PDA

View Full Version : Riordan for captain!!

MrHibs1982
05-09-2010, 06:14 AM
I am normally old school when it comes to captains, i usually like a big centre half or the holding midfielder to be captain but i think there can be some exceptions made and i think this is a great example of one of them.

There are so many positive reason for this, riordan is a hibs man and all the fans want him here for life, the board/manager should be wanting him signed up, he has improved his work rate and he is our talisman. He has started working harder and improved and this if anything can only help him find a little extra in the tank.

From yogi it says, "your doing great your important to the team and it i understand your out of position but that is because you are so good i do it and with stokesy leaving you will get a wee bit extra more time up front and i will bring the young lad galbraith into LM from time to time".

I know we have brought in 4 defenders in the transfer window and we have kept bamba who could be a candidate for captaincy but he will still leave in a years time so it wont keep him here. making riordan captain and top earner (there or there abouts) will keep him at the club for the next few years if not life !!! :thumbsup:

Libby Hibby
05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Is it not a fundamental need for a captain and a manager to be in converse with each other? I've heard that both Riordon and Murray have fallen out with Yogi for comments said in the paisley dressing room after the game last week...happy to be corrected of course

M11BMO
05-09-2010, 07:27 AM
I've heard similar...

Beefster
05-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Riordan is many things but a calming influence/motivator/tower of strength aren't some of them.

Like it or not, he's not captain material.

MrHibs1982
05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Riordan is many things but a calming influence/motivator/tower of strength aren't some of them.

Like it or not, he's not captain material.

Neither is Hogg so clearly those aren't the qualities Hibs look for when appointing a captain!!!!!
I agree he is not typical captain material but I was thinking it could have a lot of other positives to it, including riordan signing a new contract.

If not who would you pick as your captain??

Beefster
05-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Neither is Hogg so clearly those aren't the qualities Hibs look for when appointing a captain!!!!!
I agree he is not typical captain material but I was thinking it could have a lot of other positives to it, including riordan signing a new contract.

Money is going to make Riordan sign a new contract, not being made captain.

I would give the gig to Bamba, Murray or Miller.

Alex Trager
05-09-2010, 08:09 AM

i would put big bamba as a captain

MrHibs1982
05-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Guess your right, i just thought something extra could boost him!!
Out of the 3 you said i would only agree with miller, murray i dont think will be guaranteed a game every week and bamba is only here for another year max altho he will play every week and could he maybe stay longer if he had a major role at the club?!?!

Jack
05-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Strikers are selfish greedy players by nature who stand about on the half way line when the team is on the rack. Add to that Deeks on pitch body language; hands on hips, moaning at folk doesn't match with whats required of a captain.
Deeks is good at what he does, I think he should be left to get on with it.
Its been a long time since we've had a decent club captain and I cant see anyone out there on the pitch who would fill the role.
I had hopes that Edwin might show some leadership qualities but it seems he's taking longer to settle than I thought.
Bamba is supposed to be a disruptive type in the changing room so thats him out.
Liam Miller s(c)hould make a greta captain but I dont think he wants it - just my gut feeling.

offshorehibby
05-09-2010, 08:15 AM
I'd prefer Bamba, Miller or if De Graff plays to his potential then he could be possible.

J-C
05-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Was Riordan not made captain a couple of times during pre season ?

Sas_The_Hibby
05-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Strikers are selfish greedy players by nature who stand about on the half way line when the team is on the rack. Add to that Deeks on pitch body language; hands on hips, moaning at folk doesn't match with whats required of a captain.
Deeks is good at what he does, I think he should be left to get on with it.
Its been a long time since we've had a decent club captain and I cant see anyone out there on the pitch who would fill the role.
I had hopes that Edwin might show some leadership qualities but it seems he's taking longer to settle than I thought.
Bamba is supposed to be a disruptive type in the changing room so thats him out.
Liam Miller s(c)hould make a greta captain but I dont think he wants it - just my gut feeling.

Did Greta not go bust and out of the SPL a couple of seasons back? :greengrin

tooley
05-09-2010, 10:06 AM

:thumbsup::agree::thumbsup:

The_Todd
05-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Being offered one in the first place might actually be the most likely way of getting him to sign one. :cool2:

H18sry
05-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd prefer Bamba, Miller or if De Graff plays to his potential then he could be possible.

What is the full potential of a player scooped from an un-fancied Dutch team?:wink:

Diclonius
05-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd make McBride captain. He starts off every one of our successful moves and is the most vocal and animated on the pitch. :agree:

Beefster
05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Being offered one in the first place might actually be the most likely way of getting him to sign one. :cool2:

If Hibs want to keep him, I'm sure he will be offered one at a suitable time (for Hibs). Considering how miserable Hibs are with cash, you can guarantee that they won't pay an improved contract for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

There's 10+ players out of contract next summer so Riordan's far from unique.

offshorehibby
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
What is the full potential of a player scooped from an un-fancied Dutch team?:wink:

By all accounts he was going to be the player that would make the midfield tick. Obviously hasn't happened yet but i live in hope.

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Deek couldne command his bird to make him a cup of tea. :greengrin

Murray should always be number 1 captain. Its mind boggling that this hasn't happened.

Albion Hibs
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM

Think making Bamba captain would be a real mistake, for one he it too irratic and most importantly he wants away, what is the point in having a new captain each season. Someone who does not want to be there should not be captain IMO.

For the the captain should be a hibby end of story.

heretoday
05-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd make McBride captain. He starts off every one of our successful moves and is the most vocal and animated on the pitch. :agree:

:agree: He puts me in mind of Stanton at times.

miller99
05-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Spoony?

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 03:18 PM
:agree: He puts me in mind of Stanton at times.

Me too, Pat had seven letters in his surname too.

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Me too, Pat had seven letters in his surname too.

:agree: :greengrin

People are still talking about Stanton 50 years later.

Who's going to mention McBride 50 years in the future?

He has nothing on Stanton. :agree: ..... apart from the 7 letter thing. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 03:31 PM
:agree: :greengrin

People are still talking about Stanton 50 years later.

Who's going to mention McBride 50 years in the future?

He has nothing on Stanton. :agree: ..... apart from the 7 letter thing. :greengrin

:wink: There was only one king pat, McBride who i like is nowhere near Pat in terms of ability, class, football brain. But that apart they are similar. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm with Beefy - I'm a huge Deeks fan but captain - nah!

Sas_The_Hibby
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Think making Bamba captain would be a real mistake, for one he it too irratic and most importantly he wants away, what is the point in having a new captain each season. Someone who does not want to be there should not be captain IMO.

For the the captain should be a hibby end of story.

This is as illogical as the idea that the manager should be a Hibby - whatever that actually means.

Picture the backroom scene about ten years ago:

"So will we make Franck Sauzee team captain? He's got loads of experience at the top level, has a wise head on him and is a motivational player with proven leadership qualities. The players all look up to him."

"Yeah, that's all very well but he's not really a Hibby, is he?" :bitchy:

heretoday
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
:wink: There was only one king pat, McBride who i like is nowhere near Pat in terms of ability, class, football brain. But that apart they are similar. :greengrin

No fair enough but different times eras and all that. He just looks like him sometimes going forward.

This hair shirt don't half itch......

Albion Hibs
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
This is as illogical as the idea that the manager should be a Hibby - whatever that actually means.

Picture the backroom scene about ten years ago:

"So will we make Franck Sauzee team captain? He's got loads of experience at the top level, has a wise head on him and is a motivational player with proven leadership qualities. The players all look up to him."

"Yeah, that's all very well but he's not really a Hibby, is he?" :bitchy:

Ridiculous comparison, how many franks do we currently have in the team whereby we can actually be in a position to make that choice?

Why you would not want your captain to be someone who has lived for the club and understands what it is to lead your team. McBride went off the pitch every time someone stood on his toe last year and took a reasonable amount of abuse, quite were all the shouts for him have come from I dont know - is he your frank!!!

Alex Trager
05-09-2010, 06:02 PM
i never wrote this...i'd put McBride as captain

Sloppy
05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
francis dickoh?

Libby Hibby
05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Bamba for Captain if he signs an extended new deal...do we know if Hogg is officially not our captain anymore? Or is this just a Captain wishlist for all the Hogg Haters

Sas_The_Hibby
05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Ridiculous comparison, how many franks do we currently have in the team whereby we can actually be in a position to make that choice?

Why you would not want your captain to be someone who has lived for the club and understands what it is to lead your team. McBride went off the pitch every time someone stood on his toe last year and took a reasonable amount of abuse, quite were all the shouts for him have come from I dont know - is he your frank!!!

I'd want the captain to be someone with genuine leadership qualities who can motivate the team on the pitch. Whether they've "lived for the club" or not is, frankly, irrelevant. Perhaps that makes me "not a Hibby" in your eyes.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth but I never mentioned McBride, or anyone else in the current team.

FWIW, my choice currently would be Ian Murray - but not just because he's a "Hibby end of story", which seems a pretty inadequate job specification IMO.

Albion Hibs
05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I'd want the captain to be someone with genuine leadership qualities who can motivate the team on the pitch. Whether they've "lived for the club" or not is, frankly, irrelevant. Perhaps that makes me "not a Hibby" in your eyes.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth but I never mentioned McBride, or anyone else in the current team.

FWIW, my choice currently would be Ian Murray - but not just because he's a "Hibby end of story", which seems a pretty inadequate job specification IMO.

Completely happy to disagree, which I do. You can have a good leader and motivator, these are things that players will pick up over the course of there career, what it means to play in a derby, win against the old firm of good forbid progress in the scottish cup are not things that players can learn, but rather things they may or may not understand.

Just look at the situation at swinny where the selected a new captain at the start of the year who has already rocked the apple cart.

FWIW I agree with your current choice in the event that hogg is going to be the captain.

Sas_The_Hibby
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Completely happy to disagree, which I do. You can have a good leader and motivator, these are things that players will pick up over the course of there career, what it means to play in a derby, win against the old firm of good forbid progress in the scottish cup are not things that players can learn, but rather things they may or may not understand.

Just look at the situation at swinny where the selected a new captain at the start of the year who has already rocked the apple cart.

FWIW I agree with your current choice in the event that hogg is going to be the captain.

I would suggest that any experienced player would understand fully what a derby game, beating one of the top sides in your league, or progressing in a cup competition means - these are not experiences that are peculiar to Edinburgh or even Scotland. You often need a cool head as captain, rather than someone who is more 'emotionally' involved.

OtterHibee
05-09-2010, 08:07 PM
...Or is this just a Captain wishlist for all the Hogg Haters?

The above, sadly.

sambajustice
05-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Miller - He's our best player

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Captain could be anyone with leadership qualities. It's hard for fans to pick because we don't really know what they are like in the dressing room and at training, we only see their on the park qualities.
For all we known Mark Brown or Davie Wotherspoon could be the most vocal and inspiring people in the changing room!!

renato
05-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Most captains tend to be vocal or lead by example, which lends itself to an experienced centre half or midfielder more often than not.

That's not to say the maverick forward will never work. Le Tissier did a not bad job at Southampton :greengrin , Del Piero & Raul led Juventus and Real to countless trophies and Totti's brought Serie A titles to Roma.

Would hazard a guess that their team mates all looked upon these guys as talismans, who could do a little magic and pull them out a hole. Also playing all (or close to all) their careers at the club they supported must've given them respect from players and fans. They all symbolised their clubs in the fans eyes.

Not suggesting that Derek should be captain (in fact pretty pointless even discussing as long as Hogg plays) however, should that change, it may not be that crazy an idea if he can emulate even a fraction of what these guys gave to "their" clubs.

PS obviously not suggesting Riordan's the same quality as these players, just that his importance and influence on the team is probably comparable :greengrin

Albion Hibs
05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I would suggest that any experienced player would understand fully what a derby game, beating one of the top sides in your league, or progressing in a cup competition means - these are not experiences that are peculiar to Edinburgh or even Scotland. You often need a cool head as captain, rather than someone who is more 'emotionally' involved.

I will again disagree and perhaps leave it has that, based on the simple question as a Hibs fan do I feel as passionate / understand the level of importance of the Merseyside derby as much as I do and Edinburgh one? Simply put no. Granted experienced players are experienced players but there are some things that experience will just not give you.

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
How could anyone want bamba as captain? :confused:

He's always bigging himself up in the media and making Hibs out to be nothing more than a simple stepping stone in his career. Hes constantly trying to claw his way out of here. :bitchy:

FranckSuzy
05-09-2010, 09:36 PM
I will again disagree and perhaps leave it has that, based on the simple question as a Hibs fan do I feel as passionate / understand the level of importance of the Merseyside derby as much as I do and Edinburgh one? Simply put no. Granted experienced players are experienced players but there are some things that experience will just not give you.

Serious question..what's going on with your font :cool2:? Just wondered like :greengrin