PDA

View Full Version : This Is England '86

.Sean.
07-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Wee reminder it's on channel 4 right now...

bingo70
07-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Wee reminder it's on channel 4 right now...

been pretty pish so far

Pretty Boy
07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Thought the film was magic but this has been pretty underwhelming thus far. Still i'll give it a chance.

.Sean.
07-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Thought the film was magic but this has been pretty underwhelming thus far. Still i'll give it a chance.
I'd agree with that :agree:

Highlights thus far have been the two tidy birds! :tee hee:

bingo70
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM

:agree:

The film was nothing like this.

There's been a couple of funny bits but the novelty of the northern English accent is waring off pretty quickly.

1two
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
That was rubbish
The ending didn't get me desperate to watch the next episode either

marinello59
07-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I thought it set the scene nicely for the rest of the series. Looking forward to the next episode.

Betty Boop
08-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I thought it set the scene nicely for the rest of the series. Looking forward to the next episode.

:agree: I really enjoyed it. What about the wee Burnie look a like ? :greengrin

Groathillgrump
08-09-2010, 09:18 AM
:agree: I really enjoyed it. What about the wee Burnie look a like ? :greengrin

That's exactly what my wife said when she saw him. :greengrin

Compared to some of the pish that's on the box at the moment it was a breath of fresh air.

Scouse Hibee
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Was so looking forward to it......................TOTAL GARBAGE

Betty Boop
08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
That's exactly what my wife said when she saw him. :greengrin

Compared to some of the pish that's on the box at the moment it was a breath of fresh air.

He is a dead ringer ! :greengrin

fat freddy
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
like the film, i thought the first episode captured the utter tedium and lack of opportunity on offer to those living in the confines of a housing estate in thatchers britain....travelling to a 23 quid wedding in a community centre on the back of a bus with a bunch of flowers stolen from a cemetary might seem a bit far fetched but it makes for half decent telly and is a reminder of what life was really like then for a large chunk of the population...

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Just watched it, I thought it was a fair reflection of the time for some poor ****ers and if The Scheme is anything to go by nowt much has changed for some folk.

Just Jimmy
09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
sky+'d it and just finished watching it. Not seen the film but thought it was alright, well worth watching the next episode to see where it goes. At least its not celebrity pap, reality pap etc.

Scouse Hibee
21-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Was so looking forward to it......................TOTAL GARBAGE

I gave it a another chance and watched the second episode...............glad I did :agree:

Ed De Gramo
21-09-2010, 10:16 PM
How powerful and quite disturbing was that :agree:

Its an awesome drama and will clean up at the awards :agree:

Shane Meadow = Legend

marinello59
21-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Its an awesome drama and will clean up at the awards :agree:

Shane Meadow = Legend
:agree:
The script is first rate. The acting is fantastic, so much portrayed by a look rather than spoon feeding us dialogue. Superb.

Groathillgrump
22-09-2010, 09:10 AM

The end of the programme was indeed powerful and disturbing in equal measure. I don't normally get too emotionally involved in TV dramas but I found myself shouting at the telly urging the girl to somehow get herself out of the situation before the inevitable happened.

Very uncomfortable viewing but a first class drama.

Betty Boop
22-09-2010, 01:35 PM
The end of the programme was indeed powerful and disturbing in equal measure. I don't normally get too emotionally involved in TV dramas but I found myself shouting at the telly urging the girl to somehow get herself out of the situation before the inevitable happened.

Very uncomfortable viewing but a first class drama.

Well that was a cracker of an episode. Now that Combo is back, do you think that he will sort out Lol's Dad ? I can't wait for the last episode, should be brilliant. :greengrin

.Sean.
22-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think I was alone in turning the channel when the lass was raped, you knew it was coming. Extremely uncomfortable to watch i'd have thought.

As for the rest of the episode, I fair enjoyed it.

bingo70
22-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think I was alone in turning the channel when the lass was raped, you knew it was coming. Extremely uncomfortable to watch i'd have thought.

As for the rest of the episode, I fair enjoyed it.

Really?

You do know it was just a tv programme sean? she wasn't really being raped you know? sounds like you need to man up a bit :wink:

offshorehibby
26-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Loved the film and have really enjoyed the series, looking forward to the last episode.

Hibby70
27-09-2010, 03:30 PM
the film was great, the series started very poorly and some of the comedy elements were cringeworthy. It has however taken a serious turn and is all the better for it. Paddy Considine is a great actor and looking forward to Combo's return when he wakes up.

SRHibs
28-09-2010, 08:23 PM
A load of **** if you ask me. Some of the acting feels unbearably unnatural and awkward. The actor who plays Smell is so bad it's not even funny.
Also, the multiple attempts at comedy throughout the series thus far have been cringeworthy at best.

Since90+2
28-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I know its not even finished yet but **** sake! That scene with Lol and Mick is one of the most uncormfortable things ive ever seen.

.Sean.
28-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I know its not even finished yet but **** sake! That scene with Lol and Mick is one of the most uncormfortable things ive ever seen.
Brutal :agree:

degenerated
28-09-2010, 10:04 PM
the film was great, the series started very poorly and some of the comedy elements were cringeworthy. It has however taken a serious turn and is all the better for it. Paddy Considine is a great actor and looking forward to Combo's return when he wakes up.

paddy considine isn't in it is he :confused:

Ed De Gramo
28-09-2010, 10:06 PM
A load of **** if you ask me. Some of the acting feels unbearably unnatural and awkward. The actor who plays Smell is so bad it's not even funny.
Also, the multiple attempts at comedy throughout the series thus far have been cringeworthy at best.

TIE86......best drama I can recall ever watching....

Tonight's episode was jaw dropping....i'm actually speechless

Betty Boop
Very heavy to watch, but excellent all the same. ' Bitterest Pill' to round of the episode, fantastic ! :greengrin

.Sean.
paddy considine isn't in it is he :confused:
Believe it or not he was playing the rapist :agree:

EDIT: He didn't play the rapist. He did have a part in the series, i'm not sure what is was. He may have even co-written it?

degenerated
28-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Believe it or not he was playing the rapist :agree:

that was this guy, johnny harris (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/8pXqTcJWHQh/Daylight+Robbery+UK+Film+Premiere/-nXLos3p0o8/Johnny+Harris) :agree:

Hibby70
28-09-2010, 10:11 PM
just checked, it wasnt paddy considine it was johny harris. Was sure it was pc earlier in the series but doubted it tonight. Bloomin looked very much like him tho.

degenerated
28-09-2010, 10:12 PM
just checked, it wasnt paddy considine it was johny harris. Was sure it was pc earlier in the series but doubted it tonight. Bloomin looked very much like him tho.

very much like him indeed :agree:

Hibby70
28-09-2010, 10:16 PM
10/10 for the drama, 1/10 for the comedy. Wish Combo had been in earlier.

Betty Boop
29-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Apparently Shane Meadows plans to make This is England 90, centred around the Hacienda and rave culture. Sounds superb ! :greengrin

Groathillgrump
29-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Very heavy to watch, but excellent all the same. ' Bitterest Pill' to round of the episode, fantastic ! :greengrin

Aye, but the bloody voice-over spoiled it. Why can't they let the credits end before they start yakking! :grr:

Thoroughly enjoyed the series, just wish it had been eight episodes instead of four.

Betty Boop
29-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Aye, but the bloody voice-over spoiled it. Why can't they let the credits end before they start yakking! :grr:

Thoroughly enjoyed the series, just wish it had been eight episodes instead of four.

Me too ! :greengrin

Hibby70
29-09-2010, 06:21 PM

DJ at Easter Road played about a minute of "Pretty Green" a few weeks back. Probably the best track I've heard at a football ground since Theatre of Hate's Propaganda at St Johnstone

Groathillgrump
30-09-2010, 08:48 AM
DJ at Easter Road played about a minute of "Pretty Green" a few weeks back. Probably the best track I've heard at a football ground since Theatre of Hate's Propaganda at St Johnstone

Must have missed that. I have noticed they've been playing Pretty Vacant at the last couple of home games. If anyone has any thoughts on the significance of that choice of song feel free to share! :greengrin