PDA

View Full Version : Chief Exec Speaks

PaulSmith
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
To be broadcast at 3pm on Hibs TV.

More on official site, have to say I'm glad that we're hearing more from the boardroom these days

Antifa Hibs
06-09-2010, 01:34 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100906/chief-executive-exclusive-chat-_2262950_2145504

'And talks about the next step ahead for the new look East Stand'

Wonder what that is about?

Boris
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
To be broadcast at 3pm on Hibs TV.

More on official site, have to say I'm glad that we're hearing more from the boardroom these days

Can't say I've noticed - a deafening silence over Anthony Stokes going to Celtic for an "undisclosed fee" unless you count one line on official website.

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100906/chief-executive-exclusive-chat-_2262950_2145504

'And talks about the next step ahead for the new look East Stand'

Wonder what that is about?

Venetian blinds on the front?:confused:

Wilson
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Venetian blinds on the front?:confused:

The addition of pillars for those that require a restricted view :agree:

smurf
06-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Excellent. We are getting communications. Hooray, welcome PR to our football club! Hopefully the next project is getting a team on the park to make us proud of?

Andy74
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Excellent. We are getting communications. Hooray, welcome PR to our football club! Hopefully the next project is getting a team on the park to make us proud of?

Just about every time the Board say something they confirm that getting a succesful football team on the pitch is the driving factor behind everything they do.

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Superb, going to talk about the infrastructure...........................canny wait. If only he'd slip in a comment or 2 about our rock solid finances, that would make my week.

JoJo_07
06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Kiosk fit-out, cladding (corner infills with flagpoles between East / North AND South.

smurf
06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
The board certainly talk the talk with regards to it ultimately being about the team on the park but the reality is somewhat different.

There is growing absolute disillusionment about where we are going on the park within our support.

As a football club we need to start delivering results on the park. Starting on Saturday please!

basehibby
06-09-2010, 02:27 PM
so????? Whatdhesay Whatdesay?????? :hyper:

BoltonHibee
06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
The board certainly talk the talk with regards to it ultimately being about the team on the park but the reality is somewhat different.

There is growing absolute disillusionment about where we are going on the park within our support.

As a football club we need to start delivering results on the park. Starting on Saturday please!

:top marks

Jack
06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

20/20 so far :greengrin

Andy74
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Is it? Seems to me we used to kick about the bottom six, then we've had fleeting moments in third place, then we kicked about in sixth place, then we got to fourth.

Football is still sport and various things can happen but the Board can only create the right conditions for a succesful team. Seems to me they are doing that pretty well.

I was pretty pleased by most of what I'd seen against Motherwell and Rangers and disappointed by St Mirren. I also like the look of the players we've brought in since.

I think growing disillusionment is something that's been created in places like this.

Better, bigger stadium, better pitch, training centre, year on year increases in the budget. The reality of the board action is different how exactly?

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 02:49 PM

In my humble opinion the board do not seem to grasp the way that the majority of fans measure success. They seem to have a completely different way of measuring success that I have no interest in. I'm not saying that I don't understand them just that I have no interest in them.

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Is it? Seems to me we used to kick about the bottom six, then we've had fleeting moments in third place, then we kicked about in sixth place, then we got to fourth?

Our average position over the last 10 years is 6th. Statistically there is no recent events that has changed this fact.

Woody1985
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Our average position over the last 10 years is 6th. Statistically there is no recent events that has changed this fact.

It may not have been enough to change the average but last season we finished 4th so we outperformed our average. Statistically I'd say that you're talking pish. :greengrin

Andy74
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
In my humble opinion the board do not seem to grasp the way that the majority of fans measure success. They seem to have a completely different way of measuring success that I have no interest in. I'm not saying that I don't understand them just that I have no interest in them.

So how do the board measure success in your opinion?

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2010, 03:03 PM

So we had an above average season last year. Well done Hibs and everyone involved.:thumbsup:

Andy74
06-09-2010, 03:04 PM

So, on the back of a lot of spending on long term infrastructure and having lost two big assets and against the backdrop of our rivals spending double the wages we do and others still living outwith their means we finished higher than our average over the last 10 years.

You'd have a lot of convincing to do to suggest that wasn't a season of progress on the field.

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
So how do the board measure success in your opinion?

They come across as very pleased with themselves as a result of having a great infrastructure, having a great bottom line and having a great training centre. I therefore surmise that these are some of their measures.

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
So we had an above average season last year. Well done Hibs and everyone involved.:thumbsup:

With regards to league position I completely agree with that. Well done Hibs:notworthy:

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 03:16 PM
So, on the back of a lot of spending on long term infrastructure and having lost two big assets and against the backdrop of our rivals spending double the wages we do and others still living outwith their means we finished higher than our average over the last 10 years.

You'd have a lot of convincing to do to suggest that wasn't a season of progress on the field.

It's certainly progress on the field over that single seaon with regards to league form. I think what most people measure is far more wide ranging than that.

I actually think we have made little progress on the park over the last few years. But nor have we got worse:thumbsup:

Andy74
06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
They come across as very pleased with themselves as a result of having a great infrastructure, having a great bottom line and having a great training centre. I therefore surmise that these are some of their measures.

Funny, but I have consistently heard them say that first and foremost we are a football team and that everything we do is about trying to create the best environment for success on the pitch.

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Funny, but I have consistently heard them say that first and foremost we are a football team and that everything we do is about trying to create the best environment for success on the pitch.

Don't doubt that but do you think they feel we have progressed?

bighairyfaeleith
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I think we have made great progress over the last four years in terms of the club as a whole. Now that most of that work has been done the full focus should be on the team(s)

So the youth team and the first team should be where the club focus's it's attention. This doesn't mean we spend millions on players. However it does mean that we employ the best coaches, recruit the best managers we can, invest in a good scouting network to help us get the best of the young talent around.

remember the ajax team from about ten years ago, almost the full squad came through the youth system and cost next to nothing, it can be done and success can come without big money buys.

We are always going to have to box above our weight, but at least now we should be able to put a bit more weight behind what we are doing.

Speedway
06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Doesn't really matter what he says on that channel.

I used to really enjoy HibsTV, it felt like a real fan driven initiative.

Now it's a scripted propaganda channel and therefore the content is strictly PH Neutral.

That's why I've stopped subscribing (Yes- Ripping yet more badly needed cash from the pockets of the club. Call myself a supporter? Pah! etc)

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 03:41 PM
It may not have been enough to change the average but last season we finished 4th so we outperformed our average. Statistically I'd say that you're talking pish. :greengrin

If this had been the only event I'd disagree but I've talked pish often enough to say the probability is that your right:wink:

Andy74
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't doubt that but do you think they feel we have progressed?

I thought you did doubt that earlier?

I'm sure they will have seen 4th place as progress and I've no doubt, given the changes we've had in managers recently, that they take what happens on the pitch seriously and will be looking for all their work to be refelcted more consistently on the pitch.

Hughes has also said that the team is still well away from what he wants and I think that on this occassion the Board will try and help see that through.

I doubt they will have been happy with our cup performances and will be looking for the team to be more consistent and not suffer as big a drop in form as we did last year.

We can see by the guys we have brought in this year that the manager sees the same sort of weaknesses we do but he has the job of actlully finding the right guys at the right time to carry it out. Seems to me that the Board keep finding the budget to bring guys in and that is a good sign.

So, i'm sure like all of us the board will see some progress but will not be satisfied until we are more consistently challenging for prizes and progressing in Europe where we can.

truehibernian
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I am a huge believer in that old adage and sadly far too commonly used expression "actions speak louder than words". Hibernian's boards' actions have seen year on year profits last 6/7 years, a new modern and increased capacity stadium, brand new training centre, team that has remained competitive on the field, a CIS cup win, a couple of semi-finals and losing Finalists, in Europe twice, seen some memorable games (good and bad). All in the space of 10 years and coming from a position of nearly £22 odd million in debt (with none of the previously mentioned things). Look at across the road and what their board has promised, then contrast and compare ? Look at Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Motherwell............can't say they have a board like our's either. For me, the board and STF and RP needn't justify or qualify to me what they are doing, as I trust them implicitly that they are taking the club forward and making sure it is here for years to come for me, my son, and his children. Their results prove that. And that is what it is all about on AND OFF the park :agree:

GreenPJ
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM

I think what has been done off the pitch has and will be of great benefit, but as someone else has rightly pointed out now is the time to start to focus on the actual teams (first team, first team squad and youth).

I also think that whilst we achieved above average last year based on the last 10 years, the objectives at the start of the year must have been to qualify for Europe and get into the latter stages of the cups. Not sure we really exceeded those objectives although we certainly met one of them.

The proof in the pudding is ultimately how many people turn up to watch the team. That has fallen due to a number of reasons (financial obviously being very relevant) but in addition the numbers have also fallen because of lethargy towards watching tedious football, confusing tactics and some players who do not appear to be giving their all for the jersey. These can all be addressed (either by the current management team or a new one) but the board need to support and manage the management team in addressing these issues.

PaulSmith
06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I presume I'll need to head home and watch this maself to get a summary then!

Andy74
06-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I think what has been done off the pitch has and will be of great benefit, but as someone else has rightly pointed out now is the time to start to focus on the actual teams (first team, first team squad and youth).

I also think that whilst we achieved above average last year based on the last 10 years, the objectives at the start of the year must have been to qualify for Europe and get into the latter stages of the cups. Not sure we really exceeded those objectives although we certainly met one of them.

The proof in the pudding is ultimately how many people turn up to watch the team. That has fallen due to a number of reasons (financial obviously being very relevant) but in addition the numbers have also fallen because of lethargy towards watching tedious football, confusing tactics and some players who do not appear to be giving their all for the jersey. These can all be addressed (either by the current management team or a new one) but the board need to support and manage the management team in addressing these issues.

So what more do we do for the 'actual teams'? Ignoring for a minute the training centre, pitch etc benefit the teams.

The budget is increased year on year despite us paying for these other things. We've been able to sign just in the last few years guys like Riordan, Murray, Miller, Stokes, a couple of guys from the Dutch top division, etc.

We were told on here before Riordan resigned that a player like him coming back would add about 2000 to the gate. Aye, that happened.

Things might not have worked out just the way we'd have liked but you can't fault the attempt by the Board to put the best team possible out on the pitch.

If you disagree I'd be interested to see, backed up by some numbers, what more could have been done to fund the playing side.

500miles
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Right, clearly people have taken the huff over Anthony Stokes.

Scott Lindsay is saying that we "CHOSE" to sell him - our hand was not forced. He also pointed out that the manager was fully involved in that decision, Anthony Stokes was desparate to move to the team he supports - Celtic, and the manager wants players who want to be here. Hibs don't discuss transfer fees - as we all know - so undisclosed shall remain so.

matty_f
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM
So what more do we do for the 'actual teams'? Ignoring for a minute the training centre, pitch etc benefit the teams.

The budget is increased year on year despite us paying for these other things. We've been able to sign just in the last few years guys like Riordan, Murray, Miller, Stokes, a couple of guys from the Dutch top division, etc.

We were told on here before Riordan resigned that a player like him coming back would add about 2000 to the gate. Aye, that happened.

Things might not have worked out just the way we'd have liked but you can't fault the attempt by the Board to put the best team possible out on the pitch.

If you disagree I'd be interested to see, backed up by some numbers, what more could have been done to fund the playing side.

Beej kindly posted the number of players we've signed since (IIRC) Collins took over, and there was a figure of about 40 players who have been signed by the club.

That would have been a significant expense to the board, and demonstrates (IMHO) categorically that they've tried their best to back the managers to get a winning team on the field.

The problem is that for every MAC or Ghatteussi that we sign, it diminishes how much is available for the next signing. We can't just pretend they never happened (as much as we'd probably like to!).

We need to reduce the turnover of players to noticably see a difference in the quality of signing the increased investment from the board is making.

Andy74
06-09-2010, 04:33 PM

Scott Lindsay is saying that we "CHOSE" to sell him - our hand was not forced. He also pointed out that the manager was fully involved in that decision, Anthony Stokes was desparate to move to the team he supports - Celtic, and the manager wants players who want to be here. Hibs don't discuss transfer fees - as we all know - so undisclosed shall remain so.

Anything else of interest?

500miles
06-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Anything else of interest?

Aye.

3pm
06-09-2010, 04:45 PM
We've signed 40 players because of the continuois ***** choice of managers.

PaulSmith
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
In Summary:

East Stand - Fit out & corner infills at both ends to be completed. Flag poles on top of infills.

Early season form - Too early to draw conclusions. everyone disapointed with St Mirren but "inevitable" due to being as close to the transfer window with players minds possibly elsewhere. Manager feeds back to the Board regularly.

Transfer window - The Manager wanted to re-balance the squad as we had scored the 3rd highest goals but also conceded the 3rd highest.Manager wanted flexibility to adapt. 6 new players in since opening of window plus players promoted from u 19s. 5 players left through freedom of contract and 6 younger players have went out on loan.

Stokes - Desperate to join Celtic, made feelings known and Board and manager then choose to sell him on this basis. SL then proceeded to talk about what the manager wants in character, standards and professionalism at the club..perhaps subtle dig at Stokes.

Next window - Planning started on Sept 1st looking at any potential new recruits.

Next Stages - Took stock in summer and made changes in consultation with football management to change the gym around at EM, install a more stricter & detailed sports science approach, changed the training regime and set up a new set of guidelines for the players.

Stadium - wants to actively attract Cup Semi finals and u 21 games to ER.

The_Todd
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Aye, and it will. But before we get impatient let us remember that the new East Stand has only seen one match so far - the cement is barely dry!

What I'm saying in a round about kinda way is that the completion of the new East Stand will have had an impact in the clubs finances and instead of throwing cash around the place we need to consolidate for a bit I'd guess. You wouldn't go out and buy a car one payday then spend all your next paycheque on a holiday, for example. You wait, then spend again - otherwise your bank manager would probably have a heart attack. Hibs will be no different. The East Stand didn't come free, and despite all rumours Rod doesn't grow tenners in his 'tache.

When things settle down then there's nowhere else for the cash to go but the squad since everything else is done. A bit of patience, and I think we'll be fine.

down the slope
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
We've signed 40 players because of the continuois ***** choice of managers.

Never a truer word said.:top marks

Andy74
06-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Aye.

Don't worry, a grown up came along with the info.

WhileTheChief..
06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I think we have made great progress over the last four years in terms of the club as a whole. Now that most of that work has been done the full focus should be on the team(s)

So the youth team and the first team should be where the club focus's it's attention. This doesn't mean we spend millions on players. However it does mean that we employ the best coaches, recruit the best managers we can, invest in a good scouting network to help us get the best of the young talent around.

remember the ajax team from about ten years ago, almost the full squad came through the youth system and cost next to nothing, it can be done and success can come without big money buys.

We are always going to have to box above our weight, but at least now we should be able to put a bit more weight behind what we are doing.

If you get a chance you should watch Bill Hendry's interview on Hibs TV from last year. He gives a really good insight on how the whole youth set up works.

At the time they had 200+ kids from 8 - 16 in the system.

I liked what Scot Lindsay had to say. Seems like a genuine guy that cares about our club and I am happy to take him at face value.

We always moan that we want more communication then as soon as the board say something we moan about it - some before they even hear what it is!! (Not directed at you btw).

Onwards and upwards.

Bostonhibby
06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Superb, going to talk about the infrastructure...........................canny wait. If only he'd slip in a comment or 2 about our rock solid finances, that would make my week.

:agree: its references to balance sheets and profit and loss accounts that gets me going :wink: once this is all sorted out we can maybe start looking at securing our football assets, like Riordan for example.

Beefster
06-09-2010, 06:03 PM

It also means you slaughtered Mixu for a year for performing to the Hibs norm.

Gatecrasher
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
In Summary:

East Stand - Fit out & corner infills at both ends to be completed. Flag poles on top of infills.

Early season form - Too early to draw conclusions. everyone disapointed with St Mirren but "inevitable" due to being as close to the transfer window with players minds possibly elsewhere. Manager feeds back to the Board regularly.

Transfer window - The Manager wanted to re-balance the squad as we had scored the 3rd highest goals but also conceded the 3rd highest.Manager wanted flexibility to adapt. 6 new players in since opening of window plus players promoted from u 19s. 5 players left through freedom of contract and 6 younger players have went out on loan.

Stokes - Desperate to join Celtic, made feelings known and Board and manager then choose to sell him on this basis. SL then proceeded to talk about what the manager wants in character, standards and professionalism at the club..perhaps subtle dig at Stokes.

Next window - Planning started on Sept 1st looking at any potential new recruits.

Next Stages - Took stock in summer and made changes in consultation with football management to change the gym around at EM, install a more stricter & detailed sports science approach, changed the training regime and set up a new set of guidelines for the players.

Stadium - wants to actively attract Cup Semi finals and u 21 games to ER.

cheers

iwasthere1972
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Pleased as punch at the decision by the board not to open the exit gates at Easter Road on matchday until 5 minutes before the end of the match. It was at the request of the players.

Beefster
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Pleased as punch at the decision by the board not to open the exit gates at Easter Road on matchday until 5 minutes before the end of the match. It was at the request of the players.

It should be 15 minutes after the match has ended to make sure that everyone stays until the end, applauds the players off and had been to the loo before they leave.

BroxburnHibee
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
So am I reading this right - I haven't seen the interview.

Did a member of "Our Most Expensive Board Per % Of T/O In The SPL Explain The Sale Of Stokes"

:dunno:

500miles
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Why bother? It'll either be totally ignored by those who prefer to mump and moan, or spun negatively.

KdyHby
06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
and had been to the loo before they leave.

hopefully ensuring they wash their hands

--------
06-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Aye, and it will. But before we get impatient let us remember that the new East Stand has only seen one match so far - the cement is barely dry!

What I'm saying in a round about kinda way is that the completion of the new East Stand will have had an impact in the clubs finances and instead of throwing cash around the place we need to consolidate for a bit I'd guess. You wouldn't go out and buy a car one payday then spend all your next paycheque on a holiday, for example. You wait, then spend again - otherwise your bank manager would probably have a heart attack. Hibs will be no different. The East Stand didn't come free, and despite all rumours Rod doesn't grow tenners in his 'tache.

When things settle down then there's nowhere else for the cash to go but the squad since everything else is done. A bit of patience, and I think we'll be fine.

Waiting for things to settle down and taking things one step at a time aren't ideas that come too easily bto some of us. Some of us want everything yesterday....

Hibby D
06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
(Yes- Ripping yet more badly needed cash from the pockets of the club. Call myself a supporter? Pah! etc)

You and me both! I absolutely refuse to pay one shilling in order to listen to our Chief Executive chat about matters that every fan is entitled to hear FREE OF CHARGE!

Of course I don't know how many subscribers Hibs TV has but I'm going to ping a guess at significantly less than the number of walk up fans and a fraction of the numbers who hold season tickets.

But it's refreshing to know the club are willing to speak to one section of it's support (for a small fee of course) :bitchy:

Jonnyboy
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
You and me both! I absolutely refuse to pay one shilling in order to listen to our Chief Executive chat about matters that every fan is entitled to hear FREE OF CHARGE!

Of course I don't know how many subscribers Hibs TV has but I'm going to ping a guess at significantly less than the number of walk up fans and a fraction of the numbers who hold season tickets.

But it's refreshing to know the club are willing to speak to one section of it's support (for a small fee of course) :bitchy:

As well as significantly fewer than those who use this site D :agree:

Like you I'll keep my shillings in my pocket (only it's groats for me :greengrin)

--------
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Like you I'll keep my shillings in my pocket (only it's groats for me :greengrin)

Does that make you John O' Groats then? :cool2:

I'll get ma coat. :bye:

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
It should be 15 minutes after the match has ended to make sure that everyone stays until the end, applauds the players off and had been to the loo before they leave.

It was different on the terraces, you could spirit away without blocking people's view. Now it's a major source of annoyance when you have to keep getting up to let people out.

BroxburnHibee
06-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Take your point John but I'm sure Scott Lindsay knows that when he speaks on there - it will end up in here. :agree:

Anyway I await on Smurf's apology :tee hee:

500miles
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
What's the rage about having to pay for Hibs TV? It's a premium service, aye, but the papers regurgitate most of it in articles. Hibs TV just get to see the source itself, before it is written about. Every Hibs fan will get the information, just Hibs TV gets it first.

smurf
06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
So how exactly can a season ticket holder hear the explanation for the sale of Stokes BroxburnHibee?

Jonnyboy
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Does that make you John O' Groats then? :cool2:

I'll get ma coat. :bye:

I'll help you put it on :greengrin

Jonnyboy
06-09-2010, 07:26 PM
What's the rage about having to pay for Hibs TV? It's a premium service, aye, but the papers regurgitate most of it in articles. Hibs TV just get to see the source itself, before it is written about. Every Hibs fan will get the information, just Hibs TV gets it first.

As you say it's a premium service and it's only right that subscribers get to hear what's being said. My 'beef' if you can call it that is that had the club allowed free viewing of that interview then it may have attracted more subscribers because then we'd all get a taste of what we're missing :wink:

It would do no harm IMO to offer up free viewing of bits and pieces now and again

3pm
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
You get nowt for free at ER John - you know that by now! :o)

500miles
06-09-2010, 07:34 PM
As you say it's a premium service and it's only right that subscribers get to hear what's being said. My 'beef' if you can call it that is that had the club allowed free viewing of that interview then it may have attracted more subscribers because then we'd all get a taste of what we're missing :wink:

It would do no harm IMO to offer up free viewing of bits and pieces now and again

You get a excerpt from the interview on the main page regarding Stokes, which is the main talking point at the moment.

iwasthere1972
06-09-2010, 07:38 PM

So long as it's not match highlights. :wink:

BroxburnHibee
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
So how exactly can a season ticket holder hear the explanation for the sale of Stokes BroxburnHibee?

Thats no an apology :wink:

I'm a season ticket holder - I've had an explanation (not that I wanted one).

You carry on though. :aok:

Jonnyboy
06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
You get a excerpt from the interview on the main page regarding Stokes, which is the main talking point at the moment.

Maybe so but I'd like to have heard it all, not just the Stokes bit :wink:

So long as it's not match highlights. :wink:

Indeed :greengrin

silverhibee
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM

:tee hee:

500miles
06-09-2010, 07:53 PM

But it's the part that has the most chins wagging. Since it's being made such a big issue, Scott Lindsay has addressed it through a medium available to just about everyone.

smurf
06-09-2010, 07:53 PM
So how can a walk-up supporter or season ticket holder hear this explanation BroxburnHibee? Are you only a part of the so called 'Hibernian Family' entitled to answers to legitimate questions if you subscribe to Hibernian TV?

What have I to apologise for?

BroxburnHibee
06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
So how can a walk-up supporter or season ticket holder hear this explanation BroxburnHibee? Are you only a part of the so called 'Hibernian Family' entitled to answers to legitimate questions if you subscribe to Hibernian TV?

What have I to apologise for?

Smurf your agenda is boring me - I cant access the interview as I've already stated however a reasonable summary IMO has already been posted on here.

This forum is public and gets a lot more hits than the official site so I would argue that Hibs fans get more info (good & bad) about the team from what they read on here. Scott Lindsay knows this and knows whenever he speaks it will end up on here.

They also get to read a whole load of crap as well.

I'll remind you that you asked "Will Our Most Expensive Board Per % Of T/O In The SPL Explain The Sale Of Stokes"

I ask you - has Scott Lindsay done that.

Boris
06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I liked what Scot Lindsay had to say. Seems like a genuine guy that cares about our club and I am happy to take him at face value.

He is & he does. I don't know him personally but in his time as a Director first time round he attended the first fundraising dinner run by the Hibs Historical Trust. I was Treasurer when I was involved. All the Board were invited as guests. I can't recall who all attended but Scott certainly did. Towards the end of the night he asked me how much the ticket would have cost had he been asked to repay. As I recall it was £50. Scott immediately wrote out a personal cheque to the Trust - for £100. Nice gesture - class act.:thumbsup:

greenlex
06-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Smurf do you want SL to nip round everyones houses for a chat?
The guy has used medium to answer some fans critisism. I will bet EVERY fan who has an interest will know if they want.What would you like him to do?
How did they do it in the old days?

sahib
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Smurf do you want SL to nip round everyones houses for a chat?
The guy has used medium to answer some fans critisism. I will bet EVERY fan who has an interest will know if they want.What would you like him to do?
How did they do it in the old days?

Perhaps he could use the medium to contact Hugh Shaw or Willie McCartney and get some advice for Yogi.

HibbyKeith
07-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Hibernian TV is no different than the Hibs.net private membership

all supporters get the info eventually, but those willing to part with the cash get the info first. :wink:

Hibs On Tour
07-09-2010, 09:06 AM

*If* we chose to sell him, then that means there was no release clause, yes? *If* we chose to sell him, then the figures being bandied about are pish for a player with 2 years left on a 3-year contract that has just scored 23 goals last season. Realise "undisclosed" means just that, but IMHO unless the fee was in the region of £2-3m we've shafted ourselves.

Is that taking the huff or thinking we've cut our noses off to spite our faces...?

smurf
07-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Smurf your agenda is boring me - I cant access the interview as I've already stated however a reasonable summary IMO has already been posted on here.

Two points;

1, "Smurf your agenda is boring me". I found that particularly amusing tbh. Why then engage in debate with me? Because we appear to have a difference of opinion that bores you? And for what it's worth i have no "agenda" that i'm aware of. And i shall expand further if that's ok?

2, If you can't access the interview then how can you conclude that it's a reasonable summary? I'm not attempting to be a 'smart arse' but seriously i'm confused by that...

This forum is public and gets a lot more hits than the official site so I would argue that Hibs fans get more info (good & bad) about the team from what they read on here. Scott Lindsay knows this and knows whenever he speaks it will end up on here.

I'd agree. But with respect to this site i don't understand why some supporters should only get a dilluted version of the interview through it.

Nontheless thank the lord for this site and other mediums for giving us some kind of version of the reasons why we sold Anthony Stokes.

I've not yet checked the official site today but i hope there is something i can access (without charging me:wink:) that lets me read or hear Scott Lindsay's comments.

They also get to read a whole load of crap as well.

They do. And they don't. Depending on their opinions and that of each respective supporter. Surely?

Our board are custodians of our club. IMO they are rightly remunerated. It's not for me to say whether they are by too much or too little. But what i do know is that if they are not accountable to us then regardless to whether they are a good, bad or ugly board that will be a sad and dangerous day for our club.

With respect i think you need to question your obvious 'If they question the board or dare they attack the board then they have an agenda' mindset. I'm actually pretty confident our board do have at all times the better interests of our club at heart. But i don't think it's unreasonable to attempt to hold them to account (it's near impossible for us mere supporters to do anyway) through scrutiny and observation.

It's not personal and i think as i said a very dangerous road to go down by infering that any supporter asking questions of our board has an "agenda".

I'll remind you that you asked "Will Our Most Expensive Board Per % Of T/O In The SPL Explain The Sale Of Stokes"

And why exactly did i ask? Because at that particular time they hadn't. The point of that thread was that our board (overall IMO doing a good job) who are quite well remunerated (at least by % to turnover compared to other SPL clubs) hadn't at that point shown respect to us mere supporters, by explaining in however small way, the reasons behind selling one of our top players, not long after around 10,000 had forked out quite a lot of cash for Season Tickets, against a particularly difficult economic climate.

I ask you - has Scott Lindsay done that.

It appears he has going by third hand information. And if i was to rely on that i might believe a lot of other things with regards to our board of directors and then really have an agenda.:greengrin

But seriously if that is indeed the case then i congratulate Scott Lindsay (who i actually think is in the main very very good at his job. Speaks with clarity and could improve tremendously our communications and club PR if he spoke more often) for doing that.

However, IMHO the club should have communicated sooner and to us all.

Hopefully, we can agree or agree to disagree.

And hope i've not bored you too much.

Opinions eh?:greengrin

Sergio sledge
07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
*If* we chose to sell him, then that means there was no release clause, yes? *If* we chose to sell him, then the figures being bandied about are pish for a player with 2 years left on a 3-year contract that has just scored 23 goals last season. Realise "undisclosed" means just that, but IMHO unless the fee was in the region of £2-3m we've shafted ourselves.

Is that taking the huff or thinking we've cut our noses off to spite our faces...?

*If* the fee was what the press were suggesting....:wink:

It suits Hibs to have an "undisclosed" figure, because other clubs don't know how much money Hibs have just raked in when we are trying to negotiate deals for other players.

It also does however suit Celtic to release info on the sly to journalists, down playing the figure so that their fans think they got a great deal. The only people who know how much the figure was are the Hibs board and the Celtic board, and possibly both managers.

If the deal was £1.2m up front, with another £800k in add ons dependant on goals, international apps etc, would you be more happy with that?

Notice in the free taster on the official site, SL makes a comment about needing the right type of players at the club with the right attitude to training and how they live their life, and to get that you have to sometimes make tough decisions, "as was the case here." (with Stokes) To me, this explains it clearly.

Sergio sledge
07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I've not yet checked the official site today but i hope there is something i can access (without charging me:wink:) that lets me read or hear Scott Lindsay's comments.

Go here (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10290,00.html) and on the right there is a Hibernian TV player which shows free samples, the Scott Lindsay interview is the first in the list, and he answers the Stokes question in the free sample.

truehibernian
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
The thing is, what would you rather have as a supporter of a club. The way Hibernian operate and only deal with things in private, and announce things once they are completed and documented (and rightly being private about fees).

Or the way say

Hearts operate - conduct a lot of their "business" in the media glare, unafraid to upset players in contract/not play them for refusal, upset/unsettle those at other sides in contract (Bryson most recently), openly state they are after players only to have that dashed by an autocratic owner (Hartley) ?

Dundee Utd - clearly in need of money, releasing good players due to affordability (for nothing), playing a chance waiting game with Boro over Conway only to have Thomson come out this week saying "we thought they would come in with an improved offer in the last hour of the window, as this often happens, but sadly they never, so we have to get on with it (implying their "game of chance" backfired) - oh and it was an offer of £300,000 up front and £300,000 in unrealistic add-on's, so not exactly premium price for arguably their top player - the same Stephen Thomson who at the end of last season went on record applauding and praising Hibernian and their board for the way they operate ?

Motherwell - openly stating in the media they need new players for the squad, yet only getting Alan Gow on a free (a player who has talked to and had more medicals this pre-season than a whole squad of players), a team who have to go via the media to get paid from a club who were notorious for being financially problematic ?

With football being a cut-throat business I can totally appreciate and understand the Hibernian board trying to keep things in-house, and certainly when it comes to transfer fees and contracts. We need to be in strong bargaining positions with clubs who are interested in our players, and it would be weakened terribly if they were so open. Mick McCarthy summed it up (and made it clear that it is the common perception in the game) by saying that Hibs are known over football for never letting players go "on the cheap". Our selling strategy is now pretty ingrained, and the sales of Brown/Whittaker/Thomson/O'Connor/Fletcher/Stokes have set a magical benchmark which means opposing chairmen and owners now know the minimum we will consider (and then it's "round the table" and RP saying "let's talk"). How much did Well get for Faddy and Clarkson ? How much did Utd get for Noel Hunt, Marc Wilson, Flood, Robson - are there a clamour of clubs in for Bauben, Gomis and Goodwillie ? And do we want to be in Hearts position ?

Since the days of Stanton and Co we have sold our best players, but it's only been to ensure the club progress financially and that the players want to go. Scott Lindsay and the board always get my vote of confidence and can choose their moments when they want to divulge anything, as I am fully satisfied they are doing the club proud and leading us very very well.

smurf
07-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Go here (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10290,00.html) and on the right there is a Hibernian TV player which shows free samples, the Scott Lindsay interview is the first in the list, and he answers the Stokes question in the free sample.

Thank you. Interesting comments from Scott Lindsay reading between the lines....

Stevie Reid
07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
The thing is, what would you rather have as a supporter of a club. The way Hibernian operate and only deal with things in private, and announce things once they are completed and documented (and rightly being private about fees).

Or the way say

Hearts operate - conduct a lot of their "business" in the media glare, unafraid to upset players in contract/not play them for refusal, upset/unsettle those at other sides in contract (Bryson most recently), openly state they are after players only to have that dashed by an autocratic owner (Hartley) ?

Dundee Utd - clearly in need of money, releasing good players due to affordability (for nothing), playing a chance waiting game with Boro over Conway only to have Thomson come out this week saying "we thought they would come in with an improved offer in the last hour of the window, as this often happens, but sadly they never, so we have to get on with it (implying their "game of chance" backfired) - oh and it was an offer of £300,000 up front and £300,000 in unrealistic add-on's, so not exactly premium price for arguably their top player - the same Stephen Thomson who at the end of last season went on record applauding and praising Hibernian and their board for the way they operate ?

Motherwell - openly stating in the media they need new players for the squad, yet only getting Alan Gow on a free (a player who has talked to and had more medicals this pre-season than a whole squad of players), a team who have to go via the media to get paid from a club who were notorious for being financially problematic ?

With football being a cut-throat business I can totally appreciate and understand the Hibernian board trying to keep things in-house, and certainly when it comes to transfer fees and contracts. We need to be in strong bargaining positions with clubs who are interested in our players, and it would be weakened terribly if they were so open. Mick McCarthy summed it up (and made it clear that it is the common perception in the game) by saying that Hibs are known over football for never letting players go "on the cheap". Our selling strategy is now pretty ingrained, and the sales of Brown/Whittaker/Thomson/O'Connor/Fletcher/Stokes have set a magical benchmark which means opposing chairmen and owners now know the minimum we will consider (and then it's "round the table" and RP saying "let's talk"). How much did Well get for Faddy and Clarkson ? How much did Utd get for Noel Hunt, Marc Wilson, Flood, Robson - are there a clamour of clubs in for Bauben, Gomis and Goodwillie ? And do we want to be in Hearts position ?

Since the days of Stanton and Co we have sold our best players, but it's only been to ensure the club progress financially and that the players want to go. Scott Lindsay and the board always get my vote of confidence and can choose their moments when they want to divulge anything, as I am fully satisfied they are doing the club proud and leading us very very well.

Excellent post.

Graham Law
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Or the way say

Very good post and very refreshing to read something worth posting as there sure has been some drizzle posted in recent times on this forum.

500miles
07-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Did he want to be here? No. Do you get the same return from a dissatisfied player? No, so he therefore would likely score less this season.

Furthermore, we already have two strikers who we can rely on for a combined 30 + goals a season, and bring in Duffy who's short time in the SPL indicates that he can perhaps get 15 at least.

As things were, it could be argued that playing Stokes and Riordan in the same team makes us a weaker unit, and therefore only playing with Riordan can make us a harder working team overrall and ease pressure on an overworked defence. The back four get a lot of stick at Hibs, but i think it is forgotton how often they come under attack from the opposition, compared to more solid teams like Dundee United - who, by the way, don't have a single player with more than 15 goals a season, suggesting that it isn't quite the necessity we think it is.

DeGraff has already scored goals, as has Miller from midfield, which is promising for the season ahead.

Perhaps this is what Yogi means by "shuffling the pack". When we lose Stokes, we lose goals, but not much else. However, if the remainder of the team can pitch in and make up the deficit, then you're up on the deal, because Stokes wasn't a great contributor to the team as a whole.

Kaiser1962
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I agree about Riordan and hope, and am confident, they get it sorted quickly. The business side of things looks good as anything that is not built on solid foundations will inevitably crumble and collapse.

:agree: its references to balance sheets and profit and loss accounts that gets me going :wink: once this is all sorted out we can maybe start looking at securing our football assets, like Riordan for example.

BEEJ
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Or the way say

:top marks Well constructed argument. Spot on.

1875 NO 1
07-09-2010, 05:57 PM

I could be wrong but I think they couldn't wait to tellus how much they sold Scott Brown for

Cropley10
07-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I could be wrong but I think they couldn't wait to tellus how much they sold Scott Brown for

They did. IIRC it was for a record fee between Scottish clubs. Good plan IMHO.

Hibs On Tour
07-09-2010, 11:23 PM
*If* the fee was what the press were suggesting....:wink:

It suits Hibs to have an "undisclosed" figure, because other clubs don't know how much money Hibs have just raked in when we are trying to negotiate deals for other players.

It also does however suit Celtic to release info on the sly to journalists, down playing the figure so that their fans think they got a great deal. The only people who know how much the figure was are the Hibs board and the Celtic board, and possibly both managers.

If the deal was £1.2m up front, with another £800k in add ons dependant on goals, international apps etc, would you be more happy with that?

Notice in the free taster on the official site, SL makes a comment about needing the right type of players at the club with the right attitude to training and how they live their life, and to get that you have to sometimes make tough decisions, "as was the case here." (with Stokes) To me, this explains it clearly.

It seems however that there are more than a few on here who claim to have knowledge of the amount and I've yet to see anyone claim that it wasn't £800k rising to perhaps £1.2m. If it were £1.2m rising potentially to £2m I dare say I would be happier because £800k-1.2m is just too damned cheap, endof.

I don't think there's any arguement about AS off-field side not being the best, my query is whether this would make it worth accepting a bid of £800k-1.2m if that has been the case. For me, probably not.

Hibs On Tour
07-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Did he want to be here? No. Do you get the same return from a dissatisfied player? No, so he therefore would likely score less this season.

Far too simplistic. Good man-managers can use disatisfaction with an immediate move as leverage to encourage a good 'final season' out of players before they get their move later. I don't therefore buy that AS would automatically have scored less this season if he'd stayed. Players may be petulent children but I've yet to be convinced that any of them wouldn't realise that taking the huff and not trying would benefit them or help them earn their move in the longer-term. More likely would be an 'I'll prove them wrong' attitude IMHO...

Furthermore, we already have two strikers who we can rely on for a combined 30 + goals a season, and bring in Duffy who's short time in the SPL indicates that he can perhaps get 15 at least.

Not from where I'm sitting. Deek and Nishy got a combined total of 27 goals in all competitions last season. Almost half of Nishy's were in our final two games. Duffy's scoring record has been patchy since moving down South so lets wait and see before making predictions there no? If DR were to get injured IMO we're seriously goal-shy as it stands...

As things were, it could be argued that playing Stokes and Riordan in the same team makes us a weaker unit, and therefore only playing with Riordan can make us a harder working team overrall and ease pressure on an overworked defence. The back four get a lot of stick at Hibs, but i think it is forgotton how often they come under attack from the opposition, compared to more solid teams like Dundee United - who, by the way, don't have a single player with more than 15 goals a season, suggesting that it isn't quite the necessity we think it is.

DeGraff has already scored goals, as has Miller from midfield, which is promising for the season ahead.

Perhaps this is what Yogi means by "shuffling the pack". When we lose Stokes, we lose goals, but not much else. However, if the remainder of the team can pitch in and make up the deficit, then you're up on the deal, because Stokes wasn't a great contributor to the team as a whole.

If the team pitch in and score an extra 23 goals compared to last season, I'll be astonished. Miller has scored 12 goals in the past 10 seasons, so I wouldn't be expecting a barrage from him - last seasons score of 2 is above his average.

I do take your points but ultimately winning games is more about scoring goals than it is about any other single aspect of the game. Losing a 20+ goal a season striker is a massive loss whichever way you look at it and it *will* be very hard to replace those goals. Without them, look again at last season and think where we would have ended up...

shamo9
07-09-2010, 11:40 PM

I'd love to see a Hibs game for free as well but...

If you want to see Hibs in action you buy a ticket. You want to see the behind the scenes gossip you get Hibernian TV.

No where on the season or matchday ticket does it say that they'll keep you informed on the goings on at Hibs.

And it's not as if Hibs hide this service in a dark corner so no one can subscribe, it's plastered all over the website and I'm sure there's numerous signs around the stadium as well

1875 NO 1
08-09-2010, 07:21 AM
They did. IIRC it was for a record fee between Scottish clubs. Good plan IMHO.

Which shows they tell you want they want too...................things that make them look good.

They wont tell us Stokes fee as it is a poor deal

Beefster
08-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I'd love to see a Hibs game for free as well but...

If you want to see Hibs in action you buy a ticket. You want to see the behind the scenes gossip you get Hibernian TV.

No where on the season or matchday ticket does it say that they'll keep you informed on the goings on at Hibs.

And it's not as if Hibs hide this service in a dark corner so no one can subscribe, it's plastered all over the website and I'm sure there's numerous signs around the stadium as well

If they've got any idea of PR and/or good relations with the supporters who actually fund the club (i.e. the season ticket holders), they'll understand the importance of communication. They aren't going to effectively blackmail ST holders into subscribing so that they can hear the Board's opinions/visions but it may become part of a process/treatment that may well drive some ST holders, eventually, away from the club.

As you say Hibs TV is for a 'behind the scenes' look at the club, players and management. Basic Chairman/CEO communication (which isn't the 'gossip' you mention) with supporters should not be 'paid for'. If it is, it shows how out of touch with the support some at ER are becoming.

flash
08-09-2010, 07:56 AM
I agree. i signed up for the match footage and would expect any important statements to be free to view for all.

smurf
08-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Great to see common sense is prevailing on this thread. The club have an obligation to communicate with us IMO. As a minimum what Scott Lindsay has said should have been typed up and put on the official site for us all to read. Especially as comment from either Rod Petrie and Scott Lindsay is hardly a regular occurrence.