PDA

View Full Version : Hibs "Legends"

Hibby Bairn
06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Alongside the forgotten players thread what about Hibs "legends". I'm not talking about your Stantons, Sauzees and Turnbulls. Players who have attained legend status for reasons other than pure playing ability.

I'll start off with:

Joe Tortolano (great left peg and did Strachan a good un v Man U in the first minute IIRC)

Keith Houchen (winner at Ibrox and away goal :cool2: at Videoton - even had his own song to the tune of the hokey cokey!) :greengrin

TheEastTerrace
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Gordon 'Geebsy' Hunter for ending that run

Pretty Boy
06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd actually say a lot of the guys getting a slagging in the forgotten players thread who played in the 1st division team don't deserve it.

McLeish brought these guys in to do the job of getting us back into the premier league and being good enough to consolidate our place for the 1st year after promotion. This was acheived and allowed McLeish to go on and build a very fine team.

Whilst the guys who got the glory were obviously the likes of Latapy, Mixu and Sauzee, guys like Derek Collins, Paul Lovering, Justin Skinner and so on done the job that was required of them.

Legends?- Probably not but certainly players we should be grateful to for doing a decent job in difficult circumstances.

HibbyAndy
06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Alongside the forgotten players thread what about Hibs "legends". I'm not talking about your Stantons, Sauzees and Turnbulls. Players who have attained legend status for reasons other than pure playing ability.

I'll start off with:

Joe Tortolano (great left peg and did Strachan a good un v Man U in the first minute IIRC)

Keith Houchen (winner at Ibrox and hat-trick away at Videoton - even had his own song to the tune of the hokey cokey!) :greengrin

Did i go to a different game from you? IIRC It was Evans and Collins that got 2 goals.

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
John Burridge
Isaak Refvik

Broken Gnome
06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I'd actually say a lot of the guys getting a slagging in the forgotten players thread who played in the 1st division team don't deserve it.

McLeish brought these guys in to do the job of getting us back into the premier league and being good enough to consolidate our place for the 1st year after promotion. This was acheived and allowed McLeish to go on and build a very fine team.

Whilst the guys who got the glory were obviously the likes of Latapy, Mixu and Sauzee, guys like Derek Collins, Paul Lovering, Justin Skinner and so on done the job that was required of them.

Legends?- Probably not but certainly players we should be grateful to for doing a decent job in difficult circumstances.

Derek Collins was a ridiculous shout. More than capable right back.

For this thread, the most obvious is Ivan by some distance. His achievements outshone his actual ability by some distance.

blairwallace
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
anthony sto.....ehh derek riordan sometime in the future?

Hainan Hibs
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
I'd put forward Colin Murdock for that penalty against the Huns in the CIS Cup. The small bunch of Hibs fans collectively went "oh ****" when he walked from the centre circle, but his was the best penalty of the night, cooly sending the goalie the wrong way and gave it a "****ing yes!" on the way back up the back.

The_Todd
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
John Rankin.

Fact. Endof.

Kevvy1875
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Derek Collins was a ridiculous shout. More than capable right back.

For this thread, the most obvious is Ivan by some distance. His achievements outshone his actual ability by some distance.

Derek Collins once cost me a very good win from Ladbrokes by scorng one of the best goals I have seen at ER:grr: Think I had the correct scorer and 3-1 Vs the Pars if memory serve's me??? Collins pops up in the last couple of minutes to finish off a superb Hibs move.....canny no celebrate a Hibs goal but that one was through gritted teeth:greengrin

For Hibs Legend .....Matty Jack? He has his own role and everything now:agree: A pure destroyer in the middle of the park done all the nasty horrible work to allow your Sauzee's, Latapy's and O'Neill's the platform to play.

Hibby Bairn
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Did i go to a different game from you? IIRC It was Evans and Collins that got 2 goals.

Must have been :cheers: too much. Could have sworn it was. What game am I thinking off then?

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Derek Collins once cost me a very good win from Ladbrokes by scorng one of the best goals I have seen at ER:grr: Think I had the correct scorer and 3-1 Vs the Pars if memory serve's me??? Collins pops up in the last couple of minutes to finish off a superb Hibs move.....canny no celebrate a Hibs goal but that one was through gritted teeth:greengrin

For Hibs Legend .....Matty Jack? He has his own role and everything now:agree: A pure destroyer in the middle of the park done all the nasty horrible work to allow your Sauzee's, Latapy's and O'Neill's the platform to play.

Never forgave Collins for declaring himself fit for the semi with Aberdeen and then hobbling off after 20 minutes. Neither did McLeish.

Matty Jack is a legend for winning the most outrageous penalty ever seen against the Arabs. I think he stubbed his toe or something and the ref pointed to the spot.

What made it even better was the fact the Arabs were raging at him for not kicking the ball out for a throw when one of their players was feigning injury on the floor.

heidtheba
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Davie Farrell, I remember someone (Albertz?) banging a free kick into his nutz at ER. Even the huns were silent, all you could hear was his (ever so slightly high pitched) groans.
Bravery in the extreme!

Hibby Bairn
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Yer right. Here's the vid to prove it....great trip.

http://video.stv.tv/bc/sport-football-20081211-videoton-hibs-19890927/

HibbyAndy
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Yer right. Here's the vid to prove it....great trip.

http://video.stv.tv/bc/sport-football-20081211-videoton-hibs-19890927/

Brilliant to see that again :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

since90plustwo
06-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Darren McCormack for laying out jambos
Dean Shiels for bettering gordon
Mcbride for booting the ball up lafertys ringpiece

Pretty Boy
06-09-2010, 07:40 PM

I sense a theme developing here:wink:

Jack
06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Arthur Duncan, record appearances for the club and one of the least mentioned on these boards. All round nice guy, always smiling. Legend - end of!

Kevvy1875
06-09-2010, 07:51 PM

I sense a theme developing here:wink:

You forgot wee Ivan jumping on the sleekit Lithuanians back. If only Ivan had been 20 stone heavier:grr:

lEXO
06-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Arthur Duncan, record appearances for the club and one of the least mentioned on these boards. All round nice guy, always smiling. Legend - end of!
Great shout Jack.Also Ally Macleod, what a player he was.My favourite player for a few years, especially after watching him score the winner in my first derby.

Iggy Pope
06-09-2010, 08:21 PM
John Hazel
Jim Herriot
Ralph Callachan
Pat McGinlay

JE89
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
David Murphy for having a better touch than Zidane :agree:

Mikey
06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44408000/jpg/_44408419_ally_brazil_hibs_220sns.jpg

delbert
06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
As mentioned earlier, Super Ally Macleod, just a genius, fantastic passer, and regularly used to pass the ball into the net from 20 yards out. 2 Ally moments, just to underline what this guy could do. The free kick against Dundee where he stroked it into the corner from about 23 yards, ref not ready, so do it again, and indeed he did, this time stroking it into the other corner, just magic. However even better, was a day at parkhead when we absolutely mugged Celtc.. We went through with loads of injuries, put out an understrength side and were basically under the cosh for almost the entire game. However, unbelievably we broke upfield after about half an hour and stole a goal through Willie Temperley, then it was backs to the wall again till halftime. Knew what was coming in the second half, waves of Celtc attacks and even survived the obligatory penalty when Ronnie Glavin hit the post. Then came Ally's moment, bout 15 mins from time we break out and got a free kick about 25 yards out bang in front of goal. As mentioned above Ally could take a mean free kick so Celtc get everyone back and have a five or six man wall. Up steps Ally to take the kick, steps over the ball, and then passes it back 80 yards to Mike mcDonald in goal, the Celtc fans went fn mental, it was just brilliant for us though and we held out to win 1-0, gallus as ***** from one of our all time legends.

hibeez1875
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Jackie McNamara
David Fellinger

Iggy Pope
06-09-2010, 09:05 PM
As mentioned earlier, Super Ally Macleod, just a genius, fantastic passer, and regularly used to pass the ball into the net from 20 yards out. 2 Ally moments, just to underline what this guy could do. The free kick against Dundee where he stroked it into the corner from about 23 yards, ref not ready, so do it again, and indeed he did, this time stroking it into the other corner, just magic. However even better, was a day at parkhead when we absolutely mugged Celtc.. We went through with loads of injuries, put out an understrength side and were basically under the cosh for almost the entire game. However, unbelievably we broke upfield after about half an hour and stole a goal through Willie Temperley, then it was backs to the wall again till halftime. Knew what was coming in the second half, waves of Celtc attacks and even survived the obligatory penalty when Ronnie Glavin hit the post. Then came Ally's moment, bout 15 mins from time we break out and got a free kick about 25 yards out bang in front of goal. As mentioned above Ally could take a mean free kick so Celtc get everyone back and have a five or six man wall. Up steps Ally to take the kick, steps over the ball, and then passes it back 80 yards to Mike mcDonald in goal, the Celtc fans went fn mental, it was just brilliant for us though and we held out to win 1-0, gallus as ***** from one of our all time legends.

I remember that game at Parkhead with great fondness. Did we not go the first quarter unbeaten to top the league? As well as a wee run in the Anglo Scottish that included an away win at Blackburn?
And Willie Temperley was ex-Celtic IIRC.....and he was a one-trick pony with his 'Cruyff' turn a speciality......

Stantons Angel
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
i remember Big Jim Blair.............. a true legend in the fact that in my opinion he was the worst player i had seen in a Hibs jersey.................. Then he scored a hat trick one night at Easter Road against Rangers!

he went top of the pops for me that night!!!!!:greengrin

Fat Stu
06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Always loved wee mickey weir growing up, tenacious wee git iirc.

Mibbes Aye
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM

I'll start off with:

Keith Houchen (winner at Ibrox and away goal :cool2: at Videoton - even had his own song to the tune of the hokey cokey!) :greengrin

Maybe not quite what you were asking but I would cite Jim Leighton.

Came to us having gone through his very public issues at Man Utd, got it together and played almost continously through his spell with Hibs and resurrected his Scotland career. He wasn't far short of his hundred caps in the end.

That aside, he deserves legendary status for his alarmingly inept capacity to deal with the then recently-introduced backpass rule.

At best he resembled a drunken squid who had been half-willingly drafted into a rugby union side, trying to master the art of kicking to touch.

Corstorphine Hibby
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM

You were there in 1989 ? :hmmm: Did you not have school the next day?