PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup Final Lineups

Sylar
07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
So with the American Picks being announced today, both lineups are finalised and ready to go:

Team USA

Phil Mickelson
Hunter Mahan
Bubba Watson
Steve Stricker
Jim Furyk
Dustin Johnson
Jeff Overton
Matt Kuchar
Tiger Woods
Zach Johnson
Rickie Fowler
Stewart Cink

Team Europe

Lee Westwood
Ian Poulter
Francesco Molinari
Martin Kaymer
Graeme McDowell
Rory McIlroy
Miguel Angel Jimenez
Peter Hanson
Luke Donald
Ross Fisher
Edoardo Molinari
Padraig Harrington

Can't say I'm optomistic of a European win. Team USA look strong, with Kuchar, Mickelson, Stricker, Overton and Johnson all playing some really good golf this season.

Hanson, E.Molinari, Fisher, Harrington and Jimenez are all potential weak links in our side and I doubt they'll come up big against the US players in singles.

Houchy
08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
So with the American Picks being announced today, both lineups are finalised and ready to go:

Team USA

Phil Mickelson
Hunter Mahan
Bubba Watson
Steve Stricker
Jim Furyk
Dustin Johnson
Jeff Overton
Matt Kuchar
Tiger Woods
Zach Johnson
Rickie Fowler
Stewart Cink

Team Europe

Lee Westwood
Ian Poulter
Francesco Molinari
Martin Kaymer
Graeme McDowell
Rory McIlroy
Miguel Angel Jimenez
Peter Hanson
Luke Donald
Ross Fisher
Edoardo Molinari
Padraig Harrington

Can't say I'm optomistic of a European win. Team USA look strong, with Kuchar, Mickelson, Stricker, Overton and Johnson all playing some really good golf this season.

Hanson, E.Molinari, Fisher, Harrington and Jimenez are all potential weak links in our side and I doubt they'll come up big against the US players in singles.

You watch any of the European tour golf at the weekend? :confused:
Jiminez, Molinari 1,2. They're both on fire at the moment:agree:
Molinari leading the tour in Fairways hit and GIR. I'm thinking he'd fancy his chances against Tiger the way that he's spraying it these days. Even Fisher with his length off the tee would have Tiger under a fair bit pressure.
Hanson and Harrington, I give you.:agree:

derekHFC
08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Is Westwood going to make it and even if he does, will he last the pace having not played much lately?

H18sry
08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Is Westwood going to make it and even if he does, will he last the pace having not played much lately?

If Lee Westwood fails to prove his fitness, does his place go to the next player on the order of merit, or does Monty get another pick?

Pretty Boy
08-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Molinari leading the tour in Fairways hit and GIR. I'm thinking he'd fancy his chances against Tiger the way that he's spraying it these days. Even Fisher with his length off the tee would have Tiger under a fair bit pressure.

:agree:

If Molinari could improve his putting he would be a formidable opponent for anyone in the world. Amazingly accurate and tidy with his shots. Jimenez hasn't been brilliant this year but looks to be hitting form at the right time(Ryder Cup wise) plus his experience will be invaluable in what is a relatively inexperienced side.

Golden Bear
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM

A very good question. I'm sure I read that Westwood is scheduled to play in a charity event at Archerfield prior to the Ryder Cup and hopefully he'll be able to prove his fitness.

However being "physically fit" and "match fit" are entirely different - even in golf. I would have thought that Lee would be rusty in view of his enforced lay off but I'm sure Monty would be well aware of the circumstances.

Sylar
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM

He's been playing some good golf the last couple of weeks, but consistently over the season, he certainly hasn't? I just feel that up against the likes of Kuchar, Johnson, Overton or Mahan, he'll get ripped to shreds, as he's pretty inconsistent.

With no disrespect intended, the European Tour rarely features an array of big names with the same frequency as the PGA. Molinari is rarely competing against members of the American team and his good performances have come in competitions which have coincided with the Fedex Playoffs, which is where most of the bigger players in the World have been competing.

I hope I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think he's good enough, particularly when you consider some of the players omitted at his expense.

Tiger has looked a different player in the past few weeks - his private life drama is coming to an end and his scores have reflected his re-focus (his own word, not mine) to the game. I don't think he'll be the walkover many in Europe seem to think he will. His impact on the "team" will also be negligable this year, as he'll be trying to keep himself as a personality out of the limelight.

Golden Bear
08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
He's been playing some good golf the last couple of weeks, but consistently over the season, he certainly hasn't? I just feel that up against the likes of Kuchar, Johnson, Overton or Mahan, he'll get ripped to shreds, as he's pretty inconsistent.

With no disrespect intended, the European Tour rarely features an array of big names with the same frequency as the PGA. Molinari is rarely competing against members of the American team and his good performances have come in competitions which have coincided with the Fedex Playoffs, which is where most of the bigger players in the World have been competing.

I hope I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think he's good enough, particularly when you consider some of the players omitted at his expense.

Tiger has looked a different player in the past few weeks - his private life drama is coming to an end and his scores have reflected his re-focus (his own word, not mine) to the game. I don't think he'll be the walkover many in Europe seem to think he will. His impact on the "team" will also be negligable this year, as he'll be trying to keep himself as a personality out of the limelight.

I just wonder how the accompanying wives & girl friends will treat Mr Woods?!

:greengrin

H18sry
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM
A very good question. I'm sure I read that Westwood is scheduled to play in a charity event at Archerfield prior to the Ryder Cup and hopefully he'll be able to prove his fitness.

However being "physically fit" and "match fit" are entirely different - even in golf. I would have thought that Lee would be rusty in view of his enforced lay off but I'm sure Monty would be well aware of the circumstances.

If Lee Westwood fails to prove his fitness, does his place go to the next player on the order of merit, or does Monty get another pick?

Well does anybody know :greengrin

Sylar
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Well does anybody know :greengrin

Monty would have to pick a replacement. He's said in the press in recent weeks that he wouldn't rule out Langher!

However, Westwood has been in the press this week saying he'll be ready.

H18sry
09-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Monty would have to pick a replacement. He's said in the press in recent weeks that he wouldn't rule out Langher!

However, Westwood has been in the press this week saying he'll be ready.

Cheers Scott, it's okay him saying he'll be ready, but he has to get a few consecutive rounds under his belt to prove his fitness :agree: