PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Harry Potter....

--------
04-09-2010, 10:52 AM
.... I've been having trouble sleeping this week, but thanks to you and the Scotland team, I enjoyed several hours of deep, refreshing slumber yesterday evening.

Better than Mogadon, Harry!

Many thanks - keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
.... I've been having trouble sleeping this week, but thanks to you and the Scotland team, I enjoyed several hours of deep, refreshing slumber yesterday evening.

Better than Mogadon, Harry!

Many thanks - keep up the good work. :thumbsup:Apparently we hammered the Lith's 0-0 - that'll teach them!

gillythehibby
04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I said on a thread yesterday that the draw was stealing money. Scotland are gash. 6/1 the nae score. Thank you Scotland. :thumbsup:

God Petrie
04-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm a massive scotland fan but it's hard to support any team that puts Berra on in the last minute as an attacking option.

PISTOL1875
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm a massive scotland fan but it's hard to support any team that puts Berra on in the last minute as an attacking option.

Berra was brought on because Whittaker was injured....

glow1875
04-09-2010, 01:13 PM
While last night's performance was not particularly impressive, it was a huge improvement on George Burley's reign.

I think you have to take into account the squad that HP inherited, and the morale in it, some of the awful results we'd had (Wales away...) and reflect that last night was, on the whole, just about ok.

It was HP's first competitive game and to start slagging him and the team off so soon is typical of the knee-jerkism which runs right through .net

We're miles behind others countries and, like it or not, about on a par with teams like Lithuania when we're away from home. We're not going to sort that out overnight.

Matty_Jack04
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
While last night's performance was not particularly impressive, it was a huge improvement on George Burley's reign.

I think you have to take into account the squad that HP inherited, and the morale in it, some of the awful results we'd had (Wales away...) and reflect that last night was, on the whole, just about ok.

It was HP's first competitive game and to start slagging him and the team off so soon is typical of the knee-jerkism which runs right through .net

We're miles behind others countries and, like it or not, about on a par with teams like Lithuania when we're away from home. We're not going to sort that out overnight.

i think all people want is to see the team have a go, if we had another striker up with miller last night i think we would have won that game

glow1875
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
i think all people want is to see the team have a go, if we had another striker up with miller last night i think we would have won that game

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with that, although on the other hand we could have lost if we'd gone more attacking. I'd certainly have gone with McFadden from the start instead of Naismith, I can't understand why we wouldn't play our best attacking player.

I'm just saying it's very early days, let's give the team and manager the benefit of the doubt. Look at France's result, but I'd wager they'll still qualify.

The_Sauz
04-09-2010, 02:27 PM
On the subject of Naismith, did HP not say just 2 weeks ago, that he (Naismith) needed to playing more regular for Der Huns before he would get played in the Scotland team, and that DR would need to work harder (tracking back) on a week to week bases before he would be picked! Yet here we are 1 league game later, Naismith walks straight into the team and DR (not his biggest fan btw) who has been tracking back since the end of last season, gets left behind......:bitchy:

:wtf: is that :jamboclow Robbo all about, all he did was repeat himself all-night :brickwall

Nameless
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm a massive scotland fan

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/111148.jpg

:hmmm:

--------
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM

My knees weren't jerking - I was out like a light. :zzzzz!:

GordonHFC
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
How do you inherit someone elses international squad. Surely anyone taking the job has the exact same people to choose from ?

glow1875
04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
How do you inherit someone elses international squad. Surely anyone taking the job has the exact same people to choose from ?

That's sort of the point. There isn't a huge depth of players to choose from. They were guff under Burley, but look a bit better under the new manager.

glow1875
04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
My knees weren't jerking - I was out like a light. :zzzzz!:

An insightful response :yawn:

Bishop Hibee
04-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I thought we played ok without the cutting edge that a fully fit McFadden/S Fletcher might have given us. Defo the better team. Levein was right though, they were a bunch of cloggers and the ref was dreadful.

Doddie, your posts have deteriorated recently. How can you comment on the performance if you slept through it (although you obviously didn't) :rolleyes:

--------
04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I thought we played ok without the cutting edge that a fully fit McFadden/S Fletcher might have given us. Defo the better team. Levein was right though, they were a bunch of cloggers and the ref was dreadful.

Doddie, your posts have deteriorated recently. How can you comment on the performance if you slept through it (although you obviously didn't) :rolleyes:

I wasn't commenting on the performance as such - merely pointing out that it had sent me fast asleep.

For which I was very grateful.

And I wanted to express my thanks.

That's all. :wink:

Arch Stanton
04-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I wasn't commenting on the performance as such - merely pointing out that it had sent me fast asleep.

For which I was very grateful.

And I wanted to express my thanks.

That's all. :wink:

And now I'm wondering if you'd ever stayed awake during any other Scotland games - I thought it was pretty decent compared to most.

Hainan Hibs
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
What annoys me most about the match is 3 points were pretty much crucial if we are to stand a chance. Now we will have to take something away to the Czech's plus a victory at home and maybe even something in one of the games against Spain. Anything can happen in 90 minutes of football, but I fear those two dropped points may have made our already hard task almost impossible.

Keith_M
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Let's face it, Scotland's campaign is over.

Harry Potter showed his football philosophy, big physical players who can give their all. Make sure you don't get beat and if that means playing only one up front, totally isolated from his team-mates, against one of the lesser lights then so be it.

I've criticised Miller in the past but you can't argue with his current domestic form. The difference being that he's played in a proper striking partnership, not on his Todd. I actually felt sorry for him last night.

I actually am a Scotland fan, normally watching the games on TV at least, but I now have no interest in watching any more of the qualifying matches.

Part/Time Supporter
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
That's sort of the point. There isn't a huge depth of players to choose from. They were guff under Burley, but look a bit better under the new manager.

:agree:

At least they weren't a complete shambles last night. Lithuania only remotely looked like scoring twice, one of those from a clear foul on Weir.

Learn to walk before you can run and all that.

grunt
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
if we had another striker up with miller last night i think we would have won that game
If we had someone who could take a free kick ...

Arch Stanton
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Let's face it, Scotland's campaign is over.

Harry Potter showed his football philosophy, big physical players who can give their all. Make sure you don't get beat and if that means playing only one up front, totally isolated from his team-mates, against one of the lesser lights then so be it.

I've criticised Miller in the past but you can't argue with his current domestic form. The difference being that he's played in a proper striking partnership, not on his Todd. I actually felt sorry for him last night.

I actually am a Scotland fan, normally watching the games on TV at least, but I now have no interest in watching any more of the qualifying matches.

If Lithuania is to be classed as a 'lesser light' I'd be interested to know how you would classify Scotland. 'Slightly not quite so lesser light' perhaps?

Arch Stanton
04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
If we had someone who could take a free kick ...

Indeed - and if that person was also able to fill the inside-forwardish, rigthmidfieldish position and be capable of defensive duties if and when he happened to be paying attention at the time then that person would have to be a shoe-in!

SloopJB
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
If Lithuania is to be classed as a 'lesser light' I'd be interested to know how you would classify Scotland. 'Slightly not quite so lesser light' perhaps?

Dull will do.

Keith_M
04-09-2010, 06:41 PM

I think you're missing the point here. Lithuania are not exactly one of the game's superpowers so the idea that Scotland had to play them in such a defensive style, with a 4-5-1 formation, is totally unacceptable... IMHO of course.

If he decides to play that way against Spain or away to the Czech Republic then I could understand it but last night's game was one they had to win.

If this is the kind of football we're reduced to then I'm afraid I've no interest at all any more.

Hiber-nation
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Lithuania were very poor last night. Levein should have sussed that and gone for the win with 20 mins to go. However the same old problems with Scotland exist -when we play experienced players and go for the safe option we get by without getting embarrassed but don't make any progress. When we throw in a few youngsters we get humped.

Its so depressing.

--------
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I think you're missing the point here. Lithuania are not exactly one of the game's superpowers so the idea that Scotland had to play them in such a defensive style, with a 4-5-1 formation, is totally unacceptable... IMHO of course.

If he decides to play that way against Spain or away to the Czech Republic then I could understand it but last night's game was one they had to win.

If this is the kind of football we're reduced to then I'm afraid I've no interest at all any more.

That is exactly the point I was making.l :agree:

glow1875
04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I think you're missing the point here. Lithuania are not exactly one of the game's superpowers.

And Scotland are?

I know we'd all like to think we should be going out and stuffing teams like this, but that's based more on our tradition and history than it is our current ability. What have you seen in the last 12 years since we last qualified for a tournament to make you think any different?

It's like when our club teams draw 'unknowns' in Europe, just because they don't have a history or pedigree we cannot assume that we are better than them.

I do actually think we should be beating teams like Lithuania, but only because as a country we should have better facilities, coaching and a stronger domestic league. The fact that we don't is hardly HP's fault.

Keith_M
04-09-2010, 08:27 PM
, just because they don't have a history or pedigree we cannot assume that we are better than them.

When did I say they were? Are you deliberately missing the point?

Please read my previous reply again where I said that Lithuania are no Spain or the Czech Republic, where playing a defensive, one up front formation might be considered acceptable.

This was a must win game against a team that are no better than Scotland (Is that enough description for you now?) and a reasonably attacking formation with players that might be a bit more creative is the least I'd expect.

glow1875
04-09-2010, 08:38 PM
When did I say they were? Are you deliberately missing the point?

Please read my previous reply again where I said that Lithuania are no Spain or the Czech Republic, where playing a defensive, one up front formation might be considered acceptable.

This was a must win game against a team that are no better than Scotland (Is that enough description for you now?) and a reasonably attacking formation with players that might be a bit more creative is the least I'd expect.

Nice use of bold and italics there, it's really made things much clearer for me.

However, as I said earlier, this was HP's first game in charge, so I think we need to cut him a bit of slack. He's still sussing out what the team are capable of, and had we gone there and lost - as we have before - we'd have been in big trouble.

What I saw last night was a return to the days of Walter Smith and Alex McLeish: not unbelievably exciting football, but competitive and at times rewarding.

It gave us wins against the likes of France and Ukraine, but it's also worth noting we lost at home to Belarus around this time.

I'm not asking for much, just a bit of realism at this early stage. If we're still, in your eyes, so poor in a year then we can always get a new manager, I'm sure they'll be queuing up for the job.

jdships
04-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Good post.
Looking back on the game 24 hours later it becomes even clearer ,as you rightly say, " last night's game was one they had to win. " in fact they shouldd have been expected to win
What was the game plan ?
Not to lose ? Certainly we had no "plan B" which might just have turned the game our way.
We had a situation in the second half when a great ball was put through to Millar who was immediatly surrounded by three defenders while the nearest Scot was at least 20 yards away !!!!:rolleyes:
Felt sorry foe Whittaker , a right back played on the left. Time and time again he had to try and come inside the man so he could use his right foot.
Not one midfielder showed that little touch of flair/class tha can win games
It was just , as one pundit said a " hardworking performance lacking that little touch of inspiration"
As for HP's interview criticising the referee - was that naivity or immaturity ? ,
Agree again as you say "If this is the kind of football we're reduced to then I'm afraid I've no interest at all any more. "

:no way:

Hibercelona
05-09-2010, 01:48 PM
We need an "all or nothing" man in charge. :agree:

None of this "let's not embarrass ourselves" nonsense. :bitchy:

I wouldn't care less if giants like Spain, Italy & Germany pumped us 6-0..... If we just had a go at them!! :grr:

Its better to risk losing 6-0 with a hope of winning, rather than settling for the boring, non embarassing 1 or 2-0 defeat.

Scotland need to lose all this tactical bull and play with some bloody pride!