PDA

View Full Version : NHC Harry Potter gets the Lichtenstein excuses in already...

The_Todd
05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/04/craig-levein-scotland-football

Levein's latest target is the management of the Liechtenstein national team, who will visit Hampden Park on Euro 2012 qualifying business on Tuesday. He has been riled by Liechtenstein's refusal, as would normally be regarded a basic courtesy, to supply him with a DVD recording of their meeting with Spain on Friday. Liechtenstein's notable lack of match action before the 4-0 loss to the world champions means they are already enough of an unknown quantity for Levein to be slightly edgy, before this mini-international incident.

"The hardest team to look at so far have been Liechtenstein because they just haven't played," Levein says. "So the information from that Spain game is important.

"I was annoyed that the Liechtenstein FA contacted us and said they weren't going to send us the DVD. They contacted the Scottish FA last Wednesday to say that. We send our DVDs to other countries right away; it is a courtesy. So I was annoyed as soon as I heard that."

So if we get beat by Lichtenstein it's because he didn't get a DVD. Yawn.

Ed De Gramo
05-09-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/04/craig-levein-scotland-football

So if we get beat by Lichtenstein it's because he didn't get a DVD. Yawn.

Maybe they only have a VCR? :greengrin

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Tut tut Potter...... should have used iraqgoals. :wink:

500miles
05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
No excuses - he got the DVD from the Spanish FA.

woody47
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
HP is am erse amd a yam one at that. Always full of ecxcuses. Why not just admit you are out of your depth. :grr:

The_Todd
05-09-2010, 03:37 PM
No excuses - he got the DVD from the Spanish FA.

So he can keep his yap shut. It was the ref's fault we didn't beat Lithuania. It'll be the Leichtenstein FAs fault if we don't beat them. He's just turned into a greetin' faced SFA stooge.

Scotland have no future with this clown in charge.

Kojock
05-09-2010, 03:42 PM
There was also one of the Scotland coaching staff at the Leichtenstein V Spain game. :confused:

bingo70
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
TBH all this Scotland bashing is pretty boring IMO.

I never wanted Levien as manager but he's here, it's about time everyone dealt with it rather than analysing everything he says and every decision he makes.

He's hardly making excuses, he's pointing out that it's bad craic for them not to send the DVD's when all other countries do it, seems fair enough to me, if it was a popular manager saying the same thing then we'd all be agreeing with him.

The_Todd
05-09-2010, 03:52 PM

I never wanted Levien as manager but he's here, it's about time everyone dealt with it rather than analysing everything he says and every decision he makes.

He's hardly making excuses, he's pointing out that it's bad craic for them not to send the DVD's when all other countries do it, seems fair enough to me, if it was a popular manager saying the same thing then we'd all be agreeing with him.

And I think it's just bad form to publicly badmouth other associations, especially one representing a country with population matching Falkirk. If there's a dispute between the SFA and Leichtenstein then it should be behind closed doors not in the media, especially one this petty. It's embarrasing.

bingo70
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
And I think it's just bad form to publicly badmouth other associations, especially one representing a country with population matching Falkirk. If there's a dispute between the SFA and Leichtenstein then it should be behind closed doors not in the media, especially one this petty. It's embarrasing.

The size of the country is irrelevant.

If you were him would you not be annoyed?

Whether it should be kept behind doors depends on the context of the quote, he might have been asked how much he knew about them and if so why should he do them any favours when they're being awkward? If that was the case and he said he didn't know too much he'd have come across arrogant and disrespectful.

Kojock
05-09-2010, 04:11 PM

TBH all this defending Scotland is pretty boring IMO. I always had respect for Levein as I thought he was his own man who stood and fell by his own decisions. His Scotland team selection has shown that he is another SFA yes man who will pander to the OF.

He had one of his coaching team at the Leichtenstein game, what more does he need. :boo hoo:

bingo70
05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
TBH all this defending Scotland is pretty boring IMO. I always had respect for Levein as I thought he was his own man who stood and fell by his own decisions. His Scotland team selection has shown that he is another SFA yes man who will pander to the OF.

He had one of his coaching team at the Leichtenstein game, what more does he need. :boo hoo:

To see them himself so he can make his own opinion, when it's his job on the line surely you can understand that.

It's not a case of pandering to the old firm, i know it's not what we want to hear but they've got the best players, that's why they normally finish 30 points ahead of the other teams.

I don't agree with all his decisions, i would have prefered Mcfadden and dorrans to have been playing, however i can understand why he wanted to play a more defensive line up, we were away from home in the first game of what is going to be a tight race for second place, a defeat and we were out of it already.

I just see a lot of similarities with Levien and Yogi just now, people don't want him so are analysing and twisting every single interview they give.

The liechtenstein FA are the ones out of order here yet people are queing up to slate Levein, i just don't really understand that.

--------
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM

That would be my view. He had a scout at the game - was he not competent to provide an adequate match-report?

(Of course, if he sent Kenny Black, he probably got lifted by the polis and missed the game....)

Maybe it is 'courtesy' to provide a DVD of your team to the opposition, though I suspect that that falls into he same category as the 'kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is injured' and the 'giving the ball back to the opposition after they've kicked it out of play when one of your players has been injured' - a courtesy, in other words, usually observed when it's to one's own advantage. levein isn't a man I would immediately think of as an authority on 'courtesy' - rather the opposite, in fact.

He was told two days before the game that the Liechtenstein FA wouldn't be supplying a DVD. This presumably was so that he would know to send scouts to the game to run the eye over the Liechtenstein team. That seems fairly 'courteous' to me.

if Levein doesn't have dependable and competent scouts to send, that's his problem. As you say - this outburst is an embarrassment.

Kojock
05-09-2010, 04:32 PM
To see them himself so he can make his own opinion, when it's his job on the line surely you can understand that.

It's not a case of pandering to the old firm, i know it's not what we want to hear but they've got the best players, that's why they normally finish 30 points ahead of the other teams.

I don't agree with all his decisions, i would have prefered Mcfadden and dorrans to have been playing, however i can understand why he wanted to play a more defensive line up, we were away from home in the first game of what is going to be a tight race for second place, a defeat and we were out of it already.

I just see a lot of similarities with Levien and Yogi just now, people don't want him so are analysing and twisting every single interview they give.

The liechtenstein FA are the ones out of order here yet people are queing up to slate Levein, i just don't really understand that.

Whats the point of sending one of his staff to watch the game if he doesnt trust his opinion.

Calling up Davie Weir WTF is that all about.

A more defensive line up. FFS we were playing Lithuania who are more interested in basketball, if we cant be confident against them then god knows how he will be against Spain.

Spain gave hime a video of the game so shut yer whinging puss Levien, we should be able to beat the mighty footballing nation of Liechtenstein blind folded or has Scottish football really got that bad. :confused:

--------
05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Whats the point of sending one of his staff to watch the game if he doesnt trust his opinion.

A more defensive line up. FFS we were playing Lithuania who are more interested in basketball, if we cant be confident against them then god knows how he will be against Spain.

Spain gave hime a video of the game so shut yer whinging puss Levien, we should be able to beat the mighty footballing nation of Liechtenstein blind folded or has Scottish football really got that bad. :confused:

Maybe he had to pay the scout's air-fare out of his own pocket?

Or maybe the scout couldn't spell Liechtenstein and ended up in San Marino?

Mind you - Falkirk lost to Vaduz in the Europa qualifying rounds last year. Maybe he's really worried.

bingo70
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM

He sent one of his staff to give him an opinion on them, no substitute for seeing them yourself, if i was in Leveins shoes i'd want to see them myself as well. The fact that he got the video from Spain is neither here nor there, the point is that Liechtenstein should be sending the footage as apparently that's the done thing between Nations.

He called up Davie Weir because he's the best we've got unfortunately, did you see the state of our defence against Sweden without him? The fact he's 40 highlights the state of Scottish football but thats not Leveins doing.

Your opinion on Lithuania pretty much sums up the arrogant nature in Scottish football thats been holding us back, Easter european teams have been getting better and better while we're getting worse and worse all the time.

He'll be defensive against Spain as well, you'd have to be crazy not to although i'm sure he'll get slated after that as well.

Future17
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM

:topmarks:

That would be my view. He had a scout at the game - was he not competent to provide an adequate match-report?

(Of course, if he sent Kenny Black, he probably got lifted by the polis and missed the game....)

Maybe it is 'courtesy' to provide a DVD of your team to the opposition, though I suspect that that falls into he same category as the 'kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is injured' and the 'giving the ball back to the opposition after they've kicked it out of play when one of your players has been injured' - a courtesy, in other words, usually observed when it's to one's own advantage. levein isn't a man I would immediately think of as an authority on 'courtesy' - rather the opposite, in fact.

He was told two days before the game that the Liechtenstein FA wouldn't be supplying a DVD. This presumably was so that he would know to send scouts to the game to run the eye over the Liechtenstein team. That seems fairly 'courteous' to me.

if Levein doesn't have dependable and competent scouts to send, that's his problem. As you say - this outburst is an embarrassment.

It's hardly an "outburst" or "an embarrassment".

Sending scouts and getting a verbal report is one thing, but having a DVD of a match is much more advantageous. You can tell players how a team is organised at set-pieces, how they set-up in numbers when they don't have the ball and how their left-back might be a weakness, but showing them that is more likely to stay in the players' memories for longer.

If we lost, or even just didn't win, against Liechenstein and it emerged later than Levein had missed an opportunity to scout the opposition when a DVD was available, half the folk on here would be calling him a disgrace for not doing his job to the degree that he should be.

Why shouldn't he say that another country's FA didn't have the courtesy to provide a DVD? Because they're only a wee country and we should give them a chance?

The way I see it, all the supporters (on DotNet and beyond) who have an Old Firm inferiority complex which is manifested by a constant need to snipe at Rangers and Celtic no matter what the subject, loved it when Smith and McLeish were in charge so they could blame the SFA's Old Firm ****-licking policy for any perceived failures of the national team. All we heard from these people was how the SFA should look beyond the Old Firm old boys club and appoint a manager with no Old Firm ties.

So we appointed George Burley - then jumped on his back almost straight away.

Now we've got Craig Levein - the accusation is what? After 3 games (1 competitive) in charge, he has displayed Old Firm bias???

His team against the Czech Republic (with then Old Firm players in bold) was:
Gordon, Hutton, Caldwell, Webster, Wallace, Dorrans, Darren Fletcher, Brown, Thomson, Robson, Miller. Subs: Marshall, Alexander, Iwelumo, Boyd, Kenneth, Whittaker, Adam, Hartley, Berra, Dixon.

Against Sweden:
McGregor, Broadfoot, Kenneth, Berra, Wallace, Robson, Darren Fletcher, Thomson, Adam, McFadden, Steven Fletcher. Subs: Alexander, Whittaker, Miller, Iwelumo, Boyd, Robertson, Morrison, McManus, Turner.

Against Lithuania:
McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, Darren Fletcher, McCulloch, Brown, Robson, Miller, Naismith. Subs: Marshall, Berra, Boyd, McFadden, Hartley, Morrison, Dorrans.

So, in the 3 squads, we've had a maximum of 7 Old Firm players - is that really an indication of bias?

Kojock
05-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Your opinion on Lithuania pretty much sums up the arrogant nature in Scottish football thats been holding us back, Easter european teams have been getting better and better while we're getting worse and worse all the time.

I was in Lithuania when Hibs played FK Vetra, I managed to get into the dressing rooms and the facilities were shocking, I changed in better dressing rooms playing Sunday pub football.

Why has Scotland fallen so far behind the top nations, it wasnt that long ago that every top English team had a backbone of Scottish footballers.

We have state of the art facilities in Scotland yet we are rapidly falling behind nations that can only be described as footballing minnows where facilities are way behind ours.

Why is that ??? :confused:

bingo70
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=bingo70;2568760] Your opinion on Lithuania pretty much sums up the arrogant nature in Scottish football thats been holding us back, Easter european teams have been getting better and better while we're getting worse and worse all the time.[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] I was in Lithuania when Hibs played FK Vetra, I managed to get into the dressing rooms and the facilities were shocking, I changed in better dressing rooms playing Sunday pub football.

Why has Scotland fallen so far behind the top nations, it wasnt that long ago that every top English team had a backbone of Scottish footballers.

We have state of the art facilities in Scotland yet we are rapidly falling behind nations that can only be described as footballing minnows where facilities are way behind ours.

Why is that ??? :confused:

Good question, as you rightly point out though, it's not about throwing money at the problem.

I think our facilities are as good as anywhere so i can only pressume it's the way we educate our young players.

I could listen to John Collins talk about how best to improve the standard of our game all day long, unfortunately the SFA don't appear so keen.

I know we've gone off topic here but i think there's many many things wrong with Scottish football but i don't think Craig Levein should be taking the blame for any of them.

Kojock
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
unfortunately the SFA don't appear so keen.

And thereby hangs the problem.

As for Craig Levein as the saying goes "You can only urinate with the willie you have" however I dont agree with his his formations or tactics. :wink:

woodythehibee
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
To not support the national team because of anything to do with the old firm is a strange one IMO.

They are the two top teams in the country and their players regularly playin in Europe which is going to give them an advantage over players from other Scottish clubs.

Do the Spanish fans complain when their world cup winning side was mostly made up of Madrid and Barca players?

euro Hibby
05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
difference is that Spain won the world cup so nobody is goint to complain.
The Old firm have always been the spine of the Scotland senior team as you generally needed to move there to get a cap. Today half the team is foreign so the experience factor is less than it ever was. Maybe would be better if more of our players could get abroad for a wider football education .

bingo70
05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
difference is that Spain won the world cup so nobody is goint to complain.
The Old firm have always been the spine of the Scotland senior team as you generally needed to move there to get a cap. Today half the team is foreign so the experience factor is less than it ever was. Maybe would be better if more of our players could get abroad for a wider football education .

World champions or no i can guarantee folk wil be complaining when we get beat.

You don't need to move to the old firm to get a cap, they just have the best players and buy the best players in the league.

Agree about players moving abroad for the football education though, amazes me that more footballers don't try it.

euro Hibby
05-09-2010, 07:08 PM
but it helps !

iwasthere1972
05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
In the interview that Peter Houston gave on SSN this morning I'm pretty sure he said the management and the team were watching a DVD of the Lichenstein v Spain match.

:confused:

bingo70
05-09-2010, 07:58 PM
In the interview that Peter Houston gave on SSN this morning I'm pretty sure he said the management and the team were watching a DVD of the Lichenstein v Spain match.

:confused:

We had to get a copy from Spain because Liechtenstein wouldn't give us a copy.

iwasthere1972
05-09-2010, 08:06 PM
We had to get a copy from Spain because Liechtenstein wouldn't give us a copy.

Thanks. I didn't read all the posts.

So we've got a DVD. Can't see what all the commotion is then. After all it's only Liechenstein. :cool2:

If we can't beat a team ranked 141st (two places above the Maldives) in the world without the aid of DVD footage then we don't deserve to even be in the group stages.

Bring back Pa Broon.

bingo70
05-09-2010, 08:11 PM

So we've got a DVD. Can't see what all the commotion is then. After all it's only Liechenstein. :cool2:

If we can't beat a team ranked 141st (two places above the Maldives) in the world without the aid of DVD footage then we don't deserve to even be in the group stages.

Bring back Pa Broon.

Your sort of arguing Leveins case here, we've got the DVD so the issue isn't about Levein getting to see them play, the issue is about the lack of sportsmanship from the Liechtenstein FA, thats whats out of order, also the fact we've now seen them play shows that he isn't using it as an excuse like the OP is suggesting.

iwasthere1972
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Your sort of arguing Leveins case here, we've got the DVD so the issue isn't about Levein getting to see them play, the issue is about the lack of sportsmanship from the Liechtenstein FA, thats whats out of order, also the fact we've now seen them play shows that he isn't using it as an excuse like the OP is suggesting.

Apologies. So the gripe is the fact that the Liechtenstein FA didn't forward a copy of the DVD to us.

Is it down to the SFA to organise coach travel between the Leichtenstein hotel base and Hampden for training. If it is I would recommend they use the same coach driver that ferried the Maribor team to Easter Road.

--------
05-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Bring back Pa Broon.

Can't see it either.

Would have been far better to have said nothing at all. Just comes over as the soor-faced plook he is.

But I wouldn't go as far as reinstating Broon.

ekhibee
05-09-2010, 10:02 PM

The OF are the best teams in the league, but whether they both have the best SCOTTISH players is very debatable, and probably why Levein comes in for so much criticism, considering how much he was critical of the footballing authorities before he got the Scotland job. If he keeps on coming out with comments like 'I want the best players playing for Scotland' and then deliberatley leaves out one of the most prolific scorers in Scottish football, who's improved his all round game, and plays a Rangers player that's hardly touched a ball in 2 seasons, then don't you think it's merited that his remarks are called in to question?

Hibbie_Cameron
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Agreed.

Davy Mac
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Maybe this will help Harry Potter, worth a go....:greengrin

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5122GXVCABL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Steve-O
06-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't think he needs a dvd to know Liechenstein are utter pish and if we don't comfortably take 3 points off them and a few goals he can GTF.

bighairyfaeleith
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
World champions or no i can guarantee folk wil be complaining when we get beat.

You don't need to move to the old firm to get a cap, they just have the best players and buy the best players in the league.

Agree about players moving abroad for the football education though, amazes me that more footballers don't try it.

Not sure I agree with that, players at the old firm have always been given preferential treatment, because people assume that because they play for the old firm they must be better than someone who plays for hibs.

Not saying it is a conscious decision, but it does happen. There can be no other justification for the continual picking of OF players who constantly fail to perform, and frequently fail to even turn up for scotland!

And yes I will complain when we get beat, you should always complain when you get beat, as getting beat is not good enough. I would only accept getting beat if potter had said that this campaign was going to be spent bleeding young hungry players in and hopefully by the next world cup campaign the squad would be ready to compete properly. But he hasn't, he has chosen to pick past it players to try and squeeze a qualification, if he fails then he deserves to take responsibility for that decision.