PDA

View Full Version : Story in the News about Hibs being like Barca or something

matty_f
04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Not read it yet, but thought I'd get the ball rolling with the criticism. The online version of the EEN has a sub heading which has something about Yogi wanting Hibs to play like Barca (or something).

So, just to get the boot in early, I'll make the following points:

Hogg isnae Puyol but Yogi.

Messi is better than Nish (note, Nish can be substituted for the highly amusing alternative of 'Pish', and there's also scope for a 'I wish he was substituted' line to accompany this note.)

Barca didnae sell their best player to Celtc.

Something about Hogg, Rankin and Nish. Maybe lump in Thicot and one or all of the goalkeepers as well. And Gordon Marshall.

No point having a new stand if there's no fans - not related to the story of course, but well worth a mention.

Yogi shouldn't be wanting us to play like Barca, we should play like underdogs. This positive reinforcement stuff doesn't work.

Nobody uses Barca's tactics anymore. Yogi's a football dinosaur.

Apologies if I've missed any, I'm very tired.

Going to read the article now.

degenerated
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM
:hilarious FACT :agree:

Scotthibs1875
05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Not read it yet, but thought I'd get the ball rolling with the criticism. The online version of the EEN has a sub heading which has something about Yogi wanting Hibs to play like Barca (or something).

Messi is better than Nish (note, Nish can be substituted for the highly amusing alternative of 'Pish', and there's also scope for a 'I wish he was substituted' line to accompany this note.)

Something about Hogg, Rankin and Nish. Maybe lump in Thicot and one or all of the goalkeepers as well. And Gordon Marshall.

No point having a new stand if there's no fans - not related to the story of course, but well worth a mention.

Yogi shouldn't be wanting us to play like Barca, we should play like underdogs. This positive reinforcement stuff doesn't work.

Boo Hoo, go tell someone who cares

Woody1985
05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
:tee hee:

LeithBoozy
05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Just when you think he can't get any worse,do you think he is at the wind-up. ???:confused:

Hainan Hibs
05-09-2010, 12:22 AM
I'd just like to get a

****ING BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

in cheers:agree:

matty_f
05-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Boo Hoo, go tell someone who cares

:thumbsup:

MyJo
05-09-2010, 12:40 AM

Not good enough i'm afraid Mr Fairnie, not one single mention of us being Sir Tom Farmers cash-cow and Rod Petrie and the board's humungus salaries that they do nothing to deserve.

B-, room for improvement

Scotthibs1875
05-09-2010, 01:04 AM
:thumbsup:
:wink: tee hee

down the slope
05-09-2010, 06:37 AM
here it is, i wish he would just shut up !.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Grounds-for-optimism-Hibs-boss.6513571.jp

YehButNoBut
05-09-2010, 07:02 AM
:rolleyes:

This will give the Yams a good chuckle.

He does come out with some pi sh at times. :yawn:

matty_f
05-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Not good enough i'm afraid Mr Fairnie, not one single mention of us being Sir Tom Farmers cash-cow and Rod Petrie and the board's humungus salaries that they do nothing to deserve.

B-, room for improvement

My bad.:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2010, 07:31 AM

Spot on with this one. This playing wee skilful guys thing is dated. Barca didn't even win the Champons League last year and as far as I remember Spain never done nothing in the World Cup - apart from winning it they were very poor in most games. All this tippy-tappy nonsense and only winning 1-0. Too wee as well.

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 07:41 AM
The man is a complete clown - getting worse by the week.

matty_f
05-09-2010, 08:10 AM
The man is a complete clown - getting worse by the week.

I swear I'll do time if we don't play like Barca!:grr:

matty_f
05-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Spot on with this one. This playing wee skilful guys thing is dated. Barca didn't even win the Champons League last year and as far as I remember Spain never done nothing in the World Cup - apart from winning it they were very poor in most games. All this tippy-tappy nonsense and only winning 1-0. Too wee as well.

Forgot about the midget card.

And what have Holland ever done for football?! Yogi GTF!!:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

RAGING!

Brizo
05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Having read the full article Yogi makes some good points but thats all it is more yogispraff. Yogi must be a dream date for fitba journos , stick a microphone under his coupon and let him chunter on and on and on and on .....

All very idealistic but afaik weve won something like 4 competitive games in this calender year :dunno:. Some people might continue to buy into the Yogi self promoting PR machine but id rather see results on the park than another chapter of the Yogi monologues

Barney McGrew
05-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I might be missing something, but as far as I can see Yogi is talking about playing with a passing game and a winning mentality. That and pointing out that Barcelona work hard to get the ball back again when they lose it.

What's so daft about wanting Hibs to do those things?

Barney McGrew
05-09-2010, 08:19 AM
All very idealistic but afaik weve won something like 4 competitive games in this calender year

We've won nine, the same number Hertz have.

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2010, 08:21 AM
All very idealistic but afaik weve won something like 4 competitive games in this calender year :dunno:.

I think we won 4 in the month of January.

degenerated
05-09-2010, 08:23 AM

but if you discount 5 of them then we have only won 4 :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
05-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I might be missing something, but as far as I can see Yogi is talking about playing with a passing game and a winning mentality. That and pointing out that Barcelona work hard to get the ball back again when they lose it.

There's been enough folk on here saying that for years while watching a CL game

eg1 why can't our players work hard like theirs

eg2 why can't our players stay off the bevvy

repeat ad nauseum

Bayern Bru
05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
...Barcelona aren't even Dutch.

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I swear I'll do time if we don't play like Barca!:grr:

In a strange way I think we already are. :hmmm:

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 08:51 AM

It's the mixed messages he keeps chuntering out. We are going to play the Dutch style; we are underdogs in every game; er, we need to have a winning mentality; nobody reads fans websites; those websites could be full of Yams anyway; players can shape up or ship out; no I really meant it last week and this is their absolutely final no doubt about it last chance; they can shape up or ship out; I know what I am doing; no I don't.

Meanwhile anyone who can understand a form table can see that the team is not performing. What does Yogi do: a) shut his gob and get on with quietly working on the team; b) jump for every bone that a journalist throws him.

Maybe he needs an older head to help him along with the media and things. They could share a desk, and if say Yogi was to have an accident or illness then there would be someone to take the reins and steady the ship whilst the manager is re-educated.

Brizo
05-09-2010, 08:52 AM

I think we won 4 in the month of January.

:doh: Thanks for clearing up the calender year stats.

hibs0666
05-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I feel the manager did not give the Dutch total football philosophy enough time to truly embed itself at the club. Or maybe he feels big Nishy and wee Ranks are betted suited to a Spanish pass and move game.

Part/Time Supporter
05-09-2010, 08:56 AM
...Barcelona aren't even Dutch.

Still heavily influenced by Cruyff though, really. Hence why he supported Spain against Holland in the WC Final.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/world-cup-2010/7880884/World-Cup-Final-Holland-hero-Johan-Cruyff-pledges-allegiance-to-Spain.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8812484.stm

(((Fergus)))
05-09-2010, 09:23 AM

does he have anything else, other than blether?

basehibby
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I think you need to look at the context of this article before steaming in with the Yogi-bashing cliches. Quote from the beginning of the article....

...... Jonathan Grounds has a straight face as he delivers this line. "Speaking to the manager when I came down on Tuesday and after training today, he said he wants to be the Barcelona of Scotland,"

So - the Barcelona analogy is not something Hughes came out with directly to the press, but he has used it in selling the club to a new player and in talking to the players in training.

What happens next is the journo who interviewed Grounds asks Yogi about the Barca angle and Hughes responds by pointing out that Barca work extremely hard at winning the ball as well as playing nice football when they've got it -

...When they lose the ball they have to get it back within five seconds and that's multi-millionaires you are talking about, guys like Messi, and if it is good enough for these guys then it is good enough for us."

a fair enough analogy to get you point accross in training IMO.

NB - in response to posters who've claimed that booing your own team doesn't have any negative effect

.....to go and play St Mirren and hear the fans booing it's a bit off-putting

That from a manager with 20 years playing experience behind him - I know who I'd believe!

If there's one statement in the article which is worthy of criticism it's the following...

...I think there has been massive progress since we came but the trouble is that greater expectations can be a very, very dangerous thing."

I would argue that if "massive progress" has been made then it's not been truly reflected on the park since january when we were beating Celtic at Parkhead. Hibs fans expectations are not all that crazy - we all want to see a team challenging for third place and progressing in the cups - pretty reasonable really. There's still plenty of opportunity to meet these targets this season and I wait with great interest to see what effect the new signings might have on the team.

But one thing John - if you want to keep fans' expectations under control - keep the Barcelona analogies out of the press!

Gus Fring
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
The articles written by a woman, can't take it seriously :worms:

The_Todd
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Dear Yogi.

My friend Mr T has a message for you:

Goodnight.

Baldy Foghorn
05-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Great rant but Gordon Marshall left some time ago:wink::greengrin

YehButNoBut
05-09-2010, 12:08 PM

There is a good post by an OF follower on this story, don't often agree with OF fans but it is hard to argue against IMO.

His post is below.

"I don't often comment on Edinburgh threads - I find that you don't appreciate OF interference on the whole. However, it's a slow Sunday, so I'll make a contribution.

The people who run Hibernian FC, to me, have very little on-field ambition. They seem to look at the bigger picture, the nice modern stadium, the training complex, the enviable bank balance, and take the view that all of that, coupled with a perpetual presence in the SPL, with a decent record of making the top six, is enough for their club and its followers.

It's hard to be too critical of that stance in these uncertain financial times, but when you look at the debt level across the city, and the financial poverty of other city clubs such as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd, there exists a real opportunity for a club to show a little ambition, spend a little money, and make that third place "best of the rest" position all theirs. And there is no doubt that Hibernian are uniquely positioned to fill that gap. They've had an incredible amount of money thrown at them from the OF in recent years, and if they'd even spent half of that on replacing those players, then they'd be almost the natural third club in the country by now.

In my childhood (late 60s/early 70s), Hibernian were a major force - the team that always seemed to me to be the biggest threat to OF domination (3rd in 1968, 1970 and 1973, 2nd in 1974 and 1975). It is possible for the club to be there again. Quite frankly, if they appoint the right man as coach (sorry Yogi)and utilise their financial strength to make a few key signings, then there would be nobody able to stop them, and attendances under those circumstances would be closer to 20,000, I feel sure, so more money would naturally flow in. They'd also increase their chances of the occasional cup triumph, and maybe even earn a money-spinning (relatively speaking) run in the Europa League.

Go on Hibs - you know you want to."

matty_f
05-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I think you need to look at the context of this article before steaming in with the Yogi-bashing cliches. Quote from the beginning of the article....

...... Jonathan Grounds has a straight face as he delivers this line. "Speaking to the manager when I came down on Tuesday and after training today, he said he wants to be the Barcelona of Scotland,"

So - the Barcelona analogy is not something Hughes came out with directly to the press, but he has used it in selling the club to a new player and in talking to the players in training.

What happens next is the journo who interviewed Grounds asks Yogi about the Barca angle and Hughes responds by pointing out that Barca work extremely hard at winning the ball as well as playing nice football when they've got it -

...When they lose the ball they have to get it back within five seconds and that's multi-millionaires you are talking about, guys like Messi, and if it is good enough for these guys then it is good enough for us."

a fair enough analogy to get you point accross in training IMO.

NB - in response to posters who've claimed that booing your own team doesn't have any negative effect

.....to go and play St Mirren and hear the fans booing it's a bit off-putting

That from a manager with 20 years playing experience behind him - I know who I'd believe!

If there's one statement in the article which is worthy of criticism it's the following...

...I think there has been massive progress since we came but the trouble is that greater expectations can be a very, very dangerous thing."

I would argue that if "massive progress" has been made then it's not been truly reflected on the park since january when we were beating Celtic at Parkhead. Hibs fans expectations are not all that crazy - we all want to see a team challenging for third place and progressing in the cups - pretty reasonable really. There's still plenty of opportunity to meet these targets this season and I wait with great interest to see what effect the new signings might have on the team.

But one thing John - if you want to keep fans' expectations under control - keep the Barcelona analogies out of the press!

Great rant but Gordon Marshall left some time ago:wink::greengrin

Just for the record (and I'm sure you know this) but my post was a piss-take.:agree:

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Yogi wants Hibs playing like Barca? So what?

I want Hibs playing like Barca.

Not that it will ever happen.......... anytime soon. :cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 01:41 PM
There is a good post by an OF follower on this story, don't often agree with OF fans but it is hard to argue against IMO.

A sensible, insightful and measured post. For me the argument about spending money you don't have falls down. Hearts have spent big, and what did they actually achieve?

In the last ten years, I'd say we have had as much to crow about on the field as they have. However, in our case, we have also built up strong foundations for the future.

If we can continue to bring in money from player sales, we can start to spend that on the team. The other things a club needs - especially taking a medium term view of the way the game is going (European leagues etc) - are in place now. We've actually had the pain, we don't have anything left to buy.

Another thing is the myth that we haven't been paying for players. We have, it's just that the managers who have had the budget haven't always brought in as good a bargain as they could have.

Nice of the OF to throw money at us though. They're all heart.

matty_f
05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
A sensible, insightful and measured post. For me the argument about spending money you don't have falls down. Hearts have spent big, and what did they actually achieve?

In the last ten years, I'd say we have had as much to crow about on the field as they have. However, in our case, we have also built up strong foundations for the future.

If we can continue to bring in money from player sales, we can start to spend that on the team. The other things a club needs - especially taking a medium term view of the way the game is going (European leagues etc) - are in place now. We've actually had the pain, we don't have anything left to buy.

Another thing is the myth that we haven't been paying for players. We have, it's just that the managers who have had the budget haven't always brought in as good a bargain as they could have.

Nice of the OF to throw money at us though. They're all heart.
:top marks

I don't know if other team's fans quite realise the turnover of players we've had since the days of the 'Golden Generation'. I wouldn't like to count how many players we've signed and released since Mowbray left. I would think there would probably be enough to fill two teams, maybe more.

That can't be done for free. All of the post-Mowbray managers have been backed within reason by the board, and I'd say that it's only really Yogi that's shown much of an eye for a 'gem' on our budget.

At some point, the combination of the off-field growth, the work that's been done on the infrastructure, and the incremental increase in spend on the playing pool will come together and we'll see the results.

The magic ingredient is proving elusive though, and I hope that Yogi isn't too far off finding it.

BEEJ
05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't know if other team's fans quite realise the turnover of players we've had since the days of the 'Golden Generation'. I wouldn't like to count how many players we've signed and released since Mowbray left. I would think there would probably be enough to fill two teams, maybe more.
Are you ready for this?

We've sold / released no fewer than 62 players since TM's departure:

Summer 2010
Anthony Stokes
Yves MaKalambay
Abdesallam Benjelloun
Patrick Cregg
Darren McCormack
Alan Gow

January 2010

Summer 2009
Jonatan Johansson
David van Zanten
Patrick Deane
Jack Wilson
Joe Keenan
Ewan Moyes
Ross Campbell
Jordan Cropley
Rob Jones
Alan O'Brien
Steven Fletcher
Ross Chisolm
Denes Rosa
Grzegorz Szamotulski
Andrew McNeil
Steve Pinau
David Gray
Fabian Yantorno
Blair Tolmie

January 2009
David Grof
Dean Shiels
Thierry Gattheussi
Filipe Morais

Summer 2008
Brian Kerr
Martin Canning
Zibby Malkowski
Sean Lynch
Patrick Mailey
Clayton Donaldson
Guillaime Beuzelin
Abderouf Zarabi
Patrick Noubissie
Dermot McCaffrey
Mikael-Antoine Curier
Keegan Ayre

January 2008
Ally Brown
Torben Joneleit
Steven Notman
David Murphy

Summer 2007
Steven Whittaker
Stephen Glass
Kevin McDonald
Shelton Martis
Jay Shields
Ivan Sproule
Sam Morrow
Thomas Sowumni
Simon Brown
Jamie McLuskey
Jonathan Baillie
Chris Killen
Scott Brown
Michael Stewart

January 2007
Kevin Thomson
Oumar Konde
Amadou Konte

In the same period I make it that we have signed 40 players. The difference will be a result of:

a) youngsters being promoted to the first team squad;
b) squad size being reduced slightly since the TM days.

Apologies, Matty, if your question was just rhetorical. :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Are you ready for this?

Summer 2010
Anthony Stokes
Yves MaKalambay
Abdesallam Benjelloun
Patrick Cregg
Darren McCormack
Alan Gow

January 2010

Summer 2009
Jonatan Johansson
David van Zanten
Patrick Deane
Jack Wilson
Joe Keenan
Ewan Moyes
Ross Campbell
Jordan Cropley
Rob Jones
Alan O'Brien
Steven Fletcher
Ross Chisolm
Denes Rosa
Grzegorz Szamotulski
Andrew McNeil
Steve Pinau
David Gray
Fabian Yantorno
Blair Tolmie

January 2009
David Grof
Dean Shiels
Thierry Gattheussi
Filipe Morais

Summer 2008
Brian Kerr
Martin Canning
Zibby Malkowski
Sean Lynch
Patrick Mailey
Clayton Donaldson
Guillaime Beuzelin
Abderouf Zarabi
Patrick Noubissie
Dermot McCaffrey
Mikael-Antoine Curier
Keegan Ayre

January 2008
Ally Brown
Torben Joneleit
Steven Notman
David Murphy

Summer 2007
Steven Whittaker
Stephen Glass
Kevin McDonald
Shelton Martis
Jay Shields
Ivan Sproule
Sam Morrow
Thomas Sowumni
Simon Brown
Jamie McLuskey
Jonathan Baillie
Chris Killen
Scott Brown
Michael Stewart

January 2007
Kevin Thomson
Oumar Konde
Amadou Konte

In the same period I make it that we have signed 40 players. The difference will be a result of:

Wow that is some list Beej......... Some of these players I had actually forgotten about, like Rosa and Szamotulski......

Sort of puts it into perspective of the calibre of player we have lost also

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd forgotten all about him, but remember there was quite a lot of folk at the time saying it was a huge mistake letting Kevin McDonald go in 2007. Whats he doing now, is he still playing?

sahib
05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Yogi is Barca-ing mad!

Just made for the Scottish Sun that headline.

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Yogi is Barca-ing mad!

Just made for the Scottish Sun that headline.

Yogi Claims Cruyff Legacy - Scotland on Sunday
Hughey What a Sickener - Sunday Sport
Yogi Married Me For Money - Take a Break
Hearts Still the Big Team - Evening News

matty_f
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Are you ready for this?

Summer 2010
Anthony Stokes
Yves MaKalambay
Abdesallam Benjelloun
Patrick Cregg
Darren McCormack
Alan Gow

January 2010

Summer 2009
Jonatan Johansson
David van Zanten
Patrick Deane
Jack Wilson
Joe Keenan
Ewan Moyes
Ross Campbell
Jordan Cropley
Rob Jones
Alan O'Brien
Steven Fletcher
Ross Chisolm
Denes Rosa
Grzegorz Szamotulski
Andrew McNeil
Steve Pinau
David Gray
Fabian Yantorno
Blair Tolmie

January 2009
David Grof
Dean Shiels
Thierry Gattheussi
Filipe Morais

Summer 2008
Brian Kerr
Martin Canning
Zibby Malkowski
Sean Lynch
Patrick Mailey
Clayton Donaldson
Guillaime Beuzelin
Abderouf Zarabi
Patrick Noubissie
Dermot McCaffrey
Mikael-Antoine Curier
Keegan Ayre

January 2008
Ally Brown
Torben Joneleit
Steven Notman
David Murphy

Summer 2007
Steven Whittaker
Stephen Glass
Kevin McDonald
Shelton Martis
Jay Shields
Ivan Sproule
Sam Morrow
Thomas Sowumni
Simon Brown
Jamie McLuskey
Jonathan Baillie
Chris Killen
Scott Brown
Michael Stewart

January 2007
Kevin Thomson
Oumar Konde
Amadou Konte

No need for the apologies, Beej. Truth be told I was expecting you'd have the list to back up my point, so thanks for obliging!:thumbsup:

Now how many other sides have signed 40 players in that same period in the SPL?

sahib
05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Yogi Claims Cruyff Legacy - Scotland on Sunday
Hughey What a Sickener - Sunday Sport
Yogi Married Me For Money - Take a Break
Hearts Still the Big Team - Evening News

hibee4life1983
06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
I dont see the problem here, yogi mentioned nothing of us mimicing barca, he just said that he wanted the players to belive in themselves keep the passing game going but work harder on being harder to beat, the 5 second get bk rule would be great if he never played guys like nish tho, who seems to take 5 secs to think 5 secs alone, but honestly, i dont see what the big huff is bout this, it shows he wants winners!

Saorsa
06-09-2010, 07:21 AM

So - the Barcelona analogy is not something Hughes came out with directly to the press, but he has used it in selling the club to a new player and in talking to the players in training.So instead of slavering tae the press he's been slavering tae the players who in turn pass it on tae the press :bitchy: Hibs will never, ever play anything like Barcelona with Hughes in charge because he is clueless, it's all just wind and pish and we've heard it all before.

Dutch fitba :hilarious, Spanish fitba :hilarious Since Hughes has been in charge Hibs have looked and played mair like the lads doon the links on a Sunday for a kickabout. :bitchy:

hibees_green
06-09-2010, 08:31 AM
....The magic ingredient is proving elusive though....

For me the magic ingredient will always be the manager...........still waiting to see if Yogi can turn out to be the one.:cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 08:34 AM
I dont see the problem here, yogi mentioned nothing of us mimicing barca, he just said that he wanted the players to belive in themselves keep the passing game going but work harder on being harder to beat, the 5 second get bk rule would be great if he never played guys like nish tho, who seems to take 5 secs to think 5 secs alone, but honestly, i dont see what the big huff is bout this, it shows he wants winners!

The big fuss is that Yogi talks the talk, but so far has failed to walk the walk.

matty_f
06-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Sorry, I started this thread as a bit of a pish take at the outrage provoked by anything that Yogi has been reported as saying on here.

I did make it clear that at no point had I read the article, which I thought would have been enough for folk to see it was tongue in cheek.:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2010, 08:53 AM
The big fuss is that Yogi talks the talk, but so far has failed to walk the walk.

Aye right, we constantly qualify for europe. My passport is littered with stamps from country's all over the world following Hibs.

cockneymike
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I actually think that the comparison with barca is fine, they do work very hard when they don't have possession - we do not.

Suggesting that the OF have a must win mentality in every game is true, it would be great if we could develop that.

I also think that Yogi is right, there are many Hibs fans that aren't intelligent enough to understand this.

That said he's made many mistakes, but hopefully some of these signings in the last week are part of his attempts at rectifying them.

basehibby
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Just for the record (and I'm sure you know this) but my post was a piss-take.:agree:

Kinda gathered that Matty - but many of the subsequent respondents were patently switched onto auto-Yogi-bollocking mode which deserved an answer.

matty_f
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Kinda gathered that Matty - but many of the subsequent respondents were patently switched onto auto-Yogi-bollocking mode which deserved an answer.

:aok:

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I actually think that the comparison with barca is fine, they do work very hard when they don't have possession - we do not.

Suggesting that the OF have a must win mentality in every game is true, it would be great if we could develop that.

I also think that Yogi is right, there are many Hibs fans that aren't intelligent enough to understand this.

That said he's made many mistakes, but hopefully some of these signings in the last week are part of his attempts at rectifying them.

What I don't get is how people can square a winning mentality, a la Old Firm, with approaching every game as underdogs. Surely if you expect to win before you start, then you can't be an underdog.

It's that lack of joined up thinking from Yogi that is frustrating. I think many Hibs fans are bright enough to remember his previous ruminations and match them up to what he is saying a week later.

I do believe he maybe has to be a bit less trusting of journos though, as I am sure they are bright enough to generate stories when Yogi contradicts himself.

lyonhibs
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
It's the mixed messages he keeps chuntering out. We are going to play the Dutch style; we are underdogs in every game; er, we need to have a winning mentality; nobody reads fans websites; those websites could be full of Yams anyway; players can shape up or ship out; no I really meant it last week and this is their absolutely final no doubt about it last chance; they can shape up or ship out; I know what I am doing; no I don't.

Meanwhile anyone who can understand a form table can see that the team is not performing. What does Yogi do: a) shut his gob and get on with quietly working on the team; b) jump for every bone that a journalist throws him.

Maybe he needs an older head to help him along with the media and things. They could share a desk, and if say Yogi was to have an accident or illness then there would be someone to take the reins and steady the ship whilst the manager is re-educated.

:agree: :top marks

Don't necessarily agree with the last bit, but Yogi really needs to be a bit more media-savvy, or limit his press appearances, or something, because it's just getting daft now.

His "pish in the wind" to "realistic analysis" ratio is moving ever-quicker in the wrong direction, though that's just a general statement, formed over a matter or months. This article isn't actually too bad.

Andy74
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
What I don't get is how people can square a winning mentality, a la Old Firm, with approaching every game as underdogs. Surely if you expect to win before you start, then you can't be an underdog.

It's that lack of joined up thinking from Yogi that is frustrating. I think many Hibs fans are bright enough to remember his previous ruminations and match them up to what he is saying a week later.

I do believe he maybe has to be a bit less trusting of journos though, as I am sure they are bright enough to generate stories when Yogi contradicts himself.

Only he didn't say a thing about being underdogs, that was the journalist writing around what he said.

What he said was exactrly the same, no matter who you are you need to fight for everything and have a will to win.

bawheid
06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Only he didn't say a thing about being underdogs, that was the journalist writing around what he said.

What he said was exactrly the same, no matter who you are you need to fight for everything and have a will to win.

Why let the facts get in the way of another anti-Yogi rant?

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Fair enough, that is perfectly logical. How does he get himself into situations where journos can twist his quotes though?

Disc O'Dave
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Aye right, we constantly qualify for europe. My passport is littered with stamps from country's all over the world following Hibs.

To be fair, by definition, playing in Europe wouldn't get you many passport stamps now we're all in the EU......:nerd:

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Why let the facts get in the way of another anti-Yogi rant?

Move along, nothing to see here?

I'd much rather Yogi succeeds than fails. The hassle and disruption of getting another manager is something the club could do without.

It's just that at the moment, we have the situation where form is poor, and Yogi making an eejit of himself in the press. Put the two things together and you start to doubt if he really knows what he is doing.

I wish he'd go for another quote from The Big Bumper Book of Managerial Cliches - "we'll do our talking on the park (Brian)".

Andy74
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Fair enough, that is perfectly logical. How does he get himself into situations where journos can twist his quotes though?

That's an age old question isn't it.

It's impossible, he has said what he has said and unless he gets editing rights over the final artcile every day there's nothing that can be done about it.

Ir's not really a problem unless there's a group of people looking to take whatever you say and oput a negative slant on it either way.

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
That's an age old question isn't it.

It's impossible, he has said what he has said and unless he gets editing rights over the final artcile every day there's nothing that can be done about it.

Ir's not really a problem unless there's a group of people looking to take whatever you say and oput a negative slant on it either way.

Yet the cleverer managers don't end up in the same mess. I'm sure people tried to misquote Stein - but he would be wouldn't stand for it, and gave them an earful.

The only guy who is more cringeworthy with his remarks in the press at the moment is Magoo at Aberdeen. Other bosses seem to know how to play the game better.

Speedway
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Yogi wants Hibs playing like Barca? So what?

I want Hibs playing like Barca.

Not that it will ever happen.......... anytime soon. :cool2:

Real Madrid want Barca playing like Hibs, so that's a huge compliment.

Andy74
06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Yet the cleverer managers don't end up in the same mess. I'm sure people tried to misquote Stein - but he would be wouldn't stand for it, and gave them an earful.

The only guy who is more cringeworthy with his remarks in the press at the moment is Magoo at Aberdeen. Other bosses seem to know how to play the game better.

What mess? It's only if you want to see something that there's anyhting wrong with what Hughes has been saying since he came here.

if you wanted to play the same game you could go on every article out there on football and do the same thing with each and every one of them.

If people want to create a bit of mock outrage for themselves then great, a bit of a waste of energy but whatever makes people happy.

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 02:59 PM
What mess? It's only if you want to see something that there's anyhting wrong with what Hughes has been saying since he came here.

if you wanted to play the same game you could go on every article out there on football and do the same thing with each and every one of them.

If people want to create a bit of mock outrage for themselves then great, a bit of a waste of energy but whatever makes people happy.

You've maybe got a point, people don't make criticisms when the team is playing well. At the end of the day though, some managers are better at avoiding these attacks than others. They tend to be the ones who are measured in what they are saying.

3pm
06-09-2010, 09:27 PM
The comparison to Barca is a joke. Hughes is a disgrace for this, they only got to the semis of the Champions League. Yogi would have got more credibility had he compared us to Inter. Wee team mentality.