us for years in favour of ones we know nothing off.

PS since when did pace = steel?:confused:

And yet your criticism of Grounds is based on ninety minutes?

Albion Hibs
13-09-2010, 10:07 PM
And yet your criticism of Grounds is based on ninety minutes?

My point is not a criticism of Grounds but I was pointing out how people have reacted to this unknown over a former captain and current vice captain. Read my post again!

Jonnyboy
13-09-2010, 10:12 PM
My point is not a criticism of Grounds but I was pointing out how people have reacted to this unknown over a former captain and current vice captain. Read my post again!

I know what your point is and agree with it to a degree :agree: We do seem to jump in quickly at times to talk up new guys but to me that is pretty well a natural thing to do. I'm a huge fan of Ian Murray but you have to admit that he is not the player he once was? I'd have him in my team for his passion and determination alone but not everybody is of that view and Grounds gave some posters reason to feel encouraged by his display. I've already said in a post in the Private Members forum (£10 and you're in :greengrin) that I felt he struggled for pace at times BUT I don't think he should be judged on that 90 minutes alone as we've no real idea just how much game time he'd had before he arrived.

J-C
14-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Is having a captain so vitally important nowadays, I'm sure on the pitch there are a few who are quite vocal and let others around know what to do etc, but being captain is purely a privilage nowadays. the important thing is we have the best 11 players on the pitch playing for each other and the fans, whoever the captain is makes no difference, I'm sure there are at least 5-6 leaders out there every week.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2010, 09:02 AM
ok cool bald yin,was a rather quiet dude in west upper,thought it might be you?
:wink:

Back row of the West Upper at the South End by any chance?

houston1875
14-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Back row of the West Upper at the South End by any chance?

Lol yes,why was that you,or you hear it too?

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Lol yes,why was that you,or you hear it too?

Nah it wasn't me but I listened to it, only turned around to see who it was when I saw the Stewards going up to speak to him and realised it was a member of my bowling club :faf:. He has sat there for a few seasons without a hint of getting that excited!!

TornadoHibby
14-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I know what your point is and agree with it to a degree :agree: We do seem to jump in quickly at times to talk up new guys but to me that is pretty well a natural thing to do. I'm a huge fan of Ian Murray but you have to admit that he is not the player he once was? I'd have him in my team for his passion and determination alone but not everybody is of that view and Grounds gave some posters reason to feel encouraged by his display. I've already said in a post in the Private Members forum (£10 and you're in :greengrin) that I felt he struggled for pace at times BUT I don't think he should be judged on that 90 minutes alone as we've no real idea just how much game time he'd had before he arrived.

So did David Murphy but he didn't do too badly after he got himself match fit now did he? :wink: :agree:

herdy
14-09-2010, 11:36 AM

I would say Murray is the player that fits the ideals of a captain the most, but, as a few others have said, he is no longer a certain starter. I would probably say McBride or Miller should be given the armband. But let's face it, if Hogg doesn't come back in, yogi will probably go and give the armband to Thicot !!:boo hoo:

houston1875
14-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Nah it wasn't me but I listened to it, only turned around to see who it was when I saw the Stewards going up to speak to him and realised it was a member of my bowling club :faf:. He has sat there for a few seasons without a hint of getting that excited!!

The wee blonde steward had him well under control,poor wee lass musta been bricking it,but the boy was very apologetic? Can understand his frustration tho!!

Jonnyboy
14-09-2010, 02:18 PM
So did David Murphy but he didn't do too badly after he got himself match fit now did he? :wink: :agree:

Exactly, which is why it's wrong to judge him on one 90 minute display :agree: