PDA

View Full Version : Levein (merged)

jdships
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
From "Scotsman"

"The manager emphasised the importance of workrate and dismissed the theory that if McFadden plays, Scotland are necessarily more likely to score. The winger has struck 15 times in 46 appearances for Scotland. "I don't think throwing every creative player we have on to the pitch at the same time automatically means we will score more goals," said Levein. "Everybody assumes that if you put McFadden, (Charlie] Adam, (Kris] Boyd, (Graham] Dorrans in your team then you are going to win. People say: 'well, it's obvious - if you put all these guys in your team then we are going to win the game.' But you are more likely to lose the ball."

Am I correct in wondering where HP is coming from putting out this type of statement ?:confused:
If this is the best he can do he would be better keeping quiet :rolleyes:

He talks down McFadden,Adam,Dorrans, and Boyd which leads me to think there are four managers in England who don't know what they are about
If we compare their ability to the display by Robson,Naismith,McCulloch can we really do any worse ?

:bitchy:

The_Todd
07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
From "Scotsman"

"Everybody assumes that if you put McFadden, (Charlie] Adam, (Kris] Boyd, (Graham] Dorrans in your team then you are going to win. People say: 'well, it's obvious - if you put all these guys in your team then we are going to win the game.'
:bitchy:

So instead of putting all of them on he puts none of them on. Fat load of good that did in Lithuania.

Antifa Hibs
07-09-2010, 09:03 AM
It's pointless having 90% of position if you fail to create any chances.

This is why I couldn't give a fk about tonight. I'm more looking forward to This is England '86 tonight than this pish.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
It's pointless having 90% of position if you fail to create any chances.

This is why I couldn't give a fk about tonight. I'm more looking forward to This is England '86 tonight than this pish.

I couldn't give a Fk about This Is England 86 cos it's crap and I will be rooting for Scotland tomorrow night

:wink:

ronaldo7
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
So instead of putting all of them on he puts none of them on. Fat load of good that did in Lithuania.

That was the problems against the Liths imo. We needed to be playing a 4-4-2 with Faddy on the left, and instead got a 4-5-1 with Misser up front on his own. Potter has lost the plot with his ramblings about playing all the "flair" players in the same team, but nobody is asking him to do that...All we want are a pair of strikers on the park UP FRONT.

The team for tonight looks the part and should win by at least 3 goals:greengrin

--------
07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
That was the problems against the Liths imo. We needed to be playing a 4-4-2 with Faddy on the left, and instead got a 4-5-1 with Misser up front on his own. Potter has lost the plot with his ramblings about playing all the "flair" players in the same team, but nobody is asking him to do that...All we want are a pair of strikers on the park UP FRONT.

The team for tonight looks the part and should win by at least 3 goals:greengrin

Be a disgrace if they don't. :rolleyes:

matty_f
07-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Putting one of the creative players would help though, Potter.

Fud.

It's alright though, because we've got Lee McCulloch. GTF Levein.

Jim44
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
What a tower of strength and positivity he is. A few minutes ago when talking about Lichtenstein's chances tonight, he stood like a rabbit caught in the headlights and offered "Well, remember they managed a draw in Iceland and held England to a 0-0 draw for sixty minutes, so..............." Aye, right, Craig, just what we want to hear,........... we're really up against a tough team at home tonight and a win for us will be a terrific result. OK, give them some respect but why hide the fact that we should take them apart and if we don't, it will be a total humiliation and probable elimination from the tournament.

delbert
07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
He makes Craig Brown look like Ian Holloway, and as for his facts, as normal, crap, Lichtenstein were 2-0 down to England by 52 mins - lets be honest, Scotland under Harry Potter, who gives a flying one, not me, I confidently predict that Friday night's draw against the might of Lithuania has done for our chances, because to qualify, we would simply have to beat 2 teams away from home, and one of them was Lithuania, there's a simple reason why we draw against teams like Lithuania, and it's because we are at their level now ability wise cos after all hearts have been fairly consistent performers in the SPL over a number of years (unfortunately) - I rest my case.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Do the decent thing and walk!

Jim44
07-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Absolutely no chance. His bacon has been saved by Lithuania's win in Prague tonight.

Beefster
07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Absolutely no chance. His bacon has been saved by Lithuania's win in Prague tonight.

And our 96th minute winner. Still an utter embarrassment.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Just promote Billy Stark and the under-21s. :thumbsup:

Steve20
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Four points out of a possible six. No way is he leaving.

EasterRoad4Ever
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Levein looked like a dead man walking - and extra in a Michael jackson vid. The 99th minute header papers over the crack and all is well in the world. What an embarassment - mostly all OF players. McCulloch, Robson, Weir, Boyd what is that all about - complete no-marks. Get rid, get some decent players in.

hibee bouncer
07-09-2010, 09:08 PM
:bye:

Hiber-nation
07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
"They're a decent side" says Potter. 141st in the world. Erse.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
telling chick dung he doesn't want to talk about any negativity because we won

Baw Baggio
07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Waaaaaay out of his depth :bye:

JE89
07-09-2010, 09:21 PM

If a manager had to leave their club/country the way people on this site call for then an average managerial campaign would last about 6 weeks.

HibbyAndy

That Czech manager should walk, Scotland done everything bar score in Hearts land on Friday night.

Czechs got beasted at hame

Bostonhibby
telling chick dung he doesn't want to talk about any negativity because we won

Aye, stick your head in the sand and you won't see anything bad, Jeez what a fud. Should we really not be allowed any form of criticism then? We were awful, and lets face it, they are Lichtenstein. Ah well, everythings fine, bring on the Czechs and the Spaniards.

Wing Half
These things happen when you play percentage football. He always has and he always will. Yeah Harry Potter GTF.

Hainan Hibs
07-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Levein has been appointed to get us to Euro 2012 no matter how ***** the performances are. 4 points out of 6 and top of the group so far, he won't be going.

I'm not saying I want Levein as it's too big a job for him, but the SFA will be happy so far.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Did you see the czech game?

HibbyAndy
07-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Do you think i did living in Scotland?

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
It's possible Andy, I watch scotland on czech tv in prague!

So back to your point, czech did everything but score tonight, they'll hump us again. Potter got 4points but on performances like that Czechs and Spain will rip us apart!

Jim44
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
It's a bugger that the Czech's got beat because they will now ensure they don't get beat, then look for the points.

Not necessarily. A team that is beaten at home against a far inferior team is not so much in charge of their destiny as you would expect. I think tonight's crazy results suggest that our section is wide open for second place.

HibbyAndy
07-09-2010, 09:42 PM
It's possible Andy, I watch scotland on czech tv in prague!

So back to your point, czech did everything but score tonight, they'll hump us again. Potter got 4points but on performances like that Czechs and Spain will rip us apart!

Ive no doubt Spain will beat Scotland home AND away.

But the Czech Republic are certainly not the team they were with Baros, Poborsky etc..I never watched the game tonight so i can only go on your word that the Czech's pulverised them tonight :agree:

The bare fact is they never won..Hammered them or not Czech republic got ZERO points at hame!..

Back to your point..we kinda humped Lithuania on Friday too without scoring like the Czechs tonight you say..

If Lithuania can beat the Republic at hame then you better believe we can beat them at Hampden:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Liechty me ! exclaimed the headlines

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Andy, even a bad Czech team is streets ahead of our current Scotland set up and I am sorry to say but the Czechs after 3games will be ahead of Scotland after 4games. As much as I love my country and the national team I feel we will go no where with Levein and the style he plays, yes we are on 4points, but after playing two really bad sides on paper!

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-09-2010, 09:51 PM
As said the liths saved yam potters bacon tonight but he must surely rethink on what players to pick, Hutton, McCulloch (terrible!),McFadden, Boyd did zero and as a footnote he's got some cheek telling Deek to up his game when these last two named lazy *******s get a game :grr:

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Aye, stick your head in the sand and you won't see anything bad, Jeez what a fud. Should we really not be allowed any form of criticism then? We were awful, and lets face it, they are Lichtenstein. Ah well, everythings fine, bring on the Czechs and the Spaniards.

perish the thought :boo hoo: having said that, whats the odds on getting a draw at hampden :cool2:

Wing Half
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
It's likely that Spain will toil even against us. They're the most boring team I've seen in a long time. Czechs who knows?

Wing Half
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Sorry I forgot about Greece. They are the most boring.

Godsahibby
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Not much more the manager could do, it was the players on the park tonight that were a joke!

HibbyAndy
07-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Andy, even a bad Czech team is streets ahead of our current Scotland set up and I am sorry to say but the Czechs after 3games will be ahead of Scotland after 4games. As much as I love my country and the national team I feel we will go no where with Levein and the style he plays, yes we are on 4points, but after playing two really bad sides on paper!

Two really bad teams on paper i agree :agree:

But one of these really bad teams on paper beat the CR in the CR! Whilst we got a draw away.

I kinda hear ya tho..

If the CR team is streets ahead of Scotland then how come they got beat at hame by a team we got a 0-0 draw with away from home ?

CR are nae where near the team they once were and id like to think we can take there scalp at Hampden like we did the last time we played them in a friendly and won 1-0.

If we can beat Ukraine at hame and France ,,,Chuck in Holland , Then CR is defo winnable..I do appreciate your ties in CR. But they are certainly not world beaters. As proven tonight by Hearts reserves.

lyonhibs
07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Levein looked so emphatically scoobied on the sidelines. For all his blustering about "aye, got to give them respect" etc he clearly had this chalked down as a 2/3-0 victory from the off, and didn't have the foggiest idea how to react when it all went tits up for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

114th minute winners against Whothe******stein notwithstanding, he is vastly out of his depth, a dour, taciturn ******* that - if his dressing room performance in any way mirrors his tone and attitude on the telly - must have the motivational power of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

As long as one-paced, technically inept OF (or ex-OF) cloggers like Naismith and Robson get picked for squads ahead of the likes of Riordan and - most extraordinarily - Dorrans (surely he is injured?????), then I'll take no joy from the fact that he's our national coach.

Best of luck to the team and fans though - if we can't effectively dominate and use possession against Liechtenstein, then imagine the carnage against - probably - the Czech Republic and - certainly - against Spain.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
My ties??

I aint bumming up CR, I am trying to point out we are nowhere near as good as the 4point suggest!

By you logic hibs are much better than Blackpool cause we beat them, so were are miles ahead of wigan as blackpool beat them..... You can't compare apples against oranges.

Scotland are not the team that beat Ukraine, france, drew with Italy.

Halifaxhibby
07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Having watched that sh*te tonight time for that fat speccy jambo to fall on his sword!! lets start with the obvious mistakes. Mccoullogh! straight into the team?? i thought he was playing form players??!! lee wallace was hopeless against sweden we must be really ****ing pushed in that position!! hate the cant but hartley should've played in the hole tonight, steve(i'll suck a huns ceck within 50 yards of ma nice shiny hoose) naismith?? WOW!!!!!! Guarantee you levein deeks would have scored on friday and tonight from free kicks. Oh but he doesn't have the mentality to play for Scotland at the moment we'd rather play rapists and hooligans! nice one craig!!!:boo hoo:

CallumLaidlaw
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
It's likely that Spain will toil even against us. They're the most boring team I've seen in a long time. Czechs who knows?

On Friday, they beat a team 4-0, that we struggled to beat 2-1. And they are World AND European champions. They will stroll it against scotland

lyonhibs
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM

You're confusing "Spain" with "Hearts" here.

Or at least I hope you are. I'll be absolutely speechless if this Scotland team, with Levein as its tactical mastermind, get as much as a point out of the 2 games against Spain.

500miles
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Too many players thought it was going to be a total stroll tonight, and got the shock of thier lives when they went one up. From complacent to downright fearful with a single kick of the ball.

Hutton - his passing is shocking and thinks he can take on the world. He has not developed and is now inferior to Whittaker.

McFadden - Trying to run through about five players, when the pass is on early doors? Disgraceful.

Boyd - Anonymous. Cannae score against Liechtenstien, so what makes him so sure he would have scored against Norway. Please reflect upon this Kris, and submit you're apology to the SFA, the TA, and the man you used you're Hun Hero status to put in the brown and sticky, Mr. G.Burley - as well as the disrespect shown to S. Fletcher and C. Iwelumo.

Hutton and McFadden's worth to Scotland should come under severe scrutiny tonight, and Boyd simply be binned.

Would like to throw in, however, that Liechtenstien are a bunch of hammer throwers. Should have finished with nine men.

HibbyAndy
07-09-2010, 10:28 PM
My ties??

I aint bumming up CR, I am trying to point out we are nowhere near as good as the 4point suggest!

By you logic hibs are much better than Blackpool cause we beat them, so were are miles ahead of wigan as blackpool beat them..... You can't compare apples against oranges.

Scotland are not the team that beat Ukraine, france, drew with Italy.

And the Czechs aint the team that got to the Euro 2000 finals.

Lets move on eh?

Wotherspiniesta
07-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Not much more the manager could do, it was the players on the park tonight that were a joke!

You mean the players that were picked by the manager?

There are some talented young players in Scotland. Dorrans, Arfield, Coutts, Bannan, Forrest. Other countries would fast-track these players into the full team, its about time we did.

Wotherspiniesta
07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Too many players thought it was going to be a total stroll tonight, and got the shock of thier lives when they went one up. From complacent to downright fearful with a single kick of the ball.

Hutton - his passing is shocking and thinks he can take on the world. He has not developed and is now inferior to Whittaker.

McFadden - Trying to run through about five players, when the pass is on early doors? Disgraceful.

Boyd - Anonymous. Cannae score against Liechtenstien, so what makes him so sure he would have scored against Norway. Please reflect upon this Kris, and submit you're apology to the SFA, the TA, and the man you used you're Hun Hero status to put in the brown and sticky, Mr. G.Burley - as well as the disrespect shown to S. Fletcher and C. Iwelumo.

Hutton and McFadden's worth to Scotland should come under severe scrutiny tonight, and Boyd simply be binned.

Would like to throw in, however, that Liechtenstien are a bunch of hammer throwers. Should have finished with nine men.

RE that bit in bold- you gotta be kidding, right? :confused:

Edit- not the bit about Boyd, he can GTF.

lucky
07-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Harry potter must stay I was pissing myself watching that. Scottish football is dire. The best player was Morrison and he is English

BEEJ
07-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Despite all his 'let's think positively" bluster on the radio, Potter looked genuinely shell-shocked and emotional in the BBC TV post-match interview. I think his whole career was flashing before his eyes during that seven minutes or so of additional time. :greengrin

It'll be interesting to see how he responds with his team selection and tactics in a month's time. He may be accused of being many things but he's not thick.

scott7_0(Prague)
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Andy, not sure what your obsession is with CR or what your trying to prove. But I think I made it clear I hold no ties with CR and my concern is who bad Scotland are!!

Can't believe your defending Levien and that team.

euro Hibby
07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Don't think he is thick either and thats why he has tried first to please the tartan army and the SFA with his team selections. Lets see if he has the courage to make some changes and play the missing flair players he is looking for.

If he is not thick he is certainly a very lucky manager tonight. Some say don't blame the manager but its he who picks the team and sets out the tactics.
If thats the defence we play against Spain we will be well beaten .........

Hibs On Tour
07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Ive no doubt Spain will beat Scotland home AND away.

But the Czech Republic are certainly not the team they were with Baros, Poborsky etc..I never watched the game tonight so i can only go on your word that the Czech's pulverised them tonight :agree:

The bare fact is they never won..Hammered them or not Czech republic got ZERO points at hame!..

Back to your point..we kinda humped Lithuania on Friday too without scoring like the Czechs tonight you say..

If Lithuania can beat the Republic at hame then you better believe we can beat them at Hampden:agree:

Lithuania got lucky tonight by all accounts. 99 times out of 100 with how that game went CR would have hammered them. No comparison to our game.

We were playing a part-time team ranked 146th in the world. It took us 57 minutes to get a shot on goal against them and by that point we were already 1 down. Put it simply. We lucked out tonight, particularly with getting the win.

*WE WERE ABYSMAL* and no amount of false posturing or fanfares in the redtops tomorrow is going to change that.

I said in the middle of the game that what we really need to do is to take a 10-year break from International football and tear up our entire football structure from top to bottom here in Scotland and fix it otherwise the national team will never improve as the sum of its component parts which won't get any better.

Regional leagues feeding into top two divisions. Playing each other twice [once home, once away] each season. TV monies far more evenly distributed. Youth football properly supported by national and local government. Non-competitive until a later age. Training and coaching based primarily on ball skills instead of being the current production line of journeymen players who have 'good engines' as opposed to good skills.

Then, once all this is in place and gradually the quality comes up, we can perhaps start to have a national team [comprised of Scots no less!] that people could actually get behind instead of the present OF and OF old-boys get-together along with any token players that get to join them that has achieved so little for so long.

Do I think all this needs to happen? Damn right. Do I think there's a hope in hell of it actually happening? Not a snowball's! Too many vested interests would need to make decisions in the interest of the greater good rather than their own putrid self-preservation and I think we all know what chance there is of that!

euro Hibby
07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
a bit like politics and life.......your points are all correct and worse, your end conclusion is fact.......

AgentDaleCooper
08-09-2010, 01:50 AM
maybe i'm missing something, but i think at some point in the last few years, without anyone noticing at the precise moment, something fundamental died in the mentality of scottish football. our squad isn't great, but it's surely not THAT much worse than the one that took two of the greatest national sides to the wire 3 years ago? perhaps good, solid, skilled managers leaving for more appealing jobs cemented the idea that one's role in the national team is something of goodwill gesture rather than something to be truly proud of?

is apathy, in team and fan base alike, our biggest problem?

(on a side note, could the same be said of hibs?)

Godsahibby
08-09-2010, 06:58 AM

There are some talented young players in Scotland. Dorrans, Arfield, Coutts, Bannan, Forrest. Other countries would fast-track these players into the full team, its about time we did.

Yes the players that were picked by the manager, surely the team that was put out there was good enough to beat Lichtenstein. Everyone called for Faddy and Boyd, where were they tonight?, Faddy got hooked at half time for being shocking and Boyd was never in the game (maybe if he had got a better ball along the deck from Morrison things might have been different) They guys on the park just didnt perform.

I toally agree that Dorrans should be given a chance, from what I've seen of him he has looked good, as for the others, on paper only Bannan might be an improvement to what we already had playing.

Hibby Bairn
08-09-2010, 07:11 AM
All the usual predictable stuff on here again.

But once again we ARE punching above our weight at lower age groups. This time the U21's. 3 years ago it was the U20's. And we have decent form at other U16 to U19 groups.

So Scottish players are not dire at these age groups. I don't understand what happens beyond that. Why we fail to develop boys into classy full internationals.

Hutton, McFadden, Brown, McManus, Fletcher, Boyd were all terrible. That can't be Levein's fault....or Burley's....or McLeish's...or Smith's....or even Vogts!

Levein can't be held responsible for professional football players being unable to pass a ball 20 yds or to cross a ball properly from 25 yds or to get a free kick beyond the first man. I'd like to see an analysis of Robson's free kicks over the two games. Shocking.

Something happens between the ages of about 20 and 25. Maybe it is the SPL, maybe it is the quality of club coaches, maybe it is something deeper from a younger age....maybe it is mental attitude.

It can't all be Levein's fault though surely?

calumhibee1
08-09-2010, 07:31 AM
All the usual predictable stuff on here again.

But once again we ARE punching above our weight at lower age groups. This time the U21's. 3 years ago it was the U20's. And we have decent form at other U16 to U19 groups.

So Scottish players are not dire at these age groups. I don't understand what happens beyond that. Why we fail to develop boys into classy full internationals.

Hutton, McFadden, Brown, McManus, Fletcher, Boyd were all terrible. That can't be Levein's fault....or Burley's....or McLeish's...or Smith's....or even Vogts!

Levein can't be held responsible for professional football players being unable to pass a ball 20 yds or to cross a ball properly from 25 yds or to get a free kick beyond the first man. I'd like to see an analysis of Robson's free kicks over the two games. Shocking.

Something happens between the ages of about 20 and 25. Maybe it is the SPL, maybe it is the quality of club coaches, maybe it is something deeper from a younger age....maybe it is mental attitude.

It can't all be Levein's fault though surely?
Dorrans can pass a ball - he never got picked. Riordans free kicks can beat the first man, but yet again, he never got picked. It's not all Leveins fault, but his squad/team selections were pish.:agree:

allezsauzee
08-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Had to laugh at Levein saying that the fans were sent home happy, what a trumpet he is! He's way out his depth, however if he keeps pandering to the weegies he'll stay in the job for a while yet.

Phil D. Rolls
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM

A very good point. For me there can be no justification for playing a 40 year old at the centre of our defence. He is not that good, and things can't be that bad that we couldn't play someone who would benefit from the experience.

Look at the world cup finalists, both of whom have built squads up from youth level. Scotland must surely sink to the level where we have nothing left to lose.

Mind you, the last time someone wanted to blood young players it was Bertie "Disastrous" Vogts. IIRC, we were runners up when he was in charge.