PDA

View Full Version : Hibs programme collectors

big-mo
06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I normally keep tabs on what Hibs programmes that are on sale on eBay and I have noticed that there have been a lot of old progs (early 1950’s) for sale by a guy (or girl) in Norway. These have been going for some decent prices, between £10 and £30 each, I did bid for some of these myself but lost out on all bar one, the one I won however was the last game of the season in 1951 against Celtic we beat them 3-1 and we won the league that day, result.
However one of the other progs was a more recent one, the 1972 Cup Winners Cup away game against Sporting Lisbon and this went for £126. That is a lot of money for a newspaper style programme. I assume that it must be very rare.

I also noticed a Hibs reserves v St Mirren reserves prog from 1955 going for £56.
I think that some of these must be an investment, so the next time the wife or girlfriend, boyfriend/ husband asks “what are you keeping them for?” , you are quite entitled to say “My retirement”.

Was anyone else on the .net bidding for any of these? Does anyone regularly buy progs on eBay? Is the Norwegian seller a member on the .net?

What is the most valuable Hibs prog you have in your collection, and what is the most you have ever paid for one?

capi
06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I normally keep tabs on what Hibs programmes that are on sale on eBay and I have noticed that there have been a lot of old progs (early 1950’s) for sale by a guy (or girl) in Norway. These have been going for some decent prices, between £10 and £30 each, I did bid for some of these myself but lost out on all bar one, the one I won however was the last game of the season in 1951 against Celtic we beat them 3-1 and we won the league that day, result.
However one of the other progs was a more recent one, the 1972 Cup Winners Cup away game against Sporting Lisbon and this went for £126. That is a lot of money for a newspaper style programme. I assume that it must be very rare.

I also noticed a Hibs reserves v St Mirren reserves prog from 1955 going for £56.
I think that some of these must be an investment, so the next time the wife or girlfriend, boyfriend/ husband asks “what are you keeping them for?” , you are quite entitled to say “My retirement”.

Was anyone else on the .net bidding for any of these? Does anyone regularly buy progs on eBay? Is the Norwegian seller a member on the .net?

What is the most valuable Hibs prog you have in your collection, and what is the most you have ever paid for one?

Get it right mate. I got £56.55 for it.:thumbsup:

big-mo
06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Sorry, Well done, I bet you did not think you would get that for it?

capi
06-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I was surprised, but I suppose these things have different values to different collectors.

hibbybrian
06-09-2010, 06:00 PM

I bid for several of these and only won 2 - you're lucky I already had the Celtic one :wink:

The Missus was made well aware of that some time ago :greengrin to back this up I showed her the prices for the early programmes in the Programme shop http://www.almondvaleprogrammes.co.uk/scottishleague_h.htm#hibs :wink:

Probably some I have from 1946 & 1947 - I also have the programme from the game at Dens Park on 1st May 1948 which was the game after we wrapped up the League that season :cool2: and the McCartney Testimonial against Man United in 1948 :coolhib:

Cluny Hibs
06-09-2010, 06:25 PM

I bought a handbook from the seller in Norway a week or 2 ago, think it was season 56/7.
I buy from ebay fairly regularly although I find it a bit of a pain wading through the hundreds of programmes that are listed time and again at 99p.
The most valuable programme I have is the european away to barcelona from 60/1. It was the only time I've ever seen it for sale and I think I got it for a fair price, was still very expensive though!

Cheers

Pretty Boy
06-09-2010, 06:37 PM
I bought a handbook from the seller in Norway a week or 2 ago, think it was season 56/7.
I buy from ebay fairly regularly although I find it a bit of a pain wading through the hundreds of programmes that are listed time and again at 99p.
The most valuable programme I have is the european away to barcelona from 60/1. It was the only time I've ever seen it for sale and I think I got it for a fair price, was still very expensive though!

Cheers

Any chance you could tell me how much you got it for? My Grandad played in that match and i have one in the house. Not wanting to sell it but just interested in how much it's worth.

PM me if you don't want to discuss prices on here.

Cluny Hibs
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Any chance you could tell me how much you got it for? My Grandad played in that match and i have one in the house. Not wanting to sell it but just interested in how much it's worth.

PM sent.

Cheers

Jonnyboy
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Mind if I ask who your Grandad is? PM if you prefer :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Mind if I ask who your Grandad is? PM if you prefer :thumbsup:

Joe McClelland

Jonnyboy
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Joe McClelland

Cheers :thumbsup:

Good player he was too :thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Probably Spurs at White Hart Lane in 1948, also got 7-0 game and vs Yams 1955, need to have dig to confirm anymore

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-09-2010, 08:59 PM

"The Beast"

:agree:

davebt
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I've bought a few from ebay the rarest being either the Dunfermline League Cup semi final in 1949 or the friendly at Augsburg (http://www.hibsprogrammes.co.uk/5000510.html) in 1950. Most of the rarer stuff i have has been bought from Almondvale programmes, Rikki Raginia and Alan Cunningham when he had the shop in Forth street(many moons ago), such as European aways at Leipzig, Oesters & Hadjuk Split and away friendlies against Fortuna Dussledorf in 89 The Nigerian Olympic team in 68 and a few of the North American League games when Hibs represented Toronto. A lot of this stuff has been put on the Hibs programmes website.

I've seen the Barcelona away for sale twice, once on ebay and once in a programme shop and to date its the most expensive Hibs programme i have seen for sale.

hibeeleicester
06-09-2010, 11:15 PM

My Great Uncle played in this alongside your grandad at the back! :thumbsup:

Got the programme somehwere, i collect all sorts, but the 7 v 0 one is hanging proudly on the wall :agree:

Conrad Gray
06-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Re the above

Was anyone else on the .net bidding for any of these? - Yes, but outbid on everything

Does anyone regularly buy progs on eBay? - Yes

Is the Norwegian seller a member on the .net? - Not sure, however I emailed him when I saw the quantity/quality that he was selling as I was keen to see what he had lurking. He was a student in Edinburgh in the early 80's and picked up his collection then.

What is the most valuable Hibs prog you have in your collection? - Probably the African or American tour programmes from the 60's

What is the most you have ever paid for one? - Cant say here as the wife would be furious, however I would pay a good amount for any of the outstanding North American or early 50's reserves that I require.

joebakerforever
07-09-2010, 12:12 AM
It's not only football collectors that pay big bucks for old progs.

I collect old Speedway progs and have c. 10,000, from 1928 to date, including the first ever meetings held in Britain (High Beech) and Scotland (Glasgow Nelson).

I am only missing 5 Edinburgh Monarchs homes since 1948 and four away (including Stal Gorzow, Poland 14/10/65).

I'm looking for the first ever meeting at Marine Gardens (19/5/1928) and any from Celtic Park & Carntyne around same time.

I would happily cough up £500 each for any of the 1928's if in good condition.

PM me if you have any old speedway stuff and are looking to sell.

hibeg
07-09-2010, 07:06 AM
It was me who got the St Mirren reserve programme ( thanks Ian ) and the price was not bad as I only need about 5 to complete the season. 55/6 reserves are in my opinion the hardest to acquire. Hibs produced bound volumes from 49/50 to 54/5 inclusive which included all reserve and third team single sheets. The volumes are not common but do occasionally turn up. No volume was produced in 55/6 therefore more rare reserve issues with lower print runs.Thankfully from 56/7 onwards the reserve programmes were not issued.
I would think one of my rarist and most expensive programmes was the Rheims away european cup semi final ironically in 55/6 season.
In my opinion ebay has brought more old programmes into the market and prices have reduced for general league issues from 49/50 to 54/5. Pre 49/5 are a different matter and can go for hundreds. I am still after 2 from 47/8 which would complete my first team post war collection.Been looking for them for 20 odd years :grr:

Boris
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM

I think it is pretty rare, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, not that many Hibs supporters would have been at the away leg in those days & secondly, even if they were, they might not have picked up a copy as it is not really a "match programme" as such - it was that week's issue of the Sporting Lisbon weekly club newspaper. I've never been to Sporting Lisbon but I have been to Benfica a couple of times with Liverpool & on both occassions there was no programme but the Benfica club newspaper for the week of the game, only available at news stands, etc, not at the game, previewed the match.

I bought my copy from a dealer years ago - seem to recall I paid around £35. When I received the paper in the post I was absolutely delighted to find my winning bid gort me 2 copies of the Sporting Lisbon club newspaper. One, dated before the game & generally regarded by Hibs collectors as the programme has a preview of the match, the other dated after the match with a detailed match report.

banarc7062
07-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Those bow legs.....just as if he was born in the saddle but I remember him fondly.:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
07-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm doing a bit digging myself but perhaps someone on this thread can shed some light on another 2 pieces i have at home:

The first is a guest list from the Hibs centenary dinner held in the North British Hotel in 1975. This contains a menu from the night, a list of speaker, Tom Hart, Lord Provost John Millar and the president of the SFA R.G Grimshaw.It contains a lost of guests at the top table and a list of other guests present. It's also autographed by several ex players including but not limited to Gordon Smith, Eddie Turnbull, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Tommy Younger, Jock Weir, Archie Buchanan and John Fraser. This is in excellent condition.

The second is something in German entitled 'Die Blaue Sportschau' dated 12th May 1960 that has team line ups for Hibs and Bayern Munich, there is also an article about Joe Baker on the front page. I've no idea if this is a match programme or a local sports newspaper or what? The Hibs line up is given as: Muirhead, Fraser, McClelland, Falconer, Young, Baxter, McLeod, Johnstone, Buchanan, Gibson and Ormond. Can anyone shed any light on this?

As well as these i also have 2 Scottish youth international programmes from the 1950s, one versus Newcastle United Juniors at St james Park on 26th December 1952 and the second versus Wales at Tynecastle on 11th April 1953.

On top of that i've also got a pewter ashtray in the shape of Camp Nou that i believe was given to the Hibs players as a gift after one of the matches against Barcelona(not totaly sure which one).

Whilst i'm not looking to sell any advice on the monetary/historical value of these items would be much appreciated.

Boris
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Some nice items there. I would guess the Centenary Menu & the Barcelona ashtray could be worth decent sums as they will have been produced in relatively small numbers but hard to put an actual value on them. At the end of the day, if they are up for auction say & you have 2 potential buyers then they could realise a decent sum.

On the Bayern Munich issue the game in question was part of an end of season continental tour. For many years, until relevantly recently in fact, whenever you went to a game in Munich involving either Bayern Bunich or Munich 1860 there would be 2 programmes - a club issue & Die Blaue, often referred to as the stadium edition. Both issues would be on sale at the ground. Die Blaue, as the name suggests was printed on blue paper. Sometimes it was just 4 pages, other times it was 6 pages with the addition of a white single sheet insert. Although referred to as the stadium edition I think the Die Blaue was actually issued by a local sports publisher. A second "stadium edition" was not uncommon for several clubs in Germany & Holland in the post-war years up to a few years ago. I was at Diter Honnes's testimonial in Munich in 1988 when Bayern Munich played Liverpool & there was a standard programme issed by the club plus the Die Blaue edition. The Die Blaue edition is far rarer & collectors pay more for it than the club edition. Again, hard to put a value on the Hibs issue but again, if 2 people are bidding for it it would fetch a decent sum.

Jack
07-09-2010, 11:26 AM
As a youngster coming to Easter Road in the 70s I can always remember getting my programme. As we approached the laundry at the corner of Albion Road and Easter Road, became the ‘Cooked Chicks’ shop and is now a traditional corner shop, we could hear the programme seller calling out ‘Fisshal! Get the fisshal’. Cant ever remember there being an unfisshal programme :confused:, the fanzines came some time later so it wasn’t them. Were there any unofficial programmes in the day? I cant remember ever seeing any.

Anyway I only have 2 programmes left.

The souvenir programme of the 72/73 League Cup final – that’s me on page 5 (I think) with the satin ‘Hibernian’ scarf. And the George Best debut for Hibs which is autographed.

Edit: PS the programme seller took a dim view of youngsters rippin’ the **** - after they had bought there programme of course!

IFONLY
07-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I know you are talking about programmes but a friend of mine just showed me a 7" single of Hands of Hibs by the Mercenaries didnt even know this existed.