PDA

View Full Version : NHC George Peat WTF?

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
What a damn cheek this nobody has slagging off the tartan army for booing the Liechtenstein national anthem :grr:

Does his hearing not extend to these slimeballs up the M8 when they are spouting sectarian bile at just about every away game they play, whatever your views on the tartan army are I feel disgusted that this stuffed shirt has got the balls to slag them off, they are the best behaved and most loved supporters in the world alongside perhaps Brazil

Peat, F*** Off!

basehibby
09-09-2010, 01:48 PM
What a damn cheek this nobody has slagging off the tartan army for booing the Liechtenstein national anthem :grr:

Does his hearing not extend to these slimeballs up the M8 when they are spouting sectarian bile at just about every away game they play, whatever your views on the tartan army are I feel disgusted that this stuffed shirt has got the balls to slag them off, they are the best behaved and most loved supporters in the world alongside perhaps Brazil

Peat, F*** Off!

WTF did he expect? Did you hear the tune they were singing it to?!? :grr::grr::grr:

Hibbyradge
09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
WTF did he expect? Did you hear the tune they were singing it to?!? :grr::grr::grr:

It's the tune to their national anthem.

What tune would you expect them to sing it to?

easty
09-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Peat, F*** Off!

To a point I agree with him, it was uncalled for to boo the national anthem, regardless of its tune.

However, the cheek of the man for coming out and publically judging the Scotland fans for it, while keeping tight-lipped about the sectarian drivel that "they" come out with is shocking.

Hibbyradge
09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Peat, F*** Off!

I'm a paid up member of the Scotland Supporters Club, aka the Tartan Army and I don't want to be compared to the bigots of the Old Firm.

We should be better then that.

The booing on Tuesday was disgraceful and I'll be surprised if UEFA don't have something to say about it.

Frazerbob
09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I was at the game and yes, a few folk did boo once they realised the tune was the the same as GSTQ however, nearly everyone in the stadium applauded at the end of the anthem. I travel all over with Scotland and have NEVER seen our anthem applauded in this way. Funny how Peat neglected to comment on this.

If this is the biggest problem the SFA have with the Tartan Army, we're doing OK. Maybe Peat would be better served worrying about the pathetic perfromance from the imposters on the park and in the dug out.

bighairyfaeleith
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I was at the game and yes, a few folk did boo once they realised the tune was the the same as GSTQ however, nearly everyone in the stadium applauded at the end of the anthem. I travel all over with Scotland and have NEVER seen our anthem applauded in this way. Funny how Peat neglected to comment on this.

If this is the biggest problem the SFA have with the Tartan Army, we're doing OK. Maybe Peat would be better served worrying about the pathetic perfromance from the imposters on the park and in the dug out.

exactly, it is a poor attempt to deflect attention away from the performance on the pitch.

Judas Iscariot
09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
:grr:

I near through my "See you Jimmy hat" out the window in disgust :bitchy:

Frazerbob
09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm a paid up member of the Scotland Supporters Club, aka the Tartan Army and I don't want to be compared to the bigots of the Old Firm.

The booing on Tuesday was disgraceful and I'll be surprised if UEFA don't have something to say about it.

We are better than that.

Don't get carried away with the booing. Yes, it shouldn't have happened but it wasn't that many folk and I think they (wrongly) thought it was just a bit of fun.

Did you see almoast every fan, to a man, applaud at the end of their anthem? As a "fully paid up member" have you ever seen FOS received in the same way anywhere on your travels? I can't recall it ever from my 30 odd away games.

Mountains out of mole hills!

Steve20
09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
The people who booed the national anthem were out of order. So, what's the problem?

I am sure Scotland fans would complain if Flower of Scotland was booed.

Frazerbob
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
The people who booed the national anthem were out of order. So, what's the problem?

Yes they were but does Peat not have some more pressing issues to address and I repeat for the third time, why didn't he prais the ovation their anthem received from 99% of the fans when it finished?

Brooster
09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
So what, a national anthem got booo'd. Some folk need to toughen up and just get on with things. He wasnt so quick to speak up when Ferguson and McGregor were rolling about the team hotel pissed at 5 in the morning.

johnrebus
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM

I would boo, ' Flower of Scotland ', too, given the chance.

What a bloody awful dirge.

:grr:

Sir David Gray
09-09-2010, 02:52 PM
If the booing of a national anthem was the most pressing concern for the SFA to worry about, I can understand Peat coming out to condemn the fans who booed because it doesn't show the Scotland fans in a particularly good light, in fact it makes them look a bit small minded.

As it is, though, I believe he should be slightly more concerned with the disgraceful performance of the players on the pitch than getting all over-excited about the booing.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Peat, F*** Off!

Evidence?

I'm sure they're more welcome than many (especially my own English compatriots), but TBH I've never heard them referred to as "most loved supporters" other than by other Scots. :duck:

Broken Gnome
09-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Did Liechtenstein deserve an apology? Yes. Is there potential for UEFA to punish the SFA? Apparently so. Is the President of the SFA therefore duty bound to condemn what happened, regardless of previous good behaviour, subsequent good behaviour or how rotten the national team is, or even how he is still in a job? Course he is. Simple.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't think a national team's anthem should ever be booed, but I imagine a majority of the Scots who did boo it on Tuesday did not realise it was Liechtenstein's anthem and booed it for obvious reasons.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Evidence?

I'm sure they're more welcome than many (especially my own English compatriots), but TBH I've never heard them referred to as "most loved supporters" other than by other Scots. :duck:

Have you not? that's a shame because you must lead a very blinkered life mate, unlike your moronic lot we have an untarnished reputation throughout Europe for good behavior and sporting losers (which we are kings of the world at!) facts not fantasy :wink:

GordonHFC
09-09-2010, 03:35 PM
The only problem I see here is because it was aimed a little country such as Liechtenstein. If this had been a Scotland v England match would the SFA have made such a fuss. I don't think so.

I am not condoning the booing of any National Anthem and I think it is down right disrespectful but there has to be a consistency here and not just make noises because it was a small country.

I do think it was down to the tune but that is no excuse. If that is their Anthem then respect it. We boo the England Anthem because of the words not the tune.

basehibby
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
It's the tune to their national anthem.

What tune would you expect them to sing it to?

How about the theme tune to the archers as suggested by Mr B Connelly?

Seriously though - I'd imagine that many of the booers had their tongues firmly in cheek - tartan army in sense of humour shock - who'd have thought it!

That tune was always going to get a booing off the TA, tongue in cheek or otherwise - as RicheyWhite has posted, I'm sure Peat is perfectly aware of that but is duty bound to admonish it as head beak at the SFA.

Not the first time I've witnessed booing of anthems at Hamden by the way - I remember Scotland playing Greece in a vital WC qualifier and their anthem got booed to the rafters. I think it was in retaliation to the same thing happening to FOS in Greece but it didn't stop me getting a right beamer sitting next to my then girlfriend who's family all hailed from the home of Socrates.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Have you not? that's a shame because you must lead a very blinkered life mate, unlike your moronic lot we have an untarnished reputation throughout Europe for good behavior and sporting losers (which we are kings of the world at!) facts not fantasy :wink:

I've no doubt the TA's reputation is extremely good. However to say they're the "most loved supporters in the world" is quite a claim, rivalled only by "the best small country in the world". :wink: My point is that there's a touch of the "here's tae us, wha's like us" mentality in all this.

And I wouldn't ever try to defend the actions of English hooligans, so don't just lump us all in together, thanks very much.

(((Fergus)))
09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm sure the Liechtensteiners are aware that they share their music with England, that Scotland and England are rivals, and will therefore understand this bit of football banter.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm sure the Liechtensteiners are aware that they share their music with England, that Scotland and England are rivals, and will therefore understand this bit of football banter.

Agreed, and I don't think they'll be losing a lot of sleep over it - only over that last minute goal!

basil fawlty
09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
The only problem I see here is because it was aimed a little country such as Liechtenstein. If this had been a Scotland v England match would the SFA have made such a fuss. I don't think so.

I am not condoning the booing of any National Anthem and I think it is down right disrespectful but there has to be a consistency here and not just make noises because it was a small country.

I do think it was down to the tune but that is no excuse. If that is their Anthem then respect it. We boo the England Anthem because of the words not the tune.
What is so offensive about the words.

GordonHFC
09-09-2010, 03:50 PM

If you read all three verses of 'God save the Queen' one of them refers to 'rebelious scots to crush'

We only ever hear the one !!!!!

--------
09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
To a point I agree with him, it was uncalled for to boo the national anthem, regardless of its tune.

However, the cheek of the man for coming out and publically judging the Scotland fans for it, while keeping tight-lipped about the sectarian drivel that "they" come out with is shocking.

Like it or not, he's the President of the SFA.

UEFA have stated that they disapprove of the booing of national anthems at games.

So GP has to make a public statement about the SFA's official disapproval.

It's just as RicheyWhite says. Simple.

Of course, MAYBE some of the CU Jimmies really thought it was England Scotland were playing on Tuesday night.... :rolleyes:

Dan Sarf
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King

:greengrin

marinello59
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Nothing.
No doubt the 'rebellious Scots' verse will now be trotted out. That was never used in the National anthem and the only time you will come across that verse is when a Scot repeats it in order to fuel his sense of righteous indignation at our neighbours. It has as the same validity as part of the national anthem as 'Oh the Hibees are gay' does as part of 'Seven Nation Army.'

hibee_nation
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Nothing.
No doubt the 'rebellious Scots' verse will now be trotted out. That was never used in the National anthem and the only time you will come across that verse is when a Scot repeats it in order to fuel his sense of righteous indignation at our neighbours. It has as the same validity as part of the national anthem as 'Oh the Hibees are gay' does as part of 'Seven Nation Army.'

That is bollox, the third verse is part of the song which was written to reflect the feelings at the time of England towards us. Yours is a football chant to a pop song, don't be so stupid. Whether you agree or not your comparison is lame in the extreme.

Phil MaGlass
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Peat is a C--k, he is one of the reasons Scottish fitba is in such dire straits, the laughing stock of world fitba and Levein is manager.:grr:

marinello59
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
That is bollox, the third verse is part of the song which was written to reflect the feelings at the time of England towards us. Yours is a football chant to a pop song, don't be so stupid. Whether you agree or not your comparison is lame in the extreme.

Why so angry? Is it wrong to expose another 'fact' about the evil English as myth? That verse was never officially commissioned or sanctioned as part of the UK National Anthem. The comparison is valid.

hibee_nation
09-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Why so angry? Is it wrong to expose another 'fact' about the evil English as myth? That verse was never officially commissioned or sanctioned as part of the UK National Anthem. The comparison is valid.

Not angry at all well maybe just a wee bit comparing GSTQ with a pop song.
Next you will be telling us with a surname like Windsor there is no way there is any German blood in the Royal Family. :rolleyes:

Dan Sarf
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Next time, instead of booing the English national anthem, why don't we all sing along...

High above the young Rhine
Lies Liechtenstein, resting
On Alpine heights.
This beloved homeland,
This dear fatherland
Was chosen for us by
God's wise hand.

Long live Liechtenstein,
Blossoming on the young Rhine,
Happy and faithful!
Long live the Prince of the Land,
Long live our fatherland,
United by brotherly bonds and free!

hibeedonald
09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
minority drunks booed, majority didn't and clapped, hardly disgraceful. And as for tartan army's reputation, click on any video of them singing away from Europe and you will see lots of comments from people of other nations also claiming them to be the best fans in the world etc

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Next time, instead of booing the English national anthem, why don't we all sing along...

High above the young Rhine
Lies Liechtenstein, resting
On Alpine heights.
This beloved homeland,
This dear fatherland
Was chosen for us by
God's wise hand.

Long live Liechtenstein,
Blossoming on the young Rhine,
Happy and faithful!
Long live the Prince of the Land,
Long live our fatherland,
United by brotherly bonds and free!

Nice that is...:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
09-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Liechtenstein do deserve an apology for their anthem's booing and maybe after they could apologise for trying to kick our players off the park and managing to put one of them out for 5-6 months for an away point. I thought Kenny Black would have defected watching them!

iwasthere1972
09-09-2010, 07:17 PM

So UEFA are going to get involved due to booing. I've heard it all. :faf:

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Court of the Six Pint Session - Judge Rolls (Ph. LLd) presiding.

The Tartan Army make much of their reputation for fair play and being friends with other nations all in the spirit of football. They get drinks bought for them and probably increase their chances of sexual congress by a factor of 100 by being part of this happy go lucky gang.

I've suspected for a while that far from doing Scotland proud, many of the loyal foot soldiers are nothing more than misfits who find it hard to tie their shoe laces in the morning.

Peat is a gorilla, it is quite right to point out that he throws a deafy when the OF are about. At the same time, booing another countries anthem - especially Lichenstein who have done nothing to offend anyone - is nothin short of petty mean spiritedness.

Verdict: with regret Peat was right on this occasion, but should practice what he preaches.

iwasthere1972
10-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Peat, F*** Off!

This man wouldn't recognise a footballer even if he was standing next to Lionel Messi and co.

The fair play rules states

4. Respect opponents, team-mates, referees, officials and spectators
Fair Play means respect. Respect is part of our game. Without opponents there can be no game. Everyone has the same rights, including the right to be respected. Team-mates are colleagues. Form a team in which all members are equal. Referees are there to maintain discipline and Fair Play. Always accept their decisions without arguing, and help them to enable all participants to have a more enjoyable game. Officials are also part of the game and must be respected accordingly. Spectators give the game atmosphere. They want to see the game played fairly, but must also behave fairly and with respect themselves.

When has anybody ever done that? This is football not snooker or bowling.

The sooner he is replaced by someone who understands the game the better.

steakbake
10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, but what these clowns were booing was the national anthem of Liechtenstein. Not god save the queen. It all seems a bit like Pavlov's animals that folks wet their pants at the playing of a wee song. It was a total embarrassment.

On the one hand you have people getting indignant about being criticised for booing the anthem - which just happens to have the same tune as the Auld Enemy's national anthem. And on the other, they are irritated that the person who criticises them doesn't criticise other people for singing their various songs.

Okay, I can see that Peat has been shown wanting in other areas such as effective action against sectarianism. This situation however, is not the same and his comments are largely accurate.

--------
10-09-2010, 03:22 PM
This man wouldn't recognise a footballer even if he was standing next to Lionel Messi and co.

The fair play rules states

4. Respect opponents, team-mates, referees, officials and spectators
Fair Play means respect. Respect is part of our game. Without opponents there can be no game. Everyone has the same rights, including the right to be respected. Team-mates are colleagues. Form a team in which all members are equal. Referees are there to maintain discipline and Fair Play. Always accept their decisions without arguing, and help them to enable all participants to have a more enjoyable game. Officials are also part of the game and must be respected accordingly. Spectators give the game atmosphere. They want to see the game played fairly, but must also behave fairly and with respect themselves.

When has anybody ever done that? This is football not snooker or bowling.

The sooner he is replaced by someone who understands the game the better.

I have known it happen - only not recently.

Ed De Gramo
10-09-2010, 04:31 PM
but I thought the Tartan Army were the best fans in the world.....disrespectfully booing Lichtenstein's national anthem is pathetic...almost as pathetic as the ref who played 8 mins of injury time when there should only have been 5

Hibbie_Cameron
10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
but I thought the Tartan Army were the best fans in the world.....disrespectfully booing Lichtenstein's national anthem is pathetic...almost as pathetic as the ref who played 8 mins of injury time when there should only have been 5

Christ sake Gramo you dont half come across as petty at times.

You go on about how much you dislike the national team yet you post on every single Scotland related thread.

Not that the booing was right by any means, the anthem also recieved a rousing applause when finished by the majority of the fans in the stadium. This as Frazerbob alluded to was far louder than any booing.

Also the award of 5 minutes injury time is a minimum amount. When the opponents continue to waste time its only general practice to add more time on.

Will the ref be pathetic tomorrow if Hibs score deep into injury time?

Peat is a clown. How can a man who ran a football club into the ground be allowed to govern our national game is beyond me. If his biggest problem is a few thousand booing a tune then its neither wonder Scottish is in the state its in

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Peat is a clown. How can a man who ran a football club into the ground be allowed to govern our national game is beyond me. If his biggest problem is a few thousand booing a tune then its neither wonder Scottish is in the state its in

Was it wrong to boo the anthem or not, and was an apology merited? That's the question here, we all know tat Peat is thick as.

skipster7
10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
when the board is held up it means a MINIMUM number of minutes to be played,the ref is well within his rights to add on any extra time incurred during this time including subs and stoppages.

Hibbie_Cameron
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Was it wrong to boo the anthem or not, and was an apology merited? That's the question here, we all know tat Peat is thick as.

Of course it was, i have not stated otherwise

CMac1988
10-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Slightly off topic but has anyone mentioned the young lad (scotland mascot) as the start of the game imitating McGregor and Boyd?!

I mentioned it the other day on the match thread but no-one replied or must have noticed.

The wee lad done it twice during the time in which the national anthems were played and the camera's were scanning across the players.

Surely I wasn't the only one to notice this?

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Of course it was, i have not stated otherwise

Fair enough, and sorry, I'd misinterpreted this bit of your post as saying it didn't matter:

If his biggest problem is a few thousand booing a tune then its neither wonder Scottish is in the state its in

I get it now, Peat - whilst right to condemn this - has bigger challenges to meet. :thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Fair enough, and sorry, I'd misinterpreted this bit of your post as saying it didn't matter:

I get it now, Peat - whilst right to condemn this - has bigger challenges to meet. :thumbsup:

No problem mate.

Gramo's post irked me initally so i maybe never made myself clear

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Slightly off topic but has anyone mentioned the young lad (scotland mascot) as the start of the game imitating McGregor and Boyd?!

I mentioned it the other day on the match thread but no-one replied or must have noticed.

The wee lad done it twice during the time in which the national anthems were played and the camera's were scanning across the players.

Surely I wasn't the only one to notice this?

I saw it but he just looked like any other wee fat smelly weegie and is probably a cheeky little bassa at the best of times

Carheenlea
10-09-2010, 06:09 PM
What`s the point of playing national Anthems at football matches anyway?

If they decided not to bother with them and just crack on with the game of football without all the pre-match nonsense of mass handshaking and sing-a-long`s, I`d really doubt too many fans would be too upset.

Green_one
10-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Usual anti Tartan Army comments I see. It must be that having a support that makes a lot of noise looks alien to many Hibs fans. :greengrin

Some people should remember that there are basically three types of international fan bases

1. Do not really care and provide almost no support except on odd occasions
2. Uber fans like England and Germany who think they have Gods blessing on them winning. Easily the most irritating of fans and media.
3. Other nations who act daft and try to make the best of what is often a tough footballing position.

Supporting Scotland is not exactly easy. Peat is a self serving *****. His contribution is negative, in the way of many of his previous office holders. He is not even smart enough to try to divert attention away from the performance.

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Usual anti Tartan Army comments I see. It must be that having a support that makes a lot of noise looks alien to many Hibs fans. :greengrin

Some people should remember that there are basically three types of international fan bases

1. Do not really care and provide almost no support except on odd occasions
2. Uber fans like England and Germany who think they have Gods blessing on them winning. Easily the most irritating of fans and media.
3. Other nations who act daft and try to make the best of what is often a tough footballing position.

Supporting Scotland is not exactly easy. Peat is a self serving *****. His contribution is negative, in the way of many of his previous office holders. He is not even smart enough to try to divert attention away from the performance.

I get it, it was Peat who was booing the Lithuania national anthem. Glad that one is cleared up. :greengrin