PDA

View Full Version : NHC Barry Robson

hibeemikey21
07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
What a performance that was. Not just his own personal contribution in terms of what he did on the ball, but also his attitude; how he added the fight and drive when we needed it the most.

MOTM by a distance for me :top marks

hibeemikey21
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Levein is a tit. Just mentioned the fantastic contribution by the two subs who changed the game..........Naismith and Morrison. :confused:

EasterRoad4Ever
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
You're kidding right ? Should be no where NEAR a Scotland jersey and typifies one of the worst Scotland performance in a generation.

We should give up National football and stick with the Hibs. The Scotland matches just get in the way of football :wink:

WindyMiller
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
What a performance that was. Not just his own personal contribution in terms of what he did on the ball, but also his attitude; how he added the fight and drive when we needed it the most.

He should keep away from free-kicks.

essexhibee
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Did you see the numerous free kicks into the stand?

hibees707070
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Only player worth pass marks was Morrison when he came on. The rest were gash!

Amit
07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Only player worth pass marks was Morrison when he came on. The rest were gash!

:agree:

Thought he was excellent when he came on...

Fletcher tried to keep things going too...

Thought we looked poor defensively and gave the ball way needlessly at times...

stokesmessiah
07-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Is this serious or is it tongue in cheek??? I hope its the latter :bitchy:

Pretty Boy
07-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Barry Robson MOTM?

This is a wind up right? Piss poor deliveries, no pace, no creativity, shocking set pieces, misplaced several passes.

Some folk are obviosuly easy pleased.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I actually agree with the op, robson got down the wing, got stuck in, took defenders on.... Now james I scored a goal in france did nowt apart from text his pals when he went off and got for a shower.... Nowt like supporting your team mates!

hibeemikey21
07-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Barry Robson MOTM?

This is a wind up right? Piss poor deliveries, no pace, no creativity, shocking set pieces, misplaced several passes.

Some folk are obviosuly easy pleased.

Not a wind up. He changed the game when he came on. Heads were going down, players were hiding etc and he fired everyone back up again and led by example. For a player of limited ability, he did pretty much everything he could have done IMO. Im quite surprised that other folk didn't notice it, but hey-ho. We top the group with the world champions in it so lets just be happy and agree to disagree!

Hainan Hibs
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Robson did impress, got down the wing well and done a hell of a lot more than Faddy. However the TV was at risk when he ballooned yet another free kick over the wall.

BryanV
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
I actually agree with the op, robson got down the wing, got stuck in, took defenders on.... Now james I scored a goal in france did nowt apart from text his pals when he went off and got for a shower.... Nowt like supporting your team mates!

He had a lot of the ball but he always managed to find a blind alley to head off down and his set piece deliveries were woeful.

Spudster
07-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Wee Scottie Dug
07-09-2010, 09:54 PM

its all about opinions eh :yawn: ....... I thought he was rubbish and his free kicks downright awful ...

One of the reasons I wouldn't pay to see Scotland at the moment is the inclusion of players like Robson and McCulloch ..... So slow , predictable and cheating Ugly Sisters to$$ers to boot!!

Give me Dorrans and Morrison over this pair any time ...... untainted by the Ugly Sisters :cool2:

Chuckie
07-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Robson did very well when he came on. Very direct and put in some good crosses.

He set up the 2 goals !!!!!

lucky
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Deeks should be in because of his deliveries

iwasthere1972
07-09-2010, 11:17 PM

:hilarious On the floor more times than Nish and can loft his free kicks higher that the United States space shuttles.

Time for Deeks to get his chance even if his only participation is free kicks.

Despite not turning up twice in 4 nights who would have thought that we would be 4 points ahead of the Czech Republic at this stage.

Bring on the Spaniards.

woody47
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Where's the smiley or fishing trip? You missed them from your quote as if you didn't I want one of what you had watching him. The guy is just not good enough. Not ONE free kick in two games on target, passing is nothing great and hardly tackles. :bye:

iwasthere1972
07-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Where's the smiley or fishing trip? You missed them from your quote as if you didn't I want one of what you had watching him. The guy is just not good enough. Not ONE free kick in two games on target, passing is nothing great and hardly tackles. :bye:

To be fair I think he had one (maybe two) on target in Lithuania. Sure their goalkeeper saved one. Nevertheless he's still gash.

Spudster
08-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Tonight
3 free kicks, 1 on target (Our other left footed option for free kicks would've been Lee McCulloch at this point :bitchy:).
Setup both goals.
4 or 5 driving runs into the box (remember he came was on as left back too).
He definitely had a sense of urgency that no other Scotland player had up until this point.

vahibbie
08-09-2010, 12:54 AM

I think praise for any of them is not really justified. FFS look who we were playing.
Robson was average at best and he cannae take a free kick under pressure.

rossi
08-09-2010, 02:12 AM
His diving was pathetic. Do we really need to cheat against Lichtenstein?

Cabbage East
08-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Thought robson did ok, no more than that.

Davy Mac
08-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Deeks should be in because of his deliveries

Nah, let's leave our Deeks out of the Scotland set up.

Don't want his confidence to suffer......:greengrin

Toaods
08-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Let's all congratulate Robson and send a full apology to Miko after Barry's cheating dives.

Hibby Bairn
08-09-2010, 07:50 AM
I think praise for any of them is not really justified. FFS look who we were playing.
Robson was average at best and he cannae take a free kick under pressure.

offshorehibby
08-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Thought he was ok nothing more. Morrison i thought looked good and Fletcher always willing to have a go. How naysmith and Mcculloch get anywhere near a game i don't know.

Woody1985
08-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Can people stop saying players with 'limited ability'. No one ever said that before that ******** burnley. What you're trying to say is they're *****. Limited ability. :faf:

Woody1985
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Nice emphasis on this fabrication. :greengrin

He had two that I can think of of the top of my head, albeit both straight at the keeper.

johnrebus
08-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Robson must be related to McGregor.

His constant diving and feigning injury is an embarrassment.

:grr:

Andy74
08-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm still not sure about Riordan for Scotland even after watching that. Riordan will never go past people and I don't think you can survive in the international game just on delivieries and shooting ability.

jdships
08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
In the cold light of day and looking back at that performance I really cannot see any player at the end of 90 minures being happy with his performance - we won and got three points , that ,of course , was the object of the exercise .
For me there simply wasn't a MOM in dark blue
If that had been Hibs,Hearts OF etc giving three performances like that the stadiums would be half empty next week and managers would be getting pelters !!!:bye:.
Where do we go from here then ?
CL's tactical know how will be under scrutiny given the poor displays over the past week
( plus Swedish friendly) and I personally feel he did not make the best use of the , admmitidly limited, resources available to him ..
It has always been said that a good team has a "spine" - goalkeeper ,centre half, holding midfielder and centre forward.
This team does simply not have quality in those positions - why ?
Is ir availability , no one better , or just bloody mindedness on the part of the manager

While we all like to be "amateur football managers" I'm of the opinion we have "one of us" another "amateur" at the helm right now .
What I watched last night was embarresing to say the least
Plus he is digging bigger and bigger holes for himself with his dreadful comments at interviews

Answers/suggestions for improvement - on a postcard please to

HP esq
c/o SFA
Glasgow

:greengrin:wink:::rolleyes:

BryanV
08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
The praise for Robson typifies what is wrong with the Scotland set -up, all this praise for putting in a shift. Robson got on the ball frequently after he came on but he ultimately did little with it, lacking in quality, running down blind allies and falling over. And the fact that this Championship bit player is our main creative outlet from set-pieces is a pretty fair indication of how low we have fallen.

Antifa Hibs
08-09-2010, 09:40 AM
The praise for Robson typifies what is wrong with the Scotland set -up, all this praise for putting in a shift. Robson got on the ball frequently after he came on but he ultimately did little with it, lacking in quality, running down blind allies and falling over. And the fact that this Championship bit player is our main creative outlet from set-pieces is a pretty fair indication of how low we have fallen.

That what is wrong with this country. Thats why others team our size would rip the pish out us, ye Croatia's, Serbia's, Switzerland etc etc. They want flair players, they get the ball on the deck. We play defensive, even at home with a squad full of dafties that can't play football to save themselves but are either big and strong, or could run rings round us.

scott7_0(Prague)
08-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Robson got on the ball frequently after he came on but he ultimately did little with it,

I am sure he was instrumental for both goals, no?

Hardly proving your point of doing little with it!

euro Hibby
08-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Robsons deadballs were pish - Riordan certainly would move more than Boyd and we all know what he can do with a deadball. Maybe not a player to start but 30 minutes when the chips are down ?

basehibby
08-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Got to agree - he was a real driving force when he came on and all of a sudden Scotland looked very dangerous down the left when up to that point we'd looked aimless with an out of sorts McFadden having an off day.
Re his free kicks - he got a couple on target but certainly I was wishing it was Deeks taking them as he would have been odds on to put one of them away.
That apart though I thought he was excellent and made by far the greatest impact of all the subs brought on - maybe displaying why Riordan finds it hard to push into the squad with him and McFadden to compete with for a left sided attacking berth.
Deeks needs to keep on pushing and if one of these two picks up an injury or something he could force his way in.

Hibby Bairn
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I watched the U21 game and saw a great flank and flair performance from Barry Bannan. I believe we take too long to promote and develop young talent into the full international set up.

Other countries don't seem to have this problem. They take good performances at individual and team level at younger ages and develop them. For example Spain, Ghana, Portugal and Argentina.

BryanV
08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I am sure he was instrumental for both goals, no?

Hardly proving your point of doing little with it!

True to an extent. A half decent cross headed out and a hail mary corner. I just felt he was wasteful in possession, but then again no one else was setting things up.

M11BMO
08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I thought Robson made an impact when he came on. Set up the two goals, however I felt that Morrison was the player who made the biggest difference.

steakbake
08-09-2010, 10:50 AM
If we'd had 11 Barry Robsons in the team last night, we'd have run up a cricket score. The guy was one of the few showing any determination, grit and character.

You could tell in his post match interview that he was proper fired up.

yekimevol
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
robson played well but for me moth went to hutton even when they tried to kill him he never when hiding

Broken Gnome
08-09-2010, 11:51 AM
He can thank Stephen McManus for the fact his 'effort' that preceeded the last minute corner is now forgotten about. No wonder he dives, he's bloody scared of the ball.

Praise for Robson typifies what Levein's been saying. We all cried out for McFadden, he was at his selfish, childish and ineffective worst. Robson gives you a decent left foot, workrate yet zero flair or subtlety. Who made the better contribution? We can't have it both ways.

hibbymac
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
If we'd had 11 Barry Robsons in the team last night, we'd have run up a cricket score. The guy was one of the few showing any determination, grit and character.

You could tell in his post match interview that he was proper fired up.

Aye, but you dinnae get a "Six" for hitting the crowd in fitba. :duck:

basehibby
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
His diving was pathetic. Do we really need to cheat against Lichtenstein?

I remember one instance of a Scotland player diving out of the way of yet another Litchenstein lunge - I can't remember anything else of that nature and I was watching pretty closely - so could that be what you're refering to :confused:

camhibby1
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I watched the U21 game and saw a great flank and flair performance from Barry Bannan. I believe we take too long to promote and develop young talent into the full international set up.

Other countries don't seem to have this problem. They take good performances at individual and team level at younger ages and develop them. For example Spain, Ghana, Portugal and Argentina.

Couldn't agree more - the under 21's are showing great promise and yesterday afternoon's game gives us hope. The downside is that the present Scotland manager won't see it like that. I deplored his appointment at the time and after last night he should go - irrespective of the result.
He can take no credit for last night's win - he u-turned within weeks of his appointment by succumbing to the pressure from the West. He has little credibility - as some one else has said - he is out of his depth and is an amateur. He has made a rod for his own back by equating the national team with the OF and is doing Scottish football a great dis-service. The failures of previous years should have gone with Burley and someone brought in who would have recognised the talent existing within the U21's and in teams beyond the OF. CL is not the man to take Scotland forward and neither are the present hierarchy at the SFA.

Exiled Hibby
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Robson was decent when he came on. I am a huge Faddy fan, but last night must be his worst performance in years - certainly the worst I can remember. By half-time I was screaming at CL to take Faddy off and put Robson on. I was surprised however with the performance of James Morrison who did come on for Faddy.
Never previously rated him but I thought he showed good pace and trickery with his direct running and caused them to panic a bit, especially when he combined with Robson. I would have given Man of Match to Morrison.
Overall, though, it was possibly the worst performance from a Scotland team I have witnessed at Hampden. It could have been the worst result in our international history - even above Costa Rica, Moldova, Wales etc.
However, by virtue of the Liths win we ended up in a decent position, but to say we need to improve is the understatement of the century.

steakbake
08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Aye, but you dinnae get a "Six" for hitting the crowd in fitba. :duck:

Unless it's the away end on a derby day.

hibeemikey21
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
It quite funny how polarised the opinions of his performance are! Either he was our best player, or was utter garbage!

Interestingly, he was voted our MOTM on these websites although there seemed to be a bit of a love in for that Frick boy, who ran away with the games' MOTM:

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3250264,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/playerratings/football/match/3118732

Riordans Boots
08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=scott7_0(Prague);2570985]I am sure he was instrumental for both goals, no?

He was :agree:

Sir David Gray
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
robson played well but for me moth went to hutton even when they tried to kill him he never when hiding

I take it "moth" means man of the match, if so I cannot agree with that one bit. I thought Hutton was awful last night, he was constantly caught out of position by the Liechtenstein left winger and he offered very little in attack either.

The tackle on him at the end was sickening and how that guy didn't get a straight red card for that challenge was unbelievable. It was one of the worst tackles I have ever seen and Hutton's fortunate that he still has the full use of his leg, never mind the fact that he was able to finish the match.

RyeSloan
09-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Robson added a bit of drive...not much quality or pace but at least moved the team up the park. Lost count over the two games how often the commentator said "not up to his usual standard' as he squandered yet another free kick! Is there no one else on the WHOLE team that can take a free?

Morrison lookd the best player but also wasted a brilliant chance (albeit one he had made himself)

Frankly though Scotland looked one paced...where was the movement from the midfield? Quite why we needed Fletcher, McCullough and Brown to sit in there I have no idea...

As for Boyd, woeful.

sunshine1875
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Barry Robson is an example of everything that is wrong with Scottish football.

Average at ICT, but with some good moments - he does have a good left foot at times afterall. He looked better in a better United team and forces his way to the edge of the Scotland squad. Then he gets bought by Celtic as a squad player and suddenly he becomes at Scotland international that appears to be a fixture in the Scotland team.

It seems to be harder to play your way into the Scotland team than be removed out of it. The entry card to the team appears to be 1. Does he play for Rangers/Celtic, then 2. Did he used to play for these teams.

I would much rather see Dorrans, Snodgrass, McCormack, Burke, Morrison who are playing against good teams every week rather than the players who have made their name out of playing against the diddy teams in Scotland (e.g. Boyd, Robson, McManus, Brown etc). I know that McCormack & Burke were ex-Huns, but at least they have done the business in England. Berra looks good playing for Wolves yet we play a 40-year old player that rarely breaks sweat in the SPL.