PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Scotland U 23 v Holland ER 1976

Iggy Pope
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Anyone got a link to any info on the Scotland v Holland U-23 held at ER around 1976?
Sure it was a Euro QF and I remember being in a crowd of 25 - 30,000.
Cannot find anything about it online and could do with the help to shut one or two up!

JimBHibees
11-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Anyone got a link to any info on the Scotland v Holland U-23 held at ER around 1976?
Cannot find anything about it online and could do with the help to shut one or two up!

Yep I was there also think we won 2-0 though lost out as Holland had won 3-0 in first leg. Seem to remember Joe Jordan played and he was brilliant, think you were allowed to play a couple of overage players. Think the crowd was just over 30k, 32k rings a bell.

crash
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Think the crowd was 37K, I remember Tommy Craig playing, and Des Bremner of Hibs I think.

Iggy Pope
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Yep I was there also think we won 2-0 though lost out as Holland had won 3-0 in first leg. Seem to remember Joe Jordan played and he was brilliant, think you were allowed to play a couple of overage players. Think the crowd was just over 30k, 32k rings a bell.

Think the crowd was 37K, I remember Tommy Craig playing, and Des Bremner of Hibs I think.

I'm up there with the both of you but does anyone have any facts?

DC_Hibs
11-09-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.hibsprogrammes.co.uk/easterroad.html - not much info here but leads to........

http://www.11v11.com/api/player/22963/teamID/10491

Bobo
11-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Scotland squad for the night was :

Alan Rough (Partick thistle)
John Brownlie (Hibernian)
Frank Gray (Leeds Utd)
Des Bremner (Hibernian)
Colin Jackson (Rangers)
Willie Miller (Aberdeen)
Gordon Smith (Kilmarnock)
Willie Pettigrew (Motherwell)
Joe Jordan (Leeds Utd)
Derek Johnstone (Rangers)
Tommy Craig (Newcastle Utd)
Jim Stewart (Kilmarnock)
Gordon Smith (St Johnstone)
Jim Smith (Aberdeen)
David Narey (Dundee Utd)
Peter Dickson (Queen of the South)

Holland won the 1st game 2-0 and my memory tells me Scotland won 3-1 in the return but went out because of the away goal .... my memory aint that good nowadays though :rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm?

Just noticed the previous post, guess we lost on pens ... can't remember it though!

Iggy Pope
11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
http://www.hibsprogrammes.co.uk/easterroad.html - not much info here but leads to........

http://www.11v11.com/api/player/22963/teamID/10491

Scotland squad for the night was :

Alan Rough (Partick thistle)
John Brownlie (Hibernian)
Frank Gray (Leeds Utd)
Des Bremner (Hibernian)
Colin Jackson (Rangers)
Willie Miller (Aberdeen)
Gordon Smith (Kilmarnock)
Willie Pettigrew (Motherwell)
Joe Jordan (Leeds Utd)
Derek Johnstone (Rangers)
Tommy Craig (Newcastle Utd)
Jim Stewart (Kilmarnock)
Gordon Smith (St Johnstone)
Jim Smith (Aberdeen)
David Narey (Dundee Utd)
Peter Dickson (Queen of the South)

Holland won the 1st game 2-0 and my memory tells me Scotland won 3-1 in the return but went out because of the away goal .... my memory aint that good nowadays though :rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm?

Just noticed the previous post, guess we lost on pens ... can't remember it though!

Excelllent thanks.
I'd like to get that crowd verified though...

Purple & Green
11-09-2010, 09:49 PM

It is also the last occasion there was a 30k attendance at Easter road.

Iggy Pope
11-09-2010, 09:57 PM

It is also the last occasion there was a 30k attendance at Easter road.

Hate to say it, but source?
Could do with hard facts!

Purple & Green
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Hate to say it, but source?
Could do with hard facts!

Scotland the team by Andrew ward has the same figure, but that wasn't originally where I picked it up from - I think it was the evening times.

Team Rough, Brownlie, Frank Gray, Jackson, Miller, Tommy Craig, Bremner, Pettigrew, Jordan, Smith (Dickson), Johnstone. Johnstone & Jackson scored, and Scotland won 2-0 on the night AET - losing on penalties.

iwasthere1972
12-09-2010, 08:15 AM
On Wednesday March 24th 1976 Scotland U-23's beat Holland U-23's 2-0 in a European Championship quarter-final second leg to make the aggregate 2-2 before losing 4-3 on penalties. The game was at Easter Road and the crowd was 32,593.

Iggy Pope
12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
On Wednesday March 24th 1976 Scotland U-23's beat Holland U-23's 2-0 in a European Championship quarter-final second leg to make the aggregate 2-2 before losing 4-3 on penalties. The game was at Easter Road and the crowd was 32,593.

Thanks everyone.

Could still have done with a link to a newspaper cutting or summat - can find nowt when I google it.

Groathillgrump
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I've got the programme for that match in a box somewhere. I'll try and dig it out and scan the cover. I kept it because I met Kenny Dalglish after the match and he signed it for me. He wasn't involved in the game but had been there as a supporter.

Hibs Class
12-09-2010, 10:25 AM
If I remember correctly, the loss on penalties was caused in part by Tommy Craig coming up to take one and playing to the crowd on the way to the box, then missing. I was still at primary, it was the first time I'd ever even heard of Craig and it created a lifelong dislike of him.

Phil D. Rolls
12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone.

Could still have done with a link to a newspaper cutting or summat - can find nowt when I google it.

The Edinburgh Room at the central library keeps old newspapers on fiche. Don't know if you have to go in person or if they post out a report to you.

Sammy7nil
12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Jordan was one of the 2 "over age" players
As I recall it he was absolutely brilliant ripped them to bits won everything in the air and was Magnificent.

Scotland should have won far more easily then 2 - 0

Then may I be wrong but MOM the match (by a mile) Jordan missed his pen hitting the post and Scotland were out. I was only 13 but thats how I recall it.

malcky
12-09-2010, 01:34 PM

i remember the final penalty kick, the guy took the longest ever run up ive seen.