PDA

View Full Version : D.Duffy

18/03/07
10-09-2010, 07:54 PM
A guy on the bounce saying that D. Duffy broke a bone on his foot today, anybody heard anything?

monktonharp
10-09-2010, 07:56 PM
maybe his team-mates heard....Crack ! hope not though

Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Aye. Broken metatarsal.

I'm sure the club will be delighted someone decided to post it up!

HibbyAndy
10-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Aye. Broken metatarsal.

TBF Mikey the club would have to have let us know anyway.

Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:13 PM

"Hi Mr Denneboom, we'd like you to sign that contract after all. Oh by the way, you'll have heard that Daryll Duffy is out for 6 weeks so presumably you'll want to increase the amount you're demanding from us?"

:wink:

lyonhibs
10-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Aye. Broken metatarsal.

Ah, this is good news................. :grr::grr:

Yogi said he could only have 1 of the 2 strikers he was looking at. Assuming he gets 1 of them, with Duffy crocked that leaves us with 3 strikers. Riordan, Nish plus AN Other, with Byrne to come back from loan in January (??)

I hope that "spreading the goals around the team" chat Yogi was on about a wee while back comes to fruition with avengance, or we're up the proverbial creek without a means of propulsion. Deeks can't do it all by himself.

The_Todd
10-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Goody. That changes my score prediction from a 2-1 defeat to a 2-0 defeat.

Hanny
10-09-2010, 08:17 PM

"Hi Mr Denneboom, we'd like you to sign that contract after all. Oh by the way, you'll have heard that Daryll Duffy is out for 6 weeks so presumably you'll want to increase the amount you're demanding from us?"

As HibbyAndy says, his absence from the squad tomorrow would have to be explained (due to the lack of forwards in the squad as a whole). If fit he would make the bench at the very least.

The knock on effect to our negotiating position is something the club simply have to deal with.

Brooster
10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Could pave the way for the Lithuanian striker.

HibbyAndy
10-09-2010, 08:20 PM

That Lithu guy is a must now too..With Duffy now sparko ...we were gonna sign one at least imo anyway, But if DD is crocked then both them are needed.

**** finances and the usual 20 million pager telling us how we are doing such a grand job, The fact of the matter is ( If true about DD)..We have one recognised striker up top and thats CN.

People calling for Kurtis Byrne back..Why? Did he play any games last season, If ever atall?

Grim, Very grim.

Alfred E Newman
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Cue those clowns who were taking great joy at Lee Wallaces` injury coming on here now and bemoaning our bad luck.

silverhibee
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Ah, this is good news................. :grr::grr:

Yogi said he could only have 1 of the 2 strikers he was looking at. Assuming he gets 1 of them, with Duffy crocked that leaves us with 3 strikers. Riordan, Nish plus AN Other, with Byrne to come back from loan in January (??)

I hope that "spreading the goals around the team" chat Yogi was on about a wee while back comes to fruition with avengance, or we're up the proverbial creek without a means of propulsion. Deeks can't do it all by himself.

Riordan is not striker,:wink:, he is a left midfielder.:greengrin

Andy74
10-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Malcolm. That's football. Just like people were saying with Wallace. It would be a blow for us but I'm not going to get all mushy about DD over it.

HibbyAndy
10-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Riordan is not striker,:wink:, he is a left midfielder.:greengrin

Correct.

I kinda get the feeling he will now be a striker.

Cabbage1875
10-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh dear.

Doesn't get any better does it. :bitchy:

frazeHFC
10-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Is this confirmed or still just rumours?

Hope it's not true :grr:

Ah well, 4-5-1 with Nish up front. Why even bother going? :rolleyes:

lyonhibs
10-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Correct.

:pray:

Leithenhibby
10-09-2010, 08:28 PM
If true, then we do have a problem :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
10-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Hope it's not true :grr:

It is

silverhibee
10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Correct.

See PM board. :greengrin

Brooster
10-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I'd play Wotherspoon up front tomoro.

Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Correct.

By the looks of tomorrow's team he's still a midfielder.

I'm keeping well clear of here tomorrow night if Yogi plays Deek in midfield, in a 4-4-2, and we lose.

Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:36 PM

:greengrin

HibbyAndy
10-09-2010, 08:37 PM
See PM board. :greengrin

:boo hoo::boo hoo:

Thats the chat.

By the looks of tomorrow's team he's still a midfielder.

I'm keeping well clear of here tomorrow night if Yogi plays Deek in midfield, in a 4-4-2, and we lose.

:agree:

monktonharp
10-09-2010, 08:37 PM
why are so many injuries happening at training? or am I just imagining that?

RickyS
10-09-2010, 08:39 PM

you are, EEN saying he had everyone to pick from in todays edition

Brooster
10-09-2010, 08:39 PM

:cool2:Who else got injured at training?

lyonhibs
10-09-2010, 08:48 PM
:boo hoo::boo hoo:

Thats the chat.

If Yogi pairs Wotherspoon, a RB/RM by trade, up top, and keeps Riordan, our most prolific scorer and best striker of the ball, out on the left wing..............................

Well, I won't be surprised actually........ :rolleyes:

Mikey
10-09-2010, 08:50 PM
If Yogi pairs Wotherspoon, a RB/RM by trade, up top, and keeps Riordan, our most prolific scorer and best striker of the ball, out on the left wing..............................

That's what it looks like!

silverhibee
10-09-2010, 08:51 PM
you are, EEN saying he had everyone to pick from in todays edition

That was before he played(Yogi) in a wee bounce game with the players.:greengrin

Hibby 2005
10-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Riordan and Nish up front with Galbraith wide would be fine but you just know it ain't gonna happen.

Part/Time Supporter
10-09-2010, 08:55 PM

FWIW, Wotherspoon was a goalscoring midfielder in the under-19s two years ago.

RickyS
10-09-2010, 08:57 PM
That was before he played(Yogi) in a wee bounce game with the players.:greengrin

are we still working on the basis of rumour? or is someone confirming it as a definite?

HibbyAndy

So is this another player played out of position by Hughes then?

Andy74
Read something last week where wotherspoon was saying his actual position was second striker even though he played midfield in the under 19s.

We get a lot of joy from deek in his current position so don't get the clamour to move him.

bingo70
10-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Read something last week where wotherspoon was saying his actual position was second striker even though he played midfield in the under 19s.

We get a lot of joy from deek in his current position so don't get the clamour to move him.

It'd be harder to replace his goals from a new left winger than it would be to sign a striker that'd give us 10-15 goals a season.

Although in saying that when Colin Nish is our only fit striker it might be time to move him up front until we can get another striker in.

truehibernian
10-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Exactly, a midfielder. He had Byrne and Paddy Deane to work off and have in front of him who themselves scored a shedload. If DW plays up front, Hughes simply has not got an utter clue about football I am afraid. DW's confidence (at Hibs) is a bit shot as he has been punted around the pitch without knowing if he is coming or going. Very like putting young Danny at left back. Hopeless management IMHO. Riordan and Nish up front if anything, with young Danny or Ranks at left mid.

Andy74
10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Hopeless management if Wotherspoon is played in his favoured position when needs must. Okay then.

bingo70
10-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Exactly, a midfielder. He had Byrne and Paddy Deane to work off and have in front of him who themselves scored a shedload. If DW plays up front, Hughes simply has not got an utter clue about football I am afraid. DW's confidence (at Hibs) is a bit shot as he has been punted around the pitch without knowing if he is coming or going. Very like putting young Danny at left back. Hopeless management IMHO. Riordan and Nish up front if anything, with young Danny or Ranks at left mid.

You sure about that?

I'm sure i remember hearing that Byrne never scored that many goals until about the last month of the season and most on here were surprised when Deane got offered a pre contract.

I'm not one that pretends to know all the strengths of the young players, not saying you are BTW, i just think there's a lot of people seem to have made opinions on the young players having seen very little of them play.

lyonhibs
10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Hopeless management if Wotherspoon is played in his favoured position when needs must. Okay then.

Hmmmm??? As a striker??

That's what being proposed here.

Www1875hfc
10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
What price is D for the 1st goal? :greengrin

truehibernian
10-09-2010, 09:35 PM
You sure about that?

I'm sure i remember hearing that Byrne never scored that many goals until about the last month of the season and most on here were surprised when Deane got offered a pre contract.

I'm not one that pretends to know all the strengths of the young players, not saying you are BTW, i just think there's a lot of people seem to have made opinions on the young players having seen very little of them play.

I watched a lot of the 19's and still do when I can. The goals in that side were shared around, but Deane and Byrne were the front men, with Paddy very much the physical forward and Kurtis just playing off him. DW played a mixture of attacking wide right and through the middle off the strikers. I just think that asking DW to play yet another foreign position when he IMHO is on a bit of poor form clubwise is wrong. Very much like playing a vibrant energetic winger in Danny Galbraith at wingback/left back. And very much like playing a centre half in the making in Hanlon at left back. Will happily stand corrected if DW scored a couple and looks the part. But I just cannot see it. It has to be Riordan and Nish up front. Both know where the goals are, both are recognised scorers, and both have indeed played there for many years.

bingo70
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Hmmmm??? As a striker??

That's what being proposed here.

Not as an out and out striker, he'll play a bit deeper like an attaking midfield/forward role.

Before Yogi gets slaughtered for that it's a pretty common formation these days to have 2 midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders playing just behind the lone striker

truehibernian
10-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Not as an out and out striker, he'll play a bit deeper like an attaking midfield/forward role.

Before Yogi gets slaughtered for that it's a pretty common formation these days to have 2 midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders playing just behind the lone striker

So at home versus ICT who have quite a physical backline we are going to play a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-5-1. Their full backs are as well putting a time off memo in, and their centre halfs buying a fat cuban number if they only have Colin to deal with. Not having a go at you mate but Hughes for me has to give the nod to Derek up front as he will be desperate to grab the forward slot vacated by Stokes IMO and show JH what he can do up there. By all means play DW, but play him right midfield in an attacking format.

bingo70
10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
So at home versus ICT who have quite a physical backline we are going to play a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-5-1. Their full backs are as well putting a time off memo in, and their centre halfs buying a fat cuban number if they only have Colin to deal with. Not having a go at you mate but Hughes for me has to give the nod to Derek up front as he will be desperate to grab the forward slot vacated by Stokes IMO and show JH what he can do up there. By all means play DW, but play him right midfield in an attacking format.

Physical back line but not a particularly good one i'd imagine so playing a forward a bit deeper and having midfielders making runs from deep is a lot harder to deal with than 2 up front that they can just go man for man with.

lyonhibs
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Ahh, that's somewhat more palatable then. W/spoon can pick a pass, and has a good engine on him. The "PM Board" clique :greengrin:worms:were making out that it was a straight 4-4-2.

Pity that Wotherspoon and his 2 other attacking mate (presumably Miller and De Graaf :confused:) are likely to either be bypassed completely as yet another "Hogg Bomb" goes whooshing over their heads in the vague general direction of nobody in particular, or they'll be looking to the rapier speed and ingenuity of Colin Nish as the focal point of the attack.

Still, it might be grim, but we really, REALLY, by fair means or foul, should be winning (and I DO think we will win tomorrow) our home games against ICT, cos christ knows history tells us we'll be happy with a couple of points from our games up there.

bingo70
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Ahh, that's somewhat more palatable then. W/spoon can pick a pass, and has a good engine on him. The "PM Board" clique :greengrin:worms:were making out that it was a straight 4-4-2.

Pity that Wotherspoon and his 2 other attacking mate (presumably Miller and De Graaf :confused:) are likely to either be bypassed completely as yet another "Hogg Bomb" goes whooshing over their heads in the vague general direction of nobody in particular, or they'll be looking to the rapier speed and ingenuity of Colin Nish as the focal point of the attack.

Still, it might be grim, but we really, REALLY, by fair means or foul, should be winning (and I DO think we will win tomorrow) our home games against ICT, cos christ knows history tells us we'll be happy with a couple of points from our games up there.

Should point out i'm making an 'educated' guess here based on how yogi's teams have lined up in the past and the type of player DW is, people in the PM clique might know otherwise but i think i'll wait until tomorrow before going too raj at yogi.

I agree about tomorrow being a big game, not just for the 3 points but just for the whole atmosphere about the club, everyone needs to chill out a bit and hopefully a win and a performance can help that.

truehibernian
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Och Lyon, you have just ruined my night by reminding me we still have Hoggenbauer :greengrin

Kaiser1962
11-09-2010, 05:19 AM
That's what it looks like!

he likes putting Spoony on the left as well so it could all be a Yogi smokescreen to confuse ICT (and ourselves)

Hibs7
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
bugger I was looking forward to seeing how Duffy played !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaiser1962
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
i have to say that this move was to have a look at Danny in a defensive role IF Yogi was maybe to move to a 3-5-2 formation with Danny on the left and Spoony on the right.

--------
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I watched a lot of the 19's and still do when I can. The goals in that side were shared around, but Deane and Byrne were the front men, with Paddy very much the physical forward and Kurtis just playing off him. DW played a mixture of attacking wide right and through the middle off the strikers. I just think that asking DW to play yet another foreign position when he IMHO is on a bit of poor form clubwise is wrong. Very much like playing a vibrant energetic winger in Danny Galbraith at wingback/left back. And very much like playing a centre half in the making in Hanlon at left back. Will happily stand corrected if DW scored a couple and looks the part. But I just cannot see it. It has to be Riordan and Nish up front. Both know where the goals are, both are recognised scorers, and both have indeed played there for many years.

Am I right in thinking I detect a smidgin of disenchantment with our manager in your post here? :devil:

I agree. :agree:

I've been saying for some time that football is really a very simple game.

You need a goalkeeper, four defenders, four midfield players, and two strikers. Two of the defender play wide, two play in the middle. Two midfielders play wide, two in the middle. The goalkeeper stops the ball from entering his net, the forwards put the ball in the other team's net.

You may vary the 4-4-2 set-up to 4-5-1, 3-5-2, or even 5-3-2 or 3-4-3, adding a midfielder or a defender or even an attacker according to the opposition.

You pick the best players you have who play in all these different positions, having first made sure they're as fit as possible, and having made sure they know a wee bit about the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. You may or may not have rehearsed a few special set-pieces to take advantage of any specially talented (or very quick/tall/strong/whatever) player you might have in your team.

I really don't think I've missed too much out here?

I believe we have the required personnel on contract at ER.

(Though DD's injury IS a problem. I'd like to know exactly how it happened. 'Injured at training' is a phrase that can cover a multitude of stupidities.)

You suggest that Yogi isn't playing them in their correct positions, and I agree, wholeheartedly. :agree:

Paul Hanlon ISN'T a full-back. Nor is Danny Galbraith. David Wotherspoon has been moved around the team so much I wonder whether the manager knows what his best position is. What exactly Chris Hogg is (astonishingly almost an ever-present up till now) I myself am not quite sure. He's a defender, but not quite as I understand the term.

And why, with our obvious need for another striker (now that KB's out on loan) we haven't already signed someone - Dutch, Lithuanian, whatever - by now I really would like to know.

truehibernian
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I just know how I would have felt Doddie being asked to play other positions which you are not overly confident of doing well in or are under pressure to succeed in. DW is and always will be a superb midfielder, either on the right cutting in when he drives forward, or if you are going to nurture him, through the middle in the "Scott Brown" role (when Broony was at Hibs). Driving at the defence and making them come out and defend it. Hanlon - at left back Paul gets continually drawn out of position, probably because as a youngster he still has that ingrained mindset that he is a centre half. One week he is away with Scotland playing CH, next he is LB at the club. He is not blessed with any real pace which is an issue at full back with most teams having wingers and width. This season (and last to an extent) our left side is one where teams have continued to try and exploit IMHO. Paul is ideal to be introduced as a centre half and one hopefully who will stay in that position for the next few years. Same with DW though who has been RB, RM, CM and LM - it is not fair. And Galbraith - never in a million years a left back. Man Utd no less signed and played him up front or on the flanks. Hughes for me showed his poor management last season when he left an exhuberant, excited and confident Danny on the bench all game v St Mirren after he had scored the winner at Parkhead midweek. Yes we won the game with the last kick, but we toiled and huffed and puffed for around 60 minutes prior. He must have been itching to get on. This season v Rangers he came on and within minutes got behind the Rangers backline twice, gave the full back something to contend with, and looked up for it. How his heart must have sunk when he was asked to drop back and fill in the left back slot. Stevenson was on the bench FFS. I have not lost any faith in the players at ER other than Hogg, who for me should not be anywhere near the club as he is not a good footballer. I have however lost all faith in John Hughes. Young players at Easter Road, our lifeblood, are not being given a chance. If your face fits you seem to be immoveable. Booth should have been given a chance this season, Currie likewise. I like the look of young Handling in the 19's and Caldwell too. Kurtis Byrne is a great talent, but even then last season, Hughes played him on the RW (Aberdeen) and behind the strikers (v Falkirk I think ??) But I just don't see them getting given any kind of look in other than bounce games. The team lacks pace, width and genuine youth/vibrancy. We are now another Falkirk, with bigger ground and fanbase. The football is as dull as dishwater and has been since Irvine Meadow. It is one paced, side to side, lacking creativity and dithery/uncertain/ponderous. NO leadership is also an issue and I am old school too. You NEED a vocal, hardened, experienced captain, who can lead through good and bad.

Now where is that rope with the noose in it I left lying around..............:greengrin

Expecting Rain
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I just know how I would have felt Doddie being asked to play other positions which you are not overly confident of doing well in or are under pressure to succeed in. DW is and always will be a superb midfielder, either on the right cutting in when he drives forward, or if you are going to nurture him, through the middle in the "Scott Brown" role (when Broony was at Hibs). Driving at the defence and making them come out and defend it. Hanlon - at left back Paul gets continually drawn out of position, probably because as a youngster he still has that ingrained mindset that he is a centre half. One week he is away with Scotland playing CH, next he is LB at the club. He is not blessed with any real pace which is an issue at full back with most teams having wingers and width. This season (and last to an extent) our left side is one where teams have continued to try and exploit IMHO. Paul is ideal to be introduced as a centre half and one hopefully who will stay in that position for the next few years. Same with DW though who has been RB, RM, CM and LM - it is not fair. And Galbraith - never in a million years a left back. Man Utd no less signed and played him up front or on the flanks. Hughes for me showed his poor management last season when he left an exhuberant, excited and confident Danny on the bench all game v St Mirren after he had scored the winner at Parkhead midweek. Yes we won the game with the last kick, but we toiled and huffed and puffed for around 60 minutes prior. He must have been itching to get on. This season v Rangers he came on and within minutes got behind the Rangers backline twice, gave the full back something to contend with, and looked up for it. How his heart must have sunk when he was asked to drop back and fill in the left back slot. Stevenson was on the bench FFS. I have not lost any faith in the players at ER other than Hogg, who for me should not be anywhere near the club as he is not a good footballer. I have however lost all faith in John Hughes. Young players at Easter Road, our lifeblood, are not being given a chance. If your face fits you seem to be immoveable. Booth should have been given a chance this season, Currie likewise. I like the look of young Handling in the 19's and Caldwell too. Kurtis Byrne is a great talent, but even then last season, Hughes played him on the RW (Aberdeen) and behind the strikers (v Falkirk I think ??) But I just don't see them getting given any kind of look in other than bounce games. The team lacks pace, width and genuine youth/vibrancy. We are now another Falkirk, with bigger ground and fanbase. The football is as dull as dishwater and has been since Irvine Meadow. It is one paced, side to side, lacking creativity and dithery/uncertain/ponderous. NO leadership is also an issue and I am old school too. You NEED a vocal, hardened, experienced captain, who can lead through good and bad.

Now where is that rope with the noose in it I left lying around..............:greengrin

Thanks for saving me a lot of time by expressing these opinions!:agree:

BEEJ
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM

:top marks Agree entirely.

(Although a few paragraph breaks wouldn't have gone amiss ... :greengrin )

truehibernian
11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry mate I agree :greengrin- the space bar on my keyboard is used as many times as Derek is used as a centre forward. I will paragraph more often when there is a change of management who sees my natural keyboard position :greengrin

paxtonhibby
11-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Hats off to you,that had me chuckling.