PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown - the rise and fall of

Green&White
05-09-2010, 12:07 PM
i remember when he was at hibs. what a player he WAS! he had flair, passion, skill, composure, even tho his temperament let him down at times it added to who he was. a character of a player that you could just see loved playing.

now look at him.

Ever since he went down the m8 he has been a million miles away from the player he was at hibs. ive seen him a good few times for sellick and he has looked avarage at very best and supposed to be playing with "better" players

watching him in the scotland game on friday night got me thinking as to why!

why has he became this mediocre player? who doesnt look like he is enjoying playing anymore.

is it the money going 2 his head? being played out of position? wrong coaches at sellick (strachan for example).

normally i wuldnt be bothered about it. but he is one of the very few players that crossed over to the darkside and i still respected.
i had him pegged as a potentially world class player that would go on to be scotlands best for many a year.
unfortunatly at this point he is letting himself and everyone else down.
:confused:

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
He's been turned into a holding midfielder, from an attacking one. He's also bulked up and seems to have put an emphasis on tackling anything that moves, and giving it square or backwards, rather than winning the ball and driving forward. Who's fault, no idea?

marinello59
05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
The person to blame for Scott Brown failing to fully develop his potential is Scott Brown. He needed to play against better players on a regular basis to improve but instead of heading South he headed West. Big fish in a small pond syndrome again IMHO.

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 01:08 PM
The person to blame for Scott Brown failing to fully develop his potential is Scott Brown. He needed to play against better players on a regular basis to improve but instead of heading South he headed West. Big fish in a small pond syndrome again IMHO.

You could be right, i thought he'd do a year maybe two at Celtic, then move to a big English club. Now he will probably go to Birmingham or West ham. Whatever he does he should do it now and try and rediscover what made him the most exciting player to come through the Hibs youth system in a long time.

heretoday
05-09-2010, 01:16 PM
He's a bit of a hotheid.

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 01:22 PM
It happens to every player that crosses over to the darkside.

They really do sell their soul.

Same will happen with Stokes, just wait and see. :agree:

Toaods
05-09-2010, 01:34 PM

:agree:

I loved watching Broonie coming through as he had the desire all of us watching, skill less, 95% wish we all had, notwithstanding the fact he was playing for the Hibees.

In sport, the saying most top line stars will express in some shape or form is to never stop testing yourself. Keep raising the bar, etc... Going to Celtic did not really follow that line.

Look at Fletcher, was not the finished article by any manner of means but without doubt a far better player now than then.

I'm sure Broonie will recapture that mising spark at some point and plain the Premiership but can't see it being with one of the big hitters.

GloryGlory
05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

:agree: IIRC, he had alternative offers to go to the EPL at the time of his move. Knocked them back to take the quick bucks on offer from Celtc. A move to a more competitive league down South would have made him a better player and got him a move to an even bigger club in the EPL.

When his contract is up at Darkheid, I wonder if he will find anyone to give him the same wages that he gets now? IMO, he'll be lucky to get offers from CCC clubs, never mind the EPL.

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 01:41 PM
:agree: IIRC, he had alternative offers to go to the EPL at the time of his move. Knocked them back to take the quick bucks on offer from Celtc. A move to a more competitive league down South would have made him a better player and got him a move to an even bigger club in the EPL.

When his contract is up at Darkheid, I wonder if he will find anyone to give him the same wages that he gets now? IMO, he'll be lucky to get offers from CCC clubs, never mind the EPL.

He will have no problem picking up the same type of wages in England. Ask Gary Caldwell.

3pm
05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Overrated.

Since90+2
05-09-2010, 01:49 PM

The only other club who Hibs had agreed a fee with was Reading (who I think were an EPL club at the time).

snooky
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Scott Brown, I thought, would be one of the best ever players to come through the ranks at ER. I had visions of him eventually taking over the Paul Scholes role at Man U. Alas, his career momentum seems to have stalled (you could even say, gone backwards) since his move to Celtic.
IMHO, he should get out quick and seek a move that will get his enthusiasm and hunger back.
I hate to see him drift away in the doldrums at Parkhead.

nickwhibs
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't think you can completely blame the SPL for his lack of development. How come he was such a better player when he was at Hibs?! I think it's more the fact that coaches have tried to mould him into something he's not. It's a thing that's very apparent in the modern game. They need to be a certain type of midfielder. Why not just a midfielder? He should be concentrating on just playing football and expressing himself rather than conforming to a set position or way of playing that he's been told to. In Eddie Turnbull's book he talked about this. He told that he watched some youngsters playing football in the park and asked one of them what position he way playing and he said: 'a holding midfielder'. To which Eddie replied: 'What are you holding?'. Maybe I'm just an idealist...

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't think you can completely blame the SPL for his lack of development. How come he was such a better player when he was at Hibs?! I think it's more the fact that coaches have tried to mould him into something he's not. It's a thing that's very apparent in the modern game. They need to be a certain type of midfielder. Why not just a midfielder? He should be concentrating on just playing football and expressing himself rather than conforming to a set position or way of playing that he's been told to. In Eddie Turnbull's book he talked about this. He told that he watched some youngsters playing football in the park and asked one of them what position he was playing and he said: 'a holding midfielder'. To which Eddie replied: 'What are you holding?'. Maybe I'm just an idealist...

:top marks

Hibs On Tour
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
The only other club who Hibs had agreed a fee with was Reading (who I think were an EPL club at the time).

Correct. And that bid only came in/got accepted and SB got the call about it as he was pulling into the carpark at Darkheid pretty much already having made his mind up to go there. I think its fair to say that if any of the big-hitters in the EPL had made bids that were accepted before then, that things may have panned out differently. SB felt that Reading wasn't going to change his view as if they got relegated straight away he felt he'd get lost in the Championship and get forgotten. Rightly or wrongly, but that's how he saw it.

I too thought he'd be at Celtic a season or two before heading to the EPL at a profit to them. Just shows. If you buy a player because he's great in a certain position/role, how about a bit of common sense and actually play him in that position/role?

Won't now become the player he could have been IMHO. Settled for mediocrity for too long now and been paid too much to really have that hunger to right those wrongs it seems. Hope I'm wrong though. Seemed like a genuine enough guy when I met him, although he's clearly made some ropey decisions along the way in various forms...

Albion Hibs
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
would agree with the posts above the celts having him playing in a totally different role, and have done since he moved through. This has to be the biggest factor in holding back what could have been a great player.

Constantly get guys at my work actually complaining that they paid so much for him - have to remind them we dont sell with a guarantee, and more to the point we dont care if he plays well for them - thanks for our training centre though!

Future17
05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
A midfielder is a midfielder. The various prefixes that are used "attacking", "holding", "creative" etc. are used to describe the responsibilities of the position, not the position itself.

The_Todd
05-09-2010, 02:24 PM
would agree with the posts above the celts having him playing in a totally different role, and have done since he moved through. This has to be the biggest factor in holding back what could have been a great player.

Constantly get guys at my work actually complaining that they paid so much for him - have to remind them we dont sell with a guarantee, and more to the point we dont care if he plays well for them - thanks for our training centre though!

I get this too. Can't stand it.

If you buy a nice car from a dealership, you don't then go and complain to the dealer when your car looks like **** when you've added a bodykit, stupid fat exhaust and a spoiler. What you do to your purchase after you've paid for it is your own fault.

Gorgon Strapon ruined Broonaldo and Tony Mowbray didn't exactly reverse the situation when he took over.

nickwhibs
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
A midfielder is a midfielder. The various prefixes that are used "attacking", "holding", "creative" etc. are used to describe the responsibilities of the position, not the position itself.

Exactly. When you're too busy worrying about whether you should be 'holding' or 'creating' it means you're less effective at the other things. Ok I understand that there should be some who are more defensive and some who are more attacking but I hate all this emphasis on exact roles and tactics. Just play football!

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 02:31 PM

I believe the problem lies with players being molded far too much into these separate sub types.

Scott Brown was an attacking/creative midfielder who has been virtually converted into a holding midfielder.

If he could have added "holding" responsibilities into his game, while maintaining his natural (attacking/creative) skills, he'd be a cracking all round player now.

But because he has been molded into an almost completely holding midfielder, he can no longer play with natural ability.

Its a shame really, as he could have been so much more.

David@EasterRoad
05-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Scott brown isn't a very good passer and he doesn't score enough goals, a premiersip attacking midfielder needs these qualities. He has lots going for him though and could still make it down there if he leaves Celtic soon. Playing abroad would probably be his best move, did lambert and Collins no harm.

Part/Time Supporter
05-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Scott brown isn't a very good passer and he doesn't score enough goals, a premiersip attacking midfielder needs these qualities. He has lots going for him though and could still make it down there if he leaves Celtic soon. Playing abroad would probably be his best move, did lambert and Collins no harm.

Brown doesn't have anywhere near the technical ability needed to prosper in a continental league.

Hibs sold at the perfect time.

500miles
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Celtic bought Brown because they wanted Neil Lennon. Turning a Scott Brown into a Neil Lennon is a terrible waste of a player.

Part/Time Supporter
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Celtic bought Brown because they wanted Neil Lennon. Turning a Scott Brown into a Neil Lennon is a terrible waste of a player.

Not to mention that Brown is barely adequate at the aspects of the game that Lennon was good at.

Wull
05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
was he subbed agains Luth. as i cannt think of seeing him in second half. Mind you the only thing I can remember him doin was a fresh air shot on the 6 yard line:grr: Oh an gettin booked:rolleyes:

M11BMO
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Waste of a player who had the potential to play at the highest level... With an EPL side.

Jones28
05-09-2010, 06:27 PM
He's been turned into a holding midfielder, from an attacking one. He's also bulked up and seems to have put an emphasis on tackling anything that moves, and giving it square or backwards, rather than winning the ball and driving forward. Who's fault, no idea?

:agree:
Look at steven fletcher, 5 times the player he was since he moved to Burnley

The Silver Fox
05-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I syill think either Scott Brown will light up Parkhead or will move to another team and shine. He has that wee bit extra about him but he has had some bad luck in his personal life and also suffered a degree of bad luck regarding injuries. I understand his ankle is injured at the moment. He is a 100% type of player and when he is fully fit and plays in a roving role he will be a player again.

McD
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I always thought he had the potential to become a similar kind of player to Steven Gerrard. When Gerrard broke into Liverpools team he didn't score very often, but had bags of energy, could run all day, liked a tackle, great enthusiasm for playing, and no little skill, all of which is also a good description of the young Brown. However it took a few seasons for that skill to become honed to a higher level, combined with coaches who wanted to see him nurtured and improved, and also training and working with a high calibre of player. Unfortunately for Hibs and Brown, that same environment that was at Hibs and most likely would have been there down south (where I cant imagine an EPL team would take a player like that and try to completely change him), he went to the dark side, where he got big money, but lost the chance to become a player who could have made a massive impact down in England, and probably for Scotland as well.

I remember watching him playing for Scotland away to Italy, away to France, etc, where he was holding his own against some big names in world football, looking fearless and gallus where many have been intimidated. Now, he looks like a player who's had it drummed into him to play by numbers - tackle, square ba', drop back, take pass, square ba'.

New Corrie
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
It's not really that complex, Scott Brown kicks with the wrong foot for them, he's not "celtic minded", he made the wrong move, wish he would come back, Smellsick are geared up for the Stokes/Lennon's of this world, (rancid you know whats) not Scott Bown, Just glad he's managed to extract copious monies out of the "enemies of the state".

Shrekko
05-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I always thought he had the potential to become a similar kind of player to Steven Gerrard. When Gerrard broke into Liverpools team he didn't score very often, but had bags of energy, could run all day, liked a tackle, great enthusiasm for playing, and no little skill, all of which is also a good description of the young Brown. However it took a few seasons for that skill to become honed to a higher level, combined with coaches who wanted to see him nurtured and improved, and also training and working with a high calibre of player. Unfortunately for Hibs and Brown, that same environment that was at Hibs and most likely would have been there down south (where I cant imagine an EPL team would take a player like that and try to completely change him), he went to the dark side, where he got big money, but lost the chance to become a player who could have made a massive impact down in England, and probably for Scotland as well.

I remember watching him playing for Scotland away to Italy, away to France, etc, where he was holding his own against some big names in world football, looking fearless and gallus where many have been intimidated. Now, he looks like a player who's had it drummed into him to play by numbers - tackle, square ba', drop back, take pass, square ba'.

I think this post kind of sums up why some Hibs fans think Broony isn't the player he might have been- it's because they rated him as a much better player than he actually was at Hibs. He kind of got away with murder at ER due to his hero status and a lot of folk seem to have forgotten how frustrating a player he could be. Anyone who describes him as 'creative' for instance definitely saw a different player to me.

His main attributes were his strength, speed, ability to get around the park and close control, his weaknesses were his passing, decision making, temprement and lack of goals- what has really changed? All this stuff about his brilliance being stifled is ridiculous- the square passing etc., is hardly surprising as he's not capable of the incisive stuff.

Good but over-rated- always said the the same thing.

hibsbollah
05-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think you can completely blame the SPL for his lack of development. How come he was such a better player when he was at Hibs?! I think it's more the fact that coaches have tried to mould him into something he's not. It's a thing that's very apparent in the modern game. They need to be a certain type of midfielder. Why not just a midfielder? He should be concentrating on just playing football and expressing himself rather than conforming to a set position or way of playing that he's been told to. In Eddie Turnbull's book he talked about this. He told that he watched some youngsters playing football in the park and asked one of them what position he way playing and he said: 'a holding midfielder'. To which Eddie replied: 'What are you holding?'. Maybe I'm just an idealist...

Great post:top marks

Iain G
05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Brown was at his best for us when given license to get the ball and run at people and burst forward with great energy, that seems to have been drained out of him with teh way Celtic play, by all means deploy a "holding" midfielder but not Scott Brown.

Always though he had the makings of a quality wing back kind of role, bombing forward and supplementing the attack whenever possible, he had the engine to keep running all day, shame really that he hasn't moved forward.

3pm
05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Rich H - spot on.

mim
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I still think either Scott Brown will light up Parkhead or will move to another team and shine. He has that wee bit extra about him but he has had some bad luck in his personal life and also suffered a degree of bad luck regarding injuries. I understand his ankle is injured at the moment. He is a 100% type of player and when he is fully fit and plays in a roving role he will be a player again.

Agreed. :agree:
Most of the comments on this thread have simply ignored Brown's injury problems.
He has spent a lot of time during the last two years carrying a bad ankle injury.
Several visits to a Harley Street specialist and more than one operation.

There is no guarantee that he will ever recover full fitness, but, for Scotland's sake, I hope he does - he was a class act and may be again.

crewetollhibee
05-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Cant help thinking that if Hibs' Forums were in existence back in the early nineties, then this thread could have been duplicated in reference to Pat McGinlay. Great player at ER, moved through to Celtic, played out of position, and was never quite the same player again.

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Brown was at his best for us when given license to get the ball and run at people and burst forward with great energy, that seems to have been drained out of him with teh way Celtic play, by all means deploy a "holding" midfielder but not Scott Brown.

Always though he had the makings of a quality wing back kind of role, bombing forward and supplementing the attack whenever possible, he had the engine to keep running all day, shame really that he hasn't moved forward.

:agree: The Scottish Frank Ribery (sp) But now the less than average Neil Lennon. A real shame.

Steve-O
06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
He's pish...wouldnae take him back for free!

jacomo
06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Most of the comments on this thread have simply ignored Brown's injury problems.
He has spent a lot of time during the last two years carrying a bad ankle injury.

There is no guarantee that he will ever recover full fitness, but, for Scotland's sake, I hope he does - he was a class act and may be again.

Good point.

Brown's international debut, away against Italy, for me proved that he was a player of immense potential. But he's been in far from prime condition and Celtic has been the wrong move for him.

I'd like to see him go down South - won't WGS take him to Boro? :wink:

Loopz
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Good point.

Brown's international debut, away against Italy, for me proved that he was a player of immense potential. But he's been in far from prime condition and Celtic has been the wrong move for him.

I'd like to see him go down South - won't WGS take him to Boro? :wink:
If Kevin Thomson was integral to S.B being such a good player at Hibs, this might not be a bad idea.

JackRegan
07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I have to admit that in his 3 seasons at Celtic, bar a few flashes, Scott Brown has been a huge let down. Regadless of where he is played, I expect players to be able to do the basics and for a long time Scott Brown has not been able to demonstarte an ability to pass to a team mate, retain possession or pick a pass, let alone carry a goal threat.

However....For two years he played under Gordon Strachan, a man with an uncanny ability to "sterilise" any midfielder. At this time, in Brown's defence, he had to contend with injuries and the death of his young sister.

We came to this season and it was very much Jury Outtime, with the patience of the support wearing very very thin regards Scott Brown, but as it happens (Utrecht away aside) he has been superb for us this season, pulling the strings in midfield and bossing the game and creating chances galore at two venues where we struggle to create much at. IMO, Neil Lennon is getting the player out of Scott Brown again. :agree:

While I'm on, I'd like to respond to the guy who posted about Pat McGinley, Pat was a very limited footballer who did a good job in one of the poorest Celtic sides (93/94) in living memory, there's nothing more to it than that. Oh aye and his Mrs was a nutter.

Auckland Hibs
07-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I have to admit that in his 3 seasons at Celtic, bar a few flashes, Scott Brown has been a huge let down. Regadless of where he is played, I expect players to be able to do the basics and for a long time Scott Brown has not been able to demonstarte an ability to pass to a team mate, retain possession or pick a pass, let alone carry a goal threat.

However....For two years he played under Gordon Strachan, a man with an uncanny ability to "sterilise" any midfielder. At this time, in Brown's defence, he had to contend with injuries and the death of his young sister.

We came to this season and it was very much Jury Outtime, with the patience of the support wearing very very thin regards Scott Brown, but as it happens (Utrecht away aside) he has been superb for us this season, pulling the strings in midfield and bossing the game and creating chances galore at two venues where we struggle to create much at. IMO, Neil Lennon is getting the player out of Scott Brown again. :agree:

While I'm on, I'd like to respond to the guy who posted about Pat McGinley, Pat was a very limited footballer who did a good job in one of the poorest Celtic sides (93/94) in living memory, there's nothing more to it than that. Oh aye and his Mrs was a nutter.

No.

Frazerbob
07-09-2010, 08:04 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Pat McGinlay ended up top scorer (from midfield) in a shocking Celtc team the season they played at Hampden. Hardly a failure!

JackRegan
07-09-2010, 08:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Pat McGinlay ended up top scorer (from midfield) in a shocking Celtc team the season they played at Hampden. Hardly a failure!

He did indeed (it was actually teh season befor eHampden, he left in September 94 in the Hampden season), but accoridng to a poster on here, he was a failure and we ruined him.

Pat left Celtic for reaons that had nothing to do with his on field performances. :greengrin

His Missus shouting and bawling at Fergus McCann, him and his missus' rammy with Tommy Burns(on the hampden pitch no less!) to name but two instances. :greengrin

keep the faith
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I clearly remember reading an interview with brown a year or 2 back when he talked of strachan making him into a "better" player by teaching him what not to do. When not to run, when not to pass etc.
I could not believe it. He buys a one off and tries to make him a one of many. Tragic and no wonder this country can't produce gifted players.
He was a force of nature with us and is nothing more than a good tidy player now. Well done wgp!

JackRegan
07-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I clearly remember reading an interview with brown a year or 2 back when he talked of strachan making him into a "better" player by teaching him what not to do. When not to run, when not to pass etc.
I could not believe it. He buys a one off and tries to make him a one of many. Tragic and no wonder this country can't produce gifted players.
He was a force of nature with us and is nothing more than a good tidy player now. Well done wgp!

We have a saying...he was "Strachanised" :greengrin

Seeing the player now though. :agree:

3pm
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
We have a saying...he was "Strachanised" :greengrin

Seeing the player now though. :agree:

How is that? I could be wrong but he didn't strike me as great when he played against Caley and Motherwell in the bits that I caught. Not saying he was bad but not outstanding.

Stevie Reid
07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I had visions of him eventually taking over the Paul Scholes role at Man U

I always thought he had the potential to become a similar kind of player to Steven Gerrard

Come on guys. I too thought that Scott Brown would make it to the top of the game but he was never ever gonna be like these guys, who are a different level entirely - SB could never strike a ball and score as many as these guys in a million years, never mind anything else.

If we're gonna compare him to players of that level, I always thought/hoped he could turn into a Scottish Roy Keane - technical finesse was never Keane's forte, but the influence he could have on a game through work rate, desire, determination, aggression, energy and a few important goals, was unbelievable. Alas, Brown is now a hugely different player to the one who left ER.

JackRegan
07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
How is that? I could be wrong but he didn't strike me as great when he played against Caley and Motherwell in the bits that I caught. Not saying he was bad but not outstanding.

We created loads of chances and did not concede and Scott Brown was at the heart of everything, linking up with Maloney and he never wasted a ball at anytime.

I was a big critic of him BTW.

Ernie Cobra
07-09-2010, 08:02 PM
It's not really that complex, Scott Brown kicks with the wrong foot for them, he's not "celtic minded", he made the wrong move, wish he would come back, Smellsick are geared up for the Stokes/Lennon's of this world, (rancid you know whats) not Scott Bown, Just glad he's managed to extract copious monies out of the "enemies of the state".

I'll get straight to the point...... i think you are a complete and utter :asshole: and you if your not a jambo you ought to be.

That will be all!

EasterRoad4Ever
07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Scott Brown = as good an example as any of a player making the Wrong (and easy) choice of going west when he should have gone south. The man is HALF yhe player he was at Hibs.

we got the bast years out of Scott Brown :agree:

Sprouleflyer
07-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Tonight we watched Scott Brown turn into Brian Kerr............................what a waste!!!

Jim44
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Scott Brown is a waste of space these days.

1875 NO 1
08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I think this post kind of sums up why some Hibs fans think Broony isn't the player he might have been- it's because they rated him as a much better player than he actually was at Hibs. He kind of got away with murder at ER due to his hero status and a lot of folk seem to have forgotten how frustrating a player he could be. Anyone who describes him as 'creative' for instance definitely saw a different player to me.

His main attributes were his strength, speed, ability to get around the park and close control, his weaknesses were his passing, decision making, temprement and lack of goals- what has really changed? All this stuff about his brilliance being stifled is ridiculous- the square passing etc., is hardly surprising as he's not capable of the incisive stuff.

Good but over-rated- always said the the same thing.

Top post.

Scott Brown himself thinks he is a midfield general, dictating the pace of the game etc. He hasn't got that in his locker. He has no end product to his game.

His range of passing is poor.

He has many other qualities, hard working, driving at teams, getting in peoples faces and committing tackles but doesn't do that now. A young Scott Brown played right wing when he broke into the team and was going past fullbacks for fun.

These days are long gone.

Can't believe we got £4.5m for Broony.

greenginger
08-09-2010, 07:44 AM

If that is the case its pretty ironic that the damage was done to one of their most expensive signings by one of their own thugs ------ Alan Thomson.

crewetollhibee
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
He did indeed (it was actually teh season befor eHampden, he left in September 94 in the Hampden season), but accoridng to a poster on here, he was a failure and we ruined him.

Pat left Celtic for reaons that had nothing to do with his on field performances. :greengrin

His Missus shouting and bawling at Fergus McCann, him and his missus' rammy with Tommy Burns(on the hampden pitch no less!) to name but two instances. :greengrin
Sorry Jack, I never said he was a failure or that Celtic ruined him. I said he was played out of position (fact), and that he was never quite the same player again (fact - speak to any Hibby around at the time he returned to ER) .

3pm
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Sorry Jack, I never said he was a failure or that Celtic ruined him. I said he was played out of position (fact), and that he was never quite the same player again (fact - speak to any Hibby around at the time he returned to ER) .

I actually thought he was terrible when he returned. A shadow of the player first time around.

jdships
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM

:top marks agree totally
Many years ago I spent a day in the company of the late Alastair McLeod ( Scotland Manager) and he maintained that players " .......are in danger of having their natural ability coached out of them by "control freaks". Young players will learn as they go along , why turn them into robots? They need to be encouraged to express themselves and use their god given talent Why curtail them "

Wise words ,methinks, which I wrote down at the time but have never had an opportunity to use them :greengrin
This is surely a valid take on the present siruation with many young players in this country

:confused: