PDA

View Full Version : NHC Kazakhstan - why are they playing in the Euro's?

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Maybe this has already been spoken about and if so then apoligies but

how did Kazakhstan qualify to play in europe? i thought they were a country with in asia? or i asume as they are an Eurasian country thats why they qualify?

in that case does that mean we could end up have china and japan playing in the euro's?

this is a bit of a mind ****!

anyone know:confused:

H18sry
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I think it was a political decision along the same line of why Israel play in Euro competitions :agree:

HibeeB
09-09-2010, 08:33 AM

how did Kazakhstan qualify to play in europe? i thought they were a country with in asia? or i asume as they are an Eurasian country thats why they qualify?

in that case does that mean we could end up have china and japan playing in the euro's?

Because they're part of Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories _in_Europe

Wilson
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
For make benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan?

JoeTortolanoFanClub
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Part of Kazakhstan is west of the Urals. It can therefore be considered part of Europe.

Keith_M
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I've always thought that the dividing line between Europe and Asia is a bit of an arbitrary decision. TBH, there's a much better argument that Europe and Asia are actually the same continent, indistinguishable from each other.

As mentioned already, if Israel can play in the Euros, they can add just about anybody.

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-09-2010, 08:41 AM
For make benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan?

praise be to Borat :greengrin

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-09-2010, 08:49 AM
I've always thought that the dividing line between Europe and Asia is a bit of an arbitrary decision. TBH, there's a much better argument that Europe and Asia are actually the same continent, indistinguishable from each other.

As mentioned already, if Israel can play in the Euros, they can add just about anybody.

my point exaclty. i mean surely you make a desision what continent you are from either asia or europe. if israel and kazakhstan are able to play then there is no argument for the rest of asia to join

Keith_M
09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Because they're part of Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories _in_Europe

That says that the Vatican are also part of Europe, maybe they should enter a team into the Euros.

I can just imagine the fun now, The Vatican at home to Rangers 'B' team, eh, sorry, I mean Scotland.

There'll be loads of crosses.....
..... but they'll have to ban the ball boys :greengrin :duck:

HibeeB
09-09-2010, 09:12 AM
That says that the Vatican are also part of Europe, maybe they should enter a team into the Euros.

What, a Pope's XI?

basehibby
09-09-2010, 09:14 AM
It seems a daft decision on their part - even if they're entitled to UEFA membership, surely the Asian path would provide a more promising route to the WC finals :confused:

HibeeDave
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
It seems a daft decision on their part - even if they're entitled to UEFA membership, surely the Asian path would provide a more promising route to the WC finals :confused:

maybe we should try that :wink:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
09-09-2010, 10:13 AM

That's what New Zealand did !

Bristolhibby
09-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Australia play in the Asian qualifiers, as they felt it geve them an easier path to qualification.

The up side of this is we can pretty much assume that New Zealand will feature in every world cup to come as they take over Australias place as the big dog in the Oceana qualifying group.

Which if their showing in this years World Cup is anything to go by they will be a welcome team who would do better than Scotland.

Do think it is a bit arbitary how it is decided, why cant we apply to join the American qualifying groups like Australia have done?
I am sure even Scotland could qualify from a group of USA, Costa Rica......oops!

J

iwasthere1972
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Great idea. Wait until all the squad consist of huns and hopefully get drawn against North Korea.

Steve-O
09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Australia play in the Asian qualifiers, as they felt it geve them an easier path to qualification.

The up side of this is we can pretty much assume that New Zealand will feature in every world cup to come as they take over Australias place as the big dog in the Oceana qualifying group.

Which if their showing in this years World Cup is anything to go by they will be a welcome team who would do better than Scotland.

Do think it is a bit arbitary how it is decided, why cant we apply to join the American qualifying groups like Australia have done?
I am sure even Scotland could qualify from a group of USA, Costa Rica......oops!

J

Sort of true...the problem for Australia is they used to hammer everyone else around here, but then to get the World Cup would have to compete in a play off with a South American team, and usually lose.

Wasn't really fair overall.

Joining Asia was a fairer way to do it and they benefit from getting some challenging competitive games from time to time, rather than playing Vanuatu and the likes.

I think NZ would also like to join the Asian confederation.

Additionally, no guarantees that NZ will always qualify because they do still have to play off against an Asian team to go through...and did so this time by a solitary goal over 2 legs.

Speedy
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM

J

I believe Australia joined the Asian association so that their club teams could play better opposition in the Asian Champions League(or equivalent).

New Zealand still have to play a play off against, I think, either a South American team or an Asian team. For the last world cup they had to beat Bahrain.

There will probably be an oz based Hibby than can confirm this(or tell me I'm talking Nade).

basehibby
09-09-2010, 10:55 AM

J

:agree: Especially considering that the North West Highlands was oriiginally part of the North American continental shelf - that's got to be a stronger case than the Aussies - only 200 million years ago as well!

Bristolhibby
09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Non of the Antipodeans have explained how Australia managed to get into the Asian qualification group.

Sure it was unfair that they always got battered by Pru, but IMO that is just tough poo-poo.

Scotland cant just decide to go into the Asian qualification group, but this is essentially what Australia did.

Can anyone explain?

J

MyJo
09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I think its around which association the country is attached to, so everyone that is a member of UEFA will compete for the European places on offer at the world cup and its up to EUFA how this is organised and who competes.

The same would go for the Asian Football Confederation who will have accepted Australia as a member nation and allowed them to compete in thier competitions.

Scotland could compete in any association that would accept them but it would also mean that scottish clubs wouldn't be competing in EUFA organised tournaments like Champions League or Europa Cup either.

tamig
09-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Most likely as they were part of the old USSR - and they always played in Europe.

Sir David Gray
09-09-2010, 09:19 PM
When it became independent from the USSR in 1991, Kazakhstan initially played in the AFC (Asian Football Confederation) region but changed to UEFA in 2002. Personally I don't consider Kazakhstan to be part of Europe but there you go. I'm not sure how/why the change came about but I don't believe it's anything like the situation with Israel. Of course, Israel is certainly not in Europe but they had to join UEFA because most of the countries in Asia would refuse to play them.

greenlex
10-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Is it something to do with the eurovision song contest?

J-C
10-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Turkey play in Europe yet they have borders with Iran,Iraq,Syria,Georgia, Armenia, Greece and Bulgaria, it's known as a Eurasian country similar to Kazakhstan.

Steve-O
10-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Non of the Antipodeans have explained how Australia managed to get into the Asian qualification group.

Sure it was unfair that they always got battered by Pru, but IMO that is just tough poo-poo.

Scotland cant just decide to go into the Asian qualification group, but this is essentially what Australia did.

Can anyone explain?

J

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Federation_of_Australia

Basically, Australia wanted to go because it benefited them in many ways, and all the Asian countries agreed to it...end of.

GordonR
10-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Kazakhstan was a former part of the USSR. The USSR played in European competitions. When the Societ Union broke up, it may have been easier to consider most of these new republics to be part of Euefa. (Although I doubt the ones in the very far east - i.e. Mongolia etc - would be able to do that.)

KazHibby
10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I walk everyday to my work from Europe to Asia in Western Kazakhstan.

River Ural is the dividing line.

Steve-O
10-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Show off. :na na:

KeithTheHibby
10-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Cheers for that Borat.:wink: