PDA

View Full Version : saturday

flash
08-09-2010, 07:12 AM
as so many people told us they were missing the rangers game due to either the price, kick off time and day or the opposition i take it we can look forward to a bumper crowd on saturday.

Ray_
08-09-2010, 07:19 AM
as so many people told us they were missing the rangers game due to either the price, kick off time and day or the opposition i take it we can look forward to a bumper crowd on saturday.

Why, have we all of a sudden become good enough to go out and win games with style? That is the only way we will attract bumper crowds?

flash
08-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I have outlined why in my original post. 3pm on a saturday and a few quid cheaper plus no hunnery.

whats winning in style got to do with it? thats never guaranteed.

HibeeB
08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I think the performance at St Mirren might have put off a few walk ups :dunno:

HibbyRod
08-09-2010, 08:31 AM
I think the performance at St Mirren might have put off a few walk ups :dunno:

SSSSSHHHH!! :shhhsh!: :greengrin

Stevie Reid
08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Why, have we all of a sudden become good enough to go out and win games with style? That is the only way we will attract bumper crowds?

Alas, you are right. Hibs have a solid core of supporters, and then we have another 2-3 thousand Hibs oriented people who wish to watch a winning team - hence the reason they only appear regularly every few years.

The feeling may well be massively different come 4.45pm on Saturday, but I'm really looking forward to the game. Stokes departure and the new signings means I really have no idea what Yogi's gonna do.

Andy74
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM

You are right and those people who stay away until we play with a winning team and some style are generally the ones moaning about the performance of the board and the amount invested in the team.

Something never going to work there!

matty_f
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
You are right and those people who stay away until we play with a winning team and some style are generally the ones moaning about the performance of the board and the amount invested in the team.

:top marks

Made the point on another thread last week (IIRC), the board said they'd put gate money back into the team. The most proven way of improving the standard on the pitch is to improve the standard of the player, which takes a bigger spend and therefore needs more paying supporters. It's not rocket science.

It's a Hibs Kids game on Saturday, so I'll have an extra two along with me anyway.:thumbsup:

Mikey
08-09-2010, 09:13 AM

:top marks

Made the point on another thread last week (IIRC), the board said they'd put gate money back into the team. The most proven way of improving the standard on the pitch is to improve the standard of the player, which takes a bigger spend and therefore needs more paying supporters. It's not rocket science.

It's a Hibs Kids game on Saturday, so I'll have an extra two along with me anyway.:thumbsup:

There are an awful lot of Hibs fans out there who will kick the club at every opportunity. That filters through and has an effect on the number of people who actually go to games. And that effects the club.

matty_f
08-09-2010, 09:14 AM
There are an awful lot of Hibs fans out there who will kick the club at every opportunity. That filters through and has an effect on the number of people who actually go to games. And that effects the club.
:agree:

Ray_
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM

"Something never going to work there!"

Sorry Andy, never quite got the meaning of that last bit.

As for the rest, even when football was a lot cheaper [25p for an adult & 12.5 for kids, when I started going & we got the TT's for 30p an adult] & there was far far less competition for people's attention, people still expected quality at matches, or they wouldn't come.

This is all except the die hards of course & clubs can't progress with just the die hards, that's why the board's hardest task is still ahead of it, they need to produce a winning team that plays attractive football & keep that team, we have been in a transitional season every year for the past eight years.

Ray_
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Mickey do you not think that people kick the club because they are not providing people with what they want to see & that's why people do not go to matches?

You can make the stadium as pretty as you want, but until the product on the park is good enough, it won't attract the big and consistant crowds. Folk may go along just to see the new stand & think that's really impressive, but as for the football, they do think, £27 for that & that's why they don't go

matty_f
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Mickey do you not think that people kick the club because they are not providing people with what they want to see & that's why people do not go to matches?

You can make the stadium as pretty as you want, but until the product on the park is good enough, it won't attract the big and consistant crowds. Folk may go along just to see the new stand & think that's really impressive, but as for the football, they do think, £27 for that & that's why they don't go

That's a fair point - it's expensive to go to the football and when the standard that you get doesn't match the price I can see why folk would spend their money elsewhere.

The only thing is that the club are stuck between a rock and a hard place for it. Don't charge that much and we can't afford the standard of player that we've got, which means worse players and a lower standard, which by your reckoning would drive more fans away and so it becomes a viscious circle.

There are a couple of ways out of it, one is to have a massive investment in the league, so that a good number of clubs are able to attract good players (think early days of Sky, where Rangers had Gazza etc, we had Sauzee, Latapy, Celtc had Larrson and so on). Problem with that though, is that at the moment there isn't the market for it because of the Premiership.

The other thing that the club can do is increase the revenue that it generates itself, and it does that through supporters coming to games, sponsorship, merchandise sales etc. Realistically that's the only option that we've got and unless we put our hands in our pockets frequently then we can't expect significant improvements on the park.

ahibby
08-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I will go on Saturday with friends having not gone to the Hun game. Saturday and a fiver less appeals more to me. I also hope to see some of the new signings.

HibeeB
08-09-2010, 10:24 AM

I think Ray is nearer the mark here.

I really don't think people are put off buying a ticket because someone says 'Hibs are $h!te'. If they were considering going to ER and were put off that easily they weren't very keen in the first place.

Watching dross will, however, stop people turning up. I am not even saying we should be winning all the time. Just a bit of effort and bullishness from the players and a bit of ambition from the management and board would put bums on seats. I walked away from defeats under Mowbray feeling great and from wins under Mixu and Yogi feeling depressed. The product on the park has a lot do with ticket numbers.

Phil D. Rolls
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I have outlined why in my original post. 3pm on a saturday and a few quid cheaper plus no hunnery.

whats winning in style got to do with it? thats never guaranteed.

You're really selling it to me. :agree:

flash
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Its fitba and beers with the mates. should be a no brainer.

MSK
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Its fitba and beers with the mates. should be a no brainer.That is exactly what is was for me for many years Flash ...meet the Brother & the mates ..a few bevvies before hand & off tae the match ..regardless of how the team were performing ..the alcohol seemed to numb that ..:party:

Golden Bear
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't renew my season ticket for a variety of reasons. However I do enjoy the 3pm Saturday kick offs which allows time for a few essential pre-match refreshments.

So as a second class "walk up" fan, I'm really looking forward to Saturday and my first chance to view a game from the new East Stand.

Bring it on!!

:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I think everybody with Hibs sympathies believes that we're on the precipice of an all-conquering new era. The revolution starts here. The game will be sold out, with loads scrambling to get in as the small ICT slither in the south are pushed into one corner to make way for the green sea that will engulf the new stadium.

Book now to avoid disappointment - once the glory hunters get wind that we've mastered the game of association football, they'll want to be part of it and a few old stalwarts will be left behind in various scabby Leith Walk hostelries, crying into their beers, lamenting their failure to renew that season ticket.

Can't wait to see football as it should be played - go greens!

Golden Bear
08-09-2010, 12:10 PM
I think everybody with Hibs sympathies believes that we're on the precipice of an all-conquering new era. The revolution starts here. The game will be sold out, with loads scrambling to get in as the small ICT slither in the south are pushed into one corner to make way for the green sea that will engulf the new stadium.

Book now to avoid disappointment - once the glory hunters get wind that we've mastered the game of association football, they'll want to be part of it and a few old stalwarts will be left behind in various scabby Leith Walk hostelries, crying into their beers, lamenting their failure to renew that season ticket.

Can't wait to see football as it should be played - go greens!

Dream on DBS!

I'm guilty as charged and now fully intend to leave the Hibs Club at 2:40pm rather than 2:50.

:greengrin

BEEJ
08-09-2010, 12:21 PM
That is exactly what is was for me for many years Flash ...meet the Brother & the mates ..a few bevvies before hand & off tae the match ..regardless of how the team were performing ..the alcohol seemed to numb that ..:party:
So for you the football match was invariably of second order importance? The social aspects of the day (including the beers) took precedence. :greengrin

Sadly, for the sober ones among us (e.g. I usually have to drive through to ER) pre match alcohol consumption is not an option.

Imagine having to watch some of our recent performances without anaesthetic! :wink:

Speedway
08-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Its fitba and beers with the mates. should be a no brainer.

They generally are.

When Hibs were completely out of ideas on how to stop crowds falling, they played the guilt card of SUABC. Essentally, 'Don't turn up to ER? What are ya, Yammish?'

Then we got Mowbray who spent nowt and got pretty product on the park and the feel good factor went through the roof.

This started to die down when, into the third season, we still couldn't defend and it was costing us matches, but the Mowbray era is the most exciting one of modern times...and we won nowt.

Pretty football will maintain attendences, possibly increase them; but will put ancilliary revenues through the roof, because people want to be connected to sexy product.

MSK
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
So for you the football match was invariably of second order importance? The social aspects of the day (including the beers) took precedence. :greengrin

Sadly, for the sober ones among us (e.g. I usually have to drive through to ER) pre match alcohol consumption is not an option.

Imagine having to watch some of our recent performances without anaesthetic! :wink:I suppose you could say that ...it was of course for medicinal purposes & not to detract from any poor performance on the pitch ..although i do think im a better singer whilst fuelled by alcohol ..:greengrin

Andy74
08-09-2010, 01:26 PM

So the onus is on the Board to produce a winning and stlyish team with what? Other people's money except yours?

We can only spend what we get in through the gates, that's the only way that we have to a look at it. You can either help them to try and do what they want to do, put a quality team on the park, or you can carp on about lack of quality and progress whilst not actually contributing the funds.

Only one way will work.

Ray_
08-09-2010, 01:42 PM
So the onus is on the Board to produce a winning and stlyish team with what? Other people's money except yours?

We can only spend what we get in through the gates, that's the only way that we have to a look at it. You can either help them to try and do what they want to do, put a quality team on the park, or you can carp on about lack of quality and progress whilst not actually contributing the funds.

Only one way will work.

Where is this going? My funds are really going to make all the difference, grow up. If you expect people [the number that will make a difference] to just turn up to watch whatever is on offer, you may as well have been living on Mars for your entire life, because it seemed to have escaped your notice, that on this planet, it doesn't work like that, you have to provide something that people want to see.

The Hibs highly paid board have made their decisions on how to run the business, if they don't pull enough punters in for your liking. I suggest you have a word with them about it, to me & many others, this was always going to be a problem.

ahibby
08-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I remember in the late 90s we were getting on to STF about the lack of quality in the team. His response was well get of your bums and support them 'all the money we take in from ticket sales will be spent on the team'. Remember that? Our crowds soon increased by a couple of thousand on average. Sky money was good and we got the likes of Sauzee, Latapy et al. Sky money has gone and crowds have started to drop. No wonder the quality has gone down. We need to pay as much as we can afford to try and help build a team that will be attractive to more people. I can't afford a full ST at over £400 any longer, but I will go to as many games as I can. Whether we are winning or not. Call me what you like but I feel this season will turn out pretty good any way.