PDA

View Full Version : Who all does what at Easter Road - non football side

PaulSmith
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Judith Ireland, Ticket Office Manager.
Amanda Vettese, Matchday Sales Manager. Tel:
Richard Alexander, Manager Retail Operations.
James S Pryde QPM, Operations Advisor.
Sue McLernon, Community Manager.
Stadium Manager - John Boag
Finance Director - Do we have one since Tim Garnder left?
Director - Amanda Jones
Chairman - Rod Petrie
Chief Exec - Scott Lyndsey
Fyfe Hyland - Communications& Commercial Director
Gary O'Hagon - Director/club secretary
Russell Smith - Corporate and Commerical Manager
Bruce Langholm - Director
English guy - New media manager communications

Is this too top heavy for a club with only 19 home games per season?

1two
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
For a 'company' with 10,000 regular customers I would say yes, they are required!
For a 'company' with a turnover of £xM, yes they are probably all required.

LancashireHibby
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Bearing in mind that those listed as directors will have little day-to-day impact, I think that's actually quite a streamlined operation for one of it's size, though of course they will have extra staff working beneath them.

PaulSmith
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
For a 'company' with 10,000 regular customers I would say yes, they are required!
For a 'company' with a turnover of £xM, yes they are probably all required.

Turnover - how much of the turnover comes from one off ST sales, TV money and how the club performs on the park. 60/70/80/90 %? :confused:

Regular customers - Yes, but actually there is little to service for the vast majority. Turnstyle operator, catering and these two sub contracted out.

Just curious.

PaulSmith
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Bearing in mind that those listed as directors will have little day-to-day impact, I think that's actually quite a streamlined operation for one of it's size, though of course they will have extra staff working beneath them.

Do our directors get paid a FT salary?

What do 15 high profile managers actually do each day, agree that match day it will be busy but that's about 19/20 times a year.

Barney McGrew
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
What do 15 high profile managers actually do each day, agree that match day it will be busy but that's about 19/20 times a year.

I think there's a few in the list that are 'managers' only in name, and don't actually have any direct reports. It's a case of a creative job titles that will look nice on their CVs.:greengrin

IIRC, both Bruce Langholm and Amanda Jones are non-salaried but I may be wrong. The other four get paid.

PaulSmith
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I think there's a few in the list that are 'managers' only in name, and don't actually have any direct reports. It's a case of a creative job titles that will look nice on their CVs.:greengrin

IIRC, both Bruce Langholm and Amanda Jones are non-salaried but I may be wrong. The other four get paid.

I'm not picking holes Barney I was just curious on the back of recent posts about the highly paid board.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
#32 Mikey Forrester, supplier of jellies and other recreational substances to the discerning fan.

Barney McGrew
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm not picking holes Barney I was just curious on the back of recent posts about the highly paid board.

:worms:

:greengrin

Aubenas
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Think Jim Pryde's retired. Replaced by guy from Rangers or Hearts IIRC

Peevemor
03-09-2010, 06:38 PM

It looks to me like that's exactly what you're trying to do.

Off the pitch, Hibs is an extremely well run club.

The player budget has been steadily increased for the past few years - what successive managers have chosen to do with it is a different story.

For me, the main criticism that could be made of the board is the quality of their managerial appointments, although JC, Mixu and Yogi were all seen as good appointments by the vast majority of .net's expert posters.

OtterHibee
03-09-2010, 06:52 PM

We do. The Finance Director is Jamie Marwick - announced earlier on this year. See here (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100315/club-appoint-new-finance-director-_2262950_1994805).

Andrew Sleight :agree:

It's the Stadium Manager that came from Hearts. Jim is still in post, and as far as I'm aware has no plans to retire as yet.

Phil D. Rolls
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
It looks to me like that's exactly what you're trying to do.

Off the pitch, Hibs is an extremely well run club.

The player budget has been steadily increased for the past few years - what successive managers have chosen to do with it is a different story.

For me, the main criticism that could be made of the board is the quality of their managerial appointments, although JC, Mixu and Yogi were all seen as good appointments by the vast majority of .net's expert posters.

In fairness to Collins, maybe his expectations were too high. :greengrin

Caversham Green
03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Numbers of commercial and admin staff at clubs of comparable size according to their accounts:

Hibs - 33
Aberdeen - 31
Dundee Utd - 31
Hearts - 58

This includes paid directors, part-time staff, cleaners etc.

Reading have 280 - I assume this includes Hotel staff but still.....that's what you call top heavy.

bigstu
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Nah he's still there, saw him at the Huns game. His role would also be known as Head of Security, it's currently a part time job.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Numbers of commercial and admin staff at clubs of comparable size according to their accounts:

Hibs - 33
Aberdeen - 31
Dundee Utd - 31
Hearts - 58

This includes paid directors, part-time staff, cleaners etc.

Reading have 280 - I assume this includes Hotel staff but still.....that's what you call top heavy.

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

monktonharp
03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
what's a QPM?:confused: quite perfect man?

bigstu
03-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Queens Police Medal

monktonharp
03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Queens Police Medaloh,a queens police medal.....................now that is impressive:yawn: I might have seen him at the battle of Orgreave then.:wink:

Aubenas
04-09-2010, 12:34 AM
It's the Stadium Manager that came from Hearts. Jim is still in post, and as far as I'm aware has no plans to retire as yet.

Ooops - apologies to Jim. Havering again!:confused:

Stantons Angel
04-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Thats the problem here isnt it?

People come on with an idea thinking it will raise interest and it has all been gone over before.

The annual accounts have been issued on the official site at the time of the AGM all the questions asked here have already been answered and figures quoted.

For example season ticket sales, wages and retail operations against turnover are all detailed in the account displayed. A football club does not function over the 19 Spl games and does not just run from August to May each year.

Its ridiculous to say the staff have nothing to do during the summer or the weeks when the team play away from home. Just like our jobs when we are on holiday. The processes are kept running by those still working?

The QPM referred to is a highly prestigious award given to very few policemen for services to the police and the community. The appointment of John Boag has caused a little confusion around Jim Pryde's role at the club and i think it could have been better explained by the club.

The number of staff in relation to other SPL clubs seems reasonable, isnt it posters on this site that come on complaining that there isnt enough staff when tickets go on sale etc?

By the way Richard Alexander left the shop store last season, undertaking a franchise for the Jambos!

Hope my undertakings have helped make things a wee bit clearer for you,:bye:

PaulSmith
04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

People come on with an idea thinking it will raise interest and it has all been gone over before.

The annual accounts have been issued on the official site at the time of the AGM all the questions asked here have already been answered and figures quoted.

For example season ticket sales, wages and retail operations against turnover are all detailed in the account displayed. A football club does not function over the 19 Spl games and does not just run from August to May each year.

Its ridiculous to say the staff have nothing to do during the summer or the weeks when the team play away from home. Just like our jobs when we are on holiday. The processes are kept running by those still working?

The QPM referred to is a highly prestigious award given to very few policemen for services to the police and the community. The appointment of John Boag has caused a little confusion around Jim Pryde's role at the club and i think it could have been better explained by the club.

The number of staff in relation to other SPL clubs seems reasonable, isnt it posters on this site that come on complaining that there isnt enough staff when tickets go on sale etc?

By the way Richard Alexander left the shop store last season, undertaking a franchise for the Jambos!

Hope my undertakings have helped make things a wee bit clearer for you,:bye:

Sorry I can't recall there ever being one thread about the various behind the scenes staff at Easter Road. As a shareholder I also cannot ever recall questions at the AGM around the number of staff employed at ER, directors yes but other high profile roles no.

I'll need to check the last set of accounts but again I cannot ever recall ST sales being individually split in the income section of the accounts either.

I'd imagine the summer months might be some of the busier times actually for the retail, ticket and commercial staff. As soon as the season kicks off though, I honestly dunno hence the reason for the post.
Ticket sales during the season will be co-ordinated by the ticket office manager with assistance from temp staff.

For example I've no idea why we now need a Stadium Manager, does anyone? We already have an operations and security manager and Gary O'Hagon was in effect the stadium manager.

If Richard Alexander has left the club then maybe someone should tell the official web site :wink:

All these employees are in the public eye and we do/still spend a fair highly % on TO on these guys so I do think that they should be accountable.

Bostonhibby
04-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Fishman? - supplier of all Piscean requirements, forecaster of transfer targets, general Propheciser - probably doesn't cost any money either, come on Rod, make him official.

Stantons Angel
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Good answer.

I too am a shareholder and being a shareholder and a supporter does give you the right to ask these questions at the AGM.

Im not getting at you when i say this but too many come on here spouting forth and have not read the official site information. Its just a bugbear with me thats all.

You are right though they should change the retail manager's details!
:agree:

oregonhibby
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
All these employees are in the same public eye as, say, John Lewis's staff. They don't have to explain in detail what they do.

Garry O'Hagan is a main Board Director and Club Secretary. A key role with the football authorities. A stadium manager is needed to deal with what is now a £20m capital asset, that like most buildings needs fully serviced and maintained.

The pre season activity at the Club is as busy as any.

Given the level of complaints about PR, ticket sales and customer service etc, it could be argued that there is not enough staff in the Club! However, it is a tightly run business. The Club has always attempted to get as much money on to the playing side as possible, but it does need to have staff to run an operation that is there seven days for a product that is played on one.

Non-executive Directors receive no payment. The main Board executive members receive the highest payment and compared to other businesses their payment is ok, not great, ok!

Clearly, the Chairman and CEO have the highest payments, although generally well below the manager and some playing staff, however, football is a seven day, and normally 12 -15 hour a day job, plus the phone calls at home etc; ask their partners, so the hourly rate is not as good as the headline.

The Club publish Annual Accounts in accordance with governance rules and they are clear and transparent. Can they be clearer - yes but so can everyones.

Finally, some the people that work there are high profile and in the public eye and, as a result, take all the grief associated with that together with occasional grudging complement. My experience (for 8 years) is that they do it out of their love for the Club. The others deserve the peace to get on with the job they are paid to do without undue scrutiny.

A football club is clearly different from John Lewis but I do feel sometimes we all have unreasonable expectations on what right we have to some of the information demanded.

Rant over.

PC Stamp
04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
All these employees are in the same public eye as, say, John Lewis's staff. They don't have to explain in detail what they do.

Garry O'Hagan is a main Board Director and Club Secretary. A key role with the football authorities. A stadium manager is needed to deal with what is now a £20m capital asset, that like most buildings needs fully serviced and maintained.

Given the level of complaints about PR, ticket sales and customer service etc, it could be argued that there is not enough staff in the Club! However, it is a tightly run business. The Club has always attempted to get as much money on to the playing side as possible, but it does need to have staff to run an operation that is there seven days for a product that is played on one.

Non-executive Directors receive no payment. The main Board executive members receive the highest payment and compared to other businesses their payment is ok, not great, ok!

Clearly, the Chairman and CEO have the highest payments, although generally well below the manager and some playing staff, however, football is a seven day, and normally 12 -15 hour a day job, plus the phone calls at home etc; ask their partners, so the hourly rate is not as good as the headline.

The Club publish Annual Accounts in accordance with governance rules and they are clear and transparent. Can they be clearer - yes but so can everyones.

Finally, some the people that work there are high profile and in the public eye and, as a result, take all the grief associated with that together with occasional grudging complement. My experience (for 8 years) is that they do it out of their love for the Club. The others deserve the peace to get on with the job they are paid to do without undue scrutiny.

A football club is clearly different from John Lewis but I do feel sometimes we all have unreasonable expectations on what right we have to some of the information demanded.

Rant over.

:top marks

truehibernian
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone know what Chris Hogg does ? I see his name listed every week and his title is "captain" ??? Captain of what anyone and what does he do ? :greengrin

James70
04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Strange, I don't see Tam McCourt's name listed here. :wink:

Sas_The_Hibby
04-09-2010, 06:04 PM
We're maybe not a very good football side but calling us a non football side's a bit harsh! :grr: :greengrin

ArabHibee
04-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Judith Ireland, Ticket Office Manager.
Amanda Vettese, Matchday Sales Manager. Tel:
Richard Alexander, Manager Retail Operations.
James S Pryde QPM, Operations Advisor.
Sue McLernon, Community Manager.
Stadium Manager - John Boag
Director - Amanda Jones
Chairman - Rod Petrie
Chief Exec - Scott Lyndsey
Fyfe Hyland - Communications& Commercial Director
Gary O'Hagon - Director/club secretary
Russell Smith - Corporate and Commerical Manager
Bruce Langholm - Director

Is this too top heavy for a club with only 19 home games per season?

Guy in bold now works for the Jambos. :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Guy in bold now works for the Jambos. :bitchy:

Was the fee disclosed?

glow1875
04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Anyone know what Chris Hogg does ? I see his name listed every week and his title is "captain" ??? Captain of what anyone and what does he do ? :greengrin

Naughty :tee hee:

matty_f
04-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Rant over.

Quality post:top marks

MSK
04-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Rant over.One of the most sensible posts i have read on here for a long long time ..:agree:

ArabHibee
04-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Was the fee disclosed?

:wink: No, but you can read more about it here:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20100715/hearts-and-srm-in-major-retail-deal_2241384_2090078

He supports the huns anyway - nae loss. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Rant over.

Well put S :thumbsup:

discman
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Well put S :thumbsup:

Well put maybe; See the bit from oregonhibbt that starts.."Clearly the chairman and ceo have the highest payments although generally well below the manager etc"
In 2008 RP received 6.6% payrise but reduced bonus of £12,500 bringing his total cost to hibs to £191,057! so theres that, see these people who say they have shares in hibs,can I ask,where you got them,how much were they when you bought them and how much they are now? cos i would maybe like to buy some,well maybe 5 or 10! I was under the distinct impression that tom farmer owns 90% and RP owns 10%.. so clarification pretty please

monktonharp
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Hope my undertakings have helped make things a wee bit clearer for you,:bye:what's with the wave smiley? it was the OP that merely asked if anyone could explain why there were so many managers/positions etc,without actually understanding most of them. ,and yeah,the QPM must be a very important add on to your title,if you are that way inclined,sorry mate but for me....a man's a man for a' that and a' that..........if you get ma drift,and for his services to the polis,well he must have done a lot of good to get that title,but dinnae expect a'body to fall in line wi' your feelings,this is a message board open to discussion.imho