PDA

View Full Version : Yogi - Not too happy with BBC's Brian McLaughlin !

The Voice Of Reason
09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Must be Yogi's time of the month :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8985939.stm

Don't think the reporter was too over the top tbh.......normally enjoy Yogi's interviews, this one wasn't his best though !

Rivers Cuomo
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Pressure starting to get to Yogi?

Lmc2105
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
He is losing the plot na need for that :agree:

SRHibs
09-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Was a perfectly valid question. Not sure why Yogi is being such a dick about it.:confused:

At The Edge
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
wooosh! who rattled his cage! some say the truth hurts and the guy was only stating facts....

Gus Fring
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I think brian mclaughlin was trying to get a reaction there. He quotes the 6th of march which granted seems like ages ago. But after that date we only played 5 home games against Ross County (2-2) Dundee Utd (2-4) Old Firm (both 1-0) Hearts (1-2) We then played Maribor in the Europa League and Huns as the only home game this season. Granted 7 games is a poor record but it doesn't sound as sensational as the 6th of march.

ancienthibby
09-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I think brian mclaughlin was trying to get a reaction there. He quotes the 6th of march which granted seems like ages ago. But after that date we only played 5 home games against Ross County (2-2) Dundee Utd (2-4) Old Firm (both 1-0) Hearts (1-2) We then played Maribor in the Europa League and Huns as the only home game this season. Granted 7 games is a poor record but it doesn't sound as sensational as the 6th of march.

What's the problem??

Bears are well known for getting sair heids!!:devil:

Stew the Hibee
09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I think he actually makes a few good points tbh. 3 games in, 1 being at home, it's hard to say how the form is going to go. For people who will go back to January, then we could back further to the start of last season, it all depends on where you draw the line. Like he says, if the form is poor in say 5 or 6 games, then we can start taking a look.

Sounds like this Lithuanian striker could be the final striker, any more info on him?

BEEJ
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Pressure starting to get to Yogi?
:agree:

Not the same chirpy individual that was on show this time last year.

MrRobot
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Think he done nothing wrong. Was a crap question. Forget last season, we're in a new season now in which we have had one home game, played very well for 60minutes but just couldnt take our chances on the day.

Cabbage1875
09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Think he done nothing wrong. Was a crap question. Forget last season, we're in a new season now in which we have had one home game, played very well for 60minutes but just couldnt take our chances on the day.

It was a perfectly fine question considering how horrendous we have been for a long time now.

Yogi looks like a man on the defensive, it's quite sad to watch in all honesty.

Gatecrasher
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
worst home record for ages (cant be bothered going back to find the thread) if you look at it that way you can see why it was asked, i dont know why yogi acted the way he did, if he didnt like the question all he needed to say was something like "we hope to change that at the weekend" or something :confused:

PeeKay
09-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Brian McLaughlin has given quite a bit of positive coverage to Yogi in the past. Don't think even a stupid question like the one he posed this time deserved the mauling he got.

The Voice Of Reason
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
It was a perfectly fine question considering how horrendous we have been for a long time now.

:agree: Agreed. As stated in my OP, I normally enjoy Yogi's interviews, however I found this one cringeworthy. He comes across as being a bit of a t&sser tbh.

Not good viewing. :bitchy:

Lucky_Jim
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Perfectly legitimate question in my opinion, which Yogi has totally overreacted to. In fact, is the whole point of such interviews not meant to be so that reporters can ask relatively provocative questions....otherwise it just becomes the usual anodyne drivel where managers and players quote the party line.

The most embarrassing part of it is when Yogi tries to bring up the inclusion of the European game as some form of defence....erm, did we not lose that game 3-2 Yogi?!! And then he tries to talk about our home form in the early part of last season. If it's unfair of the reporter to talk about home form based on a few games this season and games in the latter part of last then how can it be fair game for Yogi to start quoting our form from many months ago?! Can't have your cake and eat it!

Like the OP I'm usually a big fan of Yogi's interviews, but he's made a total dick of himself with this one. The BBC guy was mearly asking the question that most of us fans are asking. Yogi seems to be cracking up if this is anything to go by.

Let's just hope this sort of performance is a one off!

Gus Fring
09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not defending Yogi's reaction cos it definitely could have been handled better. He does come across as a man who's under a lot of strain (the stubble isnt helping lol) . I just thought it sounded worse than it actually was. He could have gone a step further and say its 630 minutes without a win at Easter Road. They key is not to take the bait. Most of us probably manage it when confronted by a yam so yogi should be able to as well.

On the plus side we're obviously still looking at whats available after the window shut and the players we have signed seemed to be fitting in well

Alfred E Newman
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
:agree: Agreed. As stated in my OP, I normally enjoy Yogi's interviews, however I found this one cringeworthy. He comes across as being a bit of a t&sser tbh.

Not good viewing. :bitchy:

Embarrasing. Touched a nerve I think.

givescotlandfreedom
09-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Our recent home record's dire. Head out the sand Yogi it's a perfectly legitimate question after our RECORD BREAKING awful run! His attempt to make Brian McLaughlin look stupid in regard to the trialist backfired too and he just comes across as an arse.

tamig
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Agree totally.

Perfectly valid question and he came across as a total erse at the start of that. Quite embarassing tbh.

Nuitdelune
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I thought he looked unusually rough also

Gus Fring
09-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Brain should have just asked him the question we all want the answer to:

"So John, the teams been poor since January, your out of europe straightaway, you've just lost stokes to celtic and your looking agitated and stressed. When are you getting the boot?"

KiddA
09-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Was a perfectly valid question. Not sure why Yogi is being such a dick about it.:confused:

Because the truth hurts our home record is p#ss poor at the moment and thats why he is getting on the defensive. :agree:

Davy Mac
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Is there some thing wrong with modern day Managers that they can't talk normally and properly during interviews.

Stachanitis if you ask me, but like Levein I want to hear more fighting talk, no more performances like St Mirren/Lichies.

You are only a s good as your last win and tbh, the bit about the Lithuanian guy was poor stuff by Yogi.

We're a top Scottish Club start acting like one.

Baldy Foghorn
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes Yogi, we were in Europe, so what? We lost comprehensively home and away..... Is that the point you were making?

Totally abysmal interview sounding more like wee ginger Strachan in getting uptight and trying to be a smart erse........

.Whitey.
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
definately not yogi's best interview - it must hav been 'one of those days' for him lol :agree:

He seemed under alot of pressure but im sure he'll be back to his normal self soon enough

degenerated
09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
it's a stupid question 3 games into the season and was met with the sort of answer it deserved imo

similarities to this interview :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKV88nEMu50

Baldy Foghorn
09-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Exactly. Yogi could have said we've only been defeated twice since we last won in the league.
not too shabby a statistic.

It's about time reporters were told to away an bile their heeds.

The reporter was correct though relating to our last home win...... Put any spin you want to it, but it still remains the truth

Arch Stanton
09-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Since I've never liked the man this interview does nothing to change my opinion. It does confirm for me though that he has hung his shirt on a 'positive thinking' philosophy, something I also have a low opinion of.

If he is hell bent on blocking out negativity he will never learn from his mistakes. The question he was asked was a perfectly valid one and he couldn't deal with it (and it would be interesting if HI were ever to ask him such a pointed question - would he respond like this?).

In three of the four competitions in which he has been manager we have been abysmal - why can't he give a straight answer as to why that was?

down the slope
09-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Not a worthy reply by a Hibs manager, this was the first serious question put to him in months and he made a complete erse of himself, he hoped that by being a bit threatening the interviewer would stop the probing questions but all that happened was he looked more stupid than usual.

Sumner
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Pathetic from Hughes, how low can he go? :rolleyes:

Captain Trips
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
All that was needed was him asking the reporter if he wanted a big issue, looked pished to me.

California-Hibs
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I actually thought it was a quality interview. Yogi has true passion for our club, you can see it, real passion and a vision on where he wants to take us. The question WAS stupid as we've only played ONE home game THIS season! Its a fresh start, and as he says, ask him after our next 4 or 5 home games. We'll take 6 points over the next two weeks! :agree:

JimBHibees
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Pretty embarressing stuff, wasnt even that smart to try and take the mickey out of the boy regarding the centre forward trialist.

tamig
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
it's a stupid question 3 games into the season and was met with the sort of answer it deserved imo

Never seen that before. Fan****intastic! :greengrin

DC_Hibs
09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
To be fair to Big Yoghurt he is used to his bumhole being tongued by HibsTV interviewers where they will ignore the glaringly obvious questions that need to be asked.

"that's 4 wins in the last 23 competitive games John, talk all you like about there only having been one league game at home this season but you are responsible for signing 15-20 players in 3 transfer windows and you are still no nearer knowing your best team or picking a decent formation. You also still have Hogg and Nish in the team most weeks so without looking at a calendar do you even know what day of the week it is ya dumpling?"

DC_Hibs
09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I actually thought it was a quality interview. Yogi has true passion for our club, you can see it, real passion and a vision on where he wants to take us. The question WAS stupid as we've only played ONE home game THIS season! Its a fresh start, and as he says, ask him after our next 4 or 5 home games. We'll take 6 points over the next two weeks! :agree:

Superb post young man.

You carry on listening to Yogi's PASSIONATE interviews with your jogging bottoms roond your ankles and let the rest of us worry about the results on the park!!!!!!

PeterboroHibee
09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Dont think hes done himself any favours with that interview.

Badly over reacted to the first question, which I dont understand as weve been awful since January; some of the stuff he said made no sense at all. Then tried to deny the one about the Lithuanian guy on trial, even though they had quotes from him, and he eventually had to admit it :confused:.

Really dont know what to take from it, he seemed annoyed at something and while it is possible that it was laziness, the unshaven look makes him look under more pressure for some reason.

Iggy Pope
09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Superb post young man.

You carry on listening to Yogi's PASSIONATE interviews with your jogging bottoms roond your ankles and let the rest of us worry about the results on the park!!!!!!

What a patronising twonk you truly sound.

basehibby
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I can understand a manager feeling frustration at what is a pretty dumb question 3 games into the season. However, Hughes gets 0/10 for his handling of it - no need for the sarcastic BS - just give your response Yogi - ie. "This is a new season so judge my team's form in a month or so once we've got some games under our belt. we've played the champions and a tough European side at ER so far .....etc"

I've stuck up for Yogi plenty enough over comments in interviews which some just can't wait to rip to shreads - on this occasion though I feel he's let himself down. As someone's already posted, journalists are bound to come up with provocative questions now and again - whether they fit in with the training ground mantras or not, it's part of the manager's job to field these questions in a professional manner.

Iggy Pope
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Pretty embarressing stuff, wasnt even that smart to try and take the mickey out of the boy regarding the centre forward trialist.

Dont think hes done himself any favours with that interview.

Badly over reacted to the first question, which I dont understand as weve been awful since January; some of the stuff he said made no sense at all. Then tried to deny the one about the Lithuanian guy on trial, even though they had quotes from him, and he eventually had to admit it :confused:.

Really dont know what to take from it, he seemed annoyed at something and while it is possible that it was laziness, the unshaven look makes him look under more pressure for some reason.

Pathetic from Hughes, how low can he go? :rolleyes:

All that was needed was him asking the reporter if he wanted a big issue, looked pished to me.

To be fair to Big Yoghurt he is used to his bumhole being tongued by HibsTV interviewers where they will ignore the glaringly obvious questions that need to be asked.

"that's 4 wins in the last 23 competitive games John, talk all you like about there only having been one league game at home this season but you are responsible for signing 15-20 players in 3 transfer windows and you are still no nearer knowing your best team or picking a decent formation. You also still have Hogg and Nish in the team most weeks so without looking at a calendar do you even know what day of the week it is ya dumpling?"

It's finally happened - the Hibs / Hertz merger. Albeit only at this rather pathetic 'Fans Forum' level.
Fat Wallet Mercenary would be sooooo proud.
:bye:

lyonhibs
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM

:agree: :agree:

Yogi needs to get a shave and buck up his ideas - pronto. He was asked - in a very reasonable manner by a decent journalist - a very salient question. Our home form is rank, and we haven't dominated a team - any team - home or away for anything like a whole game in months. He's stuck - with almost admirable stubborness - to a formation that doesn't work and involves playing players out of position/staying loyal to players who aren't going to take us anywhere for months on end.

What was that havering about Europe all about?? Does that change the empirical facts - that's the currency I - and most fans - deal in when it comes to football.

If Yogi is going to attend press conferences, he's going to get asked questions (that being part of the point on press conferences) and if want to comes across well in the media, he'll have to do a damn sight better than havering on like that.

He sounded like the smart arse kid at school that always blustered on about anything and everything, and when asked a remotely challenging question would just go "you're gay" or "yer maw"

tamig
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
It's finally happened - the Hibs / Hertz merger. Albeit only at this rather pathetic 'Fans Forum' level.
Fat Wallet Mercenary would be sooooo proud.

Eh :confused:

lyonhibs
09-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Eh :confused:

A good summary of every sober Hibs fans thoughts on HH's "contribution"

EasterRoad4Ever
09-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Cringeworthy stuff from our manager. If a player had answered a question in the same manner he would probably be fined. Horrible.

zlatan
09-09-2010, 07:54 PM
What seemed just as worrying was his attempt to act cute about the Lithuanian trialist before being reminded he had actually mentioned him in the press that very morning :hilarious

Leithenhibby
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
To be fair to Yogi he probably didn't expect the reporter to go way back to last march, ffs :yawn:

The line of questioning was as poor as the answer to be fair. :agree:

sahib
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Cringeworthy stuff from our manager. If a player had answered a question in the same manner he would probably be fined. Horrible.

Only if he tried to be cute about the grass.

flash
09-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Pity. Not only was it not Yogi's finest hour but, far more importantly, he has fed the trolls on this forum.

Groathillgrump
09-09-2010, 08:07 PM
One word sums up that interview - embarrassing!

Did the truth hurt, Yogi?

glow1875
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
To be fair to Yogi he probably didn't expect the reporter to go way back to last march, ffs :yawn:

The line of questioning was as poor as the answer to be fair. :agree:

why not? 6 months a long time? Aye, well it is when you haven't won a home game.

I like Yogi's character and his passion, but there is a time and a place, and he just comes across as a bit of an eejit in that interview.

We can defend him all we like, and I have on many an occassions, but he's not doing himself any favours with that attitude. PR is all part of being a football manager these days, especially when things ain't going so well.

Arch Stanton
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Pity. Not only was it not Yogi's finest hour but, far more importantly, he has fed the trolls on this forum.

He is just as useless at feeding trolls then - I'm famished.

discman
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Not a worthy reply by a Hibs manager, this was the first serious question put to him in months and he made a complete erse of himself, he hoped that by being a bit threatening the interviewer would stop the probing questions but all that happened was he looked more stupid than usual.

not a post "worthy" of a hibs supporter,since when did we bother about the scottish media, "a complete erse" "more stupid than usual" given what he inherited last season,the disruptive element,players wanting away,the lack of quality in obvious positions and can we be really, really clear,yogi doesnt sign players so course hes limited by what hes able to bring in!!!

But am guessing like yer "crabit" mate it wouldnt matter what he did you'd still be moaning yer pusss off .Me! I trust my manager to get us playing the style of football that we got glimpses of last season;one home game this season and you want his head ffs get real:grr:

Baldy Foghorn
09-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Why the need to call fellow fans "trolls"?:confused:

scott_hfc1875
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
overreact.net strikes again :yawn:fair enough he wasnt happy with the question , but yogi and brian are pals and i think yogi taking the piss about the trialist

Baldy Foghorn
09-09-2010, 08:26 PM
not a post "worthy" of a hibs supporter,since when did we bother about the scottish media, "a complete erse" "more stupid than usual" given what he inherited last season,the disruptive element,players wanting away,the lack of quality in obvious positions and can we be really, really clear,yogi doesnt sign players so course hes limited by what hes able to bring in!!!

But am guessing like yer "crabit" mate it wouldnt matter what he did you'd still be moaning yer pusss off .Me! I trust my manager to get us playing the style of football that we got glimpses of last season;one home game this season and you want his head ffs get real:grr:

Hopefully not the style of footbal we have been playing since January??

glow1875
09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Me! I trust my manager to get us playing the style of football that we got glimpses of last season;one home game this season and you want his head ffs get real:grr:

I can't speak for these other posters, but to me it's quite simple:

Should we be getting carried away about a supposedly poor start to the season? No.

But should Yogi conduct his media appearances with a bit more dignity? Aye.

Two separate issues here.

callumstewart
09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
good on yogi thought he handeld it well :thumbsup: lol

JCHibby
09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Not a good interview. Question was a valid one, and an easy answer, give him a bit of humer "Brian are you real, we are only one game in" with a cheeky smile and bit of banter would have worked, then to explain that we hope to sort that record this week and build from there.

And the bit on the trialist oh dear... Looked like a man at the end who has run out of ideas. Still think we will win 3-0 on Saturday though:thumbsup:

flash
09-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Yogi gets worse abuse on here than he does on Kickback. In my humble wee opinion a large section of our fans are far more embarrassing than Yogi ever will be.

ps. you forgot all your wee red raging smileys in your previous post.

Baldy Foghorn
09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Yogi gets worse abuse on here than he does on Kickback. In my humble wee opinion a large section of our fans are far more embarrassing than Yogi ever will be.

ps. you forgot all your wee red raging smileys in your previous post.

So Yogi gets irrate and starts bumblimg about Europe and starts trying to be evasive re striker, which is embarrassing enough for me.......

I will leave it there.:grr:

iwasthere1972
I would rather Yogi gives pash interviews and we do our talking on the pitch than Yogi getting :top marks for his remarks in front of camera and us failing miserably on matchday.

The interview was cringeworthy but so was the leading question considering that we've only played one game at home this season and that was against the huns.

I won't lose any sleep over it anyway.

hibee_nation
good on yogi thought he handeld it well :thumbsup: lol

You would do. LTYF

Arch Stanton
09-09-2010, 08:36 PM

I'm certainly really really clear that 'your manager' does not indeed sign the players for your team - it is common knowledge that Vlad does!

flash
09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
So Yogi gets irrate and starts bumblimg about Europe and starts trying to be evasive re striker, which is embarrassing enough for me.......

I will leave it there.:grr:

It was a bad interview no doubt about it. My point is that he gets slated when he says nothing wrong so it was a shame he loaded the gun for his critics.

flash
09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Maybe because he can barely talk,our talking on the pitch isn't so hot :grr:

No need.

SouthamptonHibs
09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Not winning since the 6th of March is a joke! 7 games on the bounce at home, 6 on the bounce as defeats it just goes to show how bad we've been. After 3 games in i'm already worried it's gonna be a long season. A win on Sat v ICT is a must...if we cannae beat that lot we're likely to be in a dog fight all season. Good news hamilton look gash so we'll no go doon.

Yogi get yer finger oot and get the team winning again....the last outing v St midden was just like many of the last 20 odd games u've been in charge, painful to watch and we look like we could play all day and not score....

Mon the cabbage Hibs to win on Sat

Danderhall Hibs
09-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Hopefully not the style of footbal we have been playing since January??

We pumped Hamilton 5-1 and won 2-1 at Parkhead in January. The style of football was ok.

Brando7
09-09-2010, 09:03 PM
thought it was totally unprofessional from yogi

pressure gettin to him me thinks

IWasThere2016
09-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Flash - why not say that in the first place?

You have a pop at those having a pop .. and then do it yourself with the 'trolls' remark.

Poor judgement from Yogi IMO - he's had similar questions before, and an experienced manager should know better and do better in replying.

scoopyboy
09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
thought it was totally unprofessional from yogi

pressure gettin to him me thinks

I agree totally.

The club should have a word with him about it and possibly consider getting him training on how to deal with the media.

Managers in all professions get training and I don't see that Yogi should be any different.

IWasThere2016
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Scoops - Pal of mine tried once to convince Jim McLean that he and Arab players needed coaching on handling the media. He gave Jim a smooth, twenty minute pitch on his approach, and the benefits etc etc.

Wee Jim looked over his specs and said 'Naw'

Meeting over :faf:

CRAZYHIBBY
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
yogi is clearly under pressure to get results and the last thing he needs is negative news interviews or newspaper articles

ShanksSaidNo
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKV88nEMu50
There are no similarities between these 2 interviews whatsoever. Yogi in my opinion is trying to be clever and sarcastic while at the same time trying to put a funny slant on it. He isn't capable of pulling it off. He in turn is made to look like a complete slaver. From what was in my opinion a perfectly legitimate question he has turned the interview into a cringeworthy embarrassment. Walter Smith on the other hand has taken a ridiculous statement from Chick Young and quite rightly and effortlessly slaughtered him for it.
I can't understand his reaction to the question regarding the Lithuanian boy. Just answer the question - are we signing him or not!

sahib
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree totally.

The club should have a word with him about it and possibly consider getting him training on how to deal with the media.

Managers in all professions get training and I don't see that Yogi should be any different.

No! All you get is double speak. Embarrasing as this is it is, at least an honest reaction. It is right up there with Scott Brown's uncertainty about whether he had been to Petrie's house or not. Craig and Collins impression of Shari Lewis and Lamb chop was pretty good too.

Albion Hibs
09-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I have no issue with Yogi on this one, think he is quite right. The stat is the same, and all jambos use it. If we had not won in however many games in one season I would take note, but judge last season on last season and this season on the results so far. Fact of the matter is our run at the start was good enough, we finished forth, and our start to the season has been reasonable with the exception of St Mirren.

Well said Yogi, let that be a lesson to all journalists who turn up for an interview before a weekend of football - ask about the weekend if ahead. If they are that interested in history they should put down the pen and tape recorded and sod off to work in a museum.

HibeePaj
09-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Perfectly good question and really cant see why Yogi is so p*ssed off. All the points that yogi raised in his answer are perfectly honest and a fair assessment BUT i have no idea why he got worked up over it...

a man feeling the pressure??

i think so

discman
09-09-2010, 09:36 PM

why not? they can heap abuse on the manager of my/our team and you get upset by someone mentioning trolls, gtf....theres a difference from being critical to being offensive and if the argument is "thats their right?" we'll then its my right to question anything about these alleged "fellow fans" :grr:

3pm
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Scoopy - it's not media training he needs, it's 'how to pick a team' training he needs. He's a tit, he should leave.

Albion Hibs
09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Perfectly good question and really cant see why Yogi is so p*ssed off. All the points that yogi raised in his answer are perfectly honest and a fair assessment BUT i have no idea why he got worked up over it...

a man feeling the pressure??

i think so

I dont think so, I think he is probably just wanting to put last season where it belongs, in this history books and get on with the season ahead - I am with him on that one.

Iggy Pope
09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
A good summary of every sober Hibs fans thoughts on HH's "contribution"

Stone cold sober and just back in from my Thursday night 5s.

My 'contribution' was an attempt to draw parallells with the stick that Yogi gets on JKB.
He gets worse on here.
Al that **** about the Big Issue, being unshaven, not being able to talk, getting his wee man licked by Hibs TV....dearie me. What part of that do you not get? If it was not for the green background on the page we could be over the road.

There's a poster on this thread who responds in a condescending manner to another contributor, telling him to effectively put away his knob and pull his joggers up, leaving the Hibs talk to the big men.

And I get called for being less than sober, IYHO.

And why would sobriety come into the question?

You couldn't think of anything else to say, right?

The_Horde
09-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I actually quite like that interview. I think Mcglauchlin was fishing and Yogi was being dead pan and trying to rattle the reporter back. And it clearly worked.

scoopyboy
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Scoopy - it's not media training he needs, it's 'how to pick a team' training he needs. He's a tit, he should leave.

Any idea who would run that course?

Iggy Pope
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
;2572445']I actually quite like that interview. I think Mcglauchlin was fishing and Yogi was being dead pan and trying to rattle the reporter back. And it clearly worked.

Wise words but you're only 19.
Careful or a great big man will come on here with improper suggestions.

PeterboroHibee
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM

My 'contribution' was an attempt to draw parallells with the stick that Yogi gets on JKB.
He gets worse on here.
Al that **** about the Big Issue, being unshaven, not being able to talk, getting his wee man licked by Hibs TV....dearie me. What part of that do you not get? If it was not for the green background on the page we could be over the road.

There's a poster on this thread who responds in a condescending manner to another contributor, telling him to effectively put away his knob and pull his joggers up, leaving the Hibs talk to the big men.

It was me you quoted on the unshaven part. I fail to see whats the problem with that? I didnt insult him (an example you mentioned was the big issue etc), I merely pointed out it made him seem more stressed, that he seemed under pressure.

It wasnt a good interview for whatever reasons, but I suppose it doesnt really matter, as it was only an interview.

3pm
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Hibs.net? :o)

scoopyboy
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Hibs.net? :o)

I walked straight into that one.

3pm
09-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I have not listened to the interview but the general consensus is that he has over reacted. The next two games are really big for him I think. Time will tell.

basehibby
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
It was me you quoted on the unshaven part. I fail to see whats the problem with that? I didnt insult him (an example you mentioned was the big issue etc), I merely pointed out it made him seem more stressed, that he seemed under pressure.

It wasnt a good interview for whatever reasons, but I suppose it doesnt really matter, as it was only an interview.

:top marks What matters is getting 3 points at home to ICT

Sir David Gray
09-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I think it could have been handled a bit better by Hughes but having just watched the interview after reading the comments on here, I don't think it was as bad as some people are making it out to be. I was certainly expecting a lot worse to be honest.

It was a bit Strachan-esque to begin with but I can understand both points of view. The BBC guy was stating facts but as someone who enjoys pointing out statistics to others, I know that such things can be easily manipulated to suit your own agenda and I think that's what the reporter was doing.

When you change things around slightly and say that Hibs haven't won at home in their last seven matches, it still doesn't sound good but it's not quite as dramatic as saying that Hibs haven't won at home for over six months. It becomes even less dramatic when you state that three out of the seven matches were against the Old Firm and a fourth was a European tie that was effectively already over by the time the home leg was played.

I'm not convinced that this season will be a success, it certainly won't be if the St Mirren match is anything to go by but I do think that there was a certain amount of mischief-making by the reporter in that press conference and Hughes took the bait.

Toaods
09-09-2010, 10:31 PM
If we fail to win this weekend there will be a lot more media punters than Brian McLaughlin sharpening their claws for Yogi.

silverhibee
09-09-2010, 11:11 PM
If we fail to win this weekend there will be a lot more media punters than Brian McLaughlin sharpening their claws for Yogi.

Jamesie
09-09-2010, 11:23 PM
He looks, sounds and behaves like a jaikball. Time to go.

TrickyNicky
09-09-2010, 11:30 PM
He looks, sounds and behaves like a jaikball. Time to go.

I think I've found his replacement !
An appointment that's definitely Hibs class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1yM0tXWTII&feature=related

monktonharp
09-09-2010, 11:32 PM
yogi's interview went down like a lead balloon,and he is not the darling of the press anymore,added to that,the fans are turning against him in ever-increasing numbers which must be an added pressure for him and it now looks like he is feeling it. I'm still hoping he turns it round,and secretly hope and pray that his "vision" for Hibernian comes good,but I do feel he is reaching the point where the board make statements like ...........we have every confidence..........back the manager..etc etc,and we all know where that ends up. the next 10 games with 30 points at stake,and if we dont get 17-20 then:bye: because if we cant get that sort of payback before early december we are not gonna be in the frame for a top 4 finish imho. there are 3 players in our team that he insists in playing , and it's f/kin obvious that they are costing us/or have cost us games over a long period, added to some of his positional/substitutions/tactics . c'mon Yogi,get a grip on yersel:grr:

monktonharp
09-09-2010, 11:41 PM
If we fail to win this weekend there will be a lot more media punters than Brian McLaughlin sharpening their claws for Yogi.if we fail to win this weekend,lots more fans will be sharpening mair than their claws. ICT have been a very sore thorn in our side since they made the top flight:grr: and it does ma heid in, although we've beaten them at ER and away at their short term stay at Pittodrie. we should be wiping the floor wi' them,but somehow I feel it wont happen this week.

1875godsgift
10-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Yogi was my choice.I was convinced by his alleged Hibs fan thing.The various media info that assured anyone that cared to listen that even though he can't say the word Leith correctly,that he was much sharper than he sounds and that he is an aficionado of world football,tactics etc..I actually thought that the VERY least he would achieve would be putting the the fear of death into any slackers.He's even proven to be a complete woose on that as well. Really disappointed and that interview was cringeworthy :bitchy:

You are a yam aren't you? You don't have a positive word to say about Hibs and all your posts seem confrontational.
:lolyam::lolyam::lolyam::lolyam::lolyam:

(((Fergus)))
10-09-2010, 01:54 AM

And when he realised it wasn't working, he tried to turn on the charm, "have a laugh and a joke". Exactly the same thing happened with the question about the Lithuanian.

Moulin Yarns
10-09-2010, 05:19 AM

3 games played, 1 at home, 3 points gained. Nothing wrong with that, except, the 3 points were away from home, and the other away game was against a team we should be taking points off.

rubber mal
10-09-2010, 07:01 AM
It was a perfectly valid question and Yogi made a complete tit of himself. He also made a tit of himself later on when asked about the Lithuanian guy.

DCI Gene Hunt
10-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Can't help but feel this is being over-analysed.

Journo asks question, intervewee gets cheesed off - big deal. Handbags. :yawn:

Gene

truehibernian
10-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Have to say (and it is not often), I am siding with JH here. Brian did the same last year, hoping JH would bite (and he did) when he asked questions about the fans and fans on forums turning against him. At that time I think Hughes came out with the old "faceless wonders" line. Brian, with his Hearts tie on no doubt, knew JH would perhaps bite again by the sly dig at the home record, when JH was no doubt just expecting to field the normal ICT and new signings questions. He could have been a bit cuter with the answers but hey-ho you can't take the Leith out the boy and he was just wanting to give Brian a "GIRFUY" routine. JH keeps reiterating he wants positivity and winners, and you cannot help but feel he know wants the players to have the attitude of "lets get right into them" and have this underdog tag. Hopefully the players will have a listen to what Brian is making a dig at and go out on Saturday and give Caley hell. To be honest, Brian McLaughlin has just done our Saturday team talk.

Speedway
10-09-2010, 08:33 AM
It was handbags.

Two separate interviews almost. The one where the manager takes the hump and the one where he talks about his team. It was also conveniently edited.

Strachan has made a career out of doing interviews like that one, he's survived.

Hughes is under pressure, Just about anyone in a senior position is under pressure. Rod's under pressure to protect his investment, SL's under pressure as the top man day to day. High Fiveland is under pressure to keep making a silk purse out of a sow's ear commercially, John Hughes is under pressure because his team's isn't delivering despite increasing the budget and he's also chosen (forced) to sell his top striker.

As supporters :faf: we put most of the pressure on, by not spending our cash and taking time to give out as much negativity as possible online.

No-one can claim that there has ever been a fair balance between praise and criticism under any manager in the internet age. We vent on here, oblivious to the knock on effects and by products. At times it's JKB in all but name and background image.

So I don't see the position changing. If results force Hughes out, the next one in won't get long before he's tartgeted. It's a self defeating exercise. We're top of the league in that at least.

I'll say it again, praise and constructive criticism are essential. Endless negativity against Hibs is simply strengthening the Yams - (The ones who are deluded and have been going out of business for the last five years) Tick tock etc:yawn:

Peevemor
10-09-2010, 08:38 AM
High Fiveland ...:yawn:

:top marks:greengrin

skipster7
10-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Not winning since the 6th of March is a joke! 7 games on the bounce at home, 6 on the bounce as defeats it just goes to show how bad we've been. After 3 games in i'm already worried it's gonna be a long season. A win on Sat v ICT is a must...if we cannae beat that lot we're likely to be in a dog fight all season. Good news hamilton look gash so we'll no go doon.

Yogi get yer finger oot and get the team winning again....the last outing v St midden was just like many of the last 20 odd games u've been in charge, painful to watch and we look like we could play all day and not score....

Mon the cabbage Hibs to win on Sat

while i agree our end to LAST season was poor, to quote actual dates rather than games is a nonsense considering the close season and seemed an attempt to worsen the statistic which yogi took offence to.
THIS season we have played one home league match against the scottish champions where we were the better side for the first hour and should have taken the lead.nobody can deny that we had a major dip for the last 3rd of LAST season but i would imagine even if we win our next 2 home games some will prefer to somehow merge last seasons slump into this season for their negative means:bitchy:
its a new season FFS, lets hold back the dogs for a wee while and see where we are after about a dozen games.

HFC 0-7
10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
while i agree our end to LAST season was poor, to quote actual dates rather than games is a nonsense considering the close season and seemed an attempt to worsen the statistic which yogi took offence to.
THIS season we have played one home league match against the scottish champions where we were the better side for the first hour and should have taken the lead.nobody can deny that we had a major dip for the last 3rd of LAST season but i would imagine even if we win our next 2 home games some will prefer to somehow merge last seasons slump into this season for their negative means:bitchy:
its a new season FFS, lets hold back the dogs for a wee while and see where we are after about a dozen games.

I didnt see anything wrong with question put to Yogi, if the guy was realy wanting a rise he could have went down the line of mentioning that this run of home form is the worst in Hibs history! How would Yogi have reacted to: - So John, you are the manager in charge when a new record was set for the worst run of home results in hibs history, how do you turn that around?

The line of questioning, mentioning dates was the correct one from the reporter as this is the sort of thing that can change players mentalities when they know they havent won a game in front of their home fans since March.

IMO, hughes was embarrasing in his attempts to make the interviewer look stupid, but, I think it was just an off day for hughes. He may have had an arguement with his wife that morning and was feeling the rage and Brian was the one that took the backlash. We have all done it when we have lashed out at someone when it wasnt there fault. For all I care yogi can pick his nose and eat it at every interview saying every question was stupid as long as the team does well on the pitch. At the moment the team isnt so anything Yogi does is wrong.

Stevie Reid
10-09-2010, 09:26 AM
It was handbags.

Two separate interviews almost. The one where the manager takes the hump and the one where he talks about his team. It was also conveniently edited.

Strachan has made a career out of doing interviews like that one, he's survived.

Hughes is under pressure, Just about anyone in a senior position is under pressure. Rod's under pressure to protect his investment, SL's under pressure as the top man day to day. High Fiveland is under pressure to keep making a silk purse out of a sow's ear commercially, John Hughes is under pressure because his team's isn't delivering despite increasing the budget and he's also chosen (forced) to sell his top striker.

As supporters :faf: we put most of the pressure on, by not spending our cash and taking time to give out as much negativity as possible online.

No-one can claim that there has ever been a fair balance between praise and criticism under any manager in the internet age. We vent on here, oblivious to the knock on effects and by products. At times it's JKB in all but name and background image.

So I don't see the position changing. If results force Hughes out, the next one in won't get long before he's tartgeted. It's a self defeating exercise. We're top of the league in that at least.

I'll say it again, praise and constructive criticism are essential. Endless negativity against Hibs is simply strengthening the Yams - (The ones who are deluded and have been going out of business for the last five years) Tick tock etc:yawn:

Spot on Speedway :top marks

This site and the abuse our manager takes most of the time, makes me sick. This is a four page thread which is an angry reaction to an interview. Unbelievable.

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2010, 09:29 AM
why not? they can heap abuse on the manager of my/our team and you get upset by someone mentioning trolls, gtf....theres a difference from being critical to being offensive and if the argument is "thats their right?" we'll then its my right to question anything about these alleged "fellow fans" :grr:

What are you slavering about "alleged fellow fans"......

Of course it is your perogative to back Yogi, whilst others dont, but no need to put alleged fellow fans comment in, when their opinion differs from yours.............

AgentDaleCooper
10-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Must be Yogi's time of the month :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8985939.stm

Don't think the reporter was too over the top tbh.......normally enjoy Yogi's interviews, this one wasn't his best though !

really?! they make me utterly cringe, cliche after cliche, talking the talk and either defending things that cannot be defended or owning up to things that he fails to actually sort out.

EDIT: just watched the footage...bit when yogi sarcastically says "well was there a psyche at the start of last season?", to which the reporter dead pans - "probably"...made me laugh

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2010, 09:38 AM
really?! they make me utterly cringe, cliche after cliche, talking the talk and either defending things that cannot be defended or owning up to things that he fails to actually sort out.

EDIT: just watched the footage...bit when yogi sarcastically says "well was there a psyche at the start of last season?", to which the reporter dead pans - "probably"...made me laugh

I have had "a right good look" at Yogi's interviews, and they are laden with cliches.......

nickwhibs
10-09-2010, 09:43 AM

:top marks.As much as I'm not Yogi's biggest fan I agree with you there. Shows passion to me.

AgentDaleCooper
10-09-2010, 09:44 AM

I have had "a right good look" at Yogi's interviews, and they are laden with cliches.......

to be fair to him, he always gives it "a right good go".

silverhibee
10-09-2010, 09:50 AM
:top marks.As much as I'm not Yogi's biggest fan I agree with you there. Shows passion to me.

Sorry, but that didn't look like passion to me.

bawheid
10-09-2010, 09:59 AM

He gets worse on here.

Spot on Speedway :top marks

This site and the abuse our manager takes most of the time, makes me sick. This is a four page thread which is an angry reaction to an interview. Unbelievable.

Agree with this.

I didn't realise so many Hibs fans were such stuck-up snobs. Quite shocking really.

He didn't shave? He doesn't speak the Queen's English? Oh FFS. :rolleyes:

There are those on this site who made their mind up on Hughes long before he even arrived. Loads of them are on this thread.

The sad fact is that there's probably nothing Hughes can do to change their opinion, because their minds were made up when he was Falkirk manager.

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Agree with this.

I didn't realise so many Hibs fans were such stuck-up snobs. Quite shocking really.

There are those on this site who made their mind up on Hughes long before he even arrived. Loads of them are on this thread.

The sad fact is that there's probably nothing Hughes can do to change their opinion, because their minds were made up when he was Falkirk manager.

Of course there are things Yogi can do to get the fans on his side, like pick a formation that has shape, width and pace, make changes to influence the game, and start winning games, after all that is the objective of his role, and I am sure if we win more games the fans will certainly lay off him...........

bawheid
10-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Of course there are things Yogi can do to get the fans on his side, like pick a formation that has shape, width and pace, make changes to influence the game, and start winning games, after all that is the objective of his role, and I am sure if we win more games the fans will certainly lay off him...........

You only have to look at some of the comments from Hibs supporters (:confused:) on this thread. Unshaven, doesn't speak right, looks drunk, etc, etc....that has nothing to do with how he sets his team out and tells you everything you need to know about why those supporters (:rolleyes:) don't want him in charge.

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
You only have to look at some of the comments from Hibs supporters (:confused:) on this thread. Unshaven, doesn't speak right, looks drunk, etc, etc....that has nothing to do with how he sets his team out and tells you everything you need to know about why those supporters (:rolleyes:) don't want him in charge.

To be fair Bawheid, Yogi does look ill/tired, so the above descriptions all point to the same thing, that he is certainly feeling the pressure.............

marinello59
10-09-2010, 10:26 AM

He has made mistakes. Having the temerity to be a Leither talking like a Leither isn't one of them though.

Makaveli
10-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I thought this thread seemed over the top but I've just had a chance to watch the interview and Jesus Christ, he's becoming an embarrassment :bitchy:

J-C
10-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Well I couldn't be ersed trawling through 4 pages of people having a go at Yogi cause he didn't think the question was relevent.
As he was trying desperately to point out to Mclaughlin, it's a new season and as such we've had 1 home game, if after 6-7 home games the record is the same, then ask that question.
Liked the way he kidded on that he knew nothing about a Lithuanian striker, with a wry smile on his face, shows he's still Yogi with a humour, also sounded positive about said striker.
By the way, the interview was probably taken straight after training, Yogi hadn't shaved and was probably tired cause that's what you look like at 11am straight of the pitch and in need of a shower and a coffee.

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Well I couldn't be ersed trawling through 4 pages of people having a go at Yogi cause he didn't think the question was relevent.
As he was trying desperately to point out to McGloughlan, it's a new season and as such we've had 1 home game, if after 6-7 home games the record is the same, then ask that question.
Liked the way he kidded on that he knew nothing about a Lithuanian striker, with a wry smile on his face, shows he's still Yogi with a humour, also sounded positive about said striker.
By the way, the interview was probably taken straight after training, Yogi hadn't shaved and was probably tired cause that's what you look like at 11am straight of the pitch and in need of a shower and a coffee.

Thanks for explaining your interview Yogi........:greengrin:wink:

J-C
10-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for explaining your interview Yogi........:greengrin:wink:

It gets hellova depressing signing in to .Net and continually reading negative posts, just for the sake of it.

GreenPJ
10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
As he was trying desperately to point out to Mclaughlin, it's a new season and as such we've had 1 home game, if after 6-7 home games the record is the same, then ask that question.

I don't care if he had shaved or not but he could and should have handled that interview better. Was he trying to be Strachanesque with his approach?

We have had two home games this season so far and lost them both, its not a lot of games to base an assumption on but he could have done better in explaining that, his immediate gip about oh aye we were in Europe was like a Hibs fan and a Yam having a bun fight in the office.

Not sure what led to this display and whether pressure genuinely is getting to him or just a bad day but I hope he reverts to type soon and is back to being a more positive Yogi having banter with the press rather than agrivating them.

McIntosh
10-09-2010, 11:22 AM
This was not Yogi's finest hour but I hope and I am sure he will be a big enough man to admit it.

ahibby
10-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Yogi was asked a question relating back to last season and he dodged it. Hibs have still to win at home after I don't know how many SPL games but it's a good few now. That's what the question was about. It's a relevant question and the home results could affect home attendances and I for one would like to hear Yogi's thoughts on why we didn't win many games in that period and none at home. Seems a fair question to me and Yogi is sensitive to it. He will probably be vindicated though when we win our next five home games:wink:

bawheid
10-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Jesus Christ, he's becoming an embarrassment :bitchy:

That's one for the holy ground surely? :greengrin

joe breezy
10-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I love the Scots accent, dialect and language so I would never suggest Yogi lacks mentally due to how he speaks in terms of the aforementioned attributes.

However he is clearly a ****ing idiot and was really embarassing here.

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Aye the threads full of Yams. Move along nothing to see here.

The fact is the team has been rubbish and the manager has - quite rightly been called into question.

However you are right, how he speaks doesn't matter, it's how he speaks to the players. How he looks doesn't matter, although he did look a lot more smartly turned out, and had a big grin when things were going his way.

It might be pathetic for people to question the manager's behaviour when the team is playing well. It is also pathetic for people to try and divert criticism by aggression, or questioning the legitimacy of the questions and questioners.

Verdict: plot lost and penny dropping.

bawheid
10-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Aye the threads full of Yams. Move along nothing to see here.

It might be pathetic for people to question the manager's behaviour when the team is playing well. It is also pathetic for people to try and divert criticism by aggression, or questioning the legitimacy of the questions and questioners.

Not sure anyone was saying the thread was full of yams, were they? I certainly wasn't.

However there's definitely a significant minority of Hibs fans who aren't comfortable with the way Hughes talks, his appearance, his (supposed) intellect and the fact that he's a Leither. It's been commented on (guffawed at?) plenty of times dating back to his early days as Falkirk manager.

I'm all for constructive criticism of Hughes selections/tactics/decision making - heaven knows there's more than enough to be getting on with with that, never mind falsely accusing him of being a drunk.

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Not sure anyone was saying the thread was full of yams, were they? I certainly wasn't.

However there's definitely a significant minority of Hibs fans who aren't comfortable with the way Hughes talks, his appearance, his (supposed) intellect and the fact that he's a Leither. It's been commented on (guffawed at?) plenty of times dating back to his early days as Falkirk manager.

I'm all for constructive criticism of Hughes selections/tactics/decision making - heaven knows there's more than enough to be getting on with with that, never mind falsely accusing him of being a drunk.

Sorry, I'm just picking up on one of Yogi's (numerous) howlers, when he went on Real Radio and said that the likes of Hibs.net is inhabitied by Yams.

My take on it is that if he is inarticulate talking to the public or media, then he is probably inarticulate talking to the players as well. I feel that there have been a lot of times that the players haven't known what they are meant to be doing.

It's hardly surprising when Yogi comes out with a different master plan week in week out. Fair's fair though, if he isn't too hot at speaking to the press, he should maybe follow the model of someone like Billy Davis, rather than opening his gob at every opportunity.

Like it or not, part of being a football manager is whether the fans have faith in you. We are looking for explanations for why the team has been so humpty for so long, and eyes are turning more and more to the manager.

It might be 2+2=5, and that there are other reasons. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone cares what he looks or sounds like as long as the team plays well.

It's just that evidence suggests that the most successful managers present themselves in a way that doesn't make a rod for their own back.

As for people suggesting he was drunk, that's just plain stupid - probably Yams.

Verdict: Hibs bad run of form may or may not be down to the manager's communication skills.

BEEJ
10-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Like it or not, part of being a football manager is whether the fans have faith in you. We are looking for explanations for why the team has been so humpty for so long, and eyes are turning more and more to the manager.

It might be 2+2=5, and that there are other reasons. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone cares what he looks or sounds like as long as the team plays well.

It's just that evidence suggests that the most successful managers present themselves in a way that doesn't make a rod for their own back.
:top marks

The longer a run of bad form continues the more the focus falls upon the manager; his every word is assessed by supporters to try and fathom out whether he seems to know what the problem is and whether he has a plan.

If only it was as simple as personal agendas and deep personal hatred. :rolleyes:

hibiedude
10-09-2010, 02:41 PM

The tuth hurts and Yogi knows it he is under pressure to get things right on the park or he'll be shown the door.

iwasthere1972
10-09-2010, 02:57 PM

The tuth hurts and Yogi knows it he is under pressure to get things right on the park or he'll be shown the door.

Well I for one won't be visiting this messageboard for at least a fortnight if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow. Unless it's just to vote on the "Should Yogi resign?" thread.

Do any of your sources know what door will be used and a time? Cheers :agree:

Speedway
10-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Yogi should be shown the door to the dentists in that case.

Brizo
10-09-2010, 03:10 PM
It wasnt Yogis accent or unshaven coupon that I found cringeworthy. I never expected him to conduct interviews in the style of Stephen Fry. It was the whole wideo attitude towards the reporter which I found dissapointing , particularly as I thought the interviewers questions were pretty mild. Yogi came across like some sunday amateur radgemanager whos just stepped off the Jack Kane and had a microphone shoved under their nose. Totally unprofessional and if thats the public face of Yogi .......

Speedway
10-09-2010, 03:13 PM
It wasnt Yogis accent or unshaven coupon that I found cringeworthy. I never expected him to conduct interviews in the style of Stephen Fry. It was the whole wideo attitude towards the reporter which I found dissapointing , particularly as I thought the interviewers questions were pretty mild. Yogi came across like some sunday amateur radgemanager whos just stepped off the Jack Kane and had a microphone shoved under their nose. Totally unprofessional and if thats the public face of Yogi .......

Now THERE would be a computer game worth playing.

iwasthere1972
10-09-2010, 03:25 PM

The best thing he could do right now is cancel his subscription to the "Gazza School of Interviewing Skills" and spend the money on a Philishave.

It makes sense.

Does anyone know when the Falkirk Wheel will be unveiled at Easter Road and if it will play tomorrow?

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM

skipster7
10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
My take on it is that if he is inarticulate talking to the public or media, then he is probably inarticulate talking to the players as well. I feel that there have been a lot of times that the players haven't known what they are meant to be doing.

Verdict: Hibs bad run of form may or may not be down to the manager's communication skills.

im sure for deeks, nish & all the scottish lads its like speaking a different language:confused:
verdict= baws

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 04:16 PM
im sure for deeks, nish & all the scottish lads its like speaking a different language:confused:
verdict= baws:wink:

Nonsense is nonsense whatever language you are speaking.

Verdict: Didn't think it through. :wink:

EasterRoad4Ever
10-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I think it could have been handled a bit better by Hughes but having just watched the interview after reading the comments on here, I don't think it was as bad as some people are making it out to be. I was certainly expecting a lot worse to be honest.

It was a bit Strachan-esque to begin with but I can understand both points of view. The BBC guy was stating facts but as someone who enjoys pointing out statistics to others, I know that such things can be easily manipulated to suit your own agenda and I think that's what the reporter was doing.

When you change things around slightly and say that Hibs haven't won at home in their last seven matches, it still doesn't sound good but it's not quite as dramatic as saying that Hibs haven't won at home for over six months. It becomes even less dramatic when you state that three out of the seven matches were against the Old Firm and a fourth was a European tie that was effectively already over by the time the home leg was played.

I'm not convinced that this season will be a success, it certainly won't be if the St Mirren match is anything to go by but I do think that there was a certain amount of mischief-making by the reporter in that press conference and Hughes took the bait.

It was obvious that the reporter was trying to stir it up, and Yogi swallowed it hook line and sinker. HOWEVER, in my view it was a perfectly valid and pertinent question; one which Hughes should have been expecting at some stage, and one which WE as supporters had been asking in the close season. If I recall, this is Hibs WORST run of results ever at Easter Road ? If that's correct, then Hughes needs to be acknowledging it and explaining what he plans to do about addressing the problem. If nothing else, he could have acknowledged that Hibs fans have had little to nothing to enjoy in 2010. The results tell you that. Hughes is still very much living on his early success in 2009. Since then, it has been nothing short of pathetic.

So, was it a maverick reporter trying to make a name for themselves and cause Hibs some trouble ? No, he asked a sensitive question in a professional manner and got jumped on by the man who is accountable and answerable. Hughes' reaction was really poor and typical of a man under intense pressure - not brought on him by the demands of the supporters, or the media, or the Board. But by his own dismal performance as a football manager. Suck it up Hughes.

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 04:38 PM
c.

So, was it a maverick reporter trying to make a name for themselves and cause Hibs some trouble ? No, he asked a sensitive question in a professional manner and got jumped on by the man who is accountable and answerable. Hughes' reaction was really poor and typical of a man under intense pressure - not brought on him by the demands of the supporters, or the media, or the Board. But by his own dismal performance as a football manager. Suck it up Hughes.

Great post, but I think a lot of people under pressure don't react like that. Yogi's reaction was more akin to a playground bully when someone stands up to them.

Green_one
10-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I have been saying for months that Hughes should simply say a LOT less than he does. He seems to think he is good at handling the press and what he says is worth hearing but too often this is not the case.

Basically he needs to avoid exposure, keep it frank and simple and above all get it right on the pitch. Results dictate how easy it will be to handle press questions. He certainly needs to shave. Its a small point but media wise its a real negative to look slovenly.

The one piece of real information I got from that was he seems positive about the Lithuanian guy. He must be at least be considering signing him soon or dropping that option

Hibby 2005
10-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Yogi looked and sounded like a man under pressure. Hopefully just a one-off.

Mickey Edwards
10-09-2010, 06:14 PM
just watched it

FFS what is the ****ing problem ?????

The interview was fine

Too many "outraged from Tunbridge Wells" ******s on here

Arch Stanton
10-09-2010, 06:43 PM
just watched it

FFS what is the ****ing problem ?????

The interview was fine

Too many "outraged from Tunbridge Wells" ******s on here

Fine huh?

My idea of a fine reply would be along the lines of "we're not looking back to March - this is a new season and I've every confidence,,,,,,,,, blah de blah de usual Yogi type reply".

Of course, you're maybe easier pleased than me (btw, it seems to me that you are the outraged poster here).

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
just watched it

ffs what is the ****ing problem ?????

The interview was fine

too many "outraged from tunbridge wells" ******s on here

fact?

endof?

IMO?

Tha Cabbage Kid
10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm behind yogi on this one.
Yeah maybe he was stressed or what ever but at the end of the day we have only played 1 home game. i think he can say whatever he likes. unless he came out and said "ah your right brian our players are pish and im a sh*t manager." wonder how people would feel about that.

OMG hes lost his mind, get him out!!! ahhhhh!!!!

Jonnyboy
10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't care if he doesn't shave

As a Leither myself I don't care how he speaks

As a Hibs fan I do care how the Hibs manager conducts himself

Yogi and Brian McLaughlin are long time buddies and are forever kidding each other on but in my view that kind of behaviour should be kept well away from the 'formal' setting of a media interview. That's where I feel Yogi let himself down.

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm behind yogi on this one.
Yeah maybe he was stressed or what ever but at the end of the day we have only played 1 home game. i think he can say whatever he likes. unless he came out and said "ah your right brian our players are pish and im a sh*t manager." wonder how people would feel about that.

OMG hes lost his mind, get him out!!! ahhhhh!!!!

I think there might be a "third way".

matty_f
10-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Right, he's not killed anyone - he's just been a bit nippy with a reporter. It happens with lots of managers with lots of journalists.

Sure they've kissed and made up now.

Arch Stanton
10-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Right, he's not killed anyone - he's just been a bit nippy with a reporter. It happens with lots of managers with lots of journalists.

Sure they've kissed and made up now.

It isn't Brian that needs an apology - he got a great interview after all - it's the Hibs' fans who watched their football club, in the person of John Hughes, acting in an ugly and unseemly way.

Andy74
10-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Drama Queen Central this one. Man up boys!

YetholmHibee
11-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Easter Road a fortress! :bitchy:

In 2010 at home we have beaten . .

Irvine Meadow 3-0
Hamilton 5-1
St. Mirren 2-1
Montrose 5-1
Kilmarnock 1-0

A real good record to defend & to get so upset about. :rolleyes: :grr:

The reporter has done his homework & was generous . . . the next 3 games after 6th March (Kilmarnock) against Hearts & Ross County (x2) took the stuffing out of us BIG TIME - and never recovered!

Yogi's interview response to the reporter was piss poor.

A man on death's row response - all the stands need to be filled . . can he do it?

. . . I don't think so. The decline is already in progress & the obvious will happen.

Arch Stanton
11-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Drama Queen Central this one. Man up boys!

What a beautifully phrased gratuitous insult, you must be proud.

J-C
11-09-2010, 08:06 AM
It isn't Brian that needs an apology - he got a great interview after all - it's the Hibs' fans who watched their football club, in the person of John Hughes, acting in an ugly and unseemly way.

You have the perfect name for this thread.:yawn:

Craig_in_Prague
11-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Noticed he mentioned AGAIN that there's a "real edge in training"

unfortunately, Football matters on weekends Mr Hughes.

J-C
11-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Wonder if the negativity that Stokes brought to the changing room has gone since he went west.

IndieHibby
11-09-2010, 08:21 AM
This entire thread is more embarassing than that interview. Any 'outsider-looking in' would get a good deal more thrills from the thread than the interview.

It's a little sad, really....

imo. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM

It can only be a matter of time till there's a "real buzz about the place".

This entire thread is more embarassing than that interview. Any 'outsider-looking in' would get a good deal more thrills from the thread than the interview.

imo. :greengrin

Yogi makes the bullets, we only fire them.

flash
11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Shame its blanks being fired.

Phil D. Rolls
11-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Shame its blanks being fired.

Faced with arguments like that, blanks are all that is needed.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_X7cq0i0IwXc/SwHm3O_1KuI/AAAAAAAABrg/dKqdfNAdCgY/s1600/hirst_flock.jpg

hibiedude
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Well I for one won't be visiting this messageboard for at least a fortnight if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow. Unless it's just to vote on the "Should Yogi resign?" thread.

Do any of your sources know what door will be used and a time? Cheers :agree:

What's the point in Bulding a new stand when the product on the field is piss poor :confused:

Build a new stand and its 3/4 Full when the old firm visit.

How many fans are staying away because Yogi hasn't got a clue.

Or as a Hibs fan are we not allowed to ask these questions.

If at any time Yogi proves me wrong I'll be the first to put my hands up and say sorry its a pity the happy clappers only post to tell us that Yogi is the man for Hibs but fail to tell us where we have improved under his leadership. :confused:

And the door Yogi will soon be using is called the EXIT DOOR

Jim44
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
What's the point in Bulding a new stand when the product on the field is piss poor :confused:
:confused:

:agree: But then I suppose it's like refurbishing your bathroom. You're not going to increase your bowel and bladder movement but you'll enjoy the environment a wee bit more. :greengrin

hibiedude
11-09-2010, 12:35 PM
:agree: But then I suppose it's like refurbishing your bathroom. You're not going to increase your bowel and bladder movement but you'll enjoy the environment a wee bit more. :greengrin

I cant help thinking that bladder movement and Yogi have a lot in common :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
IndieHibby

imo.
You may think this thread is more embarrassing than the interview, but the FACT is Yogi actually handed this thread to us on a plate, if anyone is to blame for this EMBARRASSING thread then its Hughes
Yogi has proved alot of people right with this interview, he hasnt got a clue and has lost the plot. His time is up Im afraid, we should be cutting our losses now.

Phil MaGlass
11-09-2010, 01:16 PM

AYE we would be top of the table if it had anything to do with having an edge in training.:greengrin

hibiedude
11-09-2010, 01:21 PM
AYE we would be top of the table if it had anything to do with having an edge in training.:greengrin

Someone should explain to yogi that you don't get 3 points for having an edge at training. :greengrin

Littlest Hobo
11-09-2010, 01:27 PM
The question asked should have been when are you going to realise that your captain is helping you quicken the end of your Hibernian career?:agree:

Oh and it's three, not shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :wink:

JohnScott
11-09-2010, 04:52 PM
You have the perfect name for this thread.:yawn:

Were both in the same age bracket so I'm assuming you've watched the Hibs as long as I have? That being said I can't believe your reaction! Surely it matters how our manager conducts himself. He represents our club for crying out loud. How can he sit and mouth off in his office at the behaviour of players away from the ground when he himself conducts himself like a fanny publicly? If he doesn't have the class to handle what was a fair question he should piss off now. (the reporter didn't start by saying March by the way!!!) He's not at Falkirk now. He's at a team striving to challenge the Old Firm and with an infrastructure the envy of many.

And for Christs sake Yogi get a shave when your at it! You looked like a jakey, not the manager of Hibernian Football Club!